Options

Hamsters and Rats.. oh my?

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
On a whim I decided to let a hamster run around on my bed with my two rats.

I expected them to start fighting immediately (and was prepared to stop it) but instead they just sniffed each other and went around.

I figured maybe it was the wide-openess so I put them in a cage together.

They've been in there for 10 minutes now and besides a few surprised jumps from either side, they seem to be doing ok.

Is this common? I really needed to cut down on cage space, so if these 3 can hang it'll be pretty awesome.

Magus` on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno about common, but I've let my hamsters play with my friend's rats on more than one occasion and they're perfectly okay.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Is the cage large enough for 3 critters?

_J_ on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, by the way, what kind of hamsters are they?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Evil GummyEvil Gummy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think you're playing with fire, here.

One, hamsters and rats have very separate eating needs (rats are omni's hamsters herbi's), keeping their diet correct in the same cage will be a hastle.

Two, cages for rats (correct cages) are often too big as far as bar space goes, a hamster would probably squeeze free.

Three, depending on the hamster breed, they are solitary creatures and very dominant and often aggresive, it is probably stressing out one if not both parties to be coexisting like that.

I mean, look at it this way. The benefits to keeping them together (cage space for you?) versus the downsides (possible sickness and or injuries, hell even just DEATH.) It isn't worth the risk.

Separate them, I say.

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, also, cause I wanted the hamster to have a friend. His buddy died (in the pet store) which is why I bought him.

And teddy bear hamster.

Magus` on
  • Options
    AnarchiaAnarchia Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, it's possible the hamster might not be having troubles because the other things aren't hamsters, but I'd definitely keep an eye on things. Me and my sister had hamsters when we were younger, and after living together in the same cage for a few weeks the two started getting into horrible fights and we had to seperate them.

Anarchia on
    SteamID : LizWiz
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I missed the bit in the OP where you said you wanted to keep them together. Yeah, I think it would be better to keep them housed separately. Teddy bear hamsters tend to do best either solitary or in pairs, they don't do well in groups and can become territorial. Rats may see the hamster as a rival or even as prey and try to kill it. So my first instinct is to say "Don't do it!"

Just because they get along on your bed doesn't mean they'll get along in their cage. Think of it this way - just because you get along fine with your classmates/coworkers doesn't mean you'd get along with them if you had to share a bedroom with them. It's the same way with animals. Once they're sharing a sleeping space and food all kinds of hell can break loose.

By the way, Evil Gummy, hamsters are not herbivores. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. And actually rats and hamsters have very similar dietary needs. Your primary food source for both animals really should be pellets, which are often exactly the same for both hamsters and rats. (I use Kaytee Fortidiet which is sold for both animals.) Hamsters are particularly sensitive to foods containing sugar (including corn and sweetened yogurt like those Yogie treats they sell in pet stores) but you shouldn't be giving those to your rat anyway. Tomato is also toxic to hamsters but not to rats. Other than that, both animals should be eating pellets, small amounts of nuts and seeds, and small amounts of fresh veggies. Bedding should be the same, too: unbleached undyed paper products (Yesterday's News is a good brand). I'm telling you this not to convince you to put them together, but to make sure you're buying the right supplies for both.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Actually Feral, while I agree that a good lab block should be the staple of the diet, kayti contains ethoxyquin, a cancer causing preservative, plus it's almost all corn filler anyway which is hardly good for rats or hamsters.

As or the hamster herbivore thing, I'm certainly no expert on the critters as far as diet goes, I was always the one with the pet rats hehe. I read they were mainly herbivorous, but apparently they might eat bugs and such as well! Who knew?

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Evil Gummy wrote: »
    kayti contains ethoxyquin, a cancer causing preservative, plus it's almost all corn filler anyway which is hardly good for rats or hamsters.

Good points. What do you use for your rats?

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    www.harlan.com

Product - #8604 Rodent Diet (soy-based)

But also, cause rats are god damn cute and love food, I also added a mix of brand flakes, flax seed, puffed wheat and rice, and lots of veggies. They got spoiled though, always begging me for left overs, and gosh, I gave in to those faces. :(

Plus watching them eat spaghetti is <3

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg