As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chilling out at maximum efficiency

marty_0001marty_0001 I am a fileand you put documents in meRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am planning to make a cd with the most laid-back, slow-paced, relaxing music possible. The kind of music that, if I put my speakers against my window and played it, the people on the sidewalk would just fall asleep as they passed by. Or it would stop my neighbours from arguing. Or it would cause me to lose all feeling in my arms and legs, but put a big smile on my face. THAT relaxing.

Being more specific (and realistic), just anything that's slow, and either bass-y (La Femme d'Argent - Air) or accoustic-y (Paper Aeroplane - Angus & Julia Stone). I have Ministry of Sound's Chillout Sessions 9 and Chillout Classics, both of which are pretty good but only a handful of tracks are just what I'm looking for. Lyrics or just instrumental, either's fine.

Suggestions?

And if you know an album that's out there and already has done the work for me, I'm open to those as well.

marty_0001 on

• Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All of Lemon Jelly. "Make Things Right" comes to mind.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    See if you can find instrumental recordings for big strings - cello and double bass. They sound so nice and smooth that you just want to lie down and listen. Especially with a bit of backup from a piano.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jack Johnson is really relaxing to listen to. Good music for when it's lightly raining outside on a quiet day, just lay back, watch the rain, and enjoy the tunes.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Newer Johnny Cash is totally calming to me for some reason. Maybe it's his old, worn out voice. Particularly The Man Comes Around. His version of Desperado is :^:

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Buckethead - Electric Tears. The whole album is very mellow acoustic / electric tracks. Very ambient and kind of creepy at times, but great to lay back and fall to sleep listening to it. Here's a sample of the first track

stigweard on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »
    See if you can find instrumental recordings for big strings - cello and double bass. They sound so nice and smooth that you just want to lie down and listen. Especially with a bit of backup from a piano.

oh my god this is amazing
    now am on a hunt for more of this

RubberAC on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here's some ideas to get you going. I've even added links to appropriate youtube and Amazon sources so you could sample and browse. Note many of the youtube videos may not be official, but fan project, so ignore the visuals in many cases.

Sigur Ros has tons of stuff that fits the bill. Titles: "Staralfur", "Milano", "Untitled 1", "Untitled 3", "Untitled 4" (there's an album of theirs with no name whatsoever, most of it fits the bill for you though. And many more from them. You'll find lots of success. Live video of song Hoppipolla.

Others notables:
    The Cinematic Orchestra - just grab the album "Ma Fleur". Stand outs from that album are "To Build a Home" and "Into You".
    Craig Armstrong - does a lot of movie scoring. Absolutely gorgeous stuff. "Paris" "The World Trade Center Theme" is a standout. And do whatever you can get to get your hands on the song "Lissa", even if it's not entirely chill, it's stunning.
    Yo-Yo Ma - the master of the cello has dozens of works to choose from. I highly suggest Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone.
    Mogwai - get "Burn Girl Prom Queen" and thank me later. Must have song! Also, "I Know Who You Are But What am I".
    Imogen Heap - "Hide and Seek".

Alright, that should keep you busy for awhile. Let me know if any of these are hits and I might have more I can point you towards.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sublime - Summmer time?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i just came back here after realizing that yes, Hoppipolla is indeed the most relaxing song on earth
    but it has this weird effect
    where if you are happy it will make you feel great
    but if you are sad it will make you even more depressed
    unless youre watching the video, that is

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    RubberAC wrote: »
    i just came back here after realizing that yes, Hoppipolla is indeed the most relaxing song on earth

Totally. Sigur Ros does not have an album out I wouldn't give an appendage for. I have no idea what he's singing, but it's gorgeous.

Hewn on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wooo yeah! Cinematic Orchestra. And Sigur Ros too! Hoppipola isn't quite what I'm looking for. But that untitled album has the goods.

I am a fan of classical music but that's not what I'm looking for in regards to chillout. That Craig Armstrong is good though, I will get some of his stuff at a later date.

