As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Rating Systems And Mature Content

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, as you all probably know, Manhunt 2 has been shelved by Rockstar in lieu of it basically offending every single ratings board on Earth, even meriting the infamous ESRB "AO".

That's tangential to this thread. But it illustrates one of the major problems with rating systems today - instead of being just a mechanism to classify content, they have become a system to select and purge it. When the MPAA system was created to replace the Hays Code, there was no issue with films receiving a rating of 'X' - many theaters would show such films. Indeed, there are several notable films that were rated 'X', the best known being Midnight Cowboy. But now, film studios scramble to avoid getting an 'NC-17' rating, lest the major theaters and retail chains close their doors. Somehow, I don't think this is how the rating system was meant to work.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Studios that cut content in order to edge under an NC-17 rating are just reacting to market pressures. NC-17 movies don't fare well at the box office and do better on video... hence the proliferation of "unrated" DVD cuts of theatrical movies.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Somehow, I don't think this is how the rating system was meant to work.

Are we certain of this though?

Many measures are put in place as PC ways to simply stop something.

Incenjucar on
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Indeed, there are several notable films that were rated 'X', the best known being Midnight Cowboy.

Uhhh...
    A Clockwork Orange too?

Ramen Noodle on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Except that if you look at the initial period of the MPAA system, there was no real problem using the 'X' rating, and you saw several major films of note receive it. Now, you don't see it at all. I think the main contributor was the backlash against some of the explicit films that came out into general release in the 70's.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Except that if you look at the initial period of the MPAA system, there was no real problem using the 'X' rating, and you saw several major films of note receive it. Now, you don't see it at all. I think the main contributor was the backlash against some of the explicit films that came out into general release in the 70's.

probably cuz it doesn't exist anymore

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Indeed, there are several notable films that were rated 'X', the best known being Midnight Cowboy.

Uhhh...
    A Clockwork Orange too?

That had a version edited in order to get an R rating in order to get more theatres to screen it. Midnight Cowboy wasn't very popular until it got rereleased with an R rating.

Couscous on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Studios that cut content in order to edge under an NC-17 rating are just reacting to market pressures.

Exactly.

Shinto on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Studios that cut content in order to edge under an NC-17 rating are just reacting to market pressures.

Exactly.

I don't disagree here, but at the same time, the reason there is no market for NC-17 movies is because most theatres refuse to show them. Can't really make money on a product that no one wants to sell.

YodaTuna on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Exactly.

I don't disagree here, but at the same time, the reason there is no market for NC-17 movies is because most theatres refuse to show them. Can't really make money on a product that no one wants to sell.

That's a good point - the theaters could not just be reacting to only a few people wanting to see those movies - they could be concerned about their reputation and driving away people who would not be interested in seeing an NC-17 movie anyway.

Shinto on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Exactly.

That's a good point - the theaters could not just be reacting to only a few people wanting to see those movies - they could be concerned about their reputation and driving away people who would not be interested in seeing an NC-17 movie anyway.

That's true. That's also the reason Blockbuster won't stock NC-17 movies, but will happily stock unrated movies with NC-17-level content. They want to be seen as a family-friendly chain.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.