As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Greeks! (collegiate style!)

• Cerpin TaxtCerpin Taxt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_pong

Beer pong is a game set up on a hard table, preferably a long table, 5-7 or so feet long.

You take either 6 or 10 cups, depending on game size, and arrange them in an equliateral triangle with the tops facing each other. You proceed to put beer (only a bit, not full or even half) in each cup. Each time takes turns throwing ping pong balls into the cups. If it lands, the other team has to drink it. Proceed until cups are gone. Bouce shots count double but can be swatted away.

Simple, easy, cheap, and fun!

Cerpin Taxt on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Drinking game? Who the hell still plays drinking games by the time they've hit higher education?

Man what. People grow out of that shit by the time they're sixteen, surely?

japan on
    edited June 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I'm neutral as far as frats are concerned and have to say some of you guys are just being unreasonable. I can't say I have ever seen such a large number of people clinging to stereotypes like this before on this board.

We're not so much clinging to them as being beaten over the head with them every time we walk through that part of the campus-neighborhood.

I sincerely feel bad for your situation. It sounds like greek life at these schools has spiraled out of control. Hopefully there is a socal dynamic there outside of that that one can function in and still be able to have kicking parties. Because kicking parties should be as much a part of college as books and being in debt.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Drinking game? Who the hell still plays drinking games by the time they've hit higher education?

O_o

What the fuck is wrong with drinking games

Al_wat on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

People drink before their sixteen!?
    God I'm naive.

Picardathon on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I think that depends on when you can really start drinking - is Britain sixteen upwards for beer and wine?

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
    edited June 2007

During graduation we had parents and facutly playing. Thats like saying watching cartoons at the age of 21 is immature. Drinking games are just a way of having some kind of structured activity to do at parties other than conversation etc. I think its fun.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

O_o

In my experience, drinking games are played by people who are looking to get as drunk as possible, which is something most people I know stopped setting out to do once they hit legal drinking age and realise that being very, very, drunk is not, in and of itself, a whole lot of fun.

(I also recognise the irony of someone from my city, and country, commenting on the childish nature of binge-drinking. It's a massive social problem, but not so much in the universities.)

EDIT: t: 12gauge: Britain is eighteen for drinking, lower if with parents and a meal, I forget specifically what. I know the US is 21 (and really strict about it too, as I discovered to my misfortune when I was over there). Don't you guys get underage drinking?

japan on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm neutral as far as frats are concerned and have to say some of you guys are just being unreasonable. I can't say I have ever seen such a large number of people clinging to stereotypes like this before on this board.

We're not so much clinging to them as being beaten over the head with them every time we walk through that part of the campus-neighborhood.

You should call the police if people are beating you.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I think being very very drunk is a blast!

Cerpin Taxt on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

I sincerely feel bad for your situation. It sounds like greek life at these schools has spiraled out of control. Hopefully there is a socal dynamic there outside of that that one can function in and still be able to have kicking parties. Because kicking parties should be as much a part of college as books and being in debt.

I've been to several frat parties, and countless awesome parties, but never both at the same time. Granted I've only ever talked my way into frat parties as something of a whimsical anthropological experiment before, if I'm looking for a good party I'm avoiding the frats. For starters, Natty doesn't even fucking count as beer. PBR at least has some alcohol content to it, my friends usually got that or Killian's (depending how many people were expected).

ViolentChemistry on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

O_o

In my experience, drinking games are played by people who are looking to get as drunk as possible, which is something most people I know stopped setting out to do once they hit legal drinking age and realise that being very, very, drunk is not, in and of itself, a whole lot of fun.

(I also recognise the irony of someone from my city, and country, commenting on the childish nature of binge-drinking. It's a massive social problem, but not so much in the universities.)

You know, that's what I was trying to get to before - legal drinking age in the US is 21.

