Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So, let's talk Sega Saturn.

MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2005 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
Some (most) of you had or have at one point owned a Sega Saturn. I did, and it was lost in a flood. In a bout of nostalgia, I recently ordered another one, which should be here later this week. Now, aside from the utterly obvious choices, I'm at a loss to remember a majority of the games that made the Saturn worthwhile. So, discuss. What memories do you have of the Saturn's game library? Japanese or USA games are fine, I just can't remember what's good.

Monoxide on

• HardtargetHardtarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    i did not buy one. this was in my pre-dreamcast days when i still hated sega and was purley a nes/snes man.

camo_sig2.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Guardian Heroes
    I know you're getting Nights
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 (almost no one I see mentions this one)
    Virtual On

• robotsandzombiesrobotsandzombies Registered User
    edited January 2005
    Dragon Force - the end.

• KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Dragon Force - the end.

I think I played this game...is it the one where you got to fight with large armies of like monks and calvary and stuff?? I SO remember playing a game like that on my friend's Saturn.

fss.png
  • DamionDamion Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    Dragon Force - the end.

:^:

But we mustn't forget Panzer Dragoon Saga.

oh and albert odyessy wasn't bad either.

damionitc.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Why I wanted a Sega Saturn:

Die Hard Arcade.

oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / a80250598aa8cc2ffb8563e971973b3d5324b5c2185533c7337134de.ico?ad13179b567f3ff7b14378a5232870d1 eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2005
    I want one. But I haven't gotten around to it.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2005

Die Hard Arcade.

Shit, now I want a Saturn.

• SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005

Die Hard Arcade.

A friend and I spent 10 bucks beating that in the arcade. At the end, it turned into a fighting game where we had to kill each other.
    We were pissed.

3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • TalkingClayTalkingClay Registered User
    edited January 2005
    I still wish I could get a copy of Shinning force 3.... but I'm cheap and lazy.

I'm a magic piece of talking clay.
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Radiant Silvergun
    Sexy Parodius
    DoDonPachi

And Nights, Panzer Dragoon yadda yadda.

I haven't actually owned a Saturn. Thank God for the arcade.

l8kt.png
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Get the Sonic games. But not Sonic 3D.

Err, thats pretty much all I use my Saturn for. Oh, and Nights, but someone already beat me.

• MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    This is all good stuff. Any idea of retailers (B&M or Online, but not eBay) who still sell Saturn games? Most places seem to have purged any memory of the Saturn from their inventory, for one reason or another.

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    SniperGuy wrote:

Die Hard Arcade.

A friend and I spent 10 bucks beating that in the arcade. At the end, it turned into a fighting game where we had to kill each other.
    We were pissed.

One of my friends said that he witnessed, and I shit you not, two people go at it for 30 minutes beating the shit out of each other at the end, poping quarter after quarter.

• Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2005

Die Hard Arcade.

http://users.ign.com/collection/NeoRasa

People always find my Saturn collection to be hilarious, frankly I have no complaints with it at all.

"You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • VenomVenom Registered User
    edited January 2005
    THREE DIRTY DWARVES!

Venom-Spidey.jpg
  • KarnKarn Registered User
    edited January 2005
    Did DragonForce bomb over here or something? Or did DF2 just suck? Why the HELL didn't they ever port it? It is still not too late! :(

I'd buy a DS if they ported DragonForce to it. That would make it the first game I have purchased 3 times.

KarnsigRescue.gif
  • revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Dragon Force - the end.

Mission accomplished.

Start New Thread+

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User
    edited January 2005
    did someone say Dragonforce?

dragonforce-2003-1a.jpg

greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro Frame Runner Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Wipeout on the Saturn was a lot of fun from what I remember. Robo Pit was awesome too.

zcvOnOq.png
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • BlazeHedgehogBlazeHedgehog Registered User
    edited January 2005
    Still have my Saturn. Works, too. Games I own, as well as what I think of 'em:

- The Legend of Oasis: Sequel to "Beyond Oasis" on the Genesis. An alright Prince-of-Persia-styled Zelda-esque ARPG. Never got passed the Forest Dungeon. Sexy 2D Graphics.

- Astal: One of those great games nobody's ever heard of. A great 2D platformer that really flexed the Saturn's sprite-pushing muscle. Has incredible music, too.

- NiGHTS (and, Christmas NiGHTS): I don't even need to talk about this game. Nobody does. One of the best games on the Saturn, let alone any other system.

- Bug Too!: Sequel to "Bug!", which was supposed to be the mascot to replace Sonic (nice job there, Sega). Basically, imagine Gex (the 2D one), without anything that made Gex fun. Very boring, standard platformer fare. 2.5D, but also somewhat ugly looking.

