As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G. Morrison's Animal Mindfuck

Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
On the recommendation of many at the forum, I just read Grant's Animal Man run for the first time. Despite not being a DC fan, and having a fairly slow start, oh boy did it get good.

The last arc, where everything goes a bit meta, is one of the most creative things I've ever read. The moments I felt really stood out were:
1) The death of Buddy's family. We're told in the issue that their lives are simply constructs for our entertainment and that, by association, they're killed for our pleasure. As bizarre as it seems, when you see them dead, it's hard not to feel a pang of guilty responsibility.

2) Ultraman breaking through the fourth wall, followed by Overman threatening to come through and destroy our world with the Doomsday Bomb. Somehow, it's genuinely intimidating.

3) I can see you!

So when did you people discover this? Does being a DC fan add much to the story? How was it received at the time? Do you think fourth-wall concepts can be taken any further in comics, or is this as far as it goes?

God bless you Grant Morrison, you twisted Scottish bastard.

Bob The Monkey on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    my favorite thing about it is that when I got to the end, I found out that all the things I didn't like were done on purpose and that made it better

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so great

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I didn't read any other Animal Man books, but I specifically went to the store and hunted down a copy of the final, big reveal issue of this. Great read, and fun to just have lying around.
    It's also nice to see them referencing this later. In the JLApe event, Jonn goes to get help from Buddy in controlling their new animal instincts, and he freaks out. He doesn't want to be integral to the story for long, so he quickly sends the Manhunter packing.

Later, in Crisis and 52, they reference the 'real world' a bit with Buddy and Superboy/Luthor as well.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Grant Morrison's Animal Man could be my favorite run on a comic ever.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Easily one of the greatest single pages in a comic, ever.
    AnimalMan03-003sm.png

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That is honestly pretty creepy.

I only have the first trade, but hot damn I love it. I'm going to pick up the others ASAP.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I actually just bought the first trade this past Wednesday on my weekly trip to the comic shop. I'm liking it so far, even though it does seem to be a bit "out there." I think my favorite part is Cliff's buzzcut/mini-mullet, if only because a part of me laughs every time I see it.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My favorite part has always been the lunch date in issue #23.

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Was Overman someone Grant created for the story, or is there an actual Elseworlds story about him? Also, Sunshine Superman?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there a trade collecting all this? I've been meaning to get it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've just read the first 10 issues or so.

It is ..... ok so far.

I'm not really hooked yet.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Is there a trade collecting all this? I've been meaning to get it.
    Wiki wrote:
    Vol. #1 Animal Man - Animal Man #1-9
    Vol. #2 Origin Of The Species - Animal Man #10-17 plus the 19-page story from Secret Origins #39
    Vol. #3 Deus Ex Machina - Animal Man #18-26

Furu on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »

It is ..... ok so far.

the first handful of issues was written with the idea it was only going to be a mini-series. Trust me, what this comic does and how it makes it work is borderline impossible.

In Grant We Trust

Algertman on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It is ..... ok so far.

I felt the same after 10.

It picks up unimaginably.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It is ..... ok so far.

I felt the same after 10.

It picks up unimaginably.

It's awesome in the first trade. If you think about how it was written as monthly issues, at the end of issue #1
    Buddy is lying on the ground bleeding to death because he's missing an arm
    and then at the start of issue #2
    He reaches out and finds an earthworm to use it's regenerative abilities

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, I liked that.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    invisible_alinvisible_al Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Coyote Gospel, I think that's up there as one of my favourite comics ever, it's just so very very sad *sniff*.
    Wile E Coyote asks God why there is so much suffering in his world, so he sends him to the DC universe to suffer for all his worlds sins.

invisible_al on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    One of the best panels in Infinite Crisis, sort of an homage to Animal Man, is
    when Alexander Luthor is searching through the worlds and finds... Earth Prime.
    He starts reaching through the panels while looking at the reader.

Squashua on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God this was an awesome book. And yeah, I actually really enjoyed the earlier ones. The way he seemed to notice that fighting wasn't always the best answer, that the status quo wasn't necessarily worth preserving... specifically the Time Commander and some of the more animal/human rights oriented stories.

Also, I love the ones he was just sort of an incidental character in. Coyote Gospel and that one with the Thanagaarians.
    It also totally makes me want to write happy endings for all the tragic characters I've seen.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God this was an awesome book. And yeah, I actually really enjoyed the earlier ones. The way he seemed to notice that fighting wasn't always the best answer, that the status quo wasn't necessarily worth preserving... specifically the Time Commander and some of the more animal/human rights oriented stories.

Also, I love the ones he was just sort of an incidental character in. Coyote Gospel and that one with the Thanagaarians.
    It also totally makes me want to write happy endings for all the tragic characters I've seen.

What I love about the Thanagarrian one is how, despite being a company-mandated tie-in, Grant does a great callback to it near the end of the series anyway:
    "All you have to do is turn it off"

It's a great little scene, and really strikes home how much Animal Man grew as a character over Morrison's run. Little touches like this really make the series in a lot of ways.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Coyote Gospel, I think that's up there as one of my favourite comics ever, it's just so very very sad *sniff*.
    Wile E Coyote asks God why there is so much suffering in his world, so he sends him to the DC universe to suffer for all his worlds sins.

I felt weird when I read it. It's incredibly rare that a feel such strong emtions when reading stuff. I never thought I would feel something from a comic book.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Charmy wrote: »

What I love about the Thanagarrian one is how, despite being a company-mandated tie-in, Grant does a great callback to it near the end of the series anyway:

What's really interesting trivia is that the whole Thanagarian scene somehow creates a gigantic fiasco for Hawkman continuity historians, because there is supposedly something inheriently incorrect with that entire scene.

I don't know what it is, but I remember reading people bitch about it.

Multiple people.

Loudly.

Squashua on
  • Options
    MinkyUrungusMinkyUrungus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Screw Thanagarrians.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe it was because Hawkman was smiling. Birds don't smile. Beaks and such.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Occam's Rocket LauncherOccam's Rocket Launcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Damn I need to read this apparently.

Occam's Rocket Launcher on
    All things being equal, the simplest solution is to blow it into tiny pieces with explosives.