Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Webcammin'!

GMaster7GMaster7 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
I realize that there's probably a thread on this somewhere, and I'm not too lazy to search, but I figure instead of bumping I'll just write my own little post. So. My girlfriend's birthday is coming up, and in addition to some things that I'm getting her (among them a pink DSlite, I think, and I'll be referring to the LttP DS thread from a week ago in case I miss anything), I had this idea that I could probably pick up a few webcams (we live a few hours apart, but go to college together), because talking on the phone is nice but we're only really seeing each other every 1.5 - 2 weeks. I don't know if it's really worth it, because it's not like we're a world apart and I don't know what quality is like these days, but I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for small, relatively inexpensive cams and/or software. This stuff doesn't need to be budget-priced, but I don't want to spend $150, either, or really, over $100.

Biddies is expensive.

That being said, any suggestions/ideas/discouragement? Oh, and no :winky:. Please. Well, mild :winky:. But this is just something I thought would let us see each other more often, and I figured this fit into the "&T" category of G&T.

GMaster7 on
PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.Net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
Instructions for joining Pax Arcadia & Pax Arcadia II are in the Destiny OP!

• MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User
    edited June 2007
    You can typically get a good one for less than 50 bucks, I have the creative lab live! camera, and it works decently enough. It's not as high def as when I film on the mac's in the library but it's still good enough for when I want to skype with my friends from home.

It also comes with a nifty little earpiece/mic that's pretty discreet, not at all like the huge headset that I used when on teamspeak.

• Phoenix SmasherPhoenix Smasher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    pic_eyetoy_camera.jpg
    Works like a charm. I'm sure they go for cheap nowdays.

• ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited June 2007
    pic_eyetoy_camera.jpg
    Works like a charm. I'm sure they go for cheap nowdays.

Related kinda; I was gonna suggest the Xbox 360 cam if you have a 360, there pretty good quality considering the price of 'em and they work fine on Windows and os x. Get more for ure money kinda thing.

ginguskahn360.png
  • legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Related kinda; I was gonna suggest the Xbox 360 cam if you have a 360, there pretty good quality considering the price of 'em and they work fine on Windows and os x. Get more for ure money kinda thing.
    Just a heads up, I've had some trouble with the 360 cam in Vista. Other than that, it works great in XP and on the Xbox 360, of course.

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't spend more than $50 on a webcam. As far as live video chat, they're all basically the same--bandwidth and the program you use will end up being the limit before the webcam will.

No matter what you get, it will be more than enough to facilitate the webcam-based phone sex the two of you eventually have.