As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread for Wednesday, June 13, 2007

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    LET'S

GET DOWN

TO BUSINESS

TO DEFEAT

THE HUNS

DID THEY SEND ME DAUGHTERS

WHEN I ASKED

FOR SONS

Javen on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LET'S

GET DOWN

TO BUSINESS

TO DEFEAT

THE HUNS

WHEN I ASKED

FOR SONS

edit: FUCK!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    can I watch a god damned cartoon movie from the last five years that's not in three fucking dimenstions

is that possible

what's that you say

no I can't

oh

alright

Whippy, Lasseter is making Disney start making hand drawn 2D animation again and leaving CG movies to the only people who know how, Pixar.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    it has surfing penguins

how can you NOT be interested

Because that sounds fucking stupid, even for a kiddie film. Now, if it's some kind of joke or parody or whatever, that's different, but the marketing that I saw for it was playing it pretty straight, minus an admission that this is following a few other "penguin" movies.

The poor marketing is actually included in most reviews. Pretty much everyone agreed it looked horrible, and yet turned out to be pretty damn good. Also, yes it is a parody of sorts.

Marketing is such bullshit. The Break Up, for example, was billed as being funny. It's not fucking funny. It has like two or three funny scenes in total, and they weren't 25 minutes each. Advertising a movie as something that it isn't just makes advertising less relevant and encourages people to ignore ads completely.
    how is that rant relevant?

I mean, I agree

but, what?

Because the marketing for Surf's Up does not make it look at all like what people in this thread have said it is.

Defender on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    So what makes you want 2D instead of 3D, Whippy?

This makes me think of the fact that even our 3D stuff is all actually 2D anyway...it's not like we have actual 3D holographic projectors or anything.

I just yearn for the days when colors were vibrant and each act break had a musical number.

The occasional 3d cartoon is fine. Toy Story was fantastic. But every god damned cartoon doesn't need to look like it. The medium has become stale. The last good, hand drawn, American cartoon I can think of was Lilo and fucking Stitch. Everything since has been either terrible or so realistic that I haven't seen an actual cartoon in theaters since I-don't-know-god-damned-when.

Whippy on
    edited June 2007
    it has surfing penguins

how can you NOT be interested

Because that sounds fucking stupid, even for a kiddie film. Now, if it's some kind of joke or parody or whatever, that's different, but the marketing that I saw for it was playing it pretty straight, minus an admission that this is following a few other "penguin" movies.

The poor marketing is actually included in most reviews. Pretty much everyone agreed it looked horrible, and yet turned out to be pretty damn good. Also, yes it is a parody of sorts.

Marketing is such bullshit. The Break Up, for example, was billed as being funny. It's not fucking funny. It has like two or three funny scenes in total, and they weren't 25 minutes each. Advertising a movie as something that it isn't just makes advertising less relevant and encourages people to ignore ads completely.
    how is that rant relevant?

I mean, I agree

but, what?

Because the marketing for Surf's Up does not make it look at all like what people in this thread have said it is.

Oh man, remember when The Cable Guy was marketed as the next wacky Jim Carrey movie? Yeah, that was kinda off.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited June 2007
    So what makes you want 2D instead of 3D, Whippy?

This makes me think of the fact that even our 3D stuff is all actually 2D anyway...it's not like we have actual 3D holographic projectors or anything.

I just yearn for the days when colors were vibrant and each act break had a musical number.

The occasional 3d cartoon is fine. Toy Story was fantastic. But every god damned cartoon doesn't need to look like it. The medium has become stale. The last good, hand drawn, American cartoon I can think of was Lilo and fucking Stitch. Everything since has been either terrible or so realistic that I haven't seen an actual cartoon in theaters since I-don't-know-god-damned-when.

I love Lilo and Stitch

Whippy, have you heard about The Frog Princess? It's Disney's return to hand drawn animation. It's about a voodoo girl in Louisiana or something.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited June 2007
    The Cable Guy was a shitfest.

I would've rather watched Larry The Cable Guy for that length of time. I don't even care if Larry was taking a shit or sleeping on couch or whatever.

