Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Great Moments in Tabletop Gaming

• SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    My second time tabletop gaming was with D&D 3rd Ed. (first was Star Wars d20). Now, I'm told (and can't help but agree) that the new players are usually the most creative, since as often as not they'll pick what sounds interesting instead of what is more combat-effective. This is a great definition of me at this point.

In the process of making an elven druid, I decided to pick (among others) Make Plant Sentient (or whatever it's called - I haven't played in about two years).

At one point, while we relaxed in some powerful mage's castle (it was attacked soon after), I decided to give a small fern the gift of awareness and called it Bill. After I left the campaign, Bill apparently lived on for quite some time, until some guy that was carrying him in his pack was thrown over a cliff. That kinda sucked for Bill.

It's an easy game to hate
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    My second time tabletop gaming was with D&D 3rd Ed. (first was Star Wars d20). Now, I'm told (and can't help but agree) that the new players are usually the most creative, since as often as not they'll pick what sounds interesting instead of what is more combat-effective. This is a great definition of me at this point.

In the process of making an elven druid, I decided to pick (among others) Make Plant Sentient (or whatever it's called - I haven't played in about two years).

At one point, while we relaxed in some powerful mage's castle (it was attacked soon after), I decided to give a small fern the gift of awareness and called it Bill. After I left the campaign, Bill apparently lived on for quite some time, until some guy that was carrying him in his pack was thrown over a cliff. That kinda sucked for Bill.

ME BIL.

I haven't had a chance to play a character yet, since I'm the only one out of all my friends that has the DM books and such. However, I do make life hard for my friends.

In our group, we have an Elven Ranger, a Dwarven Ranger, a Half-Dragon Barbarian (Who I will get to later), and a Human Cleric.

So, in their first dungeon, they're in a mine shaft clearing out kobold. THey happen to find the leader, M'dok, up on a cliff with four ropes hanging off the cliff, the overall room being quite huge with stalagmites (the ones that stick out of the ground). The party takes cover while some kobolds protect the leader, others cut two of the ropes, and a few more jump off the cliff. The Dwarf beats the ones that hopped down senseless, and the Elf climbs up one of the two remaining ropes, hops over the cliff edge, and holds the leader at knife-point. He then bargains with the leader (through the Half-Dragon), who then agrees to leave. So, the Dwarf and the Cleric both climb up, and the only one left down on the floor is the Half-Dragon.

It is at this point that I should describe this Half-Dragon. My friend who made him has a fascination with online characters. The Half-Dragon has Green skin, has Cone of Fire (the skin color is the negative of what dragon he is due to a birth defect), and has one huge, beefy arm.

Yes, it's Trogdor.

unfortunately, due to Trogdors one-arm-ness, he has a tough time making it up the cliffs, not only because of the penalty, but because every time he rolled a really shitty number (2, 3, 3, 7, then 1). On the one, the rope snaps, and there's one rope left for him to climb. The others yell down to him to tie it around his waist. He does, and the others lift (feeling bad, since they got such high checks for all 3 of them pulling Trogdor up).

Then I scared him by saying rthe rope was starting to fray towards the top. He hated me after that.

Plus, our Dwarf is a dumbass. After mentioning that the mine is infected with the Burning Plague, he goes and eats some stew that some infected Kobold were eating. Idiot.

i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Nah, but she's the only female DE character.

nah, you forget about cruellagh the vile or whatever her name was, but lelith was the only one worth taking.

yeah... if she is wounded that means she lost the shadow field... so she was like any other wych, they aren't hard to kill... a vindicare took down an entire squad of wyches in close combat once... i cried.
    A Vindicare only has one or two attacks, and the Wyches have a 4+ Inv.

Seriously, I have no idea how this kind of shit could actually happen.

sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    i caused no wounds, he caused 1. i failed leadership.. he ran them down.

steam_sig.png
  • ToastToast Registered User
    edited February 2005
    Heh, the other thing that really amused me was the time my squad of grots lost their slaver and still passed two leadership tests in a row.

• TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited February 2005
    exit wrote:
    vampire story

Man, why would you send the hunters in when you had a vampire? Vampires are good for fucking stuff up, hunters are good for... having sex with men and stuff.