I do indeed thank you for that song by Mogwai! But I can't find it anywhere, is it on a particular album?

Imogen Heap - that electronic voice stuff is a bit grating for me.

Jack Johnson - too upbeat. That IS the sort of sound I'm looking for, but a fair bit slower.

I'm liking Lemon Jelly's Make Things Right. That Lost Horizons album isn't too bad either.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Have you heard The Field yet?

It's very relaxing, very ambient tape loop stuff. It's impossible for me to digest it the way I normally digest an album, but it's perfect for what you're describing. Unfortunately, the only place you can get it is online. I got my copy from Amazon.

I'll see if I can find a sample MP3 that's full length (the only one I know of is 2 minutes of a 7 minute song).

Edit: The Field - Over The Ice

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Awesome, glad some of those turned out well. "Burn Girl Prom Queen" is on the Mogwai E.P. Based upon that, here's a handful of others. Some of these are wild stabs, though, just to make sure I don't overlook anything. More crazy youtube videos to come.

Moby - we've all heard of him for one reason or another. He has dozens of songs that are extremely chill and sparse, yet beautiful. Here's a few that might be hit or miss. "My Weakness","In My Heart", "Sunday", "Porcelain", "Hotel Intro" and so may others. The stuff linked might seem to upbeat, but there's plenty just like the "Hotel Intro" available as well. Sample around, this seems to fit the bill.

Postal Service - "Dream of Evan and Chan". Billed as Dntel, but these are the guys that make up Postal Service.

Death Cab for Cutie - "Passenger Seat".

Frou Frou - "The Dumbing Down of Love". Imogen Heap, again, this time without the electronic voice.

Regina Spektor - "Samson". Female vocal and piano, not unlike Frou Frou. This the right track?

J. Ralph - "One Million Miles Away". Pretty mellow and haunting, features dumb beat, piano, and strings.

Trust Company - "Hover (Quiet Mix)".

Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats. Like Jack Johnson, but even more mellow?

Taking Back Sunday - "New American Classic". Acoustic guitar love song.

NIN - "Right Where You Belong".

Bright Eyes - "First Day of My Life".

Damien Rice - "The Blower's Daughter".

Dave Matthews Band - "Lover Lay Down". This song is absolutely gold.

Lemon Jelly - Already mentioned, worth repeating. "Come". (Only part of the song featured)

Cat Power - "I Found a Reason". Great cover! Bonus points for being a House fan video, ha.

Okay, that's way too many. But I had fun searching through the songs, hope some people enjoy!

Hewn on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How about some Iron & Wine?

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jim Noir Eanie Meany

My Patch

Also another vote for Lemon Jelly. The staunton Lick especially, it would be the theme tune for my life if i had the choice.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    CBG BlenderCBG Blender Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    One song that's definitely chill: DJ Krush- Dig This Vibe. All instrumental, super laid back.

CBG Blender on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    john mayer-gravity

only song of his I enjoy, mostly for the non douchebag blues guitar parts

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music For Airports is pretty much where it's at for relaxing background music. It's probably the greatest ambient album ever conceived, so you might want to try it out.

Sublime is good for having beers and hanging out.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music For Airports is pretty much where it's at for relaxing background music. It's probably the greatest ambient album ever conceived, so you might want to try it out.

Sublime is good for having beers and hanging out.

I haven't heard Music for Airports, but I really dig Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hewn wrote: »

Totally. Sigur Ros does not have an album out I wouldn't give an appendage for. I have no idea what he's singing, but it's gorgeous.

my favorite is jonsi's Hopelandic lyrics
    'what are they even saying?'
    'oh nothing it's really just gibberish'

RubberAC on
  • Options
    IloroKamouIloroKamou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "hopelandic" which isn't even actually a real language, they just made it up. it's based off icelandic.

edit: completely beated...that's what i get for goin for a run before replying.

IloroKamou on
    "There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zero7
    Zero7
    Zero7
    Zero7

And again Zero7.

Best chillout band ever.
    Also can't believe no one has told you about Thievery Corporation. Try them right now.

