As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LTTP] Suikoden

14567810»

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You also have to make that trek whenever you want to put McDohl in your party. With all the times the game forcibly empties your group for story sequences, it can get a little irritating.

That's why I used McDohl for the sidequest you get when you go there the first time, and that's it. I never bothered going back to get him again. Was there really any reason to? There are so many other cool characters in the game, I just didn't want him in my party anymore.

(Incidentally, mine was named "GcDohl." Made me want to play through Suiko I again and name him "Mike" just so it would be right when I played II again)

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually, McDohl is the best character in the game stats-wise. He's everything Riou has, only with a much better Magic stat(as high as Mazus or Luc) with an almost equal amount of offensive power. He can do a Unite with Riou that is great for clearing out crowds(like the McDohl + Kai Unite in SI, even the same animation really). His Soul Eater Rune is the strongest in the game, like the first, and the Judgment spell is much better than Forgiver Sign(which you can only ever use once).

Hmm, same HP as Riou. To be honest, he really is the best.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whoa, the overworld music just totally changed on me, Breath of Fire-style.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh hey, about the Level 99 Character Recruitment glitch, anyone get a specific pattern of characters or was it really random?

For example, whenever I replay the game I get the same characters at level 99:
    Hoi
    Pesmerga
    Georg
    Mazus
    L.C.Chan

Now, I know that makes these characters better than pretty much everyone at level 60, but outside of Mazus the rest are fairly throwaway(even the Georg + Pesmerga tanks). It's a shame, really. Would love a level 99 Wakaba.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok, so Suikoden 5 arrived today and I've just started on it.

Looks like the queen is crazy...

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    YerMum wrote: »
    Ok, so Suikoden 5 arrived today and I've just started on it.

Looks like the queen is crazy...

I bought it used for 30 bucks the other day (a great deal for a semi-recent RPG!), and popped it in just to see if it was in a good enough condition to be playable, and named my main character "lol" just for kicks.

The first thing the queen says is "Ah, I've been waiting for you lol!"

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    V is pretty fun, at the end boss now. Looks like grinding time. :?

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Okay, the fact that the battles in the areas from Suikoden 1 actually have the Suikoden 1 battle theme in them?

LITTLE THINGS LIKE THAT, VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY. THEY PUT SMILES ON SIMBEN'S FACE. DO MORE OF THAT.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Okay, the fact that the battles in the areas from Suikoden 1 actually have the Suikoden 1 battle theme in them?

LITTLE THINGS LIKE THAT, VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY. THEY PUT SMILES ON SIMBEN'S FACE. DO MORE OF THAT.

Yar.

Suikoden I & II are pretty much all kinds of awesome, hell, I like them more than most FFs even (and look at my damn avatar). I really really really want VI to take place after III's timeline now, to keep the story moving.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Five was awesome until LOL MAKE 3 PARTIES LOL

Javen on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    I hate when games do that. "HAHAHA YOU'VE SPENT ALL GAME CONCENTRATING ON YOUR FAVORITE SET OF CHARACTERS, NOW JUST TO PISS YOU OFF YOU NEED TO USE ALL THE ONES YOU HATE AS WELL THAT ARE SEVERELY UNDERLEVELED."

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zilla84 wrote: »
    I hate when games do that. "HAHAHA YOU'VE SPENT ALL GAME CONCENTRATING ON YOUR FAVORITE SET OF CHARACTERS, NOW JUST TO PISS YOU OFF YOU NEED TO USE ALL THE ONES YOU HATE AS WELL THAT ARE SEVERELY UNDERLEVELED."

At least Suikoden lets you catch up on levels really quickly. Win one battle with an underleveled character and you get like 7 levels just like that.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Zilla84 wrote: »

At least Suikoden lets you catch up on levels really quickly. Win one battle with an underleveled character and you get like 7 levels just like that.
    Yes. This is another amazingly wonderful feature of all the games.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I finally found my suikoden 1 and 2 discs and try to play em on my PS2 but they won't play on it for some reason. Were they some of the games the PS2 can't play?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So I finally found my suikoden 1 and 2 discs and try to play em on my PS2 but they won't play on it for some reason. Were they some of the games the PS2 can't play?

My PS2 plays Suikoden 2 fine. Maybe it's just your PS2?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »

My PS2 plays Suikoden 2 fine. Maybe it's just your PS2?
    Probally. I was hoping to play them again but I really don't want to get a new PS just to play em.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So hey, I just finally finished S2, and after I'm done eating these chicken tenders, I'm starting on 3.

I finished the last boss in S2 with only Pesmerga left standing vs. the boss's last head. I had to heal almost every other turn, but luckily I'd brought enough Mega Medicine to cure a small army, so I slowly chipped away at the boss's health till I won by attrition. I always find it weirdly satisfying to end an RPG like that.

Oh, and as a whole, my impression of S2: kicked so much ass. I can see why everyone's saying it's the best in the series, and I honestly can't quite imagine any future Suikoden being just better than it. All the little elements just worked so well together.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I still do not see how S2 is better than S1 no matter how many times I play S2. Everything feels a bit more epic in S1. Sure, worse graphics... but S1 definitely has a better soundtrack. I cringed quite a bit at the majority of the themes in S2.

*shrug* Dunno. I have yet to play V.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really wish they would re-release I and II either on PSN or the PSP. I just wonder what's holding them back.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick