As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, I'm really, really bored

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so, let me explain some things. Its summer, and I've been clawing my eyes out trying to find things to occupy my time with. I work part time, so 3-4 days a week. When I was doing this and school, I had a small-ish amount of free time, which worked well, letting me space out the things I felt like doing.

But now, I have too much free time. I can't really find any games I'm interested in playing at the moment, despite having a computer that can play anything out right now. I'm not that interested in many console or handheld games out at the moment, so games aren't that big of an option at the moment.

I've seen every movie out that I've even been half interested in seeing (New fantastic four movie, for example, despite not wanting to see it that badly). I don't really have anyone to hang out with(My best friend works full time, graveyard usually. Usually sleeping or working when I have time to hang out with him).

I don't have a car, so things to do are pretty much limited to things in my city, unless I want to spend the money to go to san francisco on BART, and then, there's usually not much for me to do alone in the city.

I guess what I'm saying is, what are some things I could do, alone, in the afternoons that I don't work? Out of the house, preferably.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How about going to the gym?

Are there parks in your area? You could go walking or running, or just find a nice shady spot and read a book.

Grid System on
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Great suggestion.

Also, don't you have friends?

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've found that if I get really bored, doing something active keeps my interest. Biking, running, going to the gym, swimming, or just walking around somewhere interesting...like going on a hike or somesuch.

Learning new things is fun, too.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    have a bike?

is it nice out?

why don't you just go ride around? anywhere, really. i'm sure eventually you'll find something engaging going on, depending on where you live, i guess.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Are there parks in your area? You could go walking or running, or just find a nice shady spot and read a book.

No gym subscriptions, and I've never really been a fan of working out anyways(at least, in a traditional way).

The parks around here really aren't that great either, really dirty, tons of little kids, etc.

Also, I figure I should mention, I'm 19, and very much enjoy social activity... I just don't know where to look :P

Raslin on

• Options
    edited June 2007

Great suggestion.

Also, don't you have friends?

I do have friends, but its getting more and more difficult to see them. Lots of them work afternoons. We all party at night, hence why I mentioned afternoon things.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    have a bike?

is it nice out?

why don't you just go ride around? anywhere, really. i'm sure eventually you'll find something engaging going on, depending on where you live, i guess.

I don't have a bike anymore, though I wish I did. I used to have a good bit of fun with it.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    If you have the resources, maybe you would be interested in taking up a sport like golf or tennis. Would you be interested in that / any places where you could do that?

If your 19 and soon going to college, learning to cook might be fun / interesting / VERY USEFULL.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Try reading or getting involved with clubs or organizations in your community. It will give you the chance to meet new people and stuff to do in the mean time. The public library is usually a good place to look for events going on that you may not have heard of before.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wuck, to be honest, I'm not the biggest person on sports. Also, I'm not going to a real college for a good while, I'm living at home going to community college for the next year or two, at least.

Raslin on

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can I suggest... World of Warcraft...? Hitting 70 could take awhile. ;-)

Seriously though, maybe try something new. If you have a paticular skill use it, like, if you're good at writing then write! A short novel could be interesting to write. Drawing could be fun.

You could learn to make games too, learn Java, Flash, HTML. Maybe learn to use the more professional stuff like Maya, try modding one of your favourite games.

Edit: Working out sounds excellent too, I know that's what I'm going to start doing.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gyms usually have student specials during the summer, with, like, 3-month memberships. I really, really wish I'd started working out when I was your age.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would definitly recommend working out and reading. Improve your body and mind :)

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Can I suggest... World of Warcraft...? Hitting 70 could take awhile. ;-)

Seriously though, maybe try something new. If you have a paticular skill use it, like, if you're good at writing then write! A short novel could be interesting to write. Drawing could be fun.

You could learn to make games too, learn Java, Flash, HTML. Maybe learn to use the more professional stuff like Maya, try modding one of your favourite games.

I have two world of warcraft accounts that I've bought, and one that I'm currently paying for monthly. I just can't stand the game though, and always regret getting back into it.

I'm not nearly imaginative to write any kind of story above a page or two, I've tried a few times before. Similarly, drawing falls under the same lines, but also the fact that I'm just really bad at it.

As per making games, I have about 4.5 years experience in 3ds max, and am collaberating on the PA doomed game project. But it really doesn't take much of my time, especially if its going to be a 2d game we are working on. And its hard for me to model if I don't have a goal in mind... and sometimes, even if I do.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    How about learning to play an instrument? Maybe guitar? Are you interested it music?

I'm going to again, along with others, vouch for weight training.

Are you interested in art? Painting / Sculpting?

