As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture Rocks. Except for Stupid Po-Mo Bullshit.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    It started out as a means of later modernist design with was hoped to address the shortfalls of modernism but then it basically decided to hell with formalization and went with Venturi to strange new places. You might be confusing late modernism with post modernism. PoMo is meant to be oranmented, stylistic, and witty. Often making a statement about the building, it's use, or just for the hell of it in a fairly literal manner.

So when someone just makes something retardedly bizarre that has no deeper meaning, what's that? Dadaism? Or just "stupid"?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    What are the principles of pomo architecture, exactly?

Essentially it's to make a joke with the building through architectural stylings and design that other people who are versed in arch history, or people who aren't at times, will be able to understand. When a building is shaped like it's name implies, that's a PoMo building. It's huge in Vegas and amusement parks such as some of the crappier new hotels in Disney, many of which were designed by Michael Graves who can choke on a dick.

That being the case, what the hell is the "joke" that Podly's original building is trying to convey? "Ha ha curves!"?

I think moniker's definition of Postmodern architecture is pretty limited, but I am really afraid to say it because I know absolutely nothing, save for a few blips here and there, whereas he has like a thousand degrees and wears cool suits.

I always interpreted pomo as "weird for the sake of being weird", which is somewhat looser than moniker's definition, and encompasses stupid buildings like this one:

ocad.jpg

That is meant as a slap towards Corbu and his 5 ideals in architecture. The extreme pilotis mock him while the square windows checkered along the sides take his horizontal bands out behind the woodshed. There's probably other stuff too, but I'd rather not look at that for much longer if I can help it.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It started out as a means of later modernist design with was hoped to address the shortfalls of modernism but then it basically decided to hell with formalization and went with Venturi to strange new places. You might be confusing late modernism with post modernism. PoMo is meant to be oranmented, stylistic, and witty. Often making a statement about the building, it's use, or just for the hell of it in a fairly literal manner.

So when someone just makes something retardedly bizarre that has no deeper meaning, what's that? Dadaism? Or just "stupid"?

You're probably of some Deconstructivist buildings. Gehry is big with that, so's Libeskind and Zaha. Some of their buildings are actually impressive and pretty nice aesthetically and spatially, but others are just stupid.

moniker on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

But the problem is lots of people are quick to label shit as retardedly bizarre when in fact it has some kind of coherent meaning that they're just not willing to take the time to understand, thus leading to all kinds of shit -- meaningless or no -- getting labled post-modern.

I think the real thing is that people need to learn that post-modernism isn't a slur word, it's a wholly legitimate philosophical and aesthetic insight even if it does often just lead to empty, hedonistic navel-gazing. Like many things, the foundation is perfectly solid, it just gets over-extended when people start catching on.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I always interpreted pomo as "weird for the sake of being weird", which is somewhat looser than moniker's definition, and encompasses stupid buildings like this one:

ocad.jpg

bah!

You've got no taste.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Libeskind
    That's the dude who did the museum.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a better word to describe the act of making an entire building into a giant, concrete in-joke than "stupid".

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Libeskind

The one that Jeffe linked? Also, architects don't always stick to one aesthetic and pound it into the ground until its wimpering husk prays for death. 'Starchitects' tend to, but not all of them.

I <3 Renzo Piano

moniker on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hrmm...you make it sound like some sort of neo-Rococo, PC.

Wit and play are certainly an element of Gehry's MIT housing space,the Strata building. However, there is a definitive assertion of the buildings autonomy from its environment. It is almost antagonistic.

19637915_7221d05918.jpg

Image.77509.1.s.jpg

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I kinda like that one.

Yar on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Buildings like that just look like wasted space to me. Unnecessary complication, extra space taken up, greater cost.

I mean obviously they are considered "art". It just seems like stupid art to me. You can be artistic in architecture without being retarded. See: that massive sailboat shaped hotel in Dubai.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

But the problem is lots of people are quick to label shit as retardedly bizarre when in fact it has some kind of coherent meaning that they're just not willing to take the time to understand, thus leading to all kinds of shit -- meaningless or no -- getting labled post-modern.

I think the real thing is that people need to learn that post-modernism isn't a slur word, it's a wholly legitimate philosophical and aesthetic insight even if it does often just lead to empty, hedonistic navel-gazing. Like many things, the foundation is perfectly solid, it just gets over-extended when people start catching on.

