As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's for dinner?

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, carbonara in its purest form is just egg and cream. Everything else is fanciness. Adding little bacon sniplets does make it 40 times better though.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just made an amazing surf and turf dinner with strip steak (marinated for 2 days in A1, olive oli, vinegar, a fuck ton of spices, and as a secret lemon pepper), marinated shrimp (REALLY secret), and a three bean, but AWESOME salad my GF made.

I can throw down.

BUT!

This post was more about cheap eats. If someone wants something more on really good food, let me know. I just made 12 lbs of pulled pork, potato salad, cole slaw, and baked beans, all for a group of 16.

Everyone agreed that each was the best, in one way or another. It was gone within a day.

12 lbs...with sides...yes...in 24 hours.

Anyway, really cheap easts.

Take a packet of Ramen, cook, drain, but add a really slight bit of the packet seasoning. Toss in a small amount of cheaper parmesan cheese, and a bit of A1.

Really.

Its good.

Also try the poor mans chicken soup. Take Chicken Ramen, use about half of the flavor packet. and then add the spices. Lemon of any form is good. Juice, zezt, or pepper are all good. Any other fresh herb, along with basil, parsley and pepper. All nice.

Eat as a soup. Broth included, as long as you let it soak for a bit.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fried Rice (great for gluing leftover veggies and meat and crap together)

-Dice up your veggies (carrots, celery, onion, peppers, peas, bean sprouts, whatever you have lying around); if they're raw, start sauteing them over medium heat in a big saute pan or wok with a couple tablespoons of cooking oil and a pinch or so of salt.

-If you have any handy, cut up cooked meat (chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, anything works) into 1/2" cubes, add to vegetables to start heating up. Toss them around for a minute or so.

-Dump a few cups of leftover or fresh cooked rice (white or brown) into the pan, bang it around with a spatula or wooden spoon to break up the clumps. Toss it around, fold it in with the meat and veggies.

-Add soy sauce until the rice turns a pleasing brown, continuing to toss. Add a beaten egg and stir until cooked (optional). Add a splash of sesame oil if you have it - adds a great flavor. Add black pepper to taste, devour with chopsticks.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OK. Here's an easy one that will feed you for a week. And if you freeze some of it, and eat other things too it will keep you fed for a month.

HAMBURGER SOUP

Yes, hamburger.

Ingredients:

One onion.

Some barley(instant stuff is fine).

Onion soup mix.(Mrs. Grass is good)

1lbs. of Ground Chuck(don't get the fatty stuff)

Some potatoes.

Some baby carrots.

Directions:

Get a big ass pot. No, bigger. Good. Now start peeling potatoes. Watch tv or something, it makes it go faster. Cut the peeled potatoes into bitsize pieces. This helps them cook better and honestly, who wants a half a potato in their soup? That is not going to fit on your spoon. Once you've got a decent number of potatoes cut, say, about 1/4 to 1/2 of the pot, dice up an onion and toss that in. Next, put a few cups of the barley into it. These will act as you noodles, so put in as much as you want. Then throw in your carrots, as many as you want, and the soup mix. Now, pull apart the burger into pieces. You don't need to make meat balls or anything, but I guess you could. Just rip it up enough so that it's not one huge piece of burger on top of all your shit. At this point you should be worried about the pot overflowing. It will cook down a little, don't worry, but you are going to have a TON of food still. Fill up the remaining space in the pot with water, and hopefully it covers all the ingredients.

Sit that on your stove on high and stir it up for the first few minutes. Don't worry too much now about the hamburger not cooking. Potatoes take a goddamn epoch to cook, and while we cut them up small, they are still going to take much longer than anything else in your pot. Once it gets boiling, leave it alone, put a top on it if you have one, to help it cook faster. Come back and stir it every once in a while. It may take about 30min-45min. to be done. Once you've been cooking it for a good 10-15min, get a fork and skewer a few potatoes. If the fork goes into them all easy, it is done. If you have to force the fork in, they are NOT done. Do a random sampling so you feel confident all of them are done. While I said the meat would be done long before the potatoes, don't leave it to chance and cut open with your big spoon or whatever you are stiring with any big pieces of meat left.

Ok, it's done. Put it in bowls and eat. I'd put on a bunch of black pepper but my girlfriend doesn't it so I guess I can't tell everyone to do so.

Feeds a family of 4 for a week or two college aged males for 3 days.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Haha. Oh, it's chai.

for some reason I thought it was egg nog.

I thought banana flavoured milk. Why is his tea yellow?

I am making burgers tonight, I make a the patties pretty much the same way as the op except I mix in some bread crumbs, and egg and a couple of spices. I make a big batch once a month and stick them in the freezer and they do us for one meal a week. I fry the patties then grill them with some Gruyère cheese on top.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    The hamburger stew is a good low-cost meal. I'd probably cook the hamburger and onions first so you get some nice browning and caramelization going on, but either way works.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    You all should also whore your cooking, because I just love looking at food. Not as much as eating it, though.

36590618_b87effba9d.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to be trying that stir-fry recipe soon, any real tips for stir-frying?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    I'm going to be trying that stir-fry recipe soon, any real tips for stir-frying?
    I don't know what the stir-fry recipe in question already says - but throw some peanuts or cashews in.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It was Irond Will's on the first page, about ramen. I kinda don't know how to stir-fry well.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I made it last night with garlic greens, onions, shrimp and ramen. It turned out pretty well. The only real trick is figuring out what parts you want cooked more or less - I added the onions too early, and they ended out limper than I'd have liked. Also, I rolled the shrimp in some corn starch, salt, pepper and cayenne and fried them a little before I started the rest of it so they'd be crispy.

Let the pan pre-heat before you add anything, use the heaviest pan you have, and use high heat but not so high that your oil smokes. If you like the noodles crispy you need to add them first and probably use more oil than you would otherwise. You'll probably want to add some sort of sauce near the end - I used diluted soy sauce with red pepper flakes, chives and sriracha, but really you can use anything that sounds good.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mine recipe is simply chicken (that goes in first), followed by carrots, snow peas and red peppers. Irond's advice about cooking time is really good - depends on whether you like your ingredients firm or soft. For example, we don't like the carrots too crispy, but don't want soggy red pepper.

I've never tried cooking noodles in the stir-fry. Usually we just toss it on a bed of rice or egg-noodles that were prepared separately.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So the actual mechanics of stir-frying:

Boil your ramen without the flavor packet. drain off the water, stir a little oil into it, set aside.

Dice up your vegetables and meat and whatever else you have that might be good in it. Most anything can work, really.

Get heavy pan or wok. Add some high-heat oil like canola or sunflower oil.

Put on medium-high to high heat - don't make the oil smoke but still keep it pretty hot.

Add the ingredients in the order in which you'd like them to be cooked. If you like your noodles crispy add those early since it's actually a challenge to burn those things.

Near the end add some sort of sauce or at least some salt and pepper. You could probably use part of that flavor packet if you're short on anything else.

It's high heat so you need to keep stirring the whole thing pretty regularly until you're done.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay D&D you are my last hope

Mother has entrusted me with fresh chicken breasts and $20. I could make stirfry -- it was DELICIOUS, but any other ideas?

Edit: Oh, sheeit, this is Cass. But I still need advice!

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thank you. Stir-frying is pretty quick, though, right? Like, I'll be able to see how they are just by looking at them after a few minutes?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I like making potato/tomato soup. Quick to cook and you can just toss the stuff in and set an egg clock and do something else.

Chop an onion, give it a quick stir-fry in a pan. Throw in pot.

Peel potatoes, slice them. I like thick slices (10-15mm) so they're still a bit chewy. Throw in pot, add just enough water to cover them. Spice with some pepper - I have a great pepper mix with (runs to kitchen to check) salt, black pepper, paprika, mustard seeds, onion, coriander seeds and cayenne pepper that's great for meat, and works well in this soup too.

Boil on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Then add puréed tomato, and let it boil for another couple of minutes until the potato feels done.

Echo on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Mother has entrusted me with fresh chicken breasts and $20. I could make stirfry -- it was DELICIOUS, but any other ideas?

1.) Apply a slice of fresh provolone cheese to each, and then cover with tomato sauce with oregano and basil mixed in.

2.) Put in the oven in a baking dish with 1/4 inch or so of water in the bottom, and bake for 50 minutes (or so, depending on how big the chicken pieces are) at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

3.) Profit?

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thank you. Stir-frying is pretty quick, though, right? Like, I'll be able to see how they are just by looking at them after a few minutes?
    Yep. The beauty of stovetop cooking is that you can taste/ see what going on and add ingredients or take it off the heat easily if things aren't going right.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Chicken Enchiladas.

This is a great site for recipes by the way. Some are a little more on the complicated side, but there are still lots of ideas - we sometimes dumb them down a little depending on what we have in the kitchen or know what to do.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Chicken parmasean sounds in order as mentioned before. but you gotta bread and fry that first, and then put the cheese and sauce on and bake.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    I've been meaning to try this, 'caue I love tuna.
    The Cat wrote:
    Tuna Patties

1 400g can of tuna in brine (or salmon. If you're a freak)
    About the same volume of potatoes - so two or three fist-sized ones
    Sweet Chilli Sauce
    1 egg or some buttermilk
    Plain Flour. Rice flour if gluten-intolerant - actually rice flour tastes better

Wash, peel and boil or steam the potatoes. Mash them on their own, then add the drained tin of tuna. Mix thoroughly, then add as much chilli sauce as you like. Add the egg (open it in a separate bowl and beat it lightly first). You can use buttermilk if you don't have an egg, this ingredient is basically only there to make everything stick together. Mix thoroughly again. Shape into patties about the size of your palm and a centimetre thick or so. Sprinkle each side with the flour, and dry fry over a moderate heat till each side is slightly blackened. Serve with salad. You should get 5 or 6 patties, enough for two people.

Notes: If your mix is too runny, just add some rice flour to thicken it. You can oil the pan if you want, but it just gets absorbed really quickly. The patties don't tend to stick, anyway.

I don't know if using tuna in oil will make a big difference, but I'm doing that. And replacing chilli sauce with Worcestershire sauce.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I were not writing my ass off right now, I would totally be putting down a kefta recipe.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That sounds pretty good, elks. Maybe I'll try those tonght.

I'll bet that some chopped onion, parsley, chopped jalapeno and maybe celery would be good in them too.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I can't make kefta while my mother is around; hers are better than any that I've tasted.

Anways, tuna patties.

tunapatties.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Anways, tuna patties.

That looks like something I should save for my "Stupidly simple recipies in 20 minutes" collection.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I can't make kefta while my mother is around; hers are better than any that I've tasted.

Without that five-spice thing my parents have shipped over, it tastes like a plain burger. That just won't do. I can't remember what goes into that spice mix, though, otherwise the recipe would already be up. Sumac. Other stuff.

Let's see, there's mlukheyeh (haven't had that in years), sfiha (sfiha is dead easy to make), tabouleh (the mostly-parsley kind, not the mostly-couscous), fasoolia (I like the corruption of the Italian there), warag dwali...those are most of my big ones.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh man, I saw some canned warag dwali at Wal-Mart the other day. With Arabic packaging and everything.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I visited my parents last weekend and my mother sent me home with some frozen steaks. I stored them in the freezer section of my fridge and thawed them one day. When I cooked them on my George Foreman grill (efficiency apartment), they didn't cook too well. The color of the steak looked very strange. It looked okay when I opened the package, but it just looked strange when I cooked them... it was kind of grey right when it was put on the grill and it never cooked to a nice brown color. They also were very tough and didn't taste very well.

I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the process of freezing/defrosting...

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh man, I saw some canned warag dwali at Wal-Mart the other day. With Arabic packaging and everything.

Veggie, right? That's the only kind that comes canned, though I'm surprised Wal-Mart carries terrorist food.

Sometimes my mother buys those when there's a party and she doesn't have time to do the prep work. It may taste good, but a lot of Middle Eastern food takes forever to make. Grape leaves and date cookies are so tedious to prepare.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    I visited my parents last weekend and my mother sent me home with some frozen steaks. I stored them in the freezer section of my fridge and thawed them one day. When I cooked them on my George Foreman grill (efficiency apartment), they didn't cook too well. The color of the steak looked very strange. It looked okay when I opened the package, but it just looked strange when I cooked them... it was kind of grey right when it was put on the grill and it never cooked to a nice brown color. They also were very tough and didn't taste very well.

Raw meat will oxidize and turn brown/grey on the outside after a while, regardless of how well you take care of it. If it's ground, this isn't a big deal. For a steak, it can sometimes be a deal-breaker, especially on a Foreman.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »

Raw meat will oxidize and turn brown/grey on the outside after a while, regardless of how well you take care of it. If it's ground, this isn't a big deal. For a steak, it can sometimes be a deal-breaker, especially on a Foreman.

Ah shit! So that's why the meat was all tough instead of being nice and tender?

