Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Great Moments in Tabletop Gaming

• SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I had two games that are talked about constantly.

One was Legend of the Five Rings, which was SO legendary I'm trying to get another game going.

The characters had been sent to explore a hidden valley talked about in records found by their lord. Amoung the many silly things that happened was one characters increadibly bad luck with swords.

Magic items in the game are supposed to be increadibly rare, but he wanted himself a magic sword and so ANY candidate that presented itself he jumped at. This included stealing an ancient sword off a statue in a temple. The sword was obviously an outdated piece of crap decoration, and I told him so repeatedly, but he wouldn't listen. This prompted the temple kami (spirits) to curse him for stealing items out of the temple and he eventually went insane, wandering off from the party and getting lost for several game time months. He then got to fight an Ogre single handedly. Combat in L5R is very lethal, and Ogres are much, much tougher than the DnD variety.

He didn't learn his lesson though.

Eventually he got his hands on a real magic sword, which was the shiznatz, threw lightening bolts, always showed a blue cloudy sky in the blades reflectiong, the whole bit.

Magic items are considered to be spirits themselves in L5R and so you have to treat them with extreme honor and respect for them to work. His method of getting the sword to work?

"WORK DAMNIT YOU PIECE OF (&^@#&$^&^#@$!!!"

I'd make him do a void role (one of the stats indicating strength of soul) with a high difficulty thanks to his wonderful respect for the sword, he'd fail, and then I'd reduce his void temporarily.

And then he'd get himself in a worse situation and try to make the sword work again. And again fail.

It was very, very sad. But funny.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited February 2005
    The most famous story from my old group was fighting Straud from Ravenloft.

The GM tended to be full of himself and he gave his own character (yeah he had a character) a magic weapon.

So Straud shows up and he yells "Stand back! I have the only magic weapon!"

At which point the elven archer snaps the metal point off an arrow and shoots Straud, rolling a natural 20 and instantly killing the vampire lord with a shot to the heart with a wooden stake.

steam_sig.png
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I think I may just use this thread to chronicle my D&D sessions.

And I think we completely went against our DM's expectations again tonight. The city guard had the head of the drug ring pinned down inside their dockside warehouse, and our little A-Team was called in to flush them out and capture the leader. They had archers posted on the top of the warehouse, apparently with orders to shoot anyone on sight. The entrance was on the opposite side of the building from where we were, and we needed to walk across their line of sight to get there. We needed a shield, or a diversion, or something to get us in without being killed. So naturally, we bought a canoe from the boat shop next door. Using it for cover, three of us sprinted by the archers while the other two slipped around the back.

We arrive at the entrance, and the door is locked. But that's not really a problem; we have a dwarf. Dwarf rams door, natural 20, door blows off of its hinges. Probably would have killed anyone behind it were there someone unfortunate enough to be answering our previous knocks. Meanwhile, our halfling rogue removes one of the archers' heads with his crossbow after being shot through the hand while climbing up the building.

We get in, dispatch a few goons, and sweep the room for any suspicious activity. Our wizard rushes through the middle of the room to investigate a whispered conversation (Ghost Voice, it turned out), and his path takes him directly under the warehouse cargo lift. It drops, he fails reflex save, and is pinned by his lower leg to the warehouse floor.

The ringleader jumps off the lift and makes a break for the door, and provokes an attack of opportunity from one of our fighters. 19, critical threat; 8, just barely makes the AC check. Batter up, bitch. He flat-blades the guy for subdual damage (our orders were to take him alive); 17 to a wizard with less than 8 HP. Out of the park. Knocks the guy across the room, we tie him up, extract our buddy from under 300 pounds of boxes, Cleric him back up to mobility, mission complete.

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • AllonAllon Registered User
    edited March 2005
    A friend of mine played a half orc barbarian called Rex. He would skin things and then play with the skins. At level 3 he took out a pair of young dragons, first a white dragon, then a black dragon. He turned them into gloves.

