As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should games feature characters that are bisexual/homosexual?

• Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    but yeah, no one would want to play as a gay dude. video games are marketed to youngish men, and who do they want to bang in the virtual world, busty prostitutes or toned twinks?

You're exaggerating for effect, right? You know the gays like playing games too, right?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jandaru wrote: »
    but yeah, no one would want to play as a gay dude. video games are marketed to youngish men, and who do they want to bang in the virtual world, busty prostitutes or toned twinks?

You're exaggerating for effect, right? You know the gays like playing games too, right?

I'm absolutely certain that Eddy knows that the gays like video games too.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh dear god the Yaoi

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    How often HAVE they had an "ethnic" protagonist who wasn't a stereotype reference...?

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is the classic example. Although, no