Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Great Moments in Tabletop Gaming

• thorpethorpe Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Shouldn't this be Pen and Paper gaming rather than Tabletop gaming? Bahh, whatever. Call of Cthulhu, Shadows of Yog-Sothoth campaign. Yeah know, [spoiler:f31f712f8b] Having my PCs start spelunking through R'lyeh, only to be devoured/drowned by an angry Cthulhu was pretty fun [/spoiler:f31f712f8b] or the climax of Masks of Nyarlathotep on Grey Dragon Island.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PhrakkPhrakk Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Played some Warhammer 40k with my girlfriend (who plays Witchhunters) and a mutual friend (who was playing vanilla Space Marines) over the weekend. She was excited because she's finally got a good number of her Adeptes Sororitas painted and had just picked up a cannoness, finally making her army legal (she only started picking up pieces a few weeks ago). She was definately excited to see how her little HQ unit would do in battle. Anyway, first turn I manage to pass two morale tests to ignore her death cult assassins and rhino APC, and target her cannoness with the venom cannon mounted on my "kickyourass"-variant mutable warrior. I take two shots and manage to wound with one. My strength 7 blast doubles her toughness of 3, so she's forced to take her girl off the table as my mighty hive fleet converts her new supple-bodied vixen into a creamy paste, ignoring the other 2 wounds that she'd normally still have. She went on to bulldoze her way through my small termagaunt and hormagaunt squads before the night was over, while our mutual friend dealt swift punishment to the genestealers I tried to sneak up on him. We ended up cutting the game short when everyone got tired, but she ended the game with the most victory points, so we declared her the winner. I swear to god, it's the only reason I didn't end up sleeping on the couch.

I've noticed her reading up on the cost of equiping her cannoness with a retinue of celestians to act as fodder since then. I suggested that she just pick up an inquisitor lord and his retinue for a stronger HQ unit, but she mumbled something along the lines of "no boys allowed in my army" and went back to studying her codex.

• GenkiPenguinGenkiPenguin Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Well, I have a verry strange story of tbaletop gaming. D&D to be exact. Warning: the following story is very long!

Our party (six PCs and a Troll NPC) was fighting some powerful drow in the armory of an old underground palace. Our Paladin was able to weaken quite a few with Turn Undead and Healing Circle. Our half-troll rogue was backstabbing left and right, while my archer character missed. A lot. Our half-Yuan-Ti Barbarian was busy charging two drow spearmen when the only magic-using drow began casting a spell. The Paladin’s innate evil-meter went off the scale, and warned the rest of the party. The drow finished casting its spell, and reached out towards the rogue and troll NPC!

The rogue dodged out of the way, while the troll critically missed his reflex save. Suffice to say, the drow touched him and he died a very painful death! The DM told us it was a level-draining spell, and so us PCs proceeded to –carefully- kill the drow mage.

We were all bummed because the troll NPC was quite cool- he was a veritable storehouse of illegal information and items. He also was a drug dealer. (Our Paladin didn't know this, but I’m sure if he did he would have smote the troll where he stood.)

Now, the half-troll rogue and barbarian were casual friends with the NPC, and thus were somewhat distraught at his untimely demise. They decided to bury him. This is where the story gets odd.

The rogue and barbarian players told the DM their plan, and the DM told them that the troll’s body crumbled into dust when they touched it. Now, any normal PC would lament at this unfortunate event and move on. Not in this case.

The two players looked at each other, and then explained the DM their plan:

The troll NPC was a known dealer of drugs, poison and various other questionable substances. It was also known that the troll NPC ingested some of the very drugs he sold. Thus, his corpse would no doubt be riddled with strange and dangerous compounds.

Thus, they planned on taking the troll NPC’s ashes and storing them in a bag. So they could sell them later. As drugs. They also discussed trying to ingest the troll’s remains themselves, but decided against it. They much rather would prefer the gold certain people would pay for such –ahem- substances.

After hearing the two players explain their plan, the DM’s jaw dropped. Everyone at the table began to laugh uncontrollably. The DM actually let them do it, reminding them to not let the Paladin see them execute their plan.