No, PoMo isn't a very good basis for design in architecture. Philosophically it may be an okay frame of mind, but not when you're putting pencil to paper. Same thing goes for most Decon, especially since noone can explain just what the hell Decon is or is meant to be. I enjoy the critical regionalism approach and then throw in some modern design aesthetics to make it work. I think the big lesson people need to learn is that modernism wasn't all bad and you don't have to repeat the mistakes of Mies if you want to be considered modern. Also, that making everything look like a house is stupid and office parks shouldn't look like subdivisions.

moniker on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Libeskind
    The one that Jeffe linked?
    No, my museum, the ROM.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    I kinda like that one.
    As do I.

Plus, it makes giving directions so much easier. "Drive down until you reach a fucked-up building that looks like it's going to fall down on you. I'm room 504."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Architecture is the art most closely linked with capitol. Not all artistic statements should be statements of grace or bliss.

Thus, MIT, rolling in dough and not needing to impress anyone, can give the citizens of Boston a good, almost crude laugh.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

No kidding, a lot of the things that people love are post-modern and they don't even know it.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I was going to say I hate that building, but like you said it did help me in use of directions a few times.

Pretty expensive navigation reference though.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hrmm...you make it sound like some sort of neo-Rococo, PC.

Wit and play are certainly an element of Gehry's MIT housing space,the Strata building. However, there is a definitive assertion of the buildings autonomy from its environment. It is almost antagonistic.

19637915_7221d05918.jpg

Image.77509.1.s.jpg

That's not PoMo that's Decon. Personally I'm kinda iffy towards it. His rowhouse in Prague is really kickass, though.

180px-Prague_-_Dancing_House.jpg

You have to remember that this is at the end of a wall of like 50 of the exact same looking classical house.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Libeskind
    The one that Jeffe linked?
    No, my museum, the ROM.

Oh that, yeah. I really don't like Libeskind's designs either.

moniker on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

No, PoMo isn't a very good basis for design in architecture. Philosophically it may be an okay frame of mind, but not when you're putting pencil to paper. Same thing goes for most Decon, especially since noone can explain just what the hell Decon is or is meant to be. I enjoy the critical regionalism approach and then throw in some modern design aesthetics to make it work. I think the big lesson people need to learn is that modernism wasn't all bad and you don't have to repeat the mistakes of Mies if you want to be considered modern. Also, that making everything look like a house is stupid and office parks shouldn't look like subdivisions.
    I agree that the buildings it produces aren't the best, but I'm always of the mindset that if it's there, someone is going to explore it, and instead of just labeling it 'stupid' and moving on you can try to understand what produced it.

I dunno -- I think I just get annoyed when people say 'post-modern' to mean 'worthless' when that's just lazy thinking.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Since when is Deconstrutivism not postmodern?

That's like saying De Stilj and Modernism are completely different things.

They are. We aren't talking about philosophy or the design intent, we're talking about aesthetics and teh grouping/catalogueing thereof. Unless you want to break it down to brass tacks of 'they had a formalized structure' there's a huge difference between

250px-Barcelona.jpg

and

200px-Rietveld_chair_1.JPG

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I'm with Poldy -- since when was deconstruction not post-modern?

Since we're talking about architecture and design, not philosophy, it never was. It may have grown from post modernism, but it is something that is different from it.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Since when is Deconstrutivism not postmodern?

That's like saying De Stilj and Modernism are completely different things.

They are. We aren't talking about philosophy or the design intent, we're talking about aesthetics and teh grouping/catalogueing thereof. Unless you want to break it down to brass tacks of 'they had a formalized structure' there's a huge difference between

250px-Barcelona.jpg

and

200px-Rietveld_chair_1.JPG

Ok, but Rohe could also be considered a futurist/minimalist, no?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Since we're talking about architecture and design, not philosophy, it never was. It may have grown from post modernism, but it is something that is different from it.
    Yeah fuck architecture.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Image.77509.1.s.jpg

That building looks like it's trying to transform into a giant robot so it can destroy downtown.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yes, Mies was very much a minimalist. In fact he was a big proponent of the ideals of De Stijl philosophy which you can see in a few of his buildings, however, he never was tied too much to the formalization of De Stijl design.