Defender on
    edited June 2007

I would've rather watched Larry The Cable Guy for that length of time. I don't even care if Larry was taking a shit or sleeping on couch or whatever.

I really can't think of anything for which I'd rather watch Larry the Cable Guy.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

that's pretty harsh.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited June 2007

I really can't think of anything for which I'd rather watch Larry the Cable Guy.

carlos mencia

because at least I can identify with the southern humour

Whippy on
    edited June 2007

carlos mencia

Yeah I mean at least Larry's jokes aren't just straight racism. His jokes may be dumb or low-brow or whatever, but they're not just "black people beaners chinks" followed by the "Oh no I didn't just go there" face for half an hour.

Defender on
    edited June 2007

carlos mencia

Hmmm. I think you may have a winner there. It's a toss up for me. They're both equally horrible.

It's like one of those terrible "which would you rather do" questions.

Would you rather have your eyes or your tongue ripped out?

Would you rather have no arms or no legs?

Would you rather watch Carlos Mencia or Larry the Cable Guy?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Agreed wholeheartedly. In fact:

photo_18.jpg

Whoops Columbia, did we accidentally forget to mention the soul-crushingly depressing latter two-thirds of this movie?

Halfmex on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Simpons movie is 2D dogg.

Also South Park movie, but that was probably more than 5 years ago. I think.

What about... um... anime movies? Do those count?

No, I guess they don't.

Ratatoullie looks great but I mean, how can it not be?

John Lasseter is so amazing. I saw him on that Dick & Dick show talking about how he always rents the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile to go to the Academy Awards show in.

What you don't see, because they don't show it on TV, is all the protestors outside the Oscars. They rope off the last couple of blocks so you only see smiling fans and red carpets and shit. But outside of that is blocks and blocks of angry screaming protestors...

So while every other celeberity is racing past in their black limos with the windows rolled up tight, with every protestor in SoCal screaming and yelling and shaking their fists at them as they pass.. Along comes the Weinermobile, sun roof wide open, John Lasseter hanging out, tossing hot dogs into the crowd.... and they all stop their yelling and protesting for a minute and smile and squeal with glee as they try to catch themselves a free weiner.

Then he passes on by and they go back to yelling and shouting at black limos.

How f'in awesome is that.

jwalk on
    edited June 2007
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Agreed wholeheartedly. In fact:

photo_18.jpg

Whoops Columbia, did we accidentally forget to mention the soul-crushingly depressing latter two-thirds of this movie?

Yeah I've been meaning to see that ever since I learned it actually had a point instead of just Adam Sandler playing God and fucking with people via magic powers for 90 minutes.

Defender on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Click was awesome.

Though yeah, I totally expected it to suck.

Strato on
    edited June 2007
    jwalk wrote: »
    What you don't see, because they don't show it on TV, is all the protestors outside the Oscars. They rope off the last couple of blocks so you only see smiling fans and red carpets and shit. But outside of that is blocks and blocks of angry screaming protestors...

What are they protesting? Movies in general?

Defender on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LET'S

GET DOWN

TO BUSINESS

TO DEFEAT

THE HUNS

WHEN I ASKED

FOR SONS
    YOU'RE THE SADDEST BUNCH

I EVER MET

BUT YOU CAN BET (ugh!)

BEFORE WE'RE THROUGH

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited June 2007
    Man, what aren't they protesting?

I'm sure it's a nice broad mix of everything you can imagine... If it's not the moral majority fuckwits protesting ass and tits, I'm sure somebody, somewhere blames Hollywood and celebrities for all the ills of the world.

jwalk on
    edited June 2007
    You have to say the BET with a grunt in it because he gets whacked in the gut with a staff because Mushu put a bug in Mulan's clothes and she's freaking out and swinging wildly.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited June 2007

What are they protesting? Movies in general?

Extravagance?

Whippy on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    click was so amazingly depressing

holy shit

PiptheFair on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You have to say the BET with a grunt in it because he gets whacked in the gut with a staff because Mushu put a bug in Mulan's clothes and she's freaking out and swinging wildly.