If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
    edited February 2005
    i caused no wounds, he caused 1. i failed leadership.. he ran them down.
    Oh, so it was an old Morale High Ground situation. Those did all kinds of fucked up things. Makes more sense.

sig.png
  • DarksiderDarksider Registered User
    edited February 2005
    hunters are good for failing. miserably. improvised weaponry and a handful of afterthought edges? puhleeeaaaaase. especially with a nossie, why not just obfuscate your way in, wake up the werewolf then watch the mayhem as everything in your exit path gets torn into pieces very vaguely resembling human limbs

sig.pl?darksider
    edited February 2005
    I think you're underestimating the power of the level five edge Persuade Sailor To Piss On Face. Truly the most mighty of all hunter gifts.

If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
    edited February 2005
    Although clearly the level four edge Become Rent Boy has it's uses.

• DarksiderDarksider Registered User
    edited February 2005
    Everyone can agree: Hunters eat dick compared to any real supernaturals in world of darkness. Big, hairy dick.

sig.pl?darksider
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    exit wrote:
    vampire story

Man, why would you send the hunters in when you had a vampire? Vampires are good for fucking stuff up, hunters are good for... having sex with men and stuff.
    You can strap them to the front of your car, Mad Max style to act like bumpers

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I... I just got taught to play Magic: The Gathering.

and I had fun.

I'm gonna be fucking broke.

zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I will be the first of likely many to offer you my collection (80% of which is Invasion-block or later) for a nominal fee.

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
    edited February 2005
    My play group started our new campaign tonight. And it was glorious.

A bit of backstory: This was our DM's first time helming a real game. We had done a few minor out-in-the-woods skirmishes with his guidance before, but nothing quite this major. Our party had enlisted in the city's guard corps to gain citizenship, and tonight was our first mission. We were to collect some back taxes from a local bartender while simultaneously busting his drug trade.

The DM's vision went something like this: Head in, have a behind-closed-doors discussion with the bartender about the taxes, find out that it's actually a gang of thugs forcing him to sell the stuff, go upstairs, rough up the thugs a bit, collect the tax money, and call it a day.

In reality, it was quite different. Our wizard and rogue (who has 13 in his goddamn hide skill at level 1 thanks to being a halfling) get the guy in his back room by attempting a drug deal, knock him out and stuff him in his trunk. Our fighters guard the doors while I (the chaotic-good cleric) touch-kill the only two armed patrons of the bar with Inflict Light Wounds, then heal them back to stability and tell their friend to let them sleep it off. Our dwarf fighter incites a bar brawl over a game of cards by helping one of the players cheat, and the ruckus alerts the thugs upstairs to our presence. One of them comes down just as the wizard, rogue, and dwarf start dragging the trunk from the back room. I successfully Cause Fear on him, and he sprints back up the stairs weeping. Three of his buddies come down, we take them out, etc. etc., one of the fighters has to tackle the rogue to keep him from tossing a jar of alchemist's fire into the booze cellar and torching the entire building, we go upstairs and find a huge drug stash. Next game is going to start with us filing a report to our superiors.

The last in-game phrase uttered tonight was "Maybe we should let the guy out of the trunk now."

• AllonAllon Registered User
    edited February 2005
    For some reason a lot of games tend to end up that way... I blame players... <_<

RPG.net wrote:
    You have been banned for the following reason:
    "Cockfags" is unacceptable language
    Date the ban will be lifted: 06-10-2006, 05:00 PM
    edited February 2005
    Yeah, but I bet it was - to coin a phrase from some ad campaign - a "raucous good time."

sig.png
  • apotheosapotheos Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2005
    I'm sad to see this thread is all RPG or CCG.

So I shall sacrifice the H-Scroll for the glory that is board games!

pic62774.jpg

猿も木から落ちる
  • KatoKato Registered User
    edited February 2005
    What game is that?

Signature??
    edited February 2005
    Seems Middle-Earthish...

RPG.net wrote:
  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Hey, Ive posted some board games stories before... no one seemed to care earlier... Like my friends 1-turn win on Risk...

Is that the War of the Ring boardgame? Ive never played it... I have the LOTR Risk though, but, thats clearly not LOTR Risk...

And I want this game damnit...

AV8661.jpg

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2005
    LotR Risk, I believe.

sig.png
  • KatoKato Registered User
    edited February 2005
    LotR Risk, I believe.

I've played the LOTR Risk quite a bit and none of the pieces or boards I've seen look like that :(

Signature??
    edited February 2005
    Yeah, it is the War of the Ring board game... Is that any good?

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2005
    Ermm... Why is Gondor undefended?

RPG.net wrote:
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Speaking of table-top games... and this is not about a hilarious experience...

