As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

my vexels

p00pstr34ksp00pstr34ks Registered User new member
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
i've been vexeling for a little over a year. here is one of them.

And_you_were_all_yellow___by_p00pstr34ks.jpg

done in photoshop.

just thought i'd share! C&C always appreciated!

p00pstr34ks on

• Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Larger please, larger.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Soooooo, you traced this?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "A vexel is a style of digital art that uses block shapes of color to create an image.

Vexels can be created in various methods but the overall process is to stack shapes of a certain shape and color to create a whole image. Vexels can be closely traced from a photograph, drawn from scratch or based loosely on another picture. They can also be of anything at all - most commonly you will see vexels of people but they are not limited to that at all.
    You can achieve very different styles of vexels by the number of shapes you use. Very few shapes will give you a simple stylized look and using many shapes will give a more realistic look."

p00pstr34ks on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You didn't answer my question. I'll take that as a "Yes, I traced this picture".

EDIT:

I went to the page where you got that pragraph explaining what what a Vexel is, I think it's the funniest page ever.
    Vector is a type of art, it doesn't have to look like anything in particular.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I doubt it's a trace because the shoulders are totally fucked. The eyes are great though ... also I have never heard of vexelling in my life but if it is block shapes of colour then how is your gradient based image a vexel?

Lly on
  • Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And why is that so funny?

galen on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nah thats just how her shoulders are.

link

I like the colors though.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    gradient based vexels are considered vexels if you can clearly see the shapes. mine is almost on the fence of not being a vexel. but there are plenty of places where you can see the shapes so it's still a vexel. :)

and yes, it was traced from the original image.

p00pstr34ks on
  • Options
    EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why is it so important that it's a wexel?

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You seem pretty adamant that this is a vexel. Are you sure it's a vexel? are you lying to us?

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I still have no clue what the hell a vexel is.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexel

Ah, I see. Vexel = Vector + Pixel. Basically you're painting something in pixel format to look like its vector based... It's like colorful tracing.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    O___o i was just trying to explain what it is

p00pstr34ks on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    untitledig9.png

Estilo on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so a priest, a rabbi, and a vexel walk into a bar

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    EntrY wrote: »
    Why is it so important that it's a wexel?

I was thinking the same thing...

Though, asside from the nebulous but aparently rigid technique involved, I think its an alright image. Though, I always like actually drawn stuff better than traced just on principle. (this is traced, right?)

Greatnation on
  • Options
    SamyazaSamyaza Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Straight off Wikipedia:
    The popularity of vexels stems from the fact that traced vexel requires no drawing ability to create good-looking images.

EDIT: Heh... hypocrisy... My avatar is a "vexel" I think I'll go draw something for reals.

Samyaza on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You're mom's an F'n tracer!

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

I'll trace an outline around your cold, dead body!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The popularity of vexels stems from the fact that traced vexel requires no drawing ability to create good-looking images.
    Wow so much for wikipedia's "non-biased" articles.

Sure, you could argue it requires "no skill", but whether you want to believe it or not, it actually does ;) Also, is it possible to create "vexels" without using a photo to trace from? What if you just reference it? What if you make it up completely? Does that require no skill? Even outright tracing requires some amount of skill, because the computer won't be able to give you a 100% realistic/smooth image if you don't know even a little about things like colour/light etc... even if you use the colour picker! For reals!

And, oh... yeah... Your face is a tracer! (or other such joke pertaining to the discussion at hand).

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I learned from Mythbusters they don't actually do that at a crime scene.

SCIENCE!

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

SCIENCE!

Where do they do it then?

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    edited June 2007

SCIENCE!

Where do they do it then?

Uh, nowhere.

core tactic on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited June 2007

Uh, nowhere.

Is it something they used to do; or was it always just a cinematic device to avoid showing a dead body?

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I was around a crime scene before (an owner of a local diner got gunned down in the parking lot) and there was no tracing of his dead body. Maybe they used to do that before forensic photography was commonplace, or something.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I guess they did it some time, but maybe they were not doing it alot, and it went out of "fashion" pretty quick, but was picked up by hollywood because it's such a strong symbol/image?

Anyways, I'd still like to know why it is so important whether an image is a vexel or not? Why are there "rules"? Is it an olympic disciplin?

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I guess they did it some time, but maybe they were not doing it alot, and it went out of "fashion" pretty quick, but was picked up by hollywood because it's such a strong symbol/image?

Anyways, I'd still like to know why it is so important whether an image is a vexel or not? Why are there "rules"? Is it an olympic disciplin?

He's trying to strain the point that it's not just him tracing an image. And it's not, really, it does require the smallest amount of creativity.

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's basically a gradient-less vector, and I'll just assume it uses brushes or something and not vectors, but he used gradients because he wanted to. It's really not that odd, people do it all the time with vectors and without tracing or calling it a vexel.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    flyingmonkeyflyingmonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Estilo wrote: »
    untitledig9.png

"Excuse me, I'm looking for the nuclear wessels."

Cinema classic.

flyingmonkey on
    3. And quit this emo-slumming shit. Fuck.