As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion! (NSF56k)

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't even know what you guys are talking about. I am a monk. I punch things and persuade people a lot.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My bad, my bad. The game is only a partially broken piece of shit.

I stand corrected.

Tzen on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tzen wrote: »

I stand corrected.

Well, since you've proven you know what the fuck you're talking about, I guess now we believe you.

august on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2007
    hey dickhead, quit trolling.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I love how you guys simply just state how you have no problems.

I am specifically stating that if I casually try to play many of the pre-made classes, I wind up hitting a level in the early to mid teens that results being pretty much completely unable to walk down a road without running into trolls/bears or bandits that completely destroy me unless I run backwards for three quarters of a mile shooting it/them with arrows.
    I find this game to be tremendously difficult. I refuse to touch the slider (I'm stubborn like that), but I'm level 14 right now. I only get 3X damage on my sneaking shots, and it usually takes a good 25 arrows to take anything down. Keep in mind, I knew nothing about the game coming in. I started working on the Thief's Guild quests until I realized that with my infamy higher than fame I couldn't use the Chapel, so I moved on to the main quest after that.

Wait, wait. I guess this guy is a troll, too? FUCK YOU, TROLL! GO PLAY WITH FISCHER PRICE TOYS, PANSY FAGGOT!

Tzen on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is a terrible course of action to pursue

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I find this game to be tremendously difficult. I refuse to touch the slider (I'm stubborn like that), but I'm level 14 right now. I only get 3X damage on my sneaking shots, and it usually takes a good 25 arrows to take anything down. Keep in mind, I knew nothing about the game coming in. I started working on the Thief's Guild quests until I realized that with my infamy higher than fame I couldn't use the Chapel, so I moved on to the main quest after that.

Wait, wait. I guess this guy is a troll, too? FUCK YOU, TROLL! GO PLAY WITH FISCHER PRICE TOYS, PANSY FAGGOT!

The difference is the way he's expressing his views, not the views in question. That's enough from you now, different thread time.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Are you guys really just some people Bethesda keeps locked in a basement and they throw you scraps of dead animals whenever you blindly defend their game?

I think their statement that scaling will not be in Fallout 3 is as close to an admittal/apology along the lines of "Sorry, guys. We pushed an unfinished product designed around an idea that turned out to be a horrible mistake right out the door and sold it with a smile." that we'll ever get.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

The difference is the way he's expressing his views, not the views in question. That's enough from you now, different thread time.

Well, I wasn't talking to you guys when I called the game a "broken piece of shit" now was I? Maybe he agrees. Maybe he doesn't. I don't care that you waltzed through the game with a "Transsexual Fairy Teddy-bear" class character and had no problems. Neither does he, most likely. Maybe ONE of you could possibly explain to him what HE is doing wrong, if you find the game to be flawlessly playable? One of you? Anyone?

Tzen on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I stand corrected.

This is exactly right. It doesn't break the whole game, but it makes combat fucking awful.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    last chance

Tube on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Are you guys really just some people Bethesda keeps locked in a basement and they throw you scraps of dead animals whenever you blindly defend their game?

I think their statement that scaling will not be in Fallout 3 is as close to an admittal/apology along the lines of "Sorry, guys. We pushed an unfinished product designed around an idea that turned out to be a horrible mistake right out the door and sold it with a smile." that we'll ever get.

I think their statement about scaling not being in there is more a sign about how Fallout 3 isn't going to be a post-apocalyptic Oblivion and will be something different.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

That is very good news.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    last chance

Quick, ban him cause he is right!

All he was doing was expressing his views, you are the one who started the back and forth.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    last chance

bout to go all Calo Nord on his ass

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    last chance

Quick, ban him cause he is right!

All he was doing was expressing his views, you are the one who started the back and forth.

Don't do this

This was a perfectly good topic

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Well, I wasn't talking to you guys when I called the game a "broken piece of shit" now was I? Maybe he agrees. Maybe he doesn't. I don't care that you waltzed through the game with a "Transsexual Fairy Teddy-bear" class character and had no problems. Neither does he, most likely. Maybe ONE of you could possibly explain to him what HE is doing wrong, if you find the game to be flawlessly playable? One of you? Anyone?

Maybe he should work on getting his bow skill up. He doesn't need to kill every enemy in order to get the skill up and if he is also a thief, he can occasionally steal a few things in order to pay for the arrows. Pretty much every character will have a hard time in the beginning.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think Tzen's main problem here is that he doesn't seem to notice the "admin" tag down there

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Maybe he should work on getting his bow skill up. He doesn't need to kill every enemy in order to get the skill up and if he is also a thief, he can occasionally steal a few things in order to pay for the arrows. Pretty much every character will have a hard time in the beginning.

But some people don't want to use a bow. People want to have melee characters. You're essentially saying its okay that the combat is broken, you can just break it back.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What the hell does 'admin' mean

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Admins have the "Ban-Hammer" Lesser Power, which costs 0 Magicka.
    Quite OP'd.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    But some people don't want to use a bow. People want to have melee characters. You're essentially saying its okay that the combat is broken, you can just break it back.

I'm not sure of the relevance of that, the point of the post was that he was having trouble fighting with a bow. Fighting melee with weapons is maybe the easiest way to get through oblivion.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Your specific example was a character with a bow. If you want a melee character, you just need to learn how to attack and dodge an enemy's attacks. It won't take long to get the blades skill up even if the enemies are a bit hard to kill at first.

Couscous on
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Advertising Minister

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I don't care if anyone doesn't like Oblivion, there are plenty of flaws in it, and it's ok to downright hate it. There are ways to express that opinion that aren't clearly attempts to be inflammatory.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Where can he go to raise his bow skill? Are mudcrabs still around after you hit 14? If he can just go to some water and kill a bunch of mudcrabs, it might be doable.

Tzen on
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Also, killing a daedra lord in one of the northern ruins before he could throw a glass charkram at me was also pretty tight, if only I could have bound his soul to it and make it auto return.

I am just unhappy with Oblivion because i didn't have any moments like that (other than the dark brotherhood, but that is from good writing) and frankly the Mages guild left me underwhelmed for the ending
    after all that shit, THIS IS TEH WURM LORD? SOME STUPID HIGH ELF? all that build up for this fucker?

I felt the exact same way... i thought he was a huge push over. i was very disappointed in that and the lack of a reward from the latter quests. Other than that i enjoyed most of the quests, they just started to get repetitive overall after awhile.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I haven't played this... game... in awhile (naturally), but let me see if I can possibly explain what's wrong.

I don't know if this is right, so correct me if it's not, but... The problem lies in the fact that your skill levels rising is what causes your overall character level to rise, which subsequently is what the game uses to scale the enemies. What happens is that if you raise your character level too much by raising a single skill or a combination of skills such as armor repair or stealth or alchemy, your combat skill(s) (bows... swords... whatever) wind(s) up being too low for the character level you have reached and the difficutly of the enemies you're facing.

Is this correct?

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Where can he go to raise his bow skill? Are mudcrabs still around after you hit 14? If he can just go to some water and kill a bunch of mudcrabs, it might be doable.

There are also those fish. He can also raise his bow skill on normal wildlife easily by just making sure not to get too close.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I haven't played this... game... in awhile (naturally), but let me see if I can possibly explain what's wrong.

I don't know if this is right, so correct me if it's not, but... The problem lies in the fact that your skill levels rising is what causes your overall character level to rise, which subsequently is what the game uses to scale the enemies. What happens is that if you raise your character level too much by raising a single skill or a combination of skills such as armor repair or stealth or alchemy, your combat skill(s) (bows... swords... whatever) wind(s) up being too low for the character level you have reached and the difficutly of the enemies you're facing.

Is this correct?

yes, that is a possibility, but part of the game is designing a character that works, or choosing one to your playing style. The game is also very combat oriented so chances are you should be raising at least one combat skill with your other attributes.

edit: this might help
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »

Quite OP'd.

I was actually just joking.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I don't know if this is right, so correct me if it's not, but... The problem lies in the fact that your skill levels rising is what causes your overall character level to rise, which subsequently is what the game uses to scale the enemies. What happens is that if you raise your character level too much by raising a combination of skills such as armory or stealth or alchemy, your combat skill(s) (bows... swords... whatever) winds up being too low for the character level you have reached and the difficutly of the enemies you're facing.

Unless you are trying to get up one specific skill up quickly or are attempting to be a jack of all trades, you won't have that problem. Alchemy can be used to make powerful poisons that can kill most enemies easily. Armory is a skill that will go up naturally at a normal rate unless you are hoarding a ton of deteriorated armor from humanoid enemies in order to get the skill up at a high rate. Stealth will go up by just sneaking up on enemies. Unless you steal every object from a town over the course of a few hours, it shouldn't go up too much. Even if you do do that, it will only bring you up by a few levels unless you have a lot of noncombat skills as main skills.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    yeah and armorer for example, is related to your combat really. you're not going to have any armor to repair if you never fight

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »

Quite OP'd.

I was actually just joking.

So was I.
    -ish.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The fact that monsters and other enemies level up at the same time as your character leads to the "leveling problem." If you make poor choices in leveling up, your character will become weaker than the monsters as your level progresses. Therefore the game will become harder rather than easier even though you would expect the game to be easier for high-level characters.

There are several strategies for overcoming the leveling problem. One is to never let your character sleep, and therefore your character will never level up (as described at Under Leveling). Another is to just decrease the game's difficulty slider.

On the other hand, it is possible to play to high levels and have your character constantly become stronger than the enemies. To accomplish this, it is necessary to take maximum advantage of every bonus that is available to your character when you level up. In general, this requires careful planning from the time you start the game, because many of these advantages are only available with proper Character Creation.

Very fun. Seriously.
    Not really.

But, really, that page is extremely helpful. If you feel like trying to play this game well and don't mind the planning aspect, you should totally check it out. Thanks for the link.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    its not a mindless hack and slash and should require at least a bit of thought. but even my first time through i found it difficult, it takes a bit of trial and error too i guess.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Death Of HilarityThe Death Of Hilarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just went back to my old character after not playing Oblivion for a long time. I have 82 alchemy, but I mainly use it to make money and make restore health potions, how do I poison enemies? Also, this goes to Tzen, when I started Oblivion I got 10 hours into it and ended up having basic should be easy fights take upwards of 5 minutes. I looked up a guide on how the leveling system works, and started over according to what I thought would work. This should not be necessary, and I shouldn't have to look up a guide to be able to play normally, but despite this problem Oblivion is still a great game once you know how the skill/leveling system works. I hate them for those wasted 10 hours, but I still appreciate the qualities Oblivion has going for it, and recognize the work the developers put into it, despite that one major flaw. I suggest you do the same and stop trolling ;-)

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I actually tried to play through a bit with a few different stock classes, Archer, Monk, and a Spellsword, IIRC... I really had a hard time finding how much of the game was actually broken. I guess the only issue I had with the game being too hard was maybe when I would be fighting zombies at a low level... I mean, shit! I actually broke 2 swords since their condition both dropped to zero during a fight. :|

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To poison your enemies, make up a poison potion, then apply it to your weapon and poke it at your enemy.

Laugh as they fall over, foaming at the mouth.

Here's one of my favourites.
    recipe.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    yeah just make it then select it in your inventory and it will apply it to the weapon you have in hand i believe.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png