As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Greeks! (collegiate style!)

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never really had problems finding a lot of good looking girls in University.

I didn't have to pay some douches for that privilege either, unless you want to make the claim that my University is a bunch of douches (I won't necessarily refute you).

Al_wat on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

I didn't have to pay some douches for that privilege either, unless you want to make the claim that my University is a bunch of douches (I won't necessarily refute you).

Honestly, it's about how much a particular thing is worth to each individual consumer.

Evander on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

being from Canada means you don't count.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, we do have that many hot girls up here. Don't even need to pay anyone to find them for you!

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, we do have that many hot girls up here. Don't even need to pay anyone to find them for you!

How many times do we have to tell you that moose don't count?

Evander on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man I didn't pay the Fraternity for girls or anything. I liked the guys in the house, and I wanted to live there. If the guys were like the dicks you've been encountering then I never would have moved in. I kinda feel bad for all the people who've had rotten experiences with Fraternities on their campuses.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Evander wrote: »

How many times do we have to tell you that moose don't count?

You can keep saying it till you are blue in the face, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop loving up some moose

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Man I didn't pay the Fraternity for girls or anything. I liked the guys in the house, and I wanted to live there. If the guys were like the dicks you've been encountering then I never would have moved in. I kinda feel bad for all the people who've had rotten experiences with Fraternities on their campuses.

do you think it is more about jealousy or bad experiences?

high school was a bitch for people not in certain clicks. a bitch as in physically assaulted or made fun of in the most public manner possible. Never once did I see a pack of frat kids raoming around beating the shit out of geeks or publically humiliating them like was a common practice in every high school around this grand nation of ours.

I think it is jealousy. The girls, the money, the parties and the fact that they are generally more charasmatic in social situations. So being that I am always right, maybe we should switch the subject as to why there is such a pronounced jealousy. And if I am wrong and it doesn't exist then what particular negative experience made you so anti-fraternity?

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    so, Sonos

you can either be a pronounced troll who has been at it for multiple pages of this thread

or a pronounced ignorant and all-around idiot

now, that's your choice, so... I'll leave it to you.

I'm anti-fraternity-- if I am going to be forced to use such a stark word-- because on the one campus I was at, there was only one of the many houses that wasn't terrible to me at all junctures; and they were the band frat. To be fair, though, I knew two members of that house-- one from a ruling committee, and a rushed freshman. The one on the committee often beamed proudly about what was happening in-house, while the freshman complained about how their completely arbitrary guidelines that kept that "totally unimportant house atmosphere" (the secret society shit) was cutting into both his free time and his study time. The man just wanted to play clarinet, duders!

As for the rest of the fraternities, and two of the sororities, I was sort of some unifying pariah whose experiences are not nearly average and so I won't get into them. But to make a long and foreclosed story short,

my feelings towards fraternity/sorority members in general are poor because I have received no anecdotal evidence that would prove otherwise. I had a friend from one of the regular houses and the two friends from the band house, so I still recognize that when the opportunity arises, you judge a person on their individual merits and not based on where they lay their bedroll--

but until then, where people were crashing at night seemed to correlate almost directly with whether or not they went out of their way to physically and emotionally harass me and my friends.

So. Go figure.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Man I didn't pay the Fraternity for girls or anything. I liked the guys in the house.

tee hee

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Man I didn't pay the Fraternity for girls or anything. I liked the guys in the house.

tee hee

I'm glad someone caught that

edit: LOL gay people

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    so, Sonos

you can either be a pronounced troll who has been at it for multiple pages of this thread

I'm anti-fraternity-- if I am going to be forced to use such a stark word-- because on the one campus I was at, there was only one of the many houses that wasn't terrible to me at all junctures; and they were the band frat. To be fair, though, I knew two members of that house-- one from a ruling committee, and a rushed freshman. The one on the committee often beamed proudly about what was happening in-house, while the freshman complained about how their completely arbitrary guidelines that kept that "totally unimportant house atmosphere" (the secret society shit) was cutting into both his free time and his study time. The man just wanted to play clarinet, duders!

