As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linksville, alpha, the forums, and you...

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
K guys, sorry about the severe lack of updates. Rather than make three threads, Im going to make one big one.
1) Linksville is comming back. It is unlocked and the new mod is working away at getting it setup the way he likes it. I know you can't see it, that is intentional, it is hard enough restarting a community, having to have your work criticized before you are finished is just extra strain.
2) Now regarding me, I think it is only fair to level with you guys. Penny Arcade means a lot to me, but there are a couple of things that trump PA. It is no secret that I am a college student, a fair number of you guys know that I have an immune deficiency that occassionally catches up to me. Well, it caught up to me again, but this time it hit me pretty hard. So hard, I'm kinda forced to take the semester off to get back on my feet. I'll be fine, I just need some rest right now.
3) So, what does this mean for the forums? Nothing. I'll probably be online quite a bit once I am feeling better, I'll be able to finish off a lot of code, and life in general should be good. However, there will be times when I might just disapear for a little while, probably about a week at max. During that time, please do not send me the same PM several times, the exception here would be if you are waiting for over 9-10 days for an answer. If it is truly important, find a staff member and talk to them, they all have my contact info.
4) Here is what you guys can expect in terms of a time line
  • PA Forums 2 private alpha - a week or so after phpBB 2.2.x beta released.
  • PA Forums 2 public beta - a week or so after phpBB 2.2.x stable release.
  • PA Forums 1 closed down, PA Forums 2 gets old threads moved over.
  • A big surprise - ???
  • April Fools Prank - April Fools Day.

Questions? Gripes? Annoyances? Post it here and I'll do my best to get back to you.

Älphämönkëy on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Is the private alpha you breifly mentioned there gonna be for the PA club members to scope out or is it going to be a selection of people across the forum in general?

Also, are we going to have to re-register for the new forums?

Thanks for the work Alpha. You know we all <3 you. Get well soon.

Henroid on
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    We get cool pirate ships? Is that the surprise?

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    bone daddy's modding Linksville? Awesome. That's about as iron_fist.gifed as it can get without bringing Cardboard Tube into the picture.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    bone daddy's modding Linksville?
    Are you judging that from the fact that he has the last post? I dunno if BD is doing it. I mean, handling that and the deputies... :P You know how they are.

Henroid on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Are you judging that from the fact that he has the last post?
    Well, that and how hands-on he was with the lockdown.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    to confirm: all suggestions about minor changes/updates/additions should be made after we've moved, right?

also: hope you get your life back on track in a direction you like

Deusfaux on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    April Fools Prank - April Fools Day.

Too long between pranks. I think it's only fair to inform you that I've filed a grievance with the union.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    Orthanc wrote:

Too long between pranks. I think it's only fair to inform you that I've filed a grievance with the union.

I agree, I vote for a clumsily romantic Valentines Day prank intended to woo the female forumer of Alphas dreams but which intentionally back fires to hilarious comedic effect. It'll be the teen movie sensation of 2005.

Get plenty of fluids Alpha, it's a cold, cold, January.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    Orthanc wrote:

I agree, I vote for a clumsily romantic Valentines Day prank intended to woo the female forumer of Alphas dreams but which intentionally back fires to hilarious comedic effect. It'll be the teen movie sensation of 2005.

With javascript hearts following the mouse, and a nice pink theme......

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited January 2005
    Orthanc wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:

With javascript hearts following the mouse, and a nice pink theme......

I think I may be familiar with your work...

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited January 2005

Yes, well I won several awards in the prestegious "what the fuck were you thinking" webbies category.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Hope you get a nice and speedy recovery, dude! 8)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    B:L wrote:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited January 2005
    Orthanc wrote:

Yes, well I won several awards in the prestegious "what the fuck were you thinking" webbies category.

I hear from a friend that you are quite big in the Japanese Hello Kitty Fan Site scene.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2005
    woo the female forumer of Alphas dreams

Aww, he doesn't have to do all that for me. :)

Unknown User on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2005
    Orthanc wrote:

Speaking of which, I'm currently putting licensing rights to Group Threeâ„¢ up for sale...

