As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

日本 / Japan

• Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Also note that the JR Train is one of the most efficent trains I have seen. Freakign GO trains in Canada can't even compare.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    sarukun wrote: »
    halkun wrote: »
    Japan

Jesus Christ, where the hell did you live?

I led an awfully peaceful existance for two years in my town, I never had a police officer whip his damn baton out on me.

It wasn't where I lived, it was my behavior.

You have to understand, I was much younger then I am now. Before I stepped off that plane, I had been watching Anime religiously since 1987 (it was 1992 when I went there.) I honestly thought it was the land of Bubblegum Crisis and Dragonball Z. Now imagine all this nerd obsession, that had been seething for five years before that first step off the jetway. Imagine here is this blinded American anti-social geek, who, for the first time saw a manga store.

And there was a *JAPANESE GIRL* she was *WORKING IN A MANGA STORE*.

She MUST of loved anime, just like me, I thought. I went up to her and tried to show her the anime in my bag (All copied VHS tapes). I tried to ask if they had a VCR so we could watch it with REAL ENGLISH SUBTITLES!

In short, I made a perfect ass out of myself, and got thrown out by the manager. No doubt the police were also called...

There is a happy(?) ending to this story for those who love pain. About three weeks later I was pretty much balled in the corner of my room sobbing as reality pissed on all of my dreams. Here I felt bad because I was an outsider in the states and thought that once I would get to Japan I would be accepted.

Yea, I actually thought that.

After three months, I got the hang of the place. A year in, and I decided to make it home for another three years.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am sorry halkun but thats funny. I mean yeah I like Anime but trying to show VHS to that poor girl and stuff really made me laugh.

I mean I might be called a fantic of Anime/Manga, but I know where to draw the boundries.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I think I actually like Katchem_ash now

He's a pretty cool dude

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I mean when I went to Akihabara, Yeah I was excited, but I didn't try to get the workers there to make me show them stuff. I went looking around they came up and I asked a couple of questions in english and pointing and they gave me the required items.

Thats the extent of my conversation. They might talk to me telling they like the model and if I collect them in broken english, which I admired them for at least trying and we would have a few minute conversation before I left and went on to another store. But I never forced them or made them uncomfortable to talk to me.

My experiences were different because I came as a part tourist and part Anime/Manga admirer and not the full blown Otaku, which I guess was the difference. That and people seemed genuvinely nice which made me fall in love with Japan.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My adivce is to go as a tourist to Japan. Understand that yes, you will see boys to senior men, from girls to senior women reading Manga magazines, and yes you love Manga and anime but they are not fanatical like many otaku I see here. I have a couple from friends who I would never take to japan because thier experience would be exactly like halkun and they would embarass me.

Its a part of the life there and there are extremes from both directions but they aren't as crazy as many otaku are here. Understand that, enjoy more sights other than Akihabara and vist the many other places that are equally or more interesting.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yea, I'm not as bad as I used to be. I "got out of Anime" around 2001, and moved into general Japanese media. It's one of the reasons why I got my business degree. The fandom switched to 2D drawings to 3D people. Don't let the Ayumi Hamasaki avatar fool you. I am in love with the company she works for, and adore her as a businesswoman. I love that stuff you never see on stage and makes the wheels actually go.

That's what makes her awesomesause.

halkun on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Doesn't make the fact that your username has 'kun' in it any better.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The two times I went to Japan it was with a school trip. We actually had quite a bit of freedom and we even smoked and drank when we were there thanks to vending machines. Still, I'd like to go there completely on my own now that I'm older and do whatever I want. In my experience, people weren't total jerkasses to foreigners and at worst, they just minded their own business (which is perfectly fine with me). I think in some cases, it's better to be an American than in other cases. For instance, I think it's better to be an American musician in Japan than, say, an anime fan. One Japanese guitar player I talked to was completely in awe that I had a Gibson (And yes, I know why this is). I think it'd be really cool to go to Tokyo and play guitar with people. Maybe it's a shitty scene, maybe it isn't. I'd still like to try it out.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • Options
    edited June 2007

habit.

It stuck after 15 years. I'm just not creative to come up with something better for "Hal Nicholas"

halkun on
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am sorry halkun but thats funny. I mean yeah I like Anime but trying to show VHS to that poor girl and stuff really made me laugh.

I mean I might be called a fantic of Anime/Manga, but I know where to draw the boundries.

The boundaries apparently start after hentai

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    guitar

Dude, I hear that the Japanese are crazy metal-heads. As far as I know, Metal is still really popular there, especially bands like Symphony X, and Dream Theatre. (my favourites! :P)

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Japan

Jesus Christ, where the hell did you live?