Anyway, not being the cleverest character (or, infact, the cleverest gamer) he tried to jump a gorge in plate armour. He had approximately 36 HP. He took approximately 400 damage from the fall.

Here's some nice stuff about falling:

http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue9/fallingguide1.html

Oh Critical Miss, why did you leave us? :cry:

Also, Librarians own the shit out of everything!

xmslib.jpg

RPG.net wrote:
    You have been banned for the following reason:
    "Cockfags" is unacceptable language
    Date the ban will be lifted: 06-10-2006, 05:00 PM
  • 3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User
    edited March 2005
    I think I may just use this thread to chronicle my D&D sessions.

And I think we completely went against our DM's expectations again tonight. The city guard had the head of the drug ring pinned down inside their dockside warehouse, and our little A-Team was called in to flush them out and capture the leader. They had archers posted on the top of the warehouse, apparently with orders to shoot anyone on sight. The entrance was on the opposite side of the building from where we were, and we needed to walk across their line of sight to get there. We needed a shield, or a diversion, or something to get us in without being killed. So naturally, we bought a canoe from the boat shop next door. Using it for cover, three of us sprinted by the archers while the other two slipped around the back.

We arrive at the entrance, and the door is locked. But that's not really a problem; we have a dwarf. Dwarf rams door, natural 20, door blows off of its hinges. Probably would have killed anyone behind it were there someone unfortunate enough to be answering our previous knocks. Meanwhile, our halfling rogue removes one of the archers' heads with his crossbow after being shot through the hand while climbing up the building.

We get in, dispatch a few goons, and sweep the room for any suspicious activity. Our wizard rushes through the middle of the room to investigate a whispered conversation (Ghost Voice, it turned out), and his path takes him directly under the warehouse cargo lift. It drops, he fails reflex save, and is pinned by his lower leg to the warehouse floor.

The ringleader jumps off the lift and makes a break for the door, and provokes an attack of opportunity from one of our fighters. 19, critical threat; 8, just barely makes the AC check. Batter up, bitch. He flat-blades the guy for subdual damage (our orders were to take him alive); 17 to a wizard with less than 8 HP. Out of the park. Knocks the guy across the room, we tie him up, extract our buddy from under 300 pounds of boxes, Cleric him back up to mobility, mission complete.

Does your DM make these quests up? The reason I ask is because when I play D&D it seems very linear and it seems like we dont have the same amount of involvement in the story. I have only played about 5 times however so that could be why.

civilwarTR.jpg
    edited March 2005
    3rdrocket wrote:
    Does your DM make these quests up? The reason I ask is because when I play D&D it seems very linear and it seems like we dont have the same amount of involvement in the story. I have only played about 5 times however so that could be why.
    Yep. The majority of it is semi-predetermined by him (maps, item/enemy placement, "triggered" events, etc.) but how we actually go about the task is, well, flexible to say the least.

• 3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User
    edited March 2005
    I see. Well I guess it's up to me and my fellow Pcs to add some spice to our adventures.

I think I can do that. :D

civilwarTR.jpg
  • MukaikuboMukaikubo Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Just don't call him a m...

Okay. There was a supreme court justice named Blackmun. Take the last syllable of his name- keep it in your head, good. Now, what do you stick in a door to open it? Besides a crowbar. Yes, a key. Now, put that syllable in front of that word, and OH GODS NO DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD

• FencingsaxFencingsax Bondage Discipline Spider-Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Mukaikubo wrote:
    Just don't call him a m...

Okay. There was a supreme court justice named Blackmun. Take the last syllable of his name- keep it in your head, good. Now, what do you stick in a door to open it? Besides a crowbar. Yes, a key. Now, put that syllable in front of that word, and OH GODS NO DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD

Or a "priestly deadbolt-lifter"

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Mukaikubo wrote:
    OH GODS NO DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD

Ook?

I was given a large plush orangutang as a gag gift once. He sits on top of my bookshelf and makes sure the books don't try to escape.

This space intentionally left blank.
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    When I was in 5th or 6th grade my brother was playing the Starwars RPG with his friends and they let me in on it. So I was a pilot, and we ended up getting into a fight with a ship we had to board and steal stim styx from. So I opened fire on the ship, and I forgot how the rule went exactly, but rolling something (I think double sixes) would allow me to fire again.

I did it three times in a row, thus obliterating the ship. Oops.

And then one time while kicking off a game of DND I died by getting kicked in the nuts by a goblin.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    It's not funny, it's just my favorite moment:

when the Vampire TCG was called Jyhad, I built a Gangrel deck based on Claws of the Dead, wolfs claws, Bum Rush, Wake with Evenings Freshness, and Amaranth. once i slapped them with some aggro damage i'd amaranth their ass. - super simple, and it went unbeaten for 11 games - which was unheard of with my group.

signaturedisgaea.png
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I just had an amazing game of Warhammer 40,000. My strongest squad (in a 1300 point game) was a squad of 11 Blood Claws with a Wolf Guard led by me Space Wolf Wolf Lord. I was fighting Imperial Guard.

Anywho, my squad o' doom makes combat, charges and annihilates a squad of Guard and sweeps into another squad. They are then countercharged by *every singe infantry unit he had*. 13 on over 70. Combat was still going on four turns later, I was down to 9 and he still had 60 Guardsmen left.

That, ladies and gents, is a heroic last stand.

• ToastToast Registered User
    edited March 2005
    13 Blood Claws and Wolf Lord and you only killed ten IG in four turns?

• MechxwarlordMechxwarlord Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Im playing warhammer 40k at a tournament as dark eldar
    My army has about 5 big infantry squads with sybrytes and homunculi, with 4 raider squads and some jetbikes.
    Im playing against a guy who has a pretty standard gaurd army, hes got 3 lemun russ and a load of infantry,
    The first few turns are pretty slow as i advance behind cover and move my raiders 24 inches a turn towards him with the infantry going as quick as possible behind.
    Turn three he starts blowing holes in my army and things are looking pretty bad as three of my raiders crashed. By this time my raider with my lord and incubi has crashed about 18 inches away from his main gaurd squads and the lemun russes. they go behind some cover and hope for the best. all my other squads are all running or getting shot to bits as my whole strategy goes out the window as this guy cant roll anything under a 4.

So his 4th turn comes and he figures hes going to break the back of my army for good and finish me off. after moving some gaurd squads back and picking off a few of the incubi he aims the three lemun russes at them, the first two miss and im glad, but then i realise..... the only way i can win is by him killing all the incubi so my lord can fleet of foot into his army next turn.

His lemun russ demolisher turns and kills all the incubi and he gets kinda weirded out as i laugh under my breath at the end of the turn.

My fourth turn comes and i roll a 6 on fleet of foot and bring my lord into contact with his colonel. with 7 str 5 power weapon att at ws 7 i kil the entire squad and cause it to flee and advance into more of his guys.

The game goes on for 4 more turns as i kill 2 of his tanks and break his enitre army except the demlisher, it then tank shocked me and made my lord fall back. which he eventualy instant killed next roun with plasma cannons.

Best moment ever when that one demolisher shot ruined his entire game

edited March 2005
    Toast wrote:
    13 Blood Claws and Wolf Lord and you only killed ten IG in four turns?

Blood Claws were hitting the Guardsmen on 4s, and he had Close Order Drill, so we were going at same initiative. I'd hurt a squad, they wouldn't break, I wouldn't break because I wasn't losing combats at all, but he got me just through hitting me with 70 friggin' Guardsmen.