We haven't found anybody who would want to but the “substance” yet, but I’m sure we will.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai
  • ihdihd Registered User
    edited April 2005
    *snip*

Wait. An Ithorian? :|

</pedanticSWgeek>

• Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    ihd wrote:
    *snip*

</pedanticSWgeek>

Ithorians are force sensitive too.

blackstav.jpg
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    ihd wrote:
    *snip*

</pedanticSWgeek>

Every race in the Star Wars d20 game is Force Sensitive (and by that I mean able to take the Force Sensitive feat). SO, theoreticlaly mind you, I could have Gungan Jedi or Ewok Jedi. Gungan Jedi would get a smiting from the force for merely existing, while I'd actually be rather interested in someone playing an Ewok Jedi...

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    In all fairness, the only really stupid gungan was Jar Jar. Otherwise, 'Generic Aquatic Race' isn't that bad.

Ewok Jedi? Meh. =\

sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    But Jar Jar was 99% of the screen time. He made all the gungans look horrible by association.

• Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Just this afternoon, A friend an I were playing 40k. It was myself playing 1000 of Praetorians, a force I've never used before. Him using his 1500 Eldar force (Ulthwe? He had some big guy with a scythe and was opening a wraithgate and letting is reserves teleport in.) His forces were driven back, forced into a ruined building by my only tank, a point blank Basilisk. I mortared the fuck out of his huddled cluster of soldiers. Felt good. Felt real good.

Spoiler:
    edited April 2005
    Well, the other gungans weren't associated with Jar Jar.... they exiled him.

• LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited April 2005

They fail because they should have killed him with fire, or the aquatic, kid friendly variant thereof.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2005

They fail because they should have killed him with fire, or the aquatic, kid friendly variant thereof.
    Yeah, Captain Tarsal, or whatever his name is, was a badass. So were the other Gungan soldiers.

The first thing they do to Jar Jar is shock him. I mean, I want those guys to be my friends.

FFXIV/Sargatanas/Wintry Ptarmigan
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Well then they should have exiled him in the direction away from the approaching cameras, because this appears to have backfired.

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Wuher declares this to be a No Jar-Jar Thread.

bartender.jpg

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Your Gungan, he'll have to wait outside, we don't want him here.

It's an easy game to hate
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Some of these might be "You just had to be there jokes", but here goes:

Star Wars D20: We found a working protocol droid in abandoned warehouse. We had plans to bolt an enormous screwdriver to its crotch and introduce the galaxy to droid snuff films. His trademark would be to scream out in a "Macho Man" Savage voice, "Screw...DRIVER!"

White Wolf: Nothing makes a better mobile bomb than a hobo strapped with C4 and the instructions, "When you the leader shakes your hand, press this button." Hobo-bombs 4-ever!

Rifts: The party had just discovered the town they stopped in was for the most part populated and run by werewolves.

Me: Jason, what are you doing?
    Jason: I'm running into the general store and grabbing whatever silver bullets they have.
    Me: Jason, you are in a town owned by WEREWOLVES.
    Jason: ...And?
    Me: (sigh)

Another story about Jason's character (a cyborg with guns implanted in his arms). I can't recall the countless times when the party was captured and their weapons confiscated that he would forget he had two weapons as BODY PARTS and claim they were confiscated as well. :roll:

• cytorakcytorak Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Another Rifts game had myself and another player fusing our two Saiyans (homebrewed, of course) and taking on the entire Mechanoid army AND WINNING.

Well, you see Mechanoids are SDC and Saiyans are MDC...

God, we put the "art" in "retarded" back then.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Phrakk wrote:
    Played some Warhammer 40k with my girlfriend (who plays Witchhunters) and a mutual friend (who was playing vanilla Space Marines) over the weekend. She was excited because she's finally got a good number of her Adeptes Sororitas painted and had just picked up a cannoness, finally making her army legal (she only started picking up pieces a few weeks ago). She was definately excited to see how her little HQ unit would do in battle. Anyway, first turn I manage to pass two morale tests to ignore her death cult assassins and rhino APC, and target her cannoness with the venom cannon mounted on my "kickyourass"-variant mutable warrior. I take two shots and manage to wound with one. My strength 7 blast doubles her toughness of 3, so she's forced to take her girl off the table as my mighty hive fleet converts her new supple-bodied vixen into a creamy paste, ignoring the other 2 wounds that she'd normally still have. She went on to bulldoze her way through my small termagaunt and hormagaunt squads before the night was over, while our mutual friend dealt swift punishment to the genestealers I tried to sneak up on him. We ended up cutting the game short when everyone got tired, but she ended the game with the most victory points, so we declared her the winner. I swear to god, it's the only reason I didn't end up sleeping on the couch.