Edit: to Japan: Austrians are legally allowed to drink by the age of 16 (beer and wine), most of the time you have no problems getting stronger stuff too, by the age of 18 I was completely burned out on tequila (altough I still enjoy a sunrise sometimes).

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
    edited June 2007

I've been to several frat parties, and countless awesome parties, but never both at the same time. Granted I've only ever talked my way into frat parties as something of a whimsical anthropological experiment before, if I'm looking for a good party I'm avoiding the frats. For starters, Natty doesn't even fucking count as beer. PBR at least has some alcohol content to it, my friends usually got that or Killian's (depending how many people were expected).

So you went to a fraternity party expecting to have a horrible time or as a joke and you had a horrible time? Shocking. Also its criminal to serve large amounts of cheap beer for free at a party, those fraternity guys are animals.

Malkor on
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

I never called them people.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited June 2007
    So you went to a fraternity party expecting to have a horrible time or as a joke and you had a horrible time? Shocking. Also its criminal to serve large amounts of cheap beer for free at a party, those fraternity guys are animals.

No, I went to a couple frat parties expecting to see what they were like. I found that what they were like was "lame as fuck". And PBR kegs are cheaper than Natty kegs in terms of volume of alcohol per dollar. I thought you frat-guys were supposed to be experts at parties? Here you are getting schooled on kegs by a giant-robot freak.

ViolentChemistry on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I never called them people.

Have anything better to do than troll this topic with your incessant narrow-minded bullshit?

tyrannus on
    edited June 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Have anything better to do than troll this topic with your incessant narrow-minded bullshit?

Have anything better to do than tirelessly defend those who are in least need of defense while trying to pass off the outwardly harmful and destructive behavioural norms they teach/encourage/protect as exceptions rather than norms?

ViolentChemistry on
    edited June 2007

No, I went to a couple frat parties expecting to see what they were like. I found that what they were like was "lame as fuck". And PBR kegs are cheaper than Natty kegs in terms of volume of alcohol per dollar. I thought you frat-guys were supposed to be experts at parties? Here you are getting schooled on kegs by a giant-robot freak.

lol. I guess beating up geeks and wandering the streets raping women leaves one too busy to calculate the BCR of keg beer.

Malkor on
    edited June 2007

lol. I guess beating up geeks and wandering the streets raping women leaves one too busy to calculate the BCR of keg beer.

Apparently. Assuming your definition of "geek" goes something to the effect of "anyone who isn't a member and doesn't have a vagina".

ViolentChemistry on
    edited June 2007
    half of the members of my frat are geeks under a very good definition.

The have played, or continue to play, dungeons and dragons. I rest my case.

Cerpin Taxt on
    edited June 2007

Well obviously they've pulled the wool over your eyes. I'll bet they're members of Al Qaeda, Skrulls, or a local biker gang. I bet all the time I've spent volunteering my time or playing Axis and Allies, or watching anime with my fraternity brothers was just some type drug induced trip so I wouldn't know I was really beating on kids from the AV club and sexing up the cheerleaders. I've been so blind.

Malkor on
    edited June 2007

Well obviously they've pulled the wool over your eyes. I'll bet they're members of Al Qaeda, Skrulls, or a local biker gang. I bet all the time I've spent volunteering my time or playing Axis and Allies, or watching anime with my fraternity brothers was just some type drug induced trip so I wouldn't know I was really beating on kids from the AV club and sexing up the cheerleaders. I've been so blind.

You must have missed the several seperate posts where I acknowledged the existence of exceptions.

ViolentChemistry on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Look, I am VC!

I hate fraternities and will thus instantly attack anyone who tries to assert that his fraternity is not full of dumbfuck rapists!

Graaar! Snarl!

I had a bunch of frats on my campus, too. It was more or less impossible to tell the frat brothers from the other guys unless you followed them home, because they were pretty cool and normal folks.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2007

You must have missed the several seperate posts where I acknowledged the existence of exceptions.

