As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What would you change about SE++ and WHY

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Daric stop giving Thor a bad name or so help me god I'll type at you some more.

Weaver on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We almost never finish a loaf of bread before it goes bad.

And meat? Fuck. Even if I were shopping for two, it'd be a little better.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Listen, I don't know how to cook. To be fair though, neither does my mom. We just pretend whatever she makes is good.

I need to learn how to cook. What can I prepare that is relatively quick to make but still tastes good? Right now, the only thing I ever cook is like ramen noodles and that's rare.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    Listen, I don't know how to cook. To be fair though, neither does my mom. We just pretend whatever she makes is good.

I need to learn how to cook. What can I prepare that is relatively quick to make but still tastes good? Right now, the only thing I ever cook is like ramen noodles and that's rare.

Do you also enjoy Anime and the occasional Manga?

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've watched Bleach but I've never read any Manga.

I'm just really, really lazy.

Daric on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    but fucking lunchables man?

Those things have got to be the most vile thing on Earth.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Rotini with Chicken and Lemon (Rotini con Pollo e Limone)
    Rotini_s.jpgEase of preparation: average
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook time: 15 minutes
    Servings: 4-6
    Regions:
    Wine pairing: White
    [URL="javascript:popUp('images\\Rotini.jpg',420,420,'no','no','zoom')"]icon_zoom.gif[/URL]

Ingredients
    1/3 cupextra virgin olive oil

1 cup (8-10 medium)shallots, thinly sliced

1 poundboneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin slices

1lemon, zest and juice separated and reserved

1 cupchicken broth

1 box (16 ounces) Rotini

1 teaspoonsalt

1/8 teaspoonfreshly ground black pepper

1/3 cupParmigiano cheese, freshly grated

BRING a large pot of water to a boil.
    HEAT oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté shallots for 5 minutes, until soft. ADD chicken and increase heat to high; cook chicken an additional 4-5 minutes.
    ADD lemon juice lemon zest, and chicken broth to skillet. Simmer for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
    ADD pasta to boiling water. Cook according to package directions.
    HEAT sauce through while pasta is cooking.
    DRAIN pasta and immediately add to sauce. Stir in Parmigiano cheese and chopped parsley. Mix well.
    TRANSFER to a serving platter or bowl and serve.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No.

I'm sorry you are wrong.

The pizza lunchable is by far the best one followed closely by the Stackers.

Daric on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fuckin Okies! Get the fuck out of my west

Fuck you cock knocker.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    I can cook but I don't like doing the cleaning process afterwards.

My first experience cooking was with a Stuffed Cornish Hen with Wild Rice and Mushrooms and Celery. I found it at About.com and tested it since I wanted to make a Cornish Hen. It was quite good. After that, I started cookign more things, Red Snapper, Mongolia Boiled Lamb with herbs, Dumplings (now i can make my own), Stuffed Fish and just recently (a couple of months ago) Calamarai Rings with Tomato Sauce and Udon Noodles. I don't consider myself a top class chef, but I know I can cook.
    That's pretty cool, but did you mean broiled lamb? Because boiled lamb doesn't sound too appetizing. If you made a stew out of it and simmered it that could be really tasty but I'm assuming you meant broiled.

According to the instructions thats what I did. Boil water, add meat, add garlic and other herbs to enchance the flavor and let it cook. The resulting meat was very much like Polov, but it was without rice.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    God I <3 Daric.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Manifest wrote: »
    God I <3 Daric.

I'm never sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Daric on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    Druhim, I can't find a grocery store nearby with a decent meat selection.

Or, ya know, where I can buy meat that isn't packaged for a family of 8.
    There's a pretty good market a few blocks down from you on Aurora. I think it's a it's a PCC or one of those other whole/natural foods stores so it'll be more expensive but they should have good meat and it'll probably be higher quality as well.

Here's a map on their site. http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/locations/gl.html#map

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never made pizzas out of my pizza lunchables, I just ate all the ingredients in order.

Bread, cheese, pepperoni, sauce.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    homemade pizza on whole wheat crust is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My parents usually use a butcher they know to get our meat. I don't think we ever bought packaged meat.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

My first experience cooking was with a Stuffed Cornish Hen with Wild Rice and Mushrooms and Celery. I found it at About.com and tested it since I wanted to make a Cornish Hen. It was quite good. After that, I started cookign more things, Red Snapper, Mongolia Boiled Lamb with herbs, Dumplings (now i can make my own), Stuffed Fish and just recently (a couple of months ago) Calamarai Rings with Tomato Sauce and Udon Noodles. I don't consider myself a top class chef, but I know I can cook.
    That's pretty cool, but did you mean broiled lamb? Because boiled lamb doesn't sound too appetizing. If you made a stew out of it and simmered it that could be really tasty but I'm assuming you meant broiled.

According to the instructions thats what I did. Boil water, add meat, add garlic and other herbs to enchance the flavor and let it cook. The resulting meat was very much like Polov, but it was without rice.
    Odd. Most cuts of lamb can be a bit tough and boiling normally doesn't help in that department.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My lunch today was basically just the Wedge Salad they make at Johnny Carino's. A lot of the stuff I cook is a modification of something I had in a restaurant.
    Italian Wedge Salad
    A hearty wedge of crisp iceberg lettuce topped with our roasted garlic ranch dressing, applewood smoked bacon, candied pecans, gorgonzola cheese, fresh apple slices and roma tomatoes

I wasn't sure how they candied the pecans there, so mine came out tasting different. There was some caramel vodka in the pantry so I poured some of that in with the stuff I would normally use. Pretty filling.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Odd. Most cuts of lamb can be a bit tough and boiling normally doesn't help in that department.

It was without bone meat, so to me it was chewy. My mother makes Polov which has similar meat, but it isn't so garlicy. It was boiled for 2 hours though (unless I am mistaken, I shall look into it) and I assume it was ok since it was finished by everyone and they all liked it.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I really, really, really want to try rabbit. Also duck.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Could also be that we're using the term boil differently. I doubt she actually boiled it for 2 hours, probably simmered it which would make more sense. Simmering is basically just a very soft boil where the liquid just bubbles slightly.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really, really, really want to try rabbit. Also duck.

duckseas.jpg

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    God dammit I knew there was a connection between those two but I couldn't remember it

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Could also be that we're using the term boil differently. I doubt she actually boiled it for 2 hours, probably simmered it which would make more sense. Simmering is basically just a very soft boil where the liquid just bubbles slightly.

Yeah I guess thats what I did. Sorry about that. I guess it was two different meanings.

I have add duck and rabbit. Rabbit meat is very soft and falls of the bone easily. Duck is good too. I usually have had peking duck if I had duck.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Speaking of duck, I had a really good duck pho at a thai fusion place a while back.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    rabbit is stringy and bad

duck is greasy if improperly prepared, but can be pretty good otherwise

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

IF YOU FUCK IT UP

Yeah, it's more gamy by default than most meats, but I've had very good, tasty rabbit.

Defender on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Duck is pretty good but goose is divine.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

IF YOU FUCK IT UP

Yeah, it's more gamy by default than most meats, but I've had very good, tasty rabbit.

sorry, I like my meat to have meat on it and not disgusting gamy fibers and from a rodent

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    pheasant is another good one

bongi on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah pheasant and Hungarian partridge are good too. So long as you aren't left with the part that has the shotgun blast on it.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Manifest wrote: »
    God I <3 Daric.

I'm never sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

or not

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I once caught a rabbit with a snare while camping.
    It tasted like the sage it had been eating.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sixty-four pages. I'm positive we're no longer talking about what we would change about SE++, but fuck it. I'm gonna anyway.

I would pretty much only change the ever-present favoritism towards "prefered" members. People always talk about bad threads versus good threads, but I think too few people realize that at least 95% of the threads in this forum are bad threads. They're supposed to be. This forum is a wonderful, ever-running experiment, and the fuel of that experiment is the interaction of the people here in fucking bad, random threads.

So, what I'm getting at is that when someone who is "popular" makes a terrible thread, the general reaction is "Oh [insert popular person], you're such a card!" and the thread becomes a staple for the week, whereas if someone who hasn't made a name for his or herself makes a random thread, the knee-jerk reaction is to bash them and tell them they're "not allowed to do this" and the thread is locked.

The brilliance of this forum doesn't come from the original posts of each thread. The brilliance usually doesn't happen until a few pages in when the dust settles and some genuinely interesting conversations peak out. Who knows what we're missing out on from the threads that get locked before they can blossom.

Also, people need to stop posting shitty, unfunny comics in the New Comic thread. It's like how all brilliant musicians somehow have shitty taste in music, themselves. You all are a bunch of incredibly funny motherfuckers, but your taste in produced humor fucking blows.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    D.T. wrote: »
    So, what I'm getting at is that when someone who is "popular" makes a terrible thread, the general reaction is "Oh [insert popular person], you're such a card!" and the thread becomes a staple for the week, whereas if someone who hasn't made a name for his or herself makes a random thread, the knee-jerk reaction is to bash them and tell them they're "not allowed to do this" and the thread is locked.

Tube jerks off to videos of himself raping people who do this. This doesn't happen any more.

Defender on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wabbit season.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    D.T. wrote: »

Tube jerks off to videos of himself raping people who do this. This doesn't happen any more.

Whatever happened to Tube committing suicide?

Daric on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    He shot himself in the head.

Weaver on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    venison is an excellent meat, dudes.

Pony on