How about voulnteer work?

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am interested in music, being as I'm a singer(and quite a decent one if I say so myself). However, I can't wrap my head around instruments, for some reason.

I'm really not into the whole weight training idea. I never have fun doing it, I get tired really easy, its hot. Its something I just don't like to do.

I'm not really interested in art, outside of the art I already do.

Volunteer work? I already work, I don't want to do more work, for free :P

(Sorry, I'm not one of those people who feel good when doing something nice for someone else. I'm a pretty apathetic person in that sense).

Raslin on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It sounds like you don't want to actually DO anything. What do you like to do? What interests you?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Are there any projects you've been meaning to undertake and just never got around to it? My friend is making his basement a dark room (Hes a photography major). If working out isn't your thing, there are still other life enriching things I'm sure you've thought of but haven't had time to do.

I've been researching anarchy and looking for new bands in trip-hop and ambient when I have time where I'm Idle, I just found some things I was always interested in and use my extra free time to expand my knowledge of them.

Iruka on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Go out to places that relate to things you like. Meet people. The more people you know the better. Become a social monster. This will open up much more opportunities.

A mode of transportation. You may not like sports but a bike or longboard or rollerblades just anything. It's a lot of fun and it's active.

Bring a camera with you. There's always interesting things going on in life that you can capture.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    OmnimonOmnimon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you have the resources, maybe you would be interested in taking up a sport like golf or tennis. Would you be interested in that / any places where you could do that?

If your 19 and soon going to college, learning to cook might be fun / interesting / VERY USEFULL.

Barring horrendous spelling and punctuation, I agree completely. Especially since you're around the house for the next year or two and have access to a kitchen, kitchenware, and utensils without buying them. I'm 26 and can cook just about anything now, and I owe it all to learning to cook while in high school.

I know you're only 19, but if you're not big into working out and physical activity in general, learning to cook even some basics will allow you to create food you like while not shoving 3000 calories into your body per sitting.

Omnimon on
    Pokemon Diamond: 0430 5335 1641

Omnim0n.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can you bike/bart to berkeley? If so: http://www.cal-sailing.org/windsurfing/index.html

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I also have ample amounts of time, usually occupied by going to the gym or reading, so I'm good to go.

But I am very interested in learning how to cook. Where should I look for good info? I can BBQ just fine, cookin up some chicken at this very moment, but I'm looking to expand beyond the grill.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Options
    OmnimonOmnimon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ins0mniac wrote: »
    I also have ample amounts of time, usually occupied by going to the gym or reading, so I'm good to go.

But I am very interested in learning how to cook. Where should I look for good info? I can BBQ just fine, cookin up some chicken at this very moment, but I'm looking to expand beyond the grill.

I learned via watching, my Mom was a home economics (yes, that used to be a major) and English major in college, so I was always watching her, and eventually helping her.

My advice would be to look up recipes and treat them as if it's a science project, measuring properly and following steps. This will lead to you not knowing what some words are, and again you can use the magical interwebs to seeing videos of a technique being performed or what characteristics of a fruit/vegetable/meat to look for.

Eventually you will develop a taste of your own and you'll learn to alter recipes to your taste, or even to 'better' more vibrant or complex tastes. You will develop your own personal 'style' or 'styles' of cooking.

For starters, look up recipes for some of the sauces that you barbecue with. There are countless variations on every type of barbecue sauce. These sauces will be generally easy to combine and cook (some will require a boiling step to boil off water and create a more complex flavor), and you can start developing your own taste and 'feel' there.

Once you've done that a while, you're bored, and you want to get your hands on preparing actual meats, veggies, fruits, etc. then look up full recipes. You'll find yourself mixing something that you learned making one recipe into another. For example, I think tarragon in potato soup is great, and oregano is simply terrible, but most recipes call for the latter and not the former. Only because I made whipped tarragon butter for bread one evening did I try this with the soup, and it turned out to be yummy.

I would at first stay away from anything dough-related. This includes pastas, pastries, breads (obviously), etc. Soups are a great starter after the sauces, too. Feel free to PM me, I've written too much here anyway. :)

Omnimon on
    Pokemon Diamond: 0430 5335 1641

Omnim0n.png
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    there's been lots of good suggestions

that you've mostly shot down

so let me say: there's lots of stuff to do. you just don't want to do it.

resign yourself to boredom or get up and figure out something to do.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The entire point of weightlifting/excerise is to improve yourself so you don't get tired easily. I enjoy weightlifting because it gives me satisfaction that I'm improving my body, my health, increasing my limit, and making myself look better.