I've noticed her reading up on the cost of equiping her cannoness with a retinue of celestians to act as fodder since then. I suggested that she just pick up an inquisitor lord and his retinue for a stronger HQ unit, but she mumbled something along the lines of "no boys allowed in my army" and went back to studying her codex.
    She should look into equipping her with a Jump Pack and. Also, was the Cannoness within 6" of a friendly squad? If so, you're not allowed to snipe her, as she's an Independent Character. Putting an IC in a retinue is generally discouraged for this reason, with a few exceptions (Marine characters in Terminator Command Squads with Assault Cannons, for example.)

The most efficient wargear layout for a Cannoness, if I remember correctly, is a Blessed Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, and Mantle of whatever. Alternatively you can replace the Blessed Weapon with an Eviscerator but I'm not sure it's really worth it as striking last kinda sucks.

sig.png
    edited April 2005
    I once played in a game of mage where my character - a fledgling mage - led a cult. The other two players weren't members of his cult per se, but were his allies in his endeavors. Anyways, one of his fellow magi are *rich*, and this is where he lives most of the time - otherwise, he lives in the log cabin that he runs his sermons out of. The same rich-friend bought that cabin.

Anyways, the rich guys has maids, and nothing important is happening, so Jacob, my mind-mage-cult-leader, uses his magic to help persuade one of the maids to sleep with him.

One pathetic roll and two in-game minutes later, Jacob is feeling stupid and the maid is leaving the bedroom looking more than a little displeased.

=\ He never tried to sleep with a maid again.

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited April 2005

Well they were about to before Qui-Gon was all like, "Nah."

DrMario1.jpg
    XBOX LIVE - VAULT BOY 42
  • ihdihd Registered User
    edited April 2005
    ihd wrote:
    *snip*

</pedanticSWgeek>

Every race in the Star Wars d20 game is Force Sensitive (and by that I mean able to take the Force Sensitive feat). SO, theoreticlaly mind you, I could have Gungan Jedi or Ewok Jedi. Gungan Jedi would get a smiting from the force for merely existing, while I'd actually be rather interested in someone playing an Ewok Jedi...

Yeah, but... they're pacifists. What does he do, trip people up and apologise profusely for it? :lol:

• WallyWally Registered User
    edited April 2005
    Not exactly a legendary tale, but one of the most memorable things from my few years of playing 40k. It was many years ago, back during a big store run battle for the Worldwide Ichar IV campaign that GW was running. Tyranids on one side with me and the Imperium on the other. A carnifex (big monstrous killing machine) was heading towards our frontline, but the bastard was using hardcover so the heavy weapon teams on the hill near my solitary...rhino (apc with the fire power of 2, yes 2, space marines) couldn't get a clear shot and our whirwind was busy trying to take care of the lictor (another killing machine) coming up the other side of the table. My rhino wouldn't be able to put a dent in the carnifex, unless I rammed it, but it was still using cover and even then it probably wouldn't do much. So I drove it right out into the open and in range of the carnifex. Now rather than ignore the empty apc it charged out of cover and annihilated my rhino, which left it standing in clear view of our big guns. To cut this story short, next turn he got his shit ruined. The end.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    While our level 2 party is staying as guests in a castle (we've done some minor jobs for the lord) we spot one of the servants talking to another band of adventurers, and send in our thief to try and overhear the conversation without being noticed. He succeeds, and picks up the words "secret passage" and "tonight."

Naturally, we search for this hidden portal, which is relatively easy with a moon elf sorceror with detect magic magic and 6th sense for hidden portals.
    We find it, go in, but post our bard near entrance, to telepathicly warn us when the other party comes in. We explore, find a few rooms with some monsters, we kill them, we find an exit into the woods near the castle, and lastly come upon a room with a big tome on a pedestal in it. There are 2 fungii in the room, but we kill them without much trouble.