As for the rest of the fraternities, and two of the sororities, I was sort of some unifying pariah whose experiences are not nearly average and so I won't get into them. But to make a long and foreclosed story short,

my feelings towards fraternity/sorority members in general are poor because I have received no anecdotal evidence that would prove otherwise. I had a friend from one of the regular houses and the two friends from the band house, so I still recognize that when the opportunity arises, you judge a person on their individual merits and not based on where they lay their bedroll--

but until then, where people were crashing at night seemed to correlate almost directly with whether or not they went out of their way to physically and emotionally harass me and my friends.

So. Go figure.

i guess it's always going to be case by case depending on the school. i went to a major state university that had a lot to do outside of fraternity parties (athens, ga) so it wasnt a nessecity of having a good time. there were your isolated events of course but everyone seemed to intermingle well.

on the flip side i did visit one university (Alabama) that really didnt have any type of nightlife scene outside of fraternity row. the one time i did visit it was one of the more violent, chaotic real-time events i've ever been witness to. never went back and never will.

troll or idiot ~ only when my opinion doesn't mesh I get it.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    In all seriousness, my chapter had a gay dude in it, and no one minded.

No one even gave him a hard time about it, because he wasn't totally out yet, just had confided it in us (I don't mind stating this, because I'm not saying anything about who he is.)

We stilled ribbed him, justlike we would anyone else, but we completely avoided the topic of his sexuality, because we knew that for him that was off limits,and we were respectful of that.

Evander on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not really anti-fraternity. It's just that my experiences with the frats in my college in the past 4 years haven't given me any reason to think of them in a positive light.

I've known my fair share of people who belonged to the Greek system, and now that I think about it in retrospect, the ones I respected and thought highly of were the ones who chose to quit their fraternity/sorority, usually within a year of joining. Examples of reasons they gave:

"friendships are too shallow."
    "i missed my sense of individuality."
    "got sick of having to live with people i didn't like."
    "there are far too many douchebags/sluts."

These have only reinforced my suspicions about the Greek system as a whole. Like I said, I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are just that: exceptions.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    I'm not really anti-fraternity. It's just that my experiences with the frats in my college in the past 4 years haven't given me any reason to think of them in a positive light.

I've known my fair share of people who belonged to the Greek system, and now that I think about it in retrospect, the ones I respected and thought highly of were the ones who chose to quit their fraternity/sorority, usually within a year of joining. Examples of reasons they gave:

These have only reinforced my suspicions about the Greek system as a whole. Like I said, I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are just that: exceptions.

it's not suprisingthat people who quitwould givethose sorts of reasons.

I wouldn't expect some one to quit because "it was too awesome."

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah, and that's the thing.

My line of reasoning, like I said:

- i know people who have quit the Greek system
    - they are people i respect and think highly of
    - if people i respect and think highly of are refusing to associate themselves with the Greek system, that says a lot (of negative things) about the Greek system

On top of this, my personal experiences with frats and sororities (which are, admittedly, easy lays, but hey) have basically sealed my impressions of it.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

- if people i respect and think highly of are refusing to associate themselves with the Greek system, that says a lot (of negative things) about the Greek system

On top of this, my personal experiences with frats and sororities (which are, admittedly, easy lays, but hey) have basically sealed my impressions of it.

The problem is that there may be people that you think highly of who also had good fraternity experiences, but you don't even know it.

You are judging based on a pool that is decidedly biased.

Evander on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Do you know why these people joined in the first place? Was it for 'easy lays'? Maybe they weren't as easy as they were expecting. Did they look into the fraternities they were joining or joined just 'cause it was what their other friends are doing? Some people do join fraternities or sororities for the wrong reasons, to put it on their resumes or just because they think it's an automatic invite to parties and orgies and 'easy' sorority girls. Just like anything worth doing, you get out what you put in. It's easy to make snap decisions on the outside looking in.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I have to say, and no offense to anyone is meant by this, the best folks I have ever met in greek life, and the most involved too, are the people who never intended to join greek life.

The ones who thought it was all about beer pong and scoring with chicks are not exactly my favorite people, but the guys who decided to join after seeing the structure that it suplies, etc., are people I would trust my life to, generally.

Evander on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, it's our fault that you guys are idiots.

i am old now well past my fraternity years.

side note: i have payed money to watch pretty women dance around naked you could always look at fraternities as pay to be around prettier females. the general populace certainly had their share of attractive ladies but never in such high concentration as yon sorority.

ahhhh shallowness you are as beautiful as a rose.