Running I enjoy because you get out and see the world, so what if it doesn't look super pretty, it looks different and again you get satisfaction that you've done something.

I've been running on days where the max was 43 degrees celcius and I was running in about 35, but do you know what, when you're done, if feels like you've done something.

Excersise is the most rewarding hobby there is. After a while you start looking forward to it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    there's been lots of good suggestions

that you've mostly shot down

so let me say: there's lots of stuff to do. you just don't want to do it.

resign yourself to boredom or get up and figure out something to do.

Its a problem I have. I usually don't ask questions like this unless I'm really stumped. Besides, a lot of the answers here were pretty vague. And yes, there is a lot of stuff to do that I don't want to do. I also don't want to play musical chairs, for example. But hey, I should want to do that, because its something to do.

I'm gathering ideas to try to find things that actually sound fun. Sorry if that bothers you.

Raslin on

• Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I recommend climbing trees. It is by far one of the most fun hobbies I've taken up. People think you're crazy if you're free climbing in public, and if you want to climb a big tree on private property, I recommend writing up a waiver and calling up the owner for permission.

Lately I've been going around connecticut free climbing some of our biggest trees and it's a blast. If you wanted to become really hardcore, you could invest around 1,000 dollars in sky walking/tree climbing/arboring gear and go to some national parks or forests.

Also, I've gotten so incredibly jacked since I've started to climb. It really works your entire body...if you're interested, I could talk more about safety, but I've noticed not too many people are into it cause they feel kiddie, but it's pretty much the litmus test for all of my girlfriends haha...and it's a really easy way of striking up a conversation with someone.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well, I have always enjoyed climbing things, like tree's... but I don't like tall heights, unless I'm in a plane or some-such. But yeah, I do this once in a while.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Well, I have always enjoyed climbing things, like tree's... but I don't like tall heights, unless I'm in a plane or some-such. But yeah, I do this once in a while.

You don't have to go too high, and to be honest, if you went with a rope and gear there would be little to no danger, as long as you weren't stupid and knew what you were doing.

Almost all tree climbing deaths are endured by professionals with 5+ years of experience. You want to know why? You get so comfortable that you forget to check for things like epicormic branches or poor foundations. Most of the noobies are so paranoid that they check things twice.

Also - you don't need to climb high to enjoy it. Part of the fun is figuring out the puzzle of how to get up and how to get down (which are both very different) and trying out all the fun trees.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also - start a terrarium. Awesome hobby and whatever you catch and raise is a blast to watch and learn about. I used to catch pill bugs and watch their mating cycles, test out various experimental studies online (like their reaction to light and water) and eventually moved up to omnivores such as centipedes, frogs, toads, lizards, etc.

Spiders are fun, if you're into that.

Also...see lightning bugs. I think the most humorous thing that I learned was that at night, when they're flashing outside, they are calling to mates. However, almost every lightning bug has learned 10+ blinking patterns of other types, so what they do is mimic those patterns, attract another bug looking for a partner, and then devour them.

It's rare, but it happens and it was kinda funny once I realized what was happening.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you're not one for creative writing, write your life story (to date). It's something I've thought about doing but I've always got something else urgent due. Even if you think your life has been uneventful it might be nice just to have a history of what has made you who you are. You don't have to break it down year by year, maybe just write about events that were important to you. Putting things to paper can be very therapeutic, put things into perspective, etc etc.

What I think would be good about this is that when you're 40 you can write about the last 20 years and compare them to the first 20 years of your life. Same again when you're 60. And when you're 80 you're covered should you suffer some sort of memory loss.
    Plus it's handy if you suddenly die and people didn't get to know you properly.

Speaking of which, get a will.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    happysharkhappyshark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Smoke a lot of weed. Marijuana = you'll never get bored. Everything you have will get way more fun. Plus, its summer. Go and get yourself an ounce. D:

happyshark on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    happyshark wrote: »
    Smoke a lot of weed. Marijuana = you'll never get bored. Everything you have will get way more fun. Plus, its summer. Go and get yourself an ounce. D:

I quit months ago. I'm a one hit wonder, and I get too screwed up off of even one hit. It stopped being fun, when I become non-functional every time.

Raslin on

• Options
    happysharkhappyshark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I quit months ago. I'm a one hit wonder, and I get too screwed up off of even one hit. It stopped being fun, when I become non-functional every time.

(that means your stoned and you gotta roll with it but whatever)

happyshark on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

(that means your stoned and you gotta roll with it but whatever)

(Trust me, I know plenty about being stoned. I get so high that I don't know whats happening, can't function, and don't have any fun.)

Raslin on