Turns out the tome is protected from theft by elementals, and while we do manage to fight of the first 2 waves (2 wind elementals and earth elemental) we get hurt pretty bad, our barbarian down to 6 hp, the half-orc monk to 5hp, the thief also hurt, and i'm slightly injured.

The sorceror wants to see what shows up next, at which point the bard warns us the other party was coming. We hide in the passage leading up to the woods exit, and send in the thief to spy on the other party.

The thief throws a 3 for move silently. We pretty much figure we're in trouble, and the sorceror decides to throw 3 oil potions, while the barbarian lights a strip of cloth with his tinder box.

The thief runs back to us, trying to escape, and slips on the oil. 3 of the enemy party come running after her, the barbarian throws the flaming rag, and sets alight the oil with the 3 of the others in it. At this moment the sorceror casts colour spray and sleeps all 3. The other 2 are around the corner, so me and the half-orc monk use ranged weapons on the sleeping mage, killing him.

Next round, the thief recovers from the fall, shoots and arrow and the cleric coming around the corner, critical hit. The sorceror shoots his bow, and kills of the cleric. Our bard comes charging from the castle at the thief, damaging it. We shoot our bows / throw javelins (The thief apparently rolled low init), and we knock it unconscious again. The fire runs out, we take away the weapons of the sleeping fighters and hold them prisoner, stabilize 2 out of 3 of the fallen enemies, loot all of them, have the 2 fighters carry the 2 unconscious people back to castle.

Turns out, we were supposed to figure out the odds were to heavily against us, and run into the forest to continue the story line. Instead we killed of the rival party without them even attempting a single attack against us. I don't think anyone on our side rolled lower then a 14 for anything this fight.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • impsethimpseth Registered User
    edited April 2005
    I just remembered I have a story from battlemech:

So, I'm in my mech(I can't remember what type) standing on far side of a sandy hill. I can't see my opponents and neither can they. I decide to go prone and crawl over the hill and into some trees just past it. While in the trees one of the other guys says:
    "You don't have to be prone anymore, because your in the trees you get almost as much protection standing up as you doing lying prone in an open space."

So I get up, almost immediatly after getting up I trip and fall. The ammo pouch on the back of my mech hits a tree and explodes. I tried to escape but just as I was about to my mech explodes sending me flying directly onto the battlefield whereupon one of the enemies shoots my lifeless body full of holes.

We tried to come up with a logical explanation for how this could have happened. Our best was that a monkey threw a banana at me. This happened litterally three minutes into the game.

Sigs are fun.
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Playing with my party on D&D in 2.5 ruleset (our DM was a dinosaur and refused to play 3.0+ cause he didn't like it). Our DM originally played that any player could call a shot, but it was -4 to hit. You could call where you were aiming, so you could say "called shot to the face" If you hit he would randomly roll on a table to see what kind of damage and to where in that region you did damage. So we were escorting a huge caravan when a huge githyankie (spelling?) warparty attacked the caravan because it was carrying a sword off one of their people. They bring 2 dragons. Our elven archer does a called shot to the dragon's face before it can get within fear range thanks to his awesome range abilities. Rolls a natural 20. DM rolls on the called shot and its a 1 hit kill, arrow going into the dragons eye and doing severe brain damage. We were only a lvl 5 party. DM soon changed the rules on called shots :P

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Back in the days of second edition, my friends and I had just gotten finished helping putting down a rebellion in a major city (this campaign was losely based on revolutionary era France), and we were honored guests in the govener's palace. As the night wore on, our party retired to the guest quarters, with a couple bottles of nice wine. Just for shits and giggles. the party wizard started blowing off spells (I forget the specific mechanic now, but she was purposefully making them fizzle). The DM had the Wild Magic percentile table, and was rolling on it for each spell miscast. The wizard managed to make herself fall in love with the table (she even took it with her when we left the palace, and when it was subsequently destroyed, she rescued a single leg, and has kept that memento of her beloved ever since). Then, she enchanted the wine bottle she was drinking out of. She didn't know what she'd done, but when she knocked it off the table, it bounced.

