As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Customized computer build websites?

PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
so...I had bad experiences with mwave building a machine I ordered and was wondering if PA knew of any other online places that would allow me to select parts that they would assemble into a machine for me.

I seem to remember another site that offered pretty in-depth choices but can not, for the life of me, find it now.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
brush1rt1.jpg
PatboyX on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Depends. What country are you looking at?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    America

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    The Death Of HilarityThe Death Of Hilarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    After going through this same thing and not finding any sites in my (relatively short) search that fit what I wanted, I decided to build my own using parts off newegg. If you have the knowledge needed, the time to learn, or even a friend that you would trust enough to build it for you, I would definitely recommend going that route. I can tell you from personal experience to avoid Dell, Gateway, and Monarch PC. The Dell's and Gateway's I've worked on have had terrible cases or motherboards, and the Monarch my cousin got had almost everything go wrong with it at about the same time a year or two after he got it and now he's begging me to build him one. I guess the best advice I can give you is no matter what route you take, computers are expensive so be sure you're going to be happy with the final product before you order it or the parts to build it.

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    After going through this same thing and not finding any sites in my (relatively short) search that fit what I wanted, I decided to build my own using parts off newegg. If you have the knowledge needed, the time to learn, or even a friend that you would trust enough to build it for you, I would definitely recommend going that route. I can tell you from personal experience to avoid Dell, Gateway, and Monarch PC. The Dell's and Gateway's I've worked on have had terrible cases or motherboards, and the Monarch my cousin got had almost everything go wrong with it at about the same time a year or two after he got it and now he's begging me to build him one. I guess the best advice I can give you is no matter what route you take, computers are expensive so be sure you're going to be happy with the final product before you order it or the parts to build it.

I did that and I'm sort of tired of it.
    I also am looking for the site for some friends of mine who do not have the knowledge or ability (and I don't want to build it for them.)
    I did, however, used to use Newegg for all my parts. I'm a bit annoyed they have a warehouse in Jersey now, forcing me to pay taxes on any parts.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You mean something like Cyberpower, Inc.?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In Canada, I use www.ncix.com. I know you're in America, but since Canadian/American currencies are pretty much on par now, you could use the PC Builder on that site as a good guideline.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    In Canada, I use www.ncix.com. I know you're in America, but since Canadian/American currencies are pretty much on par now, you could use the PC Builder on that site as a good guideline.

ncix has a us website too, http://www.ncixus.com Add all your parts into the cart, then they have an item called "PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING WITHOUT OS INSTALLATION" which is 23$, add that and they'll assemble and test everything before shipping it to you

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd try ibuypower.com

You're obviously going to pay more for a computer you customize to be built on-line, but ibuypower is pretty fair. You can get a Core 2 Duo desktop starting at $665. Their laptops are very nice too. They have a large selection of neat cases and stuff too. If I had the money and wasn't capable of building my own computers, I'd probably buy from there.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

ncix has a us website too, http://www.ncixus.com Add all your parts into the cart, then they have an item called "PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING WITHOUT OS INSTALLATION" which is 23$, add that and they'll assemble and test everything before shipping it to you

How reliable is their service? This sounds very awesome for people (like me) who know the parts but are too dumb to put it together properly.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »

How reliable is their service? This sounds very awesome for people (like me) who know the parts but are too dumb to put it together properly.

i've never actually used the US site, living in canada ;-) but NCIX is pretty much canadas best computer part store, our newegg basically, I order pretty much all my parts from them, and while i've never used the assembly option i've heard they do a good job.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ncixus.com may have been the one I had found all those months ago.
    It doesn't look just like it but it seems to have the same options and decent pricing.
    Thank guys.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    AutoSciz on