I accept your apology.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I agree that the buildings it produces aren't the best, but I'm always of the mindset that if it's there, someone is going to explore it, and instead of just labeling it 'stupid' and moving on you can try to understand what produced it.

I dunno -- I think I just get annoyed when people say 'post-modern' to mean 'worthless' when that's just lazy thinking.

My stance is that whatever the merits of pomo as an art style or a philosophy, it almost invariably results in a stupid, ugly, inefficent, eyesore when applied to architecture. I mean hey, yeah, minimalism is cool too, but that doesn't mean I want a building that consists of nothing but a ceiling.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah fuck architecture.

The fact that you said that while in the confines of an architect's design made me giggle.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

My stance is that whatever the merits of pomo as an art style or a philosophy, it almost invariably results in a stupid, ugly, inefficent, eyesore when applied to architecture. I mean hey, yeah, minimalism is cool too, but that doesn't mean I want a building that consists of nothing but a ceiling.
    Well I guess I can agree with that. If I had my druthers we would just apply the Jetsons design philosophy to everything and call it a day.

• Options
    edited June 2007

Well, that's the thing. Architecture is a discipline which draws on so much of everything in the surrounding culture that its design could probably be a field of philosophy all its own. Besides, there are fairly objective and useful metrics that you can apply to architecture to see if a building fails or not in various respects. Aesthetics are subjective, but architecture is more than just sculpture at a grand scale.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yes, Mies was very much a minimalist. In fact he was a big proponent of the ideals of De Stijl philosophy which you can see in a few of his buildings, however, he never was tied too much to the formalization of De Stijl design.

I accept your apology.

Not really what I was going for though.

Cubusm:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Praha,_Výtoň,_kubistická_vila.jpg/800px-Praha%2C_Výtoň%2C_kubistická_vila.jpg[/IMG]

is Modernism, but also has it's own tradition, correct? It is the same throughout the arts: minimalism and abstract expressionism come from very different traditions, but are both thoroughly modern.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Cubusm:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Praha,_Výtoň,_kubistická_vila.jpg/800px-Praha%2C_Výtoň%2C_kubistická_vila.jpg[/IMG]

That's awful.

Why would you show me something so awful?

Someone needs to bring back art deco. Srsly.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I accept your apology.

Not really what I was going for though.

Cubusm:

is Modernism, but also has it's own tradition, correct? It is the same throughout the arts: minimalism and abstract expressionism come from very different traditions, but are both thoroughly modern.

We aren't discussing traditions or even design philosophy. The style which a building gets categorized into (rather loosely, often, since it probably has a handful of things it could rightfully be called) is based on the aesthetics of that building. The actual design and finished construction that came out of it. If you want to get semantic, yes, 'modernism' was a very loose and catch-all term for the time, but that hardly justifies calling a Decon design a Post Modernist building.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Architecture is swell. Po-mo sucks, though.

Discuss.

This thread sucks.

Architecture peaked in Roman times. Except for Howard Roark. That guy fuckin' rocks.

That Rand used an architect to embody her stupid screed is one of the primary, among many, reasons that I hate her so.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think it was pretty much wrapped up, actually.

Regardless, I <3 Renzo Piano.

I have to say that the Times Building REALLY disappoints in real life.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Architecture is something that I don't understand. My roommate in college is an art major and he would explain certain buildings on campus to me. And...I could understand what he said and how the buildings were different but I didn't entirely care.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    85m16_8.jpg

<3<3<3

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    85m16_8.jpg

<3<3<3

I've grown to really hate the Empire State Building. When you see both of them on a day to day basis, you can't help but wish the Chrysler building were taller.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think it was pretty much wrapped up, actually.

Regardless, I <3 Renzo Piano.

I have to say that the Times Building REALLY disappoints in real life.

Eh, the aesthetic of it wasn't all that impressive from the renderings (although it was an interesting concept) but the building is extremely green, which is almost impossible for skyscrapers. When it comes to cool looking towers that are fairly recent I'd have to say that the Hearst and the upcoming Chicago Spire are two of my favorites.

And, yeah, Chrysler totally kicks the Empire State Building's ass.

moniker on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    85m16_8.jpg

<3<3<3

I've grown to really hate the Empire State Building. When you see both of them on a day to day basis, you can't help but wish the Chrysler building were taller.

The Chrysler building was really a sight to behold. The ESB was kind of blah. In all ways but height.

ryuprecht on