I really think if decent people were the exception rather than the rule, then there would be even less of a Greek presence on most college campuses. Maybe all the people in fraternities on your campus are raging assholes. Maybe your campus is a magnet for people who like to sniff their own farts in general. I've heard that farts are jazz to assholes.

SKRUUULLLLLS!

Malkor on
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Look, I am VC!

I hate fraternities and will thus instantly attack anyone who tries to assert that his fraternity is not full of dumbfuck rapists!

Graaar! Snarl!

Look, I am former member of frat!

I love fraternities and will thus equate people who attempt to make any criticisms of any frats to racists!

wooooo! titties!

ViolentChemistry on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread has so much hate.

What a hateful thread.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited June 2007
    NEEEEEEERRRRDDDSSS!!

Also, don't hate celebrate.

Malkor on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    This isn't SE, you fucks. Knock it off.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Well, at any rate I think everyone here is pretty set in their opinions and attitudes. Like any other stereotype, its easy to just set your brains on cruise control then act surprised when reality doesn't jive with your schema. That really sucks, because I'm sure some people here actually would enjoy the fraternity/sorority experience, I'm sure some people would enjoy sky diving or some other activity that's initially out of your comfort zone, but it's always hard to take that first step.

Malkor on
    edited June 2007
    Look, I am VC!

Graaar! Snarl!

I love fraternities and will thus equate people who attempt to make any criticisms of any frats to racists!

wooooo! titties!

Oh, there's certainly been a fair amount of stupid on both sides of the argument.

But that doesn't make your caustic dismissal of fraternities any more rational. I don't think frats are quite the walking stereotypes they once were, even if many, or even most, of them still exhibit a large number of those qualities.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Look, I am VC!

Graaar! Snarl!

wooooo! titties!

Oh, there's certainly been a fair amount of stupid on both sides of the argument.

But that doesn't make your caustic dismissal of fraternities any more rational. I don't think frats are quite the walking stereotypes they once were, even if many, or even most, of them still exhibit a large number of those qualities.

I would have to agree. However I find that the larger the school you go to (or the larger the greek organization, 11 Houses versus 35, ya know) the worse things get. I mean, isn't that just normal? It's much harder for a 35 group...uh, group to police itself when compared to an 11 group...group. (god I hope that's readable).

I'm actually pretty surprised that someone mentioned kegs, as we banned them long ago from our house, then our IFC banned them, then the Institute Administration banned them. So yeah, we use cans now. There hasn't been a keg here in....5 years or so.

At the risk of identifying myself too much, if anyone lives in/goes to school in/around the Massachusetts area, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll be sure to let you know when we're having a party. I'd especially like to invite people who typically hate 'frat' parties. Could be interesting, no?

Now, who wants to bet on how long it takes someone from my chapter to see this? I'm saying <1week.

Iceman.USAF on
  • vrstvrst Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    vrst wrote: »
    Eh, what if I'd rather party while I live instead of pulling a big salary? Really, I couldn't care less about what I'm going to earn. With a university diploma, it's going to be enough anyway.

Earning enough for what? Live for yourself? Probably. Support a family, afford the best schools for your children, the best doctors when shit goes bad, etc.? Nope.

Eh, yes? A university degree in my field will give you enough to live very comfortably around here, even with a familiy, if you would want one. Which I don't -- that is, I don't want kids.

Furthermore: support a familiy? Do you live in the 50's? A familiy usually lives of off two salaries here (yes, the women work!), and what if someone else would support for me, me doing the household? Your argument is full of fallacy.

Furthermore number 2: yes, it would also be enough to afford the best schools for my kids, because even when you're on state allowance you can afford to. The same goes for the best doctors: our healthcare (and education), is not comercialized like the one in the US. We pay (alot of) income based taxes, so everyone can go to the best doctors and to university (if you're smart and motivated enough, obviously).
    =ege02 wrote: »
    By the way, it's my stern belief that the less you party and fuck around at college, the bigger you mid-life crisis will be.

Unless you have some sort of data to back this seeming bullshit, it will remain just that: bullshit.

You are the king of discussion. Thanks for this amazing argument.

Hey, do you have some sort of data to proof that it is bullshit? Christ.

vrst on
  • vrstvrst Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    ege02 wrote: »
    By the way, it's my stern belief that the less you party and fuck around at college, the bigger you mid-life crisis will be.
    Unless you have some sort of data to back this seeming bullshit, it will remain just that: bullshit.
    I can't figure out how people who don't go to college figure into that idea. Oh well, I guess they don't count.

You're right, I should have been more nuanced there. Replace college with youth, or early adulthood or so. It's just easier to party and fuck around at college than in most other professions at that age. I mean, the whole social culture is built to make it as easy as possible if you want it.

vrst on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I kind of would feel more comfortable if all these intelligent, mature, seasoned and kind frats and sororities would public decry and take steps away from the frats being discussed in the thread.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited June 2007
    Look, I am VC!

Graaar! Snarl!

wooooo! titties!

As I've said, the problem isn't that every frat member is all of these stereotypes, it's that the vast majority of frats willingly and cheerfully provide social shelter to people who exemplify the worst of the stereotypes, allowing them to go to school in an environment where they'll never have to learn, for example, that it's wrong to think of women as simply targets.

ViolentChemistry on
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I empathize with everyone who's trying to defend frats from negative stereotypes in here, because they're not all bad. The problem is that everyone who fits those stereotype instantly gravitates to the Greek system upon getting to college. At a big school like the one I went to, you therefore end up with a couple frats filled with awesome people, a fair number of frats mostly filled with normal people with a few assholes mixed in, and some frats consisting of members whose college existence is devoted to drinking all the beer on campus and sleeping with every sorority girl they lay eyes on.

It's hard to believe it's just stereotypes when you walk past living examples every weekend.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's funny how generalizations are okay as long as it meshes with the hive mind of this particular forum but if you make a reasonable generalization such as older people tend to be more mature than younger people an old fashioned gang rapin' starts.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=25838

smart people.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    It's funny how generalizations are okay as long as it meshes with the hive mind of this particular forum but if you make a reasonable generalization such as older people tend to be more mature than younger people an old fashioned gang rapin' starts.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=25838

smart people.

Yeah, it's totally the hive-mind and not the fact that you based advice on handling a personal and specific situation by referencing the very broadest of generalities without leaving any room for exceptions. Fuckstick.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited June 2007
    I kind of would feel more comfortable if all these intelligent, mature, seasoned and kind frats and sororities would public decry and take steps away from the frats being discussed in the thread.

We do, on a regular basis. Once we even got another fraternity kicked off campus, but it was a group effort involving four or five other fraternities. If you've ever tried to do anything with a group of college kids, you'll know that organizing things is very very hard. But just like its easy to automatically stereotype all fraternities and sororities, its easy to ignore problems within them until they get big.

Malkor on
    edited June 2007
    As I've said, the problem isn't that every frat member is all of these stereotypes, it's that the vast majority of frats willingly and cheerfully provide social shelter to people who exemplify the worst of the stereotypes, allowing them to go to school in an environment where they'll never have to learn, for example, that it's wrong to think of women as simply targets.

I think saying that "the vast majority" of frats are anything is pretty much impossible to prove using the My Anecdote Is Bigger Than Yours method that we're all relying upon. It seems that frats vary largely by school - some schools have better frats, and some have shittier frats. You, for example, seem to have been exposed principally to schools with shitty frats. The frats at my school seemed fine. Short of either some firm data, or some person who has visited hundreds of frats at dozens of schools in varied regions across the country, I think the best we can do is say that some frats suck, and others don't. Anything further is just going to be stereotyping masquerading as insight.

ElJeffe on