• TranceFreakTranceFreak Registered User
    edited March 2005
    One cool moment I had was in a Planescape campaign I was DMing. The PC had to infiltrate the Dustmen headquarters to destroy the factol (the leader). They doned dustmen type clothing and entered undetected. As they went room to room they came apon a kitchen and messhall. So the assassin PC decided that he would put poison in the food that was being made for lunch for all the Dustmen. The group persuaded the cooks that they were needed in a different area, so the cooks leave to let the PC's do as they please. They finally made their way to the factol, and using a sphere of anilelation(sp?) in the second round of combat, took off his head. Leaving, the PC passed by the mess hall to see all the Dustmen that ate laying on the floor in agony.

I only remember this because my group doesn't usually think things through, usually swing first, and ask questions later. This whole session there was only 2 rounds of combat. Any other session there would be 30 long rounds.

• AllonAllon Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Henroid wrote:

And then one time while kicking off a game of DND I died by getting kicked in the nuts by a goblin.

Playing a wizard were we? :wink:

RPG.net wrote:
    You have been banned for the following reason:
    "Cockfags" is unacceptable language
    Date the ban will be lifted: 06-10-2006, 05:00 PM
  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    FIRE WARRIORS TOOK DOWN LELITH?!

:shock:

That's nothin'.

I used to have a Crimson Fists plasma gunner who NEVER failed armor saves. He also didn't miss. I lost him once over the course of about two years, when my opponent and I played to the death, and he was specifically gunning for the model.

In a game against Dark Eldar, his squad was charged by Lelith. She managed to kill off the rest of the squad, and Plasma Gun Guy smacked her in the head for a wound. Two turns later, she was dead. That was a proper Space Marine.

snm_sig.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    ok, my favorite rouge moment was when my party and I were in basicly a giant machine, a colosuss that kept the world we were in existing, and we get to this room with about 20 wizards in it. As the rouge i sccout out ahead and hide in one of there shadows, steal the poor bastards fireball wang and start nuking the place. this was in a 10 by 10 room so basicly everyone was exploding and i managed to be the only on without a scratch on him. It was great because after i show the first one of the DM had the others start firing at me blowing up half their own guys in the process. :P

steam_sig.png
    I have a graphic design and illustration BLOG sometimes what I put on that blog turns into SHIRTS often those shirts are failed attempts at woot derby entries: Joy Buzzer
    edited March 2005
    Doodmann wrote:
    steal the poor bastards fireball wang and start nuking the place.
    I am keeping this for posterity. Editing is futile.

• BagelBagel __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2005
    Eh am I allowed to say I'm selling a 420$ orcs and goblins warhammer fantasy army for much much less than 420$?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Doodmann wrote:
    steal the poor bastards fireball wang and start nuking the place.
    I am keeping this for posterity. Editing is futile.

well what can i say, you have the evidence and i can do nothing. maybe i should start reading what i type before i post it.

steam_sig.png
    I have a graphic design and illustration BLOG sometimes what I put on that blog turns into SHIRTS often those shirts are failed attempts at woot derby entries: Joy Buzzer
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Sonar wrote:
    The most famous story from my old group was fighting Straud from Ravenloft.

The GM tended to be full of himself and he gave his own character (yeah he had a character) a magic weapon.

So Straud shows up and he yells "Stand back! I have the only magic weapon!"

At which point the elven archer snaps the metal point off an arrow and shoots Straud, rolling a natural 20 and instantly killing the vampire lord with a shot to the heart with a wooden stake.

I'm confused as to how the elf hit Straud-vampires are immune to normal weapons. I never have fought him, but people I play with did, and when they faced him he had both stoneskin and protection from magical weapons up as well. Not an easy fight.

Unless there's a psionic in your party.

edited March 2005
    Wooden stake to heart = instant kill for any vampire.

Natural 20 (2nd edition D&D) = bypass everything and do double damage, i.e. critical hit.

