As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about wrestling

12346»

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had a suspicion the wiki thing might have been a coincidence, once the user history was dug up.

And those text messages are creepy.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't have a whole lot to contribute to the thread, however, I would like to make one request, though it may be controversial.

Can we take out the "RIP Chris Benoit" from the title? Because I personally find it a little offensive that a child killer deserves to rest in peace. Maybe change it to "the death of Chris Benoit" or even "the fall of a hero" since he was, to some, a hero at one time. Just not RIP.

Actually, how about this: RIP Nancy and Daniel Benoit.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Now I feel terrible for the WWE. I mean, if it had just been an accident it would have been in the worst taste possible to continue the "Death" angle, but now they have to get over the fact that they spent three tear filled hours eulogizing a man who killed his wife and son. It's going to be difficult (mainly because I've been out of it for so long) but I am going to watch Smackdown and Raw this week just to see how well they bounce back from this.

They've pretty much written him off entirely. At the beginning of ECW, Vince issued an apology, stating that they didn't know the circumstances of Benoit's death when RAW went on the air. They're not going to mention Benoit on television again. (At least, not until all the autopsy tests are done and they know what really happened.) They've also scrubbed every reference to Benoit off the website and took down his merchandise.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow. That is a hell of a coincidence, about the wikipedia thing.

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pulse Wrestling has this to add:
    The confession can be read in its entirety here, and according to PWTorch.com, it was confirmed that this person posted his/her confession from the same IP address that the original edit in question came from (therefore, there's a good chance it's the same person). However, in his analysis of the confession, Wade Keller states the following, which I think is important - or at least interesting - enough to post here: "...when investigation through Wikipedia's history linked to that IP address revealed that the individual had previously edited just a month earlier a Chavo Guerrero entry on Wikipedia - not to vandalize it, but to eliminate vile and outlandish accusations - it seemed too big of a coincidence. The fact that a person who accurately predicted something that few people could have had insight into at that point had also come to the defense on Wikipedia of one person who had tons of insight into Benoit's situation that weekend, then it became a story. The problem with the confession is that it fits two scenarios: One, a guy guessed right and is now sorry. Two, someone who broke confidence with someone who had inside info, who somehow has a tie with Chavo Guerrero, and is scared to death that he or she has just gotten into a lot of trouble and perhaps gotten Chavo or someone else who was a middleman between them in trouble because the Wikipedia entry indicates Chavo might have known more earlier than he let on. The only way to eliminate the potential tie-in to anyone who was privy to insight into Nancy's well-being or Benoit's potential actions or confessed actions is for this person to come forward and be investigated and then cleared of any such connection."

I'm a little reluctant to buy into "coincidence" as well; coincidence only goes so far, and I think the Chavo thing might push it a little past that.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I find that ridiculous. All that says is the guy likes Chavo. He also hates Ron Artest and likes Stacy Keibler. Why does it have to indicate some kind of conspiracy in which Chavo Guerrero has something to do with discovering the bodies at Benoit's home, or worse?

Plus, if I had that information, why the hell am I going to put it on Wikipedia ASAP? Get status as a contributor, in a "f1rst p0st!!" sort of way? Why not just link it to any number of popular wrestling sites?

Lux on
  • Options
    pdk01pdk01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wikipedia guy confesses, says it is a coincidence.

pdk01 on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really like the post written about it on Websnark
    Me I havn't watched alot of wrestling, it was on for a short while here late at night and I watched it then occasionally and Christ Benoit actually was one of my favourite wrestlers.
    I think the fact that he somehow got, or was, completely fucked up is more disturbing though.

Is there any other case where anyone as famous has done anything this fucked up?
    The long time breaks between killing his wife, his son and himself are most disturbing, what the hell was he doing?
    Fuck

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    fjafjan wrote: »
    I
    Is there any other case where anyone as famous has done anything this fucked up?

Other than OJ, Fatty Arbuckle and Michael Jackson|?

(Allegedly.)

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    OJ killed his wife, he didn't kill his wife, sit around for a couple hours, then kill his son. then sit around for a day or so and THEN kil himself.

Micheal Jackson is a pedophile (most likely) ... I don't think that's as bad either. He's way more famous though.
    Also no idea who "fatty arbuckle" is

fjafjan on
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Arbuckle-Roscoe-01.jpg
    You might know him as Roscoe Conkling Arbuckle. Coke bottles.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nope, never heard of him.
    But according to the (in all honesty pretty low quality) wikipedia article he was found innocent
    So it might have been a bigger SCANDAL, certainly, but not as fucked up.

fjafjan on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For the people who saw the tributes before they were taken down, was it just me or did Regal look almost disgusted when he was giving his tribute? It struck me as really odd at the time, but looking back he had to have known something. Normal people don't act that way when confronted with the death of a co-worker/friend.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, Regal's tribute really struck in my mind. I have the show saved on my dvr still, I should rewatch that part now.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe he just didn't like Benoit? Not everything is a big conspiracy, guys.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, Regal's tribute really struck in my mind. I have the show saved on my dvr still, I should rewatch that part now.

It's uncanny how he absolutely refused to say anything about Benoit other than saying he was the best wrestler. I definitely believe Regal knew what was up, or at least had a pretty good idea.
    Maybe he just didn't like Benoit? Not everything is a big conspiracy, guys.