I led an awfully peaceful existance for two years in my town, I never had a police officer whip his damn baton out on me.

It wasn't where I lived, it was my behavior.

You have to understand, I was much younger then I am now. Before I stepped off that plane, I had been watching Anime religiously since 1987 (it was 1992 when I went there.) I honestly thought it was the land of Bubblegum Crisis and Dragonball Z. Now imagine all this nerd obsession, that had been seething for five years before that first step off the jetway. Imagine here is this blinded American anti-social geek, who, for the first time saw a manga store.

And there was a *JAPANESE GIRL* she was *WORKING IN A MANGA STORE*.

She MUST of loved anime, just like me, I thought. I went up to her and tried to show her the anime in my bag (All copied VHS tapes). I tried to ask if they had a VCR so we could watch it with REAL ENGLISH SUBTITLES!

In short, I made a perfect ass out of myself, and got thrown out by the manager. No doubt the police were also called...

There is a happy(?) ending to this story for those who love pain. About three weeks later I was pretty much balled in the corner of my room sobbing as reality pissed on all of my dreams. Here I felt bad because I was an outsider in the states and thought that once I would get to Japan I would be accepted.

Yea, I actually thought that.

After three months, I got the hang of the place. A year in, and I decided to make it home for another three years.

Okay, I get you.

I'm glad your response to your life challenge was so positive.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

You want to fight?

I think we should fight now.

sarukun on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I said it before and I'll say it again.

Culture shock is a glorious thing.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I didn't have any culture shock when I moved to Japan.

People kept asking me if it was hard to adjust and what things were so totally different than life back home and if I was homesick

and I was like "This is exactly the same shit except my vocabulary is a little smaller and the food is healthier."

sarukun on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah but you aren't some white devil moving into a totally new hemisphere.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Well, not white, no.

sarukun on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've bounced from country to country so many times... you don't think I had some culture shock moving to the States?

Simply put, you learn to love it. It really is such a fantastic experience.

I don't even mean just VISITING a place. I mean MOVING there, to LIVE.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Come move to Iowa, Viv.

I can guarantee you that it's probably the least Shanghai-like place you'll have ever been to.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I really want to go to Shanghai for your birthday, Viv

but I don't know if I can afford it and also I don't know if I have enough money to buy a ticket and rent a hotel.

Edit: I could probably totally go next year, though.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Dude. If you can make it mid-December, Butler will be here. You should at least try to come for a couple days and we can have a ShaPAX.

Plus, if you were to come, I would get you a place to stay. Sheesh. You act like I wouldn't even TRY taking care of you. Especially by December, as I will have moved into an apt with a couch by then.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    okay cool viv ill come stay with you then

shit new shiina ringo album out
    dl dl

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Dude. If you can make it mid-December, Butler will be here. You should at least try to come for a couple days and we can have a ShaPAX.

Plus, if you were to come, I would get you a place to stay. Sheesh. You act like I wouldn't even TRY taking care of you. Especially by December, as I will have moved into an apt with a couch by then.

I would feel like a huge dickweed if I foisted travel arrangements and trying to find me free lodging on you like that, though.

December sounds pretty nice though. I mean, I do like Butler.

And I should have a job and therefore money again.

I will see what happens.

sarukun on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I told you once and I told you twice
    Ja-pa-nese eat lots of rice
    You can be my ass-is-tant
    I could be your det-ri-ment

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

You want to fight?

haha
    Nah, yours is okay because it's an animal and not your name
    Unless there's something beyond the monkey avatar.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    MoriartyMoriarty __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    how come japanese is just a bunch of question marks

Moriarty on
    will suck dick for shock images and videos
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Because even they don't know what the fuck they're saying

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ash seems kinda like the anime version of scarlet

what do you think

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I like to think I type and spell better than he does, at any rate.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    He's definitely more consistent than I am.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    at any rate

what's that even mean

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's a turn of phrase

Which is also a turn of phrase, come to think of it.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    hey guys welcome to nippon

?????????????

Moriarty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i hate turns of phrases

which is why i hate wheel of fortune

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    nippwn

Moriarty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nippon is the dumbest spelling of anything

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nippoff

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never knew you could have fun reading about cruel culture clash experiences. I want to go urup instead.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

You want to fight?

haha
    Nah, yours is okay because it's an animal and not your name
    Unless there's something beyond the monkey avatar.

Nah.

Interestingly, none of the numerous Japanese people have ever called me anything-kun.

I think my name is too long and important sounding in Japanese to put anything less than san on it.

Or maybe they were never really my friends.

sarukun on