As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Files disappearing (really weird computer problem)

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have Dell Inspiron e1750 as my main and only computer. I canibalized my old desktop for usable parts, mostly the hard drives which I put into external enclosures to use as external storage and media drives (via USB). I'm having a really, really weird problem with one drive right now.

Basically, I'm storing most of my downloaded files on this drive in a particular folder. Recently, in this folder, every file that start with a letter after "M" simply vanishes (it may not be "M"; read on to find out more). It only appears to be this one folder, and is not across the entire drive. Every time a download and save a file after this cutoff point, it doesn't show up in the drive, although the hard drive is showing that space is used. If I copy a file from another folder after this cutoff point, it appears in the folder. Then, when I leave the folder and go back in, the file has disappeared. Renaming the folder doesn't help. Moving the folder to another folder (to change the path) doesn't help.

I also believe that all my files are still there, just that something is wrong with viewing them. One time, I tried to save another file there from before the cutoff (the cutoff is actually in the middle of a multi-file winrar archive), and a couple of other files from the archive reappeared. Then I deleted some files from the directory, and a few more files disappeared from the end. Oh, it's not just Windows Explorer, as I've tried looking in the directory using third party software (open file, things like that) just see if it would help.

I really want to recover my data if possible as it does seem to be there, and I have never seen anything like this. I have checked the "Show Hidden Files" and all that. A quick google search didn't seem to help. I'm using WinXP Pro SP2. The hard drive in question is Seagate 200 GB 7200 RPM Barracuda (not that old, two years at best, although it's actually only a little over a year old; can't remember when I bought it). The data seems to be there just hidden/inaccessible.

Dalboz on

• Options
    MegalodonMegalodon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My first suggestion would be to use command prompt to see if you can find the files. Enter it, type "chdir" followed by a space followed by whatever directory you're trying to access (e.g. C:\Program Files\), then type the command "dir". It will list all the files and folders in your current directory.

Megalodon on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, tried it, without chdir. I just typed e: after going into it in Windows Explorer and it dropped into E:\New Folder. Typed dir and gives the same files list as shown in Windows Explorer, and ends with "File Not Found". After typing dir, I get a pop up icon in the system tray that says "cmd.exe - Corrupt File; The file or directory "E:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility." I'm not sure if I should actually run Chkdsk, as I'm concerned about losing data that I'm pretty sure is still there. Recommendations?

Dalboz on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like your drive might be in the first stages of going bad... or you may just have a corrupt file table. Try a chkdsk /f on the drive, and if needed, a chkdsk /r
    I've never had checkdisk lose a file, so it should be safe to run.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?