- Clockwork Knight: Everybody seems to love this game, but I can't ever seem to get in to it. You play as Pepperchau (did I spell that right?), a toy soldier who goes to save his girlfriend after she is kidnapped. What ensues is a Toy-Story-like adventure throughout the play room. 2.5D graphics. It's better than Bug Too!, at least.

- Die-Hard Trilogy: Apparently another game people liked, this is three games in one, each for the three movies. Each game is in a different style, and aren't really that bad. A sort of beat'em'up, a light-gun shooter, and a driving game. Meh.

m Myst: I've only seriously sat down once to pla} this and I ended up stumbling in to a library and reading for two hours. I hate point-and-click games.

- Sonic JAM: The original Sonic compilation, that in many ways exceeds Sonic Mega Collection. What it lacks in game volume, it makes up for in heart. The original 4 Sonic games: Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K, plus detailed history and lots of extras that are lots cooler than SMC's. Put simply: Sonic JAM is quality over quantity.

- Sonic 3D Blast: Traveler's Tales craps out a turd that forsakes the Sonic gameplay standard: a game that's one big sluggish fetch-quest. Levels are baren and boring, and take far too long to complete. Saturn version's a hell of a lot prettier than the Genesis version, though.

- Battle Arena Toshinden REMIX: Disgusting. That's all I have to say. Time did not age this game well at all.

- Fighter's Megamix: Aged much better. One of the few games to probably push the Saturn to it's limits. It looks better than Virtua Fighter 2 (and runs at 30fps as a result), and is a lot deeper. Consider it "Marvel vs. Capcom" before it existed: a bunch of characters from Sega's 3D fighters get together to kick each other's asses.

- Virtua Fighter 2: Said to be the most visually impressive Saturn game. An arcade perfect port - that runs at twice the resolution (640x480, I think) and twice the framerate (60fps) of it's arcade counterpart. Impressive.

- Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition: Because the Saturn was rushed out, it was also rushed out with horrible ports of Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 1. Virtua Fighter REMIX and Daytona USA CCE were fixed-up versions of the two respective games. Whereas the original Daytona USA ran at a laughable ~15fps (!) with terrible clipping, CCE runs at a solid 30, and comes with lots of extra tracks and cars. Decent racing to be had.

So, there you have it.

• AshcroftAshcroft I'm all about dem Yens, 'bout dem Yens No creditRegistered User regular
    edited January 2005
    eBay is the only place you'll find Saturn games with any kind of regularity, make sure to pick up a 4 in 1 cart that acts as a memory card, import game player, and extra RAM.

Just for starters you'll be wanting Sega Rally, Burning Rangers, Nights, Xmas Nights, Sega Ages 1 (the best release of Outrun to date), a 3D pad, Sonic R, Dragon Force, Baku Baku, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Fighters Megamix, Street Fighter Alpha II, Die Hard Arcade, a light gun, and House of the Dead.

I meant to write like 3 games there but got carried away. I'm gonna lie down.

foxs1.png
    edited January 2005
    - Bug Too!: Sequel to "Bug!", which was supposed to be the mascot to replace Sonic (nice job there, Sega). Basically, imagine Gex (the 2D one), without anything that made Gex fun. Very boring, standard platformer fare. 2.5D, but also somewhat ugly looking.

- Clockwork Knight: Everybody seems to love this game, but I can't ever seem to get in to it. You play as Pepperchau (did I spell that right?), a toy soldier who goes to save his girlfriend after she is kidnapped. What ensues is a Toy-Story-like adventure throughout the play room. 2.5D graphics. It's better than Bug Too!, at least.

I bet Sega could have replaced Sonic more efficiently if they didn't try to make everyone from these two losers to Sarah Bryant to Janet from Virtua Cop "Sega's official mascot" within the course of like four months.

Astal is INCREDIBLE. I can't believe how unknown this game seems to be, especially given all the hype it got prior to the Saturn's release here.

Battle Arena Toshinden REMIX, ugh. That game was actually hideously ugly and dated, with horrendous controls and all that even for the time it was released. Real shame as demand for a Saturn port of the game was pretty high.

"You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User
    edited January 2005
    Get NiGHTS, with the 3D pad. It's just not fun with the regular controller. The 3D pad was definitely made for NiGHTS. Sonic Jam is great for the nostalgia factor, though Sonic 2 seems to lag for some reason. But, you don't have to unlock the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on games, which is good.

For what it's worth, I'll probably be putting my Saturn on ebay sometime this weekend. I've found I just don't play it anymore, and I could use some more money to fuel my ever-growing Gamecube habit.

It's been region-modded, so you can play JP games (but not burned copies, because I'm cool like that). And while I was under the hood, I also replaced the power and drive LEDs with some spiffy blue ones, cause they look cool

Ask the Prime Minister to have me pass on the details if you're interested

EDIT: bbcowned.