The DM had decided that since magical items were harder to break, the bottle wouldn't shatter like normal. The wizard however, decided to keep bouncing it on the floor, and eventually it shattered. We then discovered what the wizard had inadverntantly done: created a bottle of endless wine. When she broke it, that left an uncontained portal to the demi-plane of alcoholic beverages in the middle of our guest room.

Three barrels, six destroy waters, one fireball, and a LOT of mops later, wer were no longer quite so welcome in the govenor's palace.

Origin ID: Null_Cypher
    Thomas-Vail.png
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Back in the days of second edition, my friends and I had just gotten finished helping putting down a rebellion in a major city (this campaign was losely based on revolutionary era France), and we were honored guests in the govener's palace. As the night wore on, our party retired to the guest quarters, with a couple bottles of nice wine. Just for shits and giggles. the party wizard started blowing off spells (I forget the specific mechanic now, but she was purposefully making them fizzle). The DM had the Wild Magic percentile table, and was rolling on it for each spell miscast. The wizard managed to make herself fall in love with the table (she even took it with her when we left the palace, and when it was subsequently destroyed, she rescued a single leg, and has kept that memento of her beloved ever since). Then, she enchanted the wine bottle she was drinking out of. She didn't know what she'd done, but when she knocked it off the table, it bounced.

The DM had decided that since magical items were harder to break, the bottle wouldn't shatter like normal. The wizard however, decided to keep bouncing it on the floor, and eventually it shattered. We then discovered what the wizard had inadverntantly done: created a bottle of endless wine. When she broke it, that left an uncontained portal to the demi-plane of alcoholic beverages in the middle of our guest room.

Three barrels, six destroy waters, one fireball, and a LOT of mops later, wer were no longer quite so welcome in the govenor's palace.

<3

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    The one and only Chartmaster campaign I played in and killed off the same day (Chartmaster is an affectionate term for the game Rolemaster).

A friend in my gaming group wanted to try his hand at DM'ing and chose to run a Rolemaster campaign for us. Never having played it, I was willing to give it a go. We spend a couple hours of the first game just making characters because Rolemaster is just stupidly overcomplicated (and a number of us weren't too familiar with the rules).

Characters done, we set out. Now my guy was this weird sort of caster guy who could (eventually) summon things from other dimensions, travel to other dimensions, and the like. But following RPG tradition I was a level 1 caster and basiclly a useless gimp. Well I did have one offensive spell, light bolt I believe it was called. It was the weakest offensive spell in the game though.

We accomplish some "get the plot going" stuff and we're away. Well we wind up in this place and encounter a huge demon. Running wasn't an option so I switched to my fight reflex. I figured we were toast, and heck, a damp match had more firepower than my character. But I was going to go down fighting.

Brief interlude to explain combat in Rolemaster. You roll a 20 sided die to determine a hit. Rolling high is good. Rolling a 20 means you get a critical hit. If you get a critical hit, then you move on to the critical hit charts to determine the degree of critical hit you achieve. The gem in Rolemaster and Spacemaster are the critical hit charts. The descriptions of the various crits is pretty damn funny depending on the type of damage done.

Back to the story. So I fire off my crappy light bolt spell as I prepare to spend another two hours making a new character. I roll a 20. Whee, so now I get to roll on the crit chart. I roll another 20. This means I get to move on to the next crit chart (they go in quite deep). Next roll was high, but not another 20. However this was suficient to completely vaporize the demon. And our DM, in an attempt to be fair, allows this to happen. Though as it turns out, we weren't supposed to fight this demon (though with me there, you'd think he'd have known better, I was never one to waste words when there were butts to be kicked). He never ran his rolemaster campaign again though.

Well probably not the best of stories, but it's what I got.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    One of my characters in the Robotech RPG(first gen) my crew used to run was a martial artist in addition to the nearly requisite mecha pilot OCC. He eventually developed the somewhat grisly habit of taking trophies off his defeated enemy. His favorite was a set of nunchuks he made out of a pair of Zentraedi leg bones. Carrying it cost me about a fourth of my missle load but it was worth it whenever we got into melee range.

This happened quite often in my case. Our DM had a fetish for caves. Asteroids, comets, moons, planets...anything that could have a cave invariably would, and any cave that could have a sizable force of zentraedi scouts waiting happily unaware around the next corner invariably did.

