As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man vs. Wild: Oh no, he didn't

lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Social Entropy++
This thread is for pretty much the best show on tv right now, Man vs. Wild. It airs on Discovery Channel, episodes get replayed a lot, and new episodes air fridays at 8.

Its basically about a hot british dude who gets dropped off on a remote location, armed only with a knife and fishhooks (and a camera crew) and must find his way back to civilization, giving you helpful tips on how to survive if you're ever in that situation. A few of the better episodes form last season were the Deserted island and the African Desert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Vs._Wild

topless.jpg

Highlight Reel, to give you a general idea of what he's about

Things he has eaten that were raw:
Zebra Corpse
Snake
Fish
Maggots

So what did you guys think of the latest episode, where he gets dropped off in the Florida Everglades?

I liked when he showed you how to escape from the sink hole. Also, I love when he tells stories of people who were in similar situations, and survived horrible things. Its kinda like he's mocking them.

Or tell us of a time when you had to survive by your wits and survival instincts.

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
lostwords on

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I once used a 15 foot tall piece of thick bamboo shoot to lift msyelf back up out of a pit of quicksand near the Gulf of Mexico.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Bear could kick Survivorman's ass.

Survivorman got dropped in like Alaska, with a "crashed" plane and a "broken" arm. Using one arm, he tried to make a shelter out of snow, couldn't, and quit like a pussy, ignoring the fucking plane behind me.

Bear would've been like "I can kill that deer, and climb inside of it to stay warm!"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Let's hurry up and start arguing about Survivorman and Man vs Wild already.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was beat.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    One time I ate my way out of the belly of a great white whale.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    I once used a 15 foot tall piece of thick bamboo shoot to lift msyelf back up out of a pit of quicksand near the Gulf of Mexico.

Dude, thats exactly what he taught. Spread the weight distribution using the stick and lift yourself out. Then he told a story of a guy who didn't know what he was doing and spent three days in quicksand.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    One time I ate my way out of the belly of a great white whale.

Chestburster.gif

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Dude, thats exactly what he taught. Spread the weight distribution using the stick and lift yourself out. Then he told a story of a guy who didn't know what he was doing and spent three days in quicksand.

I was lucky that I'd been carrying the damn thing around with me after I found it as the quicksand was on this sand bar that was littered with fish & dolphin skeletons and had no vegetation on it.

Weaver on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was watching the Man Vs. Wild Marathon yesterday.

My favorite parts were when he was in the rockies, and he got to a cliff that was 70 feet or so above a river, and decided to jump in, then decided to go white water rafting using his backpack.

Also when he was on a Glacier, and jumped into a crevasse to show how to survive it, then jumped into freezing water to show how to survive that.

Also when he killed a snake with a rock and a stick, then made dinner with it.

Khavall on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ew, that sounds not pleasant, what with all the fishy skeletons.

Etch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Etch wrote: »
    Ew, that sounds not pleasant, what with all the fishy skeletons.

Chucking a dolphin skull as far as you can throw it just feels weird.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Pfff, my grandma used to go around the hills around her property, flip over larger rocks, and use sticks to bash in rattlesnakes. She was awesome.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've never seen quicksand

I have a really weird desire to find some and get caught in it so I can get out.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    This other time I held my breath for seven years after I ejected myself into space because I had initiated the self-destruct sequence on an enemy starship.

I was picked up by a Shi'ar Harvester before I could breathe again. I did a few calisthenics to get the blood flow into my extremities and then crept through the exhaust system using a piece of heat shield I tore loose to protect me from the proton blasts that came through every time it accelerated. Eventually I found myself in the captain's quarters where I snapped his neck while he slept, skinned him to fashion a suit of his hide to conceal my identity, and then I tore his eyeballs out to activate the retinal scanners to grant me access to the bridge. Once there I crash-landed the freighter onto a nearby planet where I knew there was a federation base.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The best part of the Rockies episode is him waking up in the middle of the night, going "What was that?" and then coming back and going "I think there's a bear, we need to leave NOW."

And then they're running down a fucking mountain in the dark.

Alternately, hand-fishing in a pool, then eating the fish raw.

Survivorman would've gotten eaten by the bear.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    bear grylls

:3

bongi on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I have a really weird desire to find some and get caught in it so I can get out.

I was walking along and it looks like just normal sand with about maybe an inch-deep puddle of water over it and I stepped into it and went straight down to my thighs and then started sinking at a slower rate. And it stunk like sewage because it was all this decompossing seaweed and animal matter that had been mixed in over time. I shoved the bamboo all the way down into it after I got out and it was at least 11 feet deep.

Weaver on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I had to live without cable for a while. That was pretty rough.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bear is pretty hot

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    I had to live without cable for a while. That was pretty rough.

Ouch.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007

we were playing around with it on a biology trip once

it was like a patch about a metre across and when you stepped in it you sunk to your waist pretty much instantly

there was some kind of current running through it, it was so fucking cold

it took a couple of people to pull you out of it, the teacher made me jump in because of my hairy legs (it sticks to your hairy legs like crazy, the girls were using it to check how they'd shaved), and then when i emerged it was completely caked to my legs

twam: yes

bongi on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The first time someone told me about this show, I thought they said his name was Bear Griddles.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    But the best show on TV right now is actually Rescue Me.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The first time someone told me about this show, I thought they said his name was Bear Griddles.
    you told this anecdote the last time we had this thread and I laughed really hard but now you're just recycling material

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    you told this anecdote the last time we had this thread and I laughed really hard but now you're just recycling material

You said that last time.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    bongi wrote: »

we were playing around with it on a biology trip once

it was like a patch about a metre across and when you stepped in it you sunk to your waist pretty much instantly

there was some kind of current running through it, it was so fucking cold

it took a couple of people to pull you out of it, the teacher made me jump in because of my hairy legs (it sticks to your hairy legs like crazy, the girls were using it to check how they'd shaved), and then when i emerged it was completely caked to my legs

twam: yes

Dude that is fucking awesome.

Also, Bear is ridiculously hot for a Brit.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Honestly, if Bear showed up at my house and was like "Let me fuck you in da butt," I would be naked in a minute.

You hear me? I'd be gay for Bear.

Because then maybe some of his awesome would rub off on me.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    all brits are hot

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    all brits are hot

GIS for British Dude

07teeth.1902.jpg

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    all brits are hot

mr%20bean%20big.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Honestly, if Bear showed up at my house and was like "Let me fuck you in da butt," I would be naked in a minute.

Aren't you worried your mom would get cancer from it?

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    all brits are hot

image002.jpg

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    all brits are hot

mr%20bean%20big.jpg

Shane_macgowans_teeth-vi.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »

maybe if you let him blow a load in your mouth and swallowed it you'd absorb some of his dna and become as awesome as him

maybe

bongi on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    all brits are hot

mr%20bean%20big.jpg

Shane_macgowans_teeth-vi.jpg

blackadder3_1.jpg

bongi on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    blackadder3_1.jpg
    I'D HIT IT

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    h_prince.jpg

bongi on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    yes oh god

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    disorientating.

Also, he ate a fucking turtle and a frog. D:

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I liked the episode where he found a decent size stick/small branch, and debarked it and smoothed it down. He practiced for a bit throwing it at an old rotten tree stump unti be became pretty decent.

The next scene is him and the camera guy crawling through like 8inch tall grass, and in the shot they highlight this little rabbit about 20 yards off. Once he gets close enough, he chucks his stick wicked hard and tags the bunny in the head with a nice "THUMP".

Then it shows him skinning and gutting it, impailing it on a stick, and cooking it rotissery style over a fire.

Was glorious

X5 on
    TheX5.png