As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Call of Cthulhu: The Edge of Darkness

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2007 in Social Entropy++
The Cast
In which we discover the names of our protagonists, and simultaneously understand that no one else is allowed to post in this thread

bsjezz - Dick Ravage, pool cleaner

Kuribo's Shoe - Ben Buffet, professional hobo

Pharezon - William Orwell, foot soldier

ZeroZero - John Blackstone, Archaeologist

mrpaku - Sam Watkins, career criminal

The Hook

In which a missive is recieved from an old friend

Having recieved a summons from Agnes Merriweather regarding the failing health of her husband, Rupert, the motley five meet at St. Mary's Hospital in Arkham at his request.

You enter the dingy room and glance briefly around. Mr. Merriweather, looking much sicklier than you remember, gestures weakly for you to come forward. In a raspy whisper, he introduces you to his wife, Agnes, a frumpy woman of later years, and his son, Bertrand, a sneering, weasel-like unpleasant middle-aged man.

After pleasantries are exchanged, he asks for a moment alone with you. His wife and son leave the room reluctantly, and after the door is shut he explains why he has called you here.

"In the days of my youth," he says, "I and some fellow students involved ourselves in what we believed to be an innocent exploration of the occult. Led by a slightly older man named Marion Alien, we purchased an old farmhouse a few miles west of Arkham, near the village of Ross's Corners. There, we could conduct our fool seances and 'psychic research' in privacy."

He pauses to drink some water from the nightstand.

"The unexpected result of our last experiment was the summoning of some evil force into this world. Instead of attempting to expel the thing, we abandoned the old house, confident that the magic which brought it to this world would keep it confined to the vacant house.

"However, the spell only binds the being to the house as long as the casters live. I'm the last of the group, and I fear that upon my death, the awful thing will go free and wreak havoc on the countryside."

He gestures weakly to an innocuous metal box on the night stand beside the bed.

"Take the box," he croaks. "All the aid I can offer you lies within. You must find a way to send the thing back where it came from. You must see that this is done. Do this for me."

((PM me to decide who picks up the box.))

Orikaeshigitae on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Blackstone picks up the box, but before he can open it, Rupert is choked by a sudden spasm.

He doubles up, groans, then coughs forth a huge gout of blood and tissue - spattering Blackstone and Buffet, who happened to be standing near the nightstand, with effluvience - then falls insensible to the bed.

((Roll SAN checks.))

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SAN=70

SAN check=33

result: Passed

"Good god! What happed! Is he alright!? Some one get a doctor, quick!"

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SANITY is 75

Roll was _93_

:O

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ((Investigators who roll over their SAN stat lose 1 point of Sanity. Investigators who roll under (fail) lose 0 points.))

Rupert's concerned wife and son enter the room quickly, followed by a tidal wave of doctors and nurses, who politely ask all of you to leave, since you're in the way.

((roleplaying introductions?))

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SAN = 55

SAN check = 14

Result: Passed

"Jeezum! He's gone a gusher!"

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "I don't like the looks of that box. I seen that metal before. They use it to hold in the strongest chemicals, you know, real heavy acid and such. I aint touchin' it."

ed: Dick instantly represses the violent image of the old man's death, but it seeps into the dark corners of his sleeping subconscious.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SAN=50

SAN check= 36

Result=Passed

"What the hell..."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    San is 65
    San roll is 58
    Pass

*eyes the metal box as he is pushed out of the room by the medical personnel*

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Well that was...interesting. I hope he is alright."

"it's nice to meat you chaps. My name is Jon Blackstone, Archaeologist and Explorer. How did you know Rupert?"

• Options
    edited June 2007
    "Sam Watkins...say, there a lock on that box?"

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Well, m'name's Ben, Ben Buffet, but ev'rbody calls me Lugnut. Ev'rbody who bothers a talkin' to me anymore. Ol' Rupe used t'be my benefactor, but we fell out a ways back."

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "I didn't even know I had an' uncle til' I got the letter...must've been on my mother's side."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Jon looks at the box searching it over for a lock

"Doesn't look like there is a lock on here. Shall we open it and see what's inside?"

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "William Orwell in the service of Her Majesty's Armed Forces. They're extended family and dissuaded me from choosing a...questionable career. A pity about him. "

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "I don't s'pose I c'd take a look at that box a'fore you open it, could I? Seems a mite fishy t'me, and I got a knack f'r noticin' things."

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Really think we should take that box somewhere out of the way before popping it open. From the way he talked about it, I don't think it has anything in it other people need to know about. Wouldn't you agree?"

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "I don't s'pose I c'd take a look at that box a'fore you open it, could I? Seems a mite fishy t'me, and I got a knack f'r noticin' things."
    "yeah sure, here you go."

Jon gives the box to Lugnut

"I hope you find some thing."

• Options
    edited June 2007
    The exterior of the box is decorated with strange designs, which Buffet, having no education in that sort of thing, cannot identify.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

"Is that your way of telling us you like shiny things?"

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    mrpaku wrote: »
    "Really think we should take that box somewhere out of the way before popping it open. From the way he talked about it, I don't think it has anything in it other people need to know about. Wouldn't you agree?"
    "Good idea. Lugnut, why don't we go out side before we do any thing with the box?"

• Options
    edited June 2007
    "Well, a'right. I s'pose I don't need any more trouble than I already got."

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Right then. Lets head out side!"

Jon starts to the door

• Options
    edited June 2007
    "I know some things, let me have a look. Those symbols look like they might be astrological signs."

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's a nice day outside, providing a stark contrast to the earlier grim events.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ben follows

"Can't make hide n'r hair of them funny symbols."

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    "I know some things, let me have a look. Those symbols look like they might be astrological signs."

"Let him have it. You can take a look at it on our walk. And uh, walk in front of me, if you wouldn't mind."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    History check:

Skill: 50%

roll: 43

• Options
    edited June 2007
    "What an odd way for the world to greet Rupert's death wouldn't you say ?"*William gestures to the clear, sunny day*

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ben hands the box over.

"Here ya go. Thing was giv'n me th' creeps."

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Nah, I ain't touchin' the thing, I just wanted a look! Anyway, I was wrong, see. I don't know the symbols."

(Astronomy check failed)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ZeroZero wrote: »
    History check:

Opening the box, you find another, smaller gold box engraved in heiroglyphs. You quickly identify the glyphs on the box of being Egyptian, of the Middle Kingdom era. However, you don't know how to read them.

The box also contains a small journal, a key, and the deed to a house.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Well, one of y'guys take it, it's mighty cold f'r some reason."

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Look, if you're all gonna just stand around yapping maybe I'll just open it."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    History check:

You quickly identify the glyphs on the box of being Egyptian, of the Middle Kingdom era. However, you don't know how to read them.
    Other Language: Hieroglyphics check:

Skill: 60%

roll: 58

result: passed?

• Options
    edited June 2007
    "Guess y'better. I'm hopin' f'r some cash, m'self. All out of wine."

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "We should go somewhere away from the view of the house. Never know who might be watching from the windows." *gestures to a copse of trees*

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Hold on let me see it. The markings appear to be egyptian Hieroglyphs. I'm having a hard time reading them though..."

• Options
    edited June 2007
    "Fine, whatever, gimme the damn thing and we can go out in the woods and open it. Bunch of nancy boys, I'm tellin' ya..."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    History check:

You quickly identify the glyphs on the box of being Egyptian, of the Middle Kingdom era. However, you don't know how to read them.
    Other Language: Hieroglyphics check:

Skill: 60%

roll: 58

result: passed?
    aid4.png

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "Hey I'm still trying to read these glyphs here. But going into the forest is a good idea"