It was as clean a kill as you get in D&D

Remember, this had to be about 12 years ago this happened. Things have changed since then. I'm sure in the current edition Straud is unkillable by anthing less than a holy tac nuke handgrenade +5.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2005
    Sonar wrote:

Natural 20 (2nd edition D&D) = bypass everything and do double damage, i.e. critical hit.

Remember, this had to be about 12 years ago this happened. Things have changed since then. I'm sure in the current edition Straud is unkillable by anthing less than a holy tac nuke handgrenade +5.

They were playing in 2e as well. The problem I'm having is that according to your method, it's probable 20 level 1 archers can kill any vampire on their first volley.

I think the way vampires are intended to work are once they're down to 0 hitpoints, then you stake them, you can't just run up and slam a stake in their chest. Otherwise you'd just have the fighters do that as well, and the whole immune to normal weapons wouldn't matter at all.

• Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Well, the way it's -supposed- to work, a Vampire isn't ever going to be in a situation where he's in open ground vs 20 level 1 archers.

The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
    edited March 2005
    Shooting a vampire in combat with a stake, or stabbing him with one, is the equivalent of attacking a mage with an axe, but the mage has stoneskin up. You connect, but there's no effect. The vampire is immune to all non-magic weapons. It doesn't matter if it's a 2 or a 20 you roll, you cannot hit him with it.

Staking him outside of combat while he's asleep in his coffin is somehow handled differently. Is this still the same in 3.5?

These types of stories really bother me in D&D-you see all sorts of great triumphs over ridiculous monsters that shouldn't be happening because the DM is screwing up. Not using a monster's abilities, like in this case, or not having a dragon fly and use its breath weapon, etc, is just bad DMing.

Stradh is one of the toughest people in the game to fight. There's no reason a party should even expect to defeat him.

• Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User
    edited March 2005
    The party should expect to defeat him if the DM fucking -wants- the party to defeat him, source material be damned.

The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Ok, most of my 3rd edition chrs were eiterh a) a sorcerrer with all the good nuke spells or b) Half orc barbarian figther/berserker big dumb and strong.

Our first 3rd edition campagin started with us all stuck in cells, we of course get out but we don't ahve any equipment. So we spend the first part of the game trying to find weapons armor etc. We finally get out stuff the only weapon I could find was a great hammer. We start to get going, and the first thing we come apon is a series of doors down a long hallway. So we do the normal search / listen etc rolls on like 3 of the doors. So far nothing we come to a door were we hear someone behind it. So the rest of the party starts discussing how were going to go about this. I being the Half orc that I am, just say fuck it, and kick the door down ( natural 20) the conversation between me and the gm went something like this.

Me: I kick the door down, what do I see ?

Dm: You enter a small room with book shelves, and scrolls litterd about. sitting behind the desk is a scribe ...

Me: I kill him...roll Natural 20, roll natural 20....roll my dice max dmg.

Dm: Umm, hes dead jim..you turned him into paste.

needless to say I spent all my mojo on a crappy 1dh monster, the rest of the game didnt' go quite my way and I ended up dieing in a hail of crossbow fire . My sorcer on the other hand once we got up in lvls and when time stop and haste meant you got like 6 to 8 spells off in one turn.
    It usualy went something like..You run into a room full of big beasts and one dragon. 1st action mass haste, 2nd action time stop. I would then lay into them with a bunch of horrid wiltings, chain lightings, and what ever nasty I could come oup with and do like 300 dmg in one turn. This usulay led to the Dm having one of the dragons survive and then kill me.
    Was always good for a laugh, they got kinda tired of having to resurect me after every big combat but..what the hey hehe.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2005
    Just Thursday night durring our weekly Star Wars night my friends and I where attacked by a wayward Jedi trying to turn Sith(We wen't suppose to even stay on this planet..we where suppose to leave but didn't) He was our contact on our planet, but we figured out his secret plan. He was level 15 we level 5. my 2 partners where cut down in short work, I somehow avoided his light saber, rolled over to my dead friends body, pull out his Thermal Detenor , said somthing dramtic and pushed the button. Setting off the 30 second timer... so I kept him talking for about 24 seconds...then he started to run..so I shot the detenator killing us all in the blast. My GM was pissed beacause we just destroyed his campaign. Oops.

• SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I did something similar in my first experience with d20 Star Wars, bucketman, only it involved a madman attempting to blow up the ship we were all in. I threw my thermal detonator and used the force to accelerate it even faster towards his head for a last-second knockout. Unfortunately, I missed by millimeters and the ship was destroyed.

It's an easy game to hate
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I have found out the hard way that the pantomime spells in d20 modern (urban arcana) can be really funny, ecspecially when you forget you have them active.

You know that little handgun motion people make, while winking and making some sort of sound. Usually as a 'I understand, and will do so' motion.

It's really fucking deadly when you've forgotten you've got mime: Handgun running.

"Sorry about that Jimmy. Lets get you to the doctor."

"Gurgle"

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Sonar wrote:

They were playing in 2e as well. The problem I'm having is that according to your method, it's probable 20 level 1 archers can kill any vampire on their first volley.

I think the way vampires are intended to work are once they're down to 0 hitpoints, then you stake them, you can't just run up and slam a stake in their chest. Otherwise you'd just have the fighters do that as well, and the whole immune to normal weapons wouldn't matter at all.

It was second edition , it's not supposed to make sense. You could have damage reduction +1 and be hit by a god damn falling planet and be perfectly fine, unless it was a +1 planet. Then you were screwed

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited March 2005
    Tonight, our DM role-played a bard who showed up halfway between a village and the big city. Actual singing, ukelele playing and everything. He's a remarkably talented musician, but it still resulted in me scrambling through the PHB, only to discover that I'm one damn level too low for the Silence spell. :(

I gave him my 4SP/7CP change, while everyone else forked over a full GP for the experience. Nothing personal, my cleric just isn't a fan of bardic tunes in general. :P

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2005
    Skeaping of spoony bards....

The one and only time I have ever (and hopefully will ever) play one:

Me(bard) a friend(a rouge with a spiked chain...yeah he's not too bright) and a few other guys (Wizard, Monk, Drunken Priest, Old Vetren Warrior who could no longer kill, and a Gnome Berzerker) where hired by a city to help stop these large wind storms that where showing up and destryoing the crops. Mind you in this world Magic was illegal and the Elders have tried to snuff it out and very few people can even use it.

I forgot about that.

durring some downtime I cast 'Light' on a rock and talked a man into buying it..

Later that day I was turned in to the cops. I did escape from them and joined my other adventures...but we where killed by a group of lesser demons.

edited March 2005
    I just had an amazing game of Warhammer 40k. My Wolf Lord leading ten Blood claws (2 power weapons in the squad, who were in turn led by a Wolf Guard with close combat weapon and powerfist) and a squad of Grey Hunters (power weapon and powerfist) charged a Flesh Tearers (think Blood Angles, only with more Blood Rage and Death Company) group, consisting of the Chaplain with Death company, and a Librarian leading an Honour Guard.

The Wolf Lord charges in and slaughters the Honour Guard to a man (5 attacks with a Master Crafted Lightning Claw will do that...), then gets Force Weapon'd into oblivion. The Chaplain kills 2 Blood Claws while nimbly dodging 4 power weapon attacks from a Blood Claw. As my Wolf Lord falls, the Wolf Guard leading the Blood Claws steps up and shoves his powerfist into the Librarian's face, for an instant kill. The nimbly doding Chaplain nimbly dodged his way into a Grey Hunter powerfist, for yet another instant kill, and then an absolutely gross number of attacks felled the remaining Death Company.

So, to sum it up for those not fluent in Warhammer-lingo, basic grunts in my army beat the ever living shit out of the most elite close combat troops in the entire game.

FOR RUSS, BITCHES!