According to many sources, before this whole shit went down, there wasn't a soul in the locker room that didn't like Benoit. They didn't all know him very well, but they all liked and respected him a great deal.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From what I understand, all the tributes where taped, with some being taped when all they knew was that Beniot's family was dead, and a few (Edge, Regal) taped after everyone at the E learned that the Sheriff's thought Beniot killed his family.

I mean, Edge's especially reads like someone who can't believe their friend would do such a thing.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    From what I understand, all the tributes where taped, with some being taped when all they knew was that Beniot's family was dead, and a few (Edge, Regal) taped after everyone at the E learned that the Sheriff's thought Beniot killed his family.

I mean, Edge's especially reads like someone who can't believe their friend would do such a thing.

Is there a timeline for when everyone found out what happened? I don't even know when they all found out Benoit was dead. I myself didn't find out until flipping on the USA network and realizing it was a Benoit tribute show and not a McMahon tribute show. :?

So, like...when did the WWE themselves learn of Benoit's death?

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Triple B wrote: »

Is there a timeline for when everyone found out what happened? I don't even know when they all found out Benoit was dead. I myself didn't find out until flipping on the USA network and realizing it was a Benoit tribute show and not a McMahon tribute show. :?

WWE had a timeline, but they took it down in their Beniot purge.

IIR they learned the family was dead around 3pm, a few hours before Raw was to start.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Triple B wrote: »

WWE had a timeline, but they took it down in their Beniot purge.

IIR they learned the family was dead around 3pm, a few hours before Raw was to start.

Something in me doubts that they knew the circumstances before Raw aired. If they'd known it was a double homicide suicide, they probably wouldn't have aired a tribute.

I think my previous point probably debunks this. They definitely wouldn't have aired a three-hour eulogy if they had the inclination that Benoit was a murderer.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The E didn't know Benoit was a muderer, they just knew he was dead.

They called the Gainsville Sheriff earlier that day to have them check on Chris, and the Sheriffs called them back around 3 IIR to tell them that the family was found dead. They didn't mention anything about how they died cause they didn't know, so all the E knew is that the family was dead and went ahead with the tribute.

It wasn't until later that the word that it was a double murder/suicide came out.

and as for the tributes being taped, I mean 'taped 10-20 minutes ago and then aired so we don't have grieving people breaking down on live TV' not 'taped hours ago'

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The E didn't know Benoit was a muderer, they just knew he was dead.

They called the Gainsville Sheriff earlier that day to have them check on Chris, and the Sheriffs called them back around 3 IIR to tell them that the family was found dead. They didn't mention anything about how they died cause they didn't know, so all the E knew is that the family was dead and went ahead with the tribute.

It wasn't until later that the word that it was a double murder/suicide came out.

and as for the tributes being taped, I mean 'taped 10-20 minutes ago and then aired so we don't have grieving people breaking down on live TV' not 'taped hours ago'

Yeah, but what you said was

So, I don't know what you're getting at. Of course it was all taped, but my point was it was all taped before anyone knew Benoit was a murderer. You didn't seem to wholly agree with that.

Triple B on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    On another topic, did anyone watch or is anyone planning on watching RoH's Pay Per View, Respect is Earned?

I think RoH is easily putting out the best wrestling in North America right now. Watching Glory by Honor Night 2 and Unified after this crazy week has really helped me get around the sickness I felt with the Benoit situation, and realize that I will in fact, be able to continue watching pro-wrestling.

Anyone who hasn't tried RoH yet, I would strongly urge to do so. They have a few matches up at http://www.rohwrestling.com and a quick search on youtube for guys like KENTA, Brian Danielson, Nigel McGuiness, and The Brisco Brothers will turn up what these guys are all about. Think TNA's X-Division, but with less retarded fans, less pointless comedy angles, and more in-ring story-telling. Their only big "soap opera" angle of the year is actually good as well, as I've found myself getting way more wrapped up in Jimmy Jacobs trying to win over Lacey than any wrestling storyline since Edge/Matt Hardy.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I could watch pro wrestling again if it were all matches and no horribly retarded soap opera.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Special KaySpecial Kay Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    I don't think Benoit was responsible. He could be, but I don't know. Ether way I won't judge him because what went down is between him and God and anyone involved..

This YouTube link is a support for him. I recommend EVERYONE see it;

http://www.youtube.com/user/REASONABLEDOUBTHERE

Special Kay on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I could watch pro wrestling again if it were all matches and no horribly retarded soap opera.

Man, WCW was great with this until near the end.

I hate the WWE just for muscling up and slowing down the mexican wrestlers. Although at least McMahon had the respect towards their tradition to have Rey wear his mask again.

The day I really started to tune out of WCW was when they took a half hour of the hour program with Bischoff's knockoff of the Late Show. WTF? That was fucking retarded. And spending an hour and a half talking about Jesse Ventura when he was elected governor. Then their storylines started falling apart or mysteriously forgotten each week.

The final nail in the coffin for me was the Wolfpac turning heel. I literally turned off the TV and never watched WCW again after that. What a fucking stupid decision.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ugh, don't remind me that the WCW did that to Rey. Who did he lose that bet to? I've forgotten.

Gim on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Kevin Nash i do believe.

FyreWulff on