Red Machine D on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Can we have a Social Devastation day before PA 1 closes down?

At least do A.F.rica for April 1st :D

Jasconius on
  • jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    I wonder if we'll be allowed to have a "post a funny picture" thread. Heavily moderated of course, and nothing from personal pages, just the regular funny pics your friends spam everyday through email. I wonder...

EDIT:
    Also, the thread with the combustible orange guy needs to be preserved in a safe place.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:

Looks like Raijin, judging from this http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/groupcp.php?g=26215

deadonthestreet on
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    jimenex wrote:
    I wonder if we'll be allowed to have a "post a funny picture" thread.

No.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    B:L wrote:

CJTheran on
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:

Looks like Raijin, judging from this http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/groupcp.php?g=26215
    I haven't seen Raijin around in a while. And I mean not just here - the internet in general. Hopefully he got his shit sorted out and is back on.

Henroid on
  • MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Is the private alpha you breifly mentioned there gonna be for the PA club members to scope out or is it going to be a selection of people across the forum in general?
    It means he's going to be a detective.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
    edited January 2005
    MA17 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    It means he's going to be a detective.
    I can't say I didn't see it coming, because I did as soon as I typed it. :o

Henroid on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2005
    Please take care of yourself.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    "coming"

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    ...a fair number of you guys know that I have an immune deficiency that occassionally catches up to me...

This is some kind of excuse? Unacceptable. :x

Awww, just kiddin, hope ya feel better soon!

Regina Fong on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    So how is the Private beta going to work? How are you picking who gets into the Beta and who does not?

I hope you are better soon alpha

Artoria on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    dragonsama wrote:
    So how is the Private beta going to work? How are you picking who gets into the Beta and who does not?

I hope you are better soon alpha

Everyone who doesn't ask to be invited will be invited. Duh :P

Toast on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    It will be instantly open to all mods + deputies, past and present. I will also have a handful of spots open to forum regs, I will have a thread in here with signups. Beta will be open to all, though you will have to visit a webpage to activate your account on the new forums (it will be the same as alpha sign ups, it just it will be unlocked for all user accounts to use)
    Henroid wrote:
    Nope. I might take the oppertunity to run a password checker, if you password is ridiculously simple I might force you to change it. Oh, accounts that haven't logged in recently (6-12 months) with a low post count (under 250) will be removed.
    Deusfaux wrote:
    to confirm: all suggestions about minor changes/updates/additions should be made after we've moved, right?
    That would be great.
    Orthanc wrote:
    Damn commies and their unions.
    jimenex wrote:
    I wonder if we'll be allowed to have a "post a funny picture" thread.
    No. I think that its been proven we can't have those. I've been burned too many times.

Oh, and thank you guys for your well wishes. It really means a lot to me.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    It will be instantly open to all mods + deputies, past and present.

Woot! :D

Unknown User on
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:

Except you tilde.

denihilist on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:

Does the Brig count? :D

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

No, I will define mod as having an administrator grant you access to see a mod forum. Sorry :wink:

Though, my guess is you will probably make it in.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited January 2005
    denihilist wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Except you tilde.

Oh for the love of glaven....

Unknown User on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2005
    Linksville is open again.

</obvious>

Red Machine D on
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:

Woot indeed.

Henroid on
    edited January 2005
    Orthanc wrote:
    Damn commies and their unions.

Commies is our word man.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • SlartiSlarti Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

No, I will define mod as having an administrator grant you access to see a mod forum. Sorry :wink:

Though, my guess is you will probably make it in.

Do other forums count? :roll:

Slarti on
    edited January 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Nope. I might take the oppertunity to run a password checker, if you password is ridiculously simple I might force you to change it. Oh, accounts that haven't logged in recently (6-12 months) with a low post count (under 250) will be removed.

Does that mean everyone with a post count below 250 will have thier account deleted? Or everyone that has not logged in within 6-12 months that also have a low post count will be deleted? (I hope that question isn't to confusing.)

Unknown User on