As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legos

• Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Dude, I know. I don't know what it was. I always put the hinged helmets on the "coolest" guys I had, i.e. those with the little plastic armor vests you could slide on, etc.

I did so much roleplaying/imagination'ing with my castle Lego.

I want to call my parents and thank them for getting me that first castle set for Christmas way back.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The dragon wings would totally fit onto the diving packs to make a winged flying pack. Red wings on black pack made for a great villain.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    i don't mean to shit on the thread with more pictures but
    Legopirateship.jpg
    that's like, my childhood right there. it almost brings tears to my eyes.

high five! I loved that set. I wanted the privateer boat set too but I never got it :(

I sorta want some of the viking sets, like the big long boat. that fort looks cool too.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    do you remember the little sharks that came with the set

tyrannus on
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When I was a kid, they didn't have Pirate and Castle and all that other shit for LEGO sets. No, we just got a huge box of assorted red, blue and yellow pieces, some wheel sets and a book of vague instructions and they basically said, "Good luck, kid!"

That being said, while I was on vacation a couple weeks ago, my wife and I spent a night in Minneapolis, and we had just enough time at the Mall of America to run in, go to the LEGO store and eat before they started shutting things down.

I picked up the Arkham Asylum LEGO set. Other than food, it's the only thing I bought on my entire trip.

I'd post pics, but I was a fucking klutz and I broke my camera.

Pkmoutl on
    edited June 2007
    I would put jets on the sharks to make them flying sharks, the terror of the skies! also, if you took the 2x1 hinges and put them on the motorcycles you get saddlebags.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    do you remember the little sharks that came with the set

yes. those sharks have eaten many a cowboy in their time

speaking of which; cowboy sets were cool.

memories

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    hi pk

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2007
    I used to have wars of LEGO vs Weebles.

The LEGO army always won, because they could dismantle anything and make a huge death ray out of it.

Weebles just kind of teetered back and forth and looked dumb.

Pkmoutl on
    edited June 2007
    hi pk

Hello, Rank my friend.

Or should that be "Hello, my rank friend"?

Pkmoutl on
    edited June 2007
    i remember like, taking the legs off the lego guys and putting them in the blue lego pad so it'd look like they were swimming. and then the shark would come and be all NOM NOM NOM. and then the pirates on the ship would laugh because they were the ones who threw him overboard.

tyrannus on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I put those dragon wings on so many things. I also loved the little 4-handed monkeys that came with the pirate sets. What little kid didn't immediately hang one from the masts/trees wielding 3 flintlock pistols?

TankHammer on
    edited June 2007
    I'm seriously low on lego heads because I made a huge stack once of them but then I somehow I lost them behind some cabinets that are attached to the wall.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    the best thing ever was taking the playmobile ambulance and setting up a giant fucking ramp out of the wooden ramp boards my dad made me, and aiming right out my open second-story window. I'd build lego dudes to drive it, since they broke apart in such satisfying horrible glory, and launch that motherfucker out the window as hard as I could.

Until I cleared the fence and landed right in the back of the neighbor's pickup as he was leaving for work one day.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2007
    Pkmoutl wrote: »
    hi pk

Hello, Rank my friend.

either works just fine

hows things? I ain't talked to you in a hog's age. You're at a new job now, right?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2007
    i used to combine some of the hess trucks and the lego guys and make like, towns and have my power ranger zord things attack the town and be all "graaar we're pissed off".

tyrannus on
    edited June 2007
    Jets on monkeys did not work so well, resulting in the death of many a chimp. The program was eventually discontinued and the monkeys still alive turned into mechanics.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited June 2007
    these city sets are pretty cool. great settings for some gun fights.

http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/10182-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

wicked sniper tower right there

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2007
    the best thing ever was taking the playmobile ambulance and setting up a giant fucking ramp out of the wooden ramp boards my dad made me that aimed right out my open second-story window. I'd build lego dudes to drive it, since they broke apart in such satisfying horrible glory, and launch that motherfucker out the window as hard as I could.

Until I cleared the fence and landed right in the back of the neighbor's pickup as he was leaving for work one day.

That's quite a feat.

We kind of did the same thing with those flexible racetracks from Hot Wheels.

We basically turned it into a Hot Wheels cannon that would fling small cars out the window.

One of them was a little too light, and it flew right into the middle of the street and got run over by a UPS van.

Pkmoutl on
    edited June 2007
    hi pk

Hello, Rank my friend.

either works just fine

hows things? I ain't talked to you in a hog's age. You're at a new job now, right?

If by new job, you mean not actually employed and taking care of the domestic problems of the household, then yes. I never realized how much work housework actually is.

Pkmoutl on
    edited June 2007
    the other really awesome thing was building a big suspension bridge in my buddy andy's room out of q-tips and model glue, between two of those big metal canisters that you get around christmas time that are all filled with that nasty fucking three-year-old popcorn.

I'd take one lego guy and put him in the middle of the bridge and be all "okay this is Indiana Jones" and then I'd put a couple of those lego aligators below the bridge and a monkey or two somewhere in the mix.

And then I'd light the bridge on fire at both ends.

Holy shit, model glue burns nasty toxic.