I recently played a PC demo that reminded me a little of Mage Knight. The game was Massive Assault.

It's a turn-based game where each item has a movement phase, an attack phase, etc. I did not get far enough into the demo to see if there were buffs and stuff...

But that got me into thinking that an online version of Mage Knight would be SO cool. It would have to be 3D. The terrain possibilities would be endless. The computer would show easily the range of movement as well as the area that an attack could reach - no guessing. Maybe even have it so that you can color your own pieces (like many people like to custom-paint theirs) - nothing fancy, select a color or texture and it fills an area on the figure. Pieces could be animated, too.

It would open up the availability to players incredibly - there'd always be someone to play. And you wouldn't have to lug all these pieces around.

I guess it would be the equivelent of Magic: The Gathering going digital (one of my favorite games of all time).

Is there such a thing in developemnt? Do you think it'll ever happen?

I've been goofing with the idea of programming a simplified version in Shockwave... but the multiplayer part would be over my head.

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Rothgarr wrote:
    Speaking of table-top games... and this is not about a hilarious experience...

I recently played a PC demo that reminded me a little of Mage Knight. The game was Massive Assault.

It's a turn-based game where each item has a movement phase, an attack phase, etc. I did not get far enough into the demo to see if there were buffs and stuff...

But that got me into thinking that an online version of Mage Knight would be SO cool. It would have to be 3D. The terrain possibilities would be endless. The computer would show easily the range of movement as well as the area that an attack could reach - no guessing. Maybe even have it so that you can color your own pieces (like many people like to custom-paint theirs) - nothing fancy, select a color or texture and it fills an area on the figure. Pieces could be animated, too.

It would open up the availability to players incredibly - there'd always be someone to play. And you wouldn't have to lug all these pieces around.

I guess it would be the equivelent of Magic: The Gathering going digital (one of my favorite games of all time).

Is there such a thing in developemnt? Do you think it'll ever happen?

I've been goofing with the idea of programming a simplified version in Shockwave... but the multiplayer part would be over my head.

well, I know they have digital versions of many classic pen and paper RPGs, and due to the way the games work, I'm assuming they offer the option to do custom pieces.

you might be able to adapt one of those to the game if they don't have a dedicated one.

speaking of which, we need to find one of these, and get a game on started. I'd love to do some heroclix, or learn how to do various other games with the other PAers.

edited February 2005
    Rothgarr wrote:
    Like this? :P

• Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    A friend of mine played a half orc barbarian called Rex. He would skin things and then play with the skins. At level 3 he took out a pair of young dragons, first a white dragon, then a black dragon. He turned them into gloves.

Anyway, not being the cleverest character (or, infact, the cleverest gamer) he tried to jump a gorge in plate armour. He had approximately 36 HP. He took approximately 400 damage from the fall.

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Rothgarr wrote:
    Like this? :P

Well, I knew that - I've been playing the online version since beta... what I meant was - originally Magic was cards only. Who would have thought that it would ever go digital where you'd buy virtual cards.

They already did it to Magic, why not do it to Mage Knight?

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    A friend of mine played a half orc barbarian called Rex. He would skin things and then play with the skins. At level 3 he took out a pair of young dragons, first a white dragon, then a black dragon. He turned them into gloves.

Anyway, not being the cleverest character (or, infact, the cleverest gamer) he tried to jump a gorge in plate armour. He had approximately 36 HP. He took approximately 400 damage from the fall.

Please tell me he tried to flap his arms.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    My current D&D character has a tendency to poke dangerous looking objects with his Glaive.

DM: You see a wagon covered with strange looking runes.
    Me: I take my glaice and poke it.
    DM: nothing happens that you notice.
    the wagon's owner comes out, gives us a yelling at, touches the wagon, and leaves.

the DM later tells us that it was a delayed-blast fireball trap.

Later:

*Everyone takes spot checks, most pass*
    DM:You see several raised plates in the floor of this room.
    Psionicist: guys, don't touch the pla-
    Me: I jab one of the plates with my glaive.
    Everyone else: ....
    DM: you see several creatures appear out of thin air.

zaku.png
  • I LOVE P.A.!I LOVE P.A.! Registered User
    edited February 2005
    The first and only time I played D and D, I had no idea what I was doing and none of the guys I was with would tell me anything or clarify the rules. So when it came time for my character to get in, the DM was being a real ass about me not knowing how to play the game, even though I was asking for help. Part of the story was I had to go say bye to my folks and my employer, which he made them ass' to get at me for being a noob. So, I had my character take his father to a bar, where I got the father drunk and started telling him to do stuff, like hit that guy or leave without paying. Everytime I didn't roll high enough to overcome the guys constitution. Finally I said, "Go kill mom and then go kill my boss.", it was that time that heaven smiled on me by letting me roll a 20. He killed my mom and attempted to kill my boss, sadly he was overcome and beheaded by the state. I ran out on a bar tab and left the town and was killed 5 minutes later by 10 trolls.

twas fun for the 10 minutes of my life that it killed.

• BranduilBranduil Registered User
    edited February 2005
    So I was playing this weathered Dwarven fighter. The other characters were my adopted children, a male and female fighter, as well as a rogue.

We were exploring this creepy old catacomb, and we find the boss, his name is Manhunter Magee or something like that. He's on top of this platform, protected by a forcefield, across a chasm.

He sends his undead goons after us. Pretty soon I forget about the forcefield. Since I have boots of jumping, I decide I can make it across to Magee.

Picture a dwarf, in full-plate armor, jumping 40 feet into the air, across a chasm, straight into an invisible forcefield. As he falls into the chasm my character has time to cry out "fly you fools!"

You would think I was doomed, but amazingly, I manage to drag my pickaxe into the wall, and I come to a stop 5 feet from a bed of spikes.

We eventually defeat Magee, and he disappears. We are exploring the platfrom he was on when the male fighter, in a fit of whimsy, decides to use his Quaal's Tree token on the platform. The Rogue and I barely make our reflex saves as a 40 foot tall tree spouts up on the platform and keeps us from finding the secret passage.

That's all for now.

mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
    edited February 2005
    I have now been pushed furthermore into the "Necrons are fucking broken" camp.

On the other hand, at least my Librarian managed to not kill himself everytime he used his Force Weapon.

zaku.png
  • apotheosapotheos Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2005
    Allon wrote:

I think they were just modelling the pieces for the photo.

War of the Ring is a simply superb game, I can't recommend it highly enough.

猿も木から落ちる
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    why wrote:
    I have now been pushed furthermore into the "Necrons are fucking broken" camp.

On the other hand, at least my Librarian managed to not kill himself everytime he used his Force Weapon.

Librarians, by and large, are worthless against Necrons. Warscythes and C'Tan eat them alive, so there's nothing good that they can use a force weapon on. Predators with Lascannons aplenty, now there's an idea.

I would also like to state that Space Wolves kick the most ass of anything ever. They kick so much ass that they are in fact quite busy kicking asses that do not yet exist.

edited February 2005
    Nono, I played two games tonight, one vs. the Necrons, which I ended up rather screwed in as I took about 5 flamers because I throught I'd be facing Tyranids... But I was screwed that game anyway.

Seriously, a 220 point Terminator command squad lead by a Reclusarch managed to Deep Strike RIGHT INTO an abandoned rhino that we were using as terrain. most everything I killed got up minutes later due to that damned orb thingamajig that his commander carried. Luckily I managed to take the damned thing out. Dreadnoughts are nice.

Next game, I was against a "renegade" marine chapter. Lost the flamers, took more plasma love and some bikes. Lost half of my assault squad in the first turn and one of the bikes.

Fortunately, said assault squad managed to bring down half his command squad before they bit the dust, and the Bikes immobilized his Land Raider crusader on my first turn. Then again, my Dread was useless this time, rolling 2's everytime he tried to use his Lascannon on the damned Predator. Though that one was strictly a Draw.

As for the Librarian, A game against the Tau a while back just went badly. Going after his command suit, my Codicer managed to fumble his Perils of the Warp test TWICE on his force weapon check. His head asplode.

zaku.png
    edited February 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    Allon wrote:

I think they were just modelling the pieces for the photo.

War of the Ring is a simply superb game, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I may have to look into that sometime. My friends just bought Risk Godstorm earlier today and we played a game where I got mercilessly slaughtered for pissing everyone off(Like I usually do on Risk), and yet the game seemed alot more balanced then previous iterations of Risk Ive played(Havnt played 2210, anyone here played it? IS it worth getting?).

This may turn out to be my favorite version of Risk, my only complaint is the Norse and Egyptian armies are too damn similar in color on the board...

steam_sig.png
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2005
    I once rolled five crits in a row.

With a +1 composite longbow (+3 Str).

Fencingsax wrote:
    Death metal hippies: BLARRRGRH!!! PEACE MAN!!11!