Later generations would see me upgradeing the melee capabilities of any mech I was given once I had the rank to request modifications. My favorite was the Beta VT I had modified to change the wings into CADs (vibroblades). It worked well, not only because of the cave fetish I mentioned earlier but because he believed that Invid would also prefer going hand to claw rather then sitting back at range launching beams and missles.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    AD&D 2nd edition.

I was playing a dual-class Figher/Ceric (of War) character who usually wielded two scimitars (they were the symbol of his god, and this was before I knew who Drizzt was, I swear!). However, the party was travelling on horseback, and we were attacked by some giants.

After a tough fight, we rout the giants, and the two left are running. Being a cleric of war, I decide to run them down from behind with a spear I had.

After a critical fumble, and a missed Dex check, I manage to get up to the giant, then stab the spear into the ground at charge speeds (on the horse), and promptly polevault myself face-first into the ground. The giant, took enough time to turn around and pound my head into the ground with his club, then kept running.

I lived, but it was close. Never leave the party :D

steam_sig.png
  • MilkmanMilkman Registered User
    edited April 2005
    1 ed Mage. This was at the end of an all nighter session, and we were apparently supposed to be captured for the cliffhanger for next sesison.
    We had just beat down the bad guys, and we needed a ride home, since our car was now scrap. We decided to hail a cab, which turned out to be a bad move. We climb in, the cabby takes off.
    Storyteller: "You hear some strange noises form the front seat of the cab."
    Us: "crap. initiative *roll*"
    Storyteller: "*roll* You lose" "As you fumble towards your weapons, the cabby's head turns around, his eyes glowing a sickly green. He takes a deep breath, and *roll* his head explodes."
    Us: "bwah?"
    The best part about the whole thing was that the story teller missed not a single beat. He said it as if it were exactly what he had planned. He showed us the roll, five ones. Ouch. We then had to figure out how to get into the front seat and take control of the speeding cab, then we had to deal with the very Pulp Fiction situation we were in.
    That one wasa a story we talked about for a long time afterwards.

Another one happened two weeks later, playing Vampire. We had invited another player who was not part of our regular group. Apparantly, his favorite thing to do was the seduction sequence, at which he was horrible. The first step was to give a pick up line. He rolls for success, and botches. Without blinking an eye, he delivers the line "Baby, you make me want to masturbate." The intended victim rolls for a snappy comback, and botches as well. She replies "Yeah, me too." The rest of us die laughing while they make their way to the dance floor.

don't want one
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2005
    So I tried my first hand at DMing the other day. And lo and behond I forgot to ask what their character where. My adventure started smack dab in the center of the continent, the High Temple City of Hinerous. The lead of this town and the church of Hinerous had asked the three adventures to do a task that several small adventuring parties had seem to fallen victim to. They mentioned that in their home town, they would always meditate and pray before going to battle and asked the High Priest to have a prayer session with them. He agreeded after using a discourn lies spell to tell they where telling the truth. While the Head Priest was deep, I mean like I even said "He seems to be staring into the heavens through his prayer book and even through the cealing"

Yep they snuck up and Coupe De Grace'd the level 18 Cleric. Turns out they where all followers of Hextor, a Cleric, a Fighter, and a Sorceror. Yeah...I'd rather just play.

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    My group is starting to wind down our current campaign. I'm thinking about DMing our next one with a focus on puzzles (I'll be including at least one based on cryptography, specifically the dreaded rot13 :winky:) and combat over role-playing. We'll probably be switching from 3E to 3.5, as well. Would the sound of that and my idea of having the PCs roll up their characters at third level be entirely overwhelming for a first time DM?

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User
    edited May 2005
    So a while ago, there was a game of forum D&D going on here. I was playing as a half-elf cleric, and we started off in your quintessential tavern. I try the half-elf barmaid for some information, and get a slightly provocative rejection. Anyway, we intimidate the mercs in the room for some info and we're about to go do our various things about the town. As we're leaving, the barmaid invites me to bed (ARE THERE ANY CHICKS IN THE ROOM? IF THERE ARE ANY CHICKS, I DO THEM!). Just to make the rest of the team jealous, I agree (I did penance later, shut up). As we're walking away, the theif of our team yells "Boy, I sure hope that genital condition of Mace's clears up. They can't heal those warts away you know." I was a little peeved at this (Ok, I was laughing my ass). I decide to cast command on the theif, and I manage to beat the elf theif's dexterity score. Then, to my chagrin, he makes his will save somehow. So she hears him (that was Moriveth by the way) and still goes to bed with me anyway, but it was still fun as hell.