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the sound of that stir-fry, Will. I've never stir-fried before, but I think I can handle it.

Tonight, however, is enchilada night! Woo!

My one job is to prepare the guacamole, which is fine with me because that means I get to eat lots of tortilla chips while "perfecting" the guac.

Edit - I just realized I didn't share a recipie! I'm such a dick.

Gooey's Gooey Guacamole!

1. Get some avacados. 2 or 3.
    2. Take the pit out and skin off of them.
    3. Cut 'em up, stick 'em in a bowl.
    4. Get some Pace picante sauce and throw in a spoonful or 2.
    5. Add a touch of salt.
    6. Squeeze a lime in there.
    7. Mash it all up with a fork.
    8. Eat.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Ah shit! So that's why the meat was all tough instead of being nice and tender?

It's actually mostly cosmetic. I would say your defrosting method and your grill had more to do with it being tough; you really need to see what happens with a fresh steak (get a cheaper cut that's still good).

The fattest, juiciest steak fresh from the butcher simply won't cook/taste quite the same as it will after you've frozen it and defrosted it, though. Defrosting changes things.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Last night's supper - Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

- boil chicken for about 30 minutes (we used eight thighs).
    - in a bowl mix two cans of cream of chicken soup with a cup of milk (maybe less, our's was a little runny) and four tablespoons of mayonnaise.
    - in another bowl, grate approximately 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs, and add melted butter and savory (this is your dressing).
    - take 9x13 casserole dish and fill bottom with pieces of broccoli.
    - cut up chicken into smaller, 1" pieces, and put on top of the broccoli.
    - next put in the dressing.
    - drizzle the cream mixture on top (should be just enough to cover it).
    - put about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese on top and cover with foil.
    - bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    jgreshamjgresham Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Last night's supper - Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

- boil chicken for about 30 minutes (we used eight thighs).
    - in a bowl mix two cans of cream of chicken soup with a cup of milk (maybe less, our's was a little runny) and four tablespoons of mayonnaise.
    - in another bowl, grate approximately 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs, and add melted butter and savory (this is your dressing).
    - take 9x13 casserole dish and fill bottom with pieces of broccoli.
    - cut up chicken into smaller, 1" pieces, and put on top of the broccoli.
    - next put in the dressing.
    - drizzle the cream mixture on top (should be just enough to cover it).
    - put about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese on top and cover with foil.
    - bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.

I know a similar recipie, but it's a curried version with spiced breadcrumbs which works pretty well.
    As far as burger recipies go, I like adding a small amount of sundried tomatoes and basil.
    Potato skins for me tonight.

jgresham on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I usually use rice when I make stir-fry. My girlfriend makes pad thai all the time but I'm not so much a fan of noodles so I cook the rice the night before, and use that.

- Cook rice night before, refrigerate (or you can leave it out, up to you)
    - Defrost or get out some chicken
    - Get a wok, cover the bottom with cooking oil
    - Cut up the chicken and put it in
    - Once it is starting to turn brown, move it up the side of the wok
    - Add in a few eggs
    - Cook em up, then put in your onions
    - After onions I like to put in mixed vegetables, cook those
    - Sprinkle some red pepper spice on all of it
    - Put in your rice, mix it up, cook the rice for a while on a lower heat
    - Put in some Thai chili sauce to taste, the stuff I got at the Asian grocery store looks like this:
    http://www.thaitradefair.com/fairin/thaifex03/exibi_images/product_images/phibooncha1.jpg

Serve

Is great warmed up the day after as well.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Veggie, right? That's the only kind that comes canned, though I'm surprised Wal-Mart carries terrorist food.

Dude, the Wal-Marts around here have sections filled with terrorist food; the market has spoken, and terrorism wins. They even stock Vimto. I had a hard time finding that in Cairo.

I got this there, on my way back from class, because I'm thinking about making some lamb, later.

maftoul.JPG

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Help me Elkamil I can't read terrorist.

That does look tasty though.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm making Puerco Pibil again tonight.

There will be pictures.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Help me Elkamil I can't read terrorist.
    I understand it's pronounced "Ji-had brand" :P

What is it, couscous, chick-peas . . . quarters of chicken?
    jgresham wrote: »
    As far as burger recipies go, I like adding a small amount of sundried tomatoes and basil.
    An egg, basil, oregano and some breadcrumbs for us.

Andrew_Jay on