Also try:

Songs from the Front Porch - Michael Franti. It's his acoustic album. So nice.
    Night Works - Layo and Bushwacka
    Spirit of the Sun - Kyoto Jazz Massive
    Veneer - Jose Gonzales
    Some of the tracks off of Deliver the Weird! by the Clifford Gilberto Rhythm Combination.
    Gotan Project

I can't get to my harddrive with my full playlist so that's all I can suggest now.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    One song that's definitely chill: DJ Krush- Dig This Vibe. All instrumental, super laid back.

I second DJ Krush (and DEFINITELY Sigur Ros). I have DJ Krush's Kakusei and I love it.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Six wrote: »
    How about some Iron & Wine?

Word, and his project with Calexico wasn't bad either.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was going to recommend "Lover Lay Down" by Dave Matthews Band, but Hewn totally beat me to it. In any case, let me second it. Honestly, it's one of the most relaxing songs ever. I don't even know how many times I've fallen asleep listening to that song.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anything from Télépopmusik, particularly Breathe and Love Can Damage You. Also, if you can get a hold of Ministry of Sound 2006 Ibiza Annual, Disc 3 (The Beach) has quite a few tracks that are chillout.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Led Zeppelin - Bon Yr Aur

Might actually be Bron Yr Aur, I forget. Note: If the word 'stomp' is at the end of the title it's a completely different song.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, anything with Mark Kozelek. Red House Painters lesser than Sun Kil Moon though. Ghosts of the Great Highway is a stunning album.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, anything with Mark Kozelek. Red House Painters lesser than Sun Kil Moon though. Ghosts of the Great Highway is a stunning album.

Your name broke the forum.

Edit: And I have 1920x1200, I can't even imagine what it looks like on low res.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »

It was completely fucked. Now it's completely fucked for another reason altogether but hey just shut up and download some Sun Kil Moon.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

It was completely fucked. Now it's completely fucked for another reason altogether but hey just shut up and download some Sun Kil Moon.

And, in the same vein, Kings of Convenience.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    QuasiStaticQuasiStatic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

Really? Interesting. I've always wanted to know whether or not I was really happy, of I was actually depressed and just though I was happy all the time. Now I will know.

QuasiStatic on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hoo ha! You guys have gone to way too much trouble, and it is much appreciated! Some of those albums are fantastic, I'm definitely going to buy them in the near future. With all this I think I will make one cd with acoustic-guitar stuff and one with electronica.

Thanks heaps. More suggestions are still welcome.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Massive Attack has some really chilled out brilliant music, for example Teardrop.

Chances are you've probably heard their music but never realised it, they've had a lot of their music used in films, tv etc.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maidez-Sneaker pimps

great chillout song. Love it

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Porcelain

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Amon Tobin has some nice relaxed tracks to when you get around the creepy ones, Stoney Street, One Day in My Garden and Marine machines come to mind. Also Melody Infringement on the ninja cuts album is pretty nice too. And did any one say Boards Of Canada,?

This thread has helped my playlists a whole ton, though. I was still branching out from Lemon Jelly.

Iruka on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Beastie Boys have some really awesome, mellow instrumentals. The main ones that come to mind are Sabrosa, Ricky's Theme, Transitions, Song for Junior and Sneakin' Out the Hospital.

Also:
    If She Wants Me, Summer Wasting - Belle & Sebastian
    Sea Anemone (really shitty quality compared to album version) - Jets to Brazil
    Wrong Side of the Road - Tom Waits
    Carry the Zero, The Weather, Car (preferably the version from their live album), Big Dipper, Liar- Built to Spill

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Zero7
    Zero7
    Zero7
    Zero7
    And again Zero7.
    Best chillout band ever.

I just want to say thank you for exposing me
    To this band.
    I just bought one of their albums off of iTunes.

Zombot on
  • Options
    Food?Food? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Canal Song by Iain Archer is pretty relaxing, it just came on my party shuffle and I've never heard it before. So yeah, a good coincidence.

Food? on
    gr_smile2.gif