Then Pony went incommunicado.

• WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    So me and my group were doing old school, Temple of Elemental Evil, 1st edition (god knows why). We finish off the guardhouse with minimal casualties and one-rounding the giant crawfish. We capture the priestess at the end, and she somehow manages to bluff us into not killing her and actually believing she was a prisoner. All the time I'm telling the group to bash her head in, but they don't listen, apparently black robes + powerful magical items of destruction = good guy.

We're outside in the swamp and surprise surprise, she makes a run for it. We follow her into a bog, and then she manages to knock us out one by one. Fortunely several lucky crits later, she's dead and victory is ours.

Magical full plate, woot! Now, what to do with this body.. hmm.. we are very hungry and getting tired of rations, also while she IS dead, her body is still a sexy 18 charisma elf....

Long story short, we nicknamed ourselves the Cannibalistic Necrophiliacs after that encounter.

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User
    edited May 2005
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
  • poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User
    edited May 2005
    About two years and some change ago I was playing Legend of the Five Rings with some friends (The paper and pencil). Well our GM didn't want to GM cause he said it got boring and he'd rather just play as a character. Since no one else offered to and I had (I thought) played long enough to have a decent idea of how to GM so I offered to. It goes great. Like really really fucking good. They ask me to do it again next session, so I decide to. Now I had found an old story in one of the books (Probably the Phoenix book) about the Jade Champion, which was basically the champion of magic before he got corrupted or something and the post was eliminated. Since I love all the magic and stuff I decide for the quest I'll bring him back, but then have him get assasinated or something like that. I'm describing the magic battles and such, they go well but of course it's a tournament with a lot of battles so ofcourse I start to run out of descriptions. Well I get to near the last battle and I have one of the guys create "A big burning ball of black," cue the laughter. But after it all died down the normal GM chimes in that there's actually a spell like that, but they didn't let me GM again for a long time. Anyways what I like about the story is that they've no brought back the Jade Champion in the card game.

I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Head$hotHead$hot Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Yesterday, I was playing 40k with my girlfriend. She has an Ork army, I was Daemonhunters. For those of you not familiar with the game, Orks are basically orcs in space, and Daemonhunters are like cooler looking Space Marines with an emphasis on close-quarters combat. I had 2 groups of Grey Knights, a Grey Knight Terminator Squad, and a Grey Knight Hero with Retinue. I don't know the names of the Ork units, but she had an assload of them. The ratio of my guys to his was about 1:10. She gets them really cheap for working at one of those model stores, so this is maybe 1/4 of her army.

We were playing with two big open areas separated by a canyone with a bridge over it. First round, her orks got in their trucks (trukks, whatever) and got all the way over the fucking bridge. I had all my units rush in on the first assault turn. Apparently I was getting lucky that day, because I lost at most 1/4 of my guys, and I almost completely wiped out her army. Oh man, Terminators rock SO hard.

• MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    So a while ago, there was a game of forum D&D going on here. I was playing as a half-elf cleric, and we started off in your quintessential tavern. I try the half-elf barmaid for some information, and get a slightly provocative rejection. Anyway, we intimidate the mercs in the room for some info and we're about to go do our various things about the town. As we're leaving, the barmaid invites me to bed (ARE THERE ANY CHICKS IN THE ROOM? IF THERE ARE ANY CHICKS, I DO THEM!). Just to make the rest of the team jealous, I agree (I did penance later, shut up). As we're walking away, the theif of our team yells "Boy, I sure hope that genital condition of Mace's clears up. They can't heal those warts away you know." I was a little peeved at this (Ok, I was laughing my ass). I decide to cast command on the theif, and I manage to beat the elf theif's dexterity score. Then, to my chagrin, he makes his will save somehow. So she hears him (that was Moriveth by the way) and still goes to bed with me anyway, but it was still fun as hell.

Then Pony went incommunicado.

I wasn't an elf. :-/

But yes, that was fucking awesome.