I wasn't allowed over at Andy's house for a long time after that, which was okay because his mom was some crazy nutball baptist anyway and their house smelled like old people and they were hella poor.

Like, Karo syrup on pancakes for dinner poor.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    these city sets are pretty cool. great settings for some gun fights.

http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/10182-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

wicked sniper tower right there

woah I need to buy that

tyrannus on
    edited June 2007
    oh man, rentilius, check this set out

http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/5525-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

that boat look like a miniaturized version of a set you know?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2007
    the best thing ever was taking the playmobile ambulance and setting up a giant fucking ramp out of the wooden ramp boards my dad made me that aimed right out my open second-story window. I'd build lego dudes to drive it, since they broke apart in such satisfying horrible glory, and launch that motherfucker out the window as hard as I could.

That's quite a feat.

We kind of did the same thing with those flexible racetracks from Hot Wheels.

We basically turned it into a Hot Wheels cannon that would fling small cars out the window.

One of them was a little too light, and it flew right into the middle of the street and got run over by a UPS van.

those things made some wicked vicious whips.

talkin big nasty red welts on the back of my little brother's leg when he would get out of the bath and walk past the laundry room without checking the corners first

he learned his lesson

always check blind corners, you never know when you could be attacked when you're naked and wet

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2007
    If by new job, you mean not actually employed and taking care of the domestic problems of the household, then yes. I never realized how much work housework actually is.

I thought you were leaving shittybank for some other position.

Huh.

But yeah, totally. That whole 1950s idealized shit about "oh are you a housewife? Or do you work for a living?" was complete bullshit. June Cleaver was one bad motherfucker.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • QuasiStaticQuasiStatic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I remember when I used to make stop motion lego movies

QuasiStatic on
    edited June 2007
    We used to make LEGO cars and roll them across the kitchen floor at each other and watch them explode.

We were banned from said activity when my mom found a blue LEGO 1x6 afloat in the spaghetti sauce.

My response?

"It's not my fault, my car's the red one!"

Pkmoutl on
    edited June 2007
    you know, looking back I was probably a really bad influence on a couple kids

and I kind of had an unhealthy obsession with burning shit

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Dragons and humans.

Dragon is fucking impressive and comes with its own fire (though the fire isn't so impressive).

IMGP0055.jpg

IMGP0054.jpg

siliconenhanced on
    edited June 2007
    this LEGO chess set in the castle series is really darned neat. me wants

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Also in this topic silicon's apartment tour!!!!!

siliconenhanced on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

I know at least 3 dudes with that

One of them burned most of the grass off of his backyard, luckily his parents put it out before it spread past their yard.

He's grounded till it all grows back, plus one month.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    That's a badass wizard staff, but that's not important. When did LEGO start doing dresses?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I ought to get around to actually reading some of these rules for Brikwars before this year's PAX rolls around, methinks

god it is such a great fucking game

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2007
    MAKE THE DRAGON HUMP THE OTHER LEGOS

tyrannus on
    edited June 2007
    You always have to make the people first, because who else is going to build the spaceship/station/weapons platform/prison?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2007
    blankspace wrote: »

I know at least 3 dudes with that

One of them burned most of the grass off of his backyard, luckily his parents put it out before it spread past their yard.

He's grounded till it all grows back, plus one month.

I did that shit for fucking years

like when I was 16 I burned a huge dead kennedys symbol in gasoline in the backyard at my buddy's house. His dad was piiiiiissed the next day

but I was never as bad as my friend jake

even as a young kid that dude had a knack for lighting himself on fire

like, out camping, right? He'd take one of those juiceboxes, drink all the juice and fill it with zippo fluid. Then put the straw back in it and light it, watch the straw shrivel and melt and then this gout of flame would shoot out.

And we'd be all coooooool until we'd get bored with it and Jake would stomp it out a minute later.

And then a little while later we're sitting around the campfire with the grown-ups, and a spark would jump out and WHOOOOF Jake's pants are on fire.

That shit would happen all the damned time with him.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i have a mindstorms kit, but never really made anything with it though
    i mostly just fooled around in the software

Zoolander on
    edited June 2007

I thought you were leaving shittybank for some other position.

Huh.

But yeah, totally. That whole 1950s idealized shit about "oh are you a housewife? Or do you work for a living?" was complete bullshit. June Cleaver was one bad motherfucker.

My half-brother was supposed to be lining me up for a job at another company, but that kind of fell through when he called the person he recommended me to a stupid bitch during a meeting. At that point, his recommendation didn't mean squat. He's not the brightest kid in the world sometimes.

So since my wife pretty much was making twice what I did at Citi, we decided that rather than taking extravagant vacations, we'd just have to learn to live like normal folk. My salary was basically nothing more than our fun money once she started moving to the specialized wards in the hospital, so she decided that I have to get my health back before getting another job. After I quit at Citi, I spent a week and a half in bed because my body went into shutdown. Flu symptoms, headaches and I was sleeping like I had mono. She said, "That's what you get for working 50 to 60 hour weeks."

I'm feeling better now, and I've lost about 35 lbs. Strange how you don't binge eat when you aren't sitting at a desk at a job you hate for 10+ hours a day. Er, night.

Pkmoutl on