How did they get so much awesome into one movie?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

holy shit

man, whatever

Strato on
    edited June 2007
    Mulan used to be my favorite but then Lilo and Stitch became my favorite.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Strato wrote: »

holy shit

man, whatever

ok

explain to me how the vast majority was not just one thing to make you want to kill yourself after the next

PiptheFair on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I was looking on Rotten Tomatoes, and they just didn't like TMNT.

But then looking back, they never really liked any of the TMNT movies.

DarkPrimus on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I've been meaning to see that ever since I learned it actually had a point instead of just Adam Sandler playing God and fucking with people via magic powers for 90 minutes.
    There is no fucking reason to see that movie.

It's one of the worst movies that I have ever seen.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Man, I was looking on Rotten Tomatoes, and they just didn't like TMNT.

But then looking back, they never really liked any of the TMNT movies.

they aren't, strictly speaking, good movies

they're enjoyable, yeah

but not good

if you follow me

(but rotten tomatoes sucks because it is made of critics who suck)

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2007
    There is no fucking reason to see that movie.

It's one of the worst movies that I have ever seen.

If you don't say why, I can't attribute any value to your opinion.

Defender on
    edited June 2007
    What, you mean it isn't 2 hours of that wa-wa-wacky Adam Sandler fast-forwarding thru arguments with his girlfriend (yakkity-yack, right fellas?) or slo-mo-ing girls with big juggly tits jogging?

:(

jwalk on
    edited June 2007
    What, you mean it isn't 2 hours of that wa-wa-wacky Adam Sandler fast-forwarding thru arguments with his girlfriend (yakkity-yack, right fellas?) or slo-mo-ing girls with big juggly tits jogging?

No, from what I've heard it's not. It's more like (this is a real spoiler, it seems we don't have "realspoiler" tags):
    He does all that stuff, but he gets used to the device and fast-forwards through stupid or boring bullshit all the time. The result is that he misses most of life, since most of life (the film argues) is in the mundane, day-to-day stuff that we do, the things like in an hour when my girlfriend will come from class and we'll have dinner and she'll go to bed and I'll play Warcraft and work on some programming stuff, not in the "fun but rare" events like weddings and birthdays and having sex while on vacation at the shore. By the end, he's missed his whole life, and basically dies sad and alone.

Defender on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

No, from what I've heard it's not. It's more like (this is a real spoiler, it seems we don't have "realspoiler" tags):
    He does all that stuff, but he gets used to the device and fast-forwards through stupid or boring bullshit all the time. The result is that he misses most of life, since most of life (the film argues) is in the mundane, day-to-day stuff that we do, the things like in an hour when my girlfriend will come from class and we'll have dinner and she'll go to bed and I'll play Warcraft and work on some programming stuff, not in the "fun but rare" events like weddings and birthdays and having sex while on vacation at the shore. By the end, he's missed his whole life, and basically dies sad and alone.

that's a great ending

Orikaeshigitae on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does it show Christopher Walken laughing maniacally at the end?

Javen on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    The actual ending of Click
    Sandler does "die" cold and alone, but he figures out beforehand that the dude who gave him the remote(Walken) is actually the angel of death. He wakes up on the mattress that he laid down on in Bed, Bath and Beyond before getting the remote. He goes home hugs his kids, kisses his wife etc. and then finds a second remote with a note saying something like "Even Nice Guys deserve a second chance." and he promptly throws it away.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Click was easily one of the worst fucking movies I've ever seen.

Like, not even kidding. Absolute fucking rubbish.

I wanted my two hours back so fucking bad after that.

And I was stuck in the fucking Dallas airport for god damned hours when I saw that shit, bored out of my mind. I could have been giddily entertained by a jackbooted twelve foot tall nazi stomping on my fucking cock over and over again, and that movie still fucking bored me to tears.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2007
    Dude, rank, what's with the pink?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited June 2007
    salmon

Menace on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mulan used to be my favorite but then Lilo and Stitch became my favorite.

I was always an Aladdin man, till I was exposed to the glory that is Emperor's New Groove. I mean, sure it didn't have the most memorable songs, but it is pretty much the funniest disney movie ever made.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
This discussion has been closed.