This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
    edited January 2005

I bet Sega could have replaced Sonic more efficiently if they didn't try to make everyone from these two losers to Sarah Bryant to Janet from Virtua Cop "Sega's official mascot" within the course of like four months.

Astal is INCREDIBLE. I can't believe how unknown this game seems to be, especially given all the hype it got prior to the Saturn's release here.

Battle Arena Toshinden REMIX, ugh. That game was actually hideously ugly and dated, with horrendous controls and all that even for the time it was released. Real shame as demand for a Saturn port of the game was pretty high.

• aeolistaeolist Registered User
    edited January 2005
    edited January 2005
    Clockwork Knight isn't bad, as far as I can remember. Clockwork Knight 2 is much better, though, as far as I can remember (and keeping in mind I haven't played the games in 5+ years.)

• BlazeHedgehogBlazeHedgehog Registered User
    edited January 2005
    aeolist wrote:
    DAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAA

20001004l.jpg

Ninja Edit: I remember seeing this comic animated in flash with music and everything. Anybody have a link? It was years ago, but I've always wanted to find it again.

edited January 2005
    Monoxide wrote:
    Clockwork Knight isn't bad, as far as I can remember. Clockwork Knight 2 is much better, though, as far as I can remember (and keeping in mind I haven't played the games in 5+ years.)

Clockwork Knight 2 is the best simply because Clockwork Knight 1 is included with it. Can't go wrong with that. :D

edited January 2005
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

Clockwork Knight 2 is the best simply because Clockwork Knight 1 is included with it. Can't go wrong with that. :D

Well, yeah, but I seem to remember CK2 just being a substancially better game than CK1. Maybe that's why they included it. Like, "Hey, check out how bad this used to be!"

Or maybe not. My memory is hazy as hell.

• AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Dragon Force - the end.

Is that the one where you view the armies from the side, and then you watch as they rush each other? Never played it, but it looked awesome!

edited January 2005
    Monoxide wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

Well, yeah, but I seem to remember CK2 just being a substancially better game than CK1. Maybe that's why they included it. Like, "Hey, check out how bad this used to be!"

Or maybe not. My memory is hazy as hell.

Actually you hit the nail on the head. The original was short and didn't have as much stuff in general as the sequel. The sequel has better balanced difficulty too. It never feels TOO easy or TOO hard to me.

edited January 2005
    I'm going to hate myself and love myself at the same time when I find copies of Dodonpachi and Sexy Parodius. Actually, I'm just going to hate my wallet.

• RohaqRohaq Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    aeolist wrote:
    DAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAA

20001004l.jpg

Ninja Edit: I remember seeing this comic animated in flash with music and everything. Anybody have a link? It was years ago, but I've always wanted to find it again.
    Yes please :)

Also, both NiGHTS and Panzer Dragoon Saga were astounding games. Burning Rangers, whilst short, was a fun attempt at something slightly different - rescuing people, rather than killing them, and the jetpack is fun as hell too.

Spoiler:
  • AshcroftAshcroft I'm all about dem Yens, 'bout dem Yens No creditRegistered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Monoxide wrote:
    I'm going to hate myself and love myself at the same time when I find copies of Dodonpachi and Sexy Parodius. Actually, I'm just going to hate my wallet.

Wait until you see one of the 3 working copies of Saturn Bomberman and the Bomberman multi-tap.

foxs1.png
    edited January 2005
    Burning Rangers, whilst short, was a fun attempt at something slightly different - rescuing people, rather than killing them, and the jetpack is fun as hell too.

That game completely owns the Saturn hardware too. It looks absolutely stunning given what it's running on (even if the framerate was bad at points).

• CambotCambot Registered User
    edited January 2005
    I was off the SEGA wagon forever after buying a Sega CD.

• StillInTheDarkStillInTheDark Registered User
    edited January 2005
    Radiant Silvergun is an absolute must-own. I'd also suggest Virtual-On, but get the NetLink edition (and a NetLink while you're at it). You can still play other people through the "dial-a-game" feature, and it's surprisingly lag free! Other than that, Virtua Cop 2 is a good investment, as well as Fighter's Megamix. And Fighting Vipers, though get the import if you can (it has Pepsiman in it!) And Bomberman for Saturn absolutely ruled...it was the final 2D Bomberman, and it owned. No, wait, it pwned.

And why the hell am I still jailed anyways? It's been like 2 months. I was told my sentence was one day.

twinsig.jpg
  • RohaqRohaq Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

Wait until you see one of the 3 working copies of Saturn Bomberman and the Bomberman multi-tap.
    My friend's little brother broke my Saturn Bomberman.

I think he's going to burn in hell one day.

Although he also runs around the house naked, while my friend has me there, so he's probably in some kind of institute by now.

Spoiler: