Options

stopping popups in firefox

drunkgnolldrunkgnoll Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Recently I have noticed more and more popups appearing on my computer. The weird thing is that I use firefox, and I at first dismissed these annoyances. But now they are becoming much more prevalent in my browsing experience and I would like to do something about them. Does anyone know of any addon to help block them?

P.S. this is my first post and I am not sure if this is the right place to put it

~drunkgnoll
drunkgnoll on

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You're in the correct forum. My advice is to use Adblock+, as it blocks most advertising scripts from running. If you want to get hardcore, try NoScript. Be aware that NoScript will block all Javascript for a site unless you allow the site, so you probably shouldn't use it if non tech-savvy users share your computer.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, Adblock+ is the fucking greatest.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Personally, I'd go with NoScript, as it will handle ads, but does so much more.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I also recommend Adblock+ for killing all popups and other annoying internet noise. I also recommend the Filterset.G extension (preset filters for Adblock), but I know the folks behind Adblock don't like it (don't remember why).

Reiten on
  • Options
    drunkgnolldrunkgnoll Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am not saying that I do not want to try adblock (I probably will later today) but I am not sure if it is what I want. Does it only prevent certain advertisements from displaying, or does it also prevent popups?

drunkgnoll on
    ~drunkgnoll
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    drunkgnoll wrote: »
    I am not saying that I do not want to try adblock (I probably will later today) but I am not sure if it is what I want. Does it only prevent certain advertisements from displaying, or does it also prevent popups?

It blocks images and scripts based on what they're named. Most popups are caused by advertising scripts, so Adblock+ will prevent them from appearing.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought you could block through firefox the ability of any webpage to open a popup, period. Then, it would tell you when something tried to open one on a top bar, then you could let it be blocked, allow it, or allow the site to always pop-up. Or maybe that's adblock, because I've never had a pop-up (except for flash ones on the page itself sometimes)

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png