• NeelixNeelix Registered User
    edited March 2005
    My own D&D story here:

I DM for my friends, and we play only occasionally (once every couple of months) but every time we play we end up talking about the adventure for weeks, this story no exception.

The party is thus, 2 human fighters, one of them 7 feet tall bulging with muscles, but with the heart of a kitten, the other a somewhat older, wiser man, akin to Aragorn, 1 elf wizard, and 1 human cleric.

The quest is thus: sneak into the headquarters of a local half-orc guild and steal an artifact for the local elf guild in the town. This quest was meant to take 2 seconds so that I could unfold a huge story for the boys to play through. The elves gave them precise instructions as to how they should go about stealing the artifact, and I had set it up so that they would have had ZERO problems doing it. They wouldn't have faced a single half-orc. It would have been essentially go in, pick it up, leave.

So of course they forget all of the instructions.

They entered the building all right, by climbing up a shaft behind the building, but when it came to the simple action of turning right walking two doors down, opening the closet, removing the artifact, and leaving, they just couldn't do it.

They turned left.

They went downstairs.

They saw the empty ale kegs, the smashed furniture, the partially ajar door behind which 10 very tired, and very drunk half-orcs were sleeping.

They saw the small chest at the end of that room, which had a beam of moonlight shining directly upon it from the window..

Their minds said "CHEST = TREASURE" and not "Chest = clothes".

The wizard was first, and successfully snuck into the room. When he proceeded to sneak the chest, however, he rolled a 1.

His staff very loudly and sharply smacked every single bed post that he went by, akin to dragging a stick along a fence.

Hide behind chest! Roll for success! 1.

"You're standing directly in the moonlight. KRONK!"

Combat commenced.

Everyone sucked. HARD.

Die.
    Die.
    Die.

The wizened fighter, did the only smart thing. Ran.

The next morning, he searched for his friend's bodies. He found them outside the town. I think "Logical next step, he attempts to get them resurrected at the local temple."

My friend playing him thinks "I will build a funeral pyre, and destroy the bodies, so that they might be like Jedi"

My friends have gotten better at D&D, trust me.

• Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I remember a Warhammer 40k experience that was pretty decent. We were playing a quick 750 pt. game between Imperial Guard and Orks in a six turn slugfest to see who could tally up the most V.P.

So, we get going into it. The thing takes a total of about an hour and half. I'd hit him with a few tank blasts, wipe out some Boyz or something, then he'd get a Waaaaagh! going and hit me from the flanks. Took out my Armoured Fist Squad, our HQ's duked it out for a few turns, killed eachother. Basically, it was a massive bloodbath.

Want to know what it came down to?

A single guardsmen and two Orks. I took my turn and wound up killing an Ork in Close Combat and thought it was pretty good that he had made it that far.

The two models left on the table slugged it out with one another until turn six when that damn Ork finally squashed by Guardsman with a Choppa.

I'll be damned if I liked losing, but that was one of the best 40k games I'd ever played.

Needless to say, Sergeant Millkavi was upgraged to a Veteran Sergeant since that game. ;)

It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I just played a 1800 point game, Ulthwe vs. Tau.

Putting the beatdown on a person who absolutely abuses target lock, railgun submunitions, and skimmer line-of-sigh rules finally renewed my faith in the goddamned pointy-eared freaks.

Command battlesuit? Mind War'd the fuck out of him, and his shas'el buddy took some Reaper rounds to the face right after.
    Railgun-wielding Hammerhead that never, EVER moves less than 12'? Singing Spear'd that sucker in the face and took him down on a 6.
    Annoying Devilfish-mounted Fire Warrior squad? Transport taken down first turn, pinned, then eaten alive by my Avatar of Khaine.
    Stealth Suit squad? STARCANNON'D!
    entrenched Fire Warrior positions? Warp Spider finally coming into their own...

now imagine if I actually had some dedicated CC units or a Wraithlord involved.

zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483