Considering that stripe clubs give one of the most depressing and creepiest vibes possible, I'll accept that comparison, and stay away from both.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have to say, and no offense to anyone is meant by this, the best folks I have ever met in greek life, and the most involved too, are the people who never intended to join greek life.

The ones who thought it was all about beer pong and scoring with chicks are not exactly my favorite people, but the guys who decided to join after seeing the structure that it suplies, etc., are people I would trust my life to, generally.

This applies to pretty much everyone in my fraternity. None of us were the "greek type" and none of us went through rush. Each one just happened upon a member at some point and started hanging out with them.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, it's our fault that you guys are idiots.

i am old now well past my fraternity years.

side note: i have payed money to watch pretty women dance around naked you could always look at fraternities as pay to be around prettier females. the general populace certainly had their share of attractive ladies but never in such high concentration as yon sorority.

ahhhh shallowness you are as beautiful as a rose.

Considering that strip-clubs give one of the most depressing and creepiest vibes possible, I'll accept that comparison, and stay away from both.

Seriously, did you actually think the argument "lol guys frats are just a way of paying for sex" was going to win people over? Oh that's right, you frat-guys don't like your frats being called frats. I can assure you, the negative connotations are tied to the frats themselves, not to the word "frat". And I don't much care what you call "my" country since I don't have a psychological disorder that causes me to believe that just because I'm associated with it, anyone who criticizes it is clearly deliberately and directly attacking me personally, most likely with a machette. Not that use of the term "frat" is any kind of criticism that use of the word "fraternity" would not be.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    so, Sonos

So. Go figure.

i guess it's always going to be case by case depending on the school. i went to a major state university that had a lot to do outside of fraternity parties (athens, ga) so it wasnt a nessecity of having a good time. there were your isolated events of course but everyone seemed to intermingle well.

on the flip side i did visit one university (Alabama) that really didnt have any type of nightlife scene outside of fraternity row. the one time i did visit it was one of the more violent, chaotic real-time events i've ever been witness to. never went back and never will.

troll or idiot ~ only when my opinion doesn't mesh I get it.

Actually, it's when your opinion is so dumb that it's idiotic, or trollish.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Cerpin TaxtCerpin Taxt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My frat, Delta Phi Rho, belives in the following.

1) Consent is sexy you stupid fucking frat boy horn-dog.

2) Hey who all wants to party with us? Thats cool, come on over.

3) Do you have any bud? No? Thats cool. Here, smoke this.

4) Im hungry, lets get some pizza.

5) Lets play some smash brothers and then go to the bars.

6) Don't let your frat be your life. You can be an individual and a member of a group. No, really. I'm not lying.

7) Don't act like a superior douchebag. That just repels people from joining the group.

8) Don't create huge tiffs between groups. That just makes it hard to have joint parties together.

and finally,

9) The whole purpose of the fraternity/sorority system is to combine finances and resources to be able to throw bigger, funner parties, perform service and community support on a much higher level, and have a social support system for the individuals invovled during times of need.

I don't know what your school is like. But the rule here, not the exception, is that the people in greek life are great people to get along with and spend your time with. There are exceptions, like one group on campus that are generally pretentious dicks. But everyone hates them because of that, so it becomes a non-issue.

I really hate it when people make vast generalizations about these groups. They vary from school to school, group to group, and individual to individual. Its just as prejudicial and ignorant as saying "black commit more crimes" or "muslims are all crazy, violent terrorists"

Seriously.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I don't know what your school is like. But the rule here, not the exception, is that the people in greek life are great people to get along with and spend your time with. There are exceptions, like one group on campus that are generally pretentious dicks. But everyone hates them because of that, so it becomes a non-issue.

I really hate it when people make vast generalizations about these groups. They vary from school to school, group to group, and individual to individual. Its just as prejudicial and ignorant as saying "black commit more crimes" or "muslims are all crazy, violent terrorists"

Seriously.

See at my school, the rules for frats are if you're not part of a frat, you're permitted to interact with people who are to the extent that is required to complete a neutral task or to explain that you don't get into that sort of thing. Unless the people who are happen to be walking home drunk and your collar isn't popped, then you could have a problem if you can't make yourself look scarier than you are, or if you're a girl. If you should happen to be a girl encountering drunken frat members after closing time in Oxford, they won't rape you if you consent immediately.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Seriously.

See at my school, the rules for frats are if you're not part of a frat, you're permitted to interact with people who are to the extent that is required to complete a neutral task or to explain that you don't get into that sort of thing. Unless the people who are happen to be walking home drunk and your collar isn't popped, then you could have a problem if you can't make yourself look scarier than you are, or if you're a girl. If you should happen to be a girl encountering drunken frat members after closing time in Oxford, they won't rape you if you consent immediately.

Then I am really glad I don't go to your school

Or if i did I probably wouldn't be invovled in greek life.

My decision to join this fraternity was not something I took lightly. I weighed my decision based on the candor and demeanor of the members, and judging based on how people reacted to mention of them.

Oh, and popped collers? screw that. If one of my brothers comes to a party with a backwards cap on and a popped coller ill shit in his cereal.

EDIT: I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that one should judge these groups and the people within them on a case-by-case basis. Otherwise you run the risk of judging a group as "frat-boy popped-collar asshole rapists" when you could be missing out on interacting with a group of people who are actually cool as hell. I know that people coming from larger schools to this smaller school have had those stereotypes. My job is to show people that the stereotype doesn't hold true across all cases. I'm not asking anybody to like frats or sororoties based on my singular example, but rather to keep an open mind.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The 'best' frats are the ones that don't really act like frats.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, and popped collers? screw that. If one of my brothers comes to a party with a backwards cap on and a popped coller ill shit in his cereal.

Yeah clearly your frat isn't at all the sort of institution that comes to mind when I hear the word "frat". :roll:

"Look man, frats are good because we oppose the things decent people oppose! Look how I take a dump in someone's food to prove it and show how not-psychotic and violent and territorial and possessive and power-tripping we are!"

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

How typically frattish.
    If you should happen to be a girl encountering drunken frat members after closing time in Oxford, they won't rape you if you consent immediately.

:lol:

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    exactly.

well, we do play a hefty amount of beer pong. Its fun though. Do you hate fun?

And, well, i guess we do drink. A lot. But thats something I would do even if i wasn't in a frat. It just means im drinking out of a keg instead of a case.

Edit: this is a reply to fencingsax btw.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah clearly your frat isn't at all the sort of institution that comes to mind when I hear the word "frat". :roll:

"Look man, frats are good because we oppose the things decent people oppose! Look how I take a dump in someone's food to prove it and show how not-psychotic and violent and territorial and possessive and power-tripping we are!"

Jesus straw-man christ i was using a euphamism. Calm down. I wouldnt actually take a dump in someone's food. That would be gross and I wouldn't expect any of my brothers to actually do something like that to me.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    exactly.

well, we do play a hefty amount of beer pong. Its fun though. Do you hate fun?

And, well, i guess we do drink. A lot. But thats something I would do even if i wasn't in a frat. It just means im drinking out of a keg instead of a case.

Wow kegs are exclusive to frats? Sweet deal you got there.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    we actually have a deal with the liquor store cuz we buy so many. And they are easier to buy when you have shared resources.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    we actually have a deal with the liquor store cuz we buy so many. And they are easier to buy when you have shared resources.

If you need to pool resources to buy a keg of Natty I think you guys might need some part-time jobs.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    when you are getting 2+ kegs a week, then yes, pooling resources makes this possible.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm neutral as far as frats are concerned and have to say some of you guys are just being unreasonable. I can't say I have ever seen such a large number of people clinging to stereotypes like this before on this board.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is kind of an irrelevant question, but it's bugging me. What the hell is beer pong?

EDIT:

Oh man I read that comic ages ago and forgot what it was called. Thanks!

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    japan wrote: »
    This is kind of an irrelevant question, but it's bugging me. What the hell is beer pong?

The stupidest drinking game I've ever seen. 3-man ftw.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I'm neutral as far as frats are concerned and have to say some of you guys are just being unreasonable. I can't say I have ever seen such a large number of people clinging to stereotypes like this before on this board.

We're not so much clinging to them as being beaten over the head with them every time we walk through that part of the campus-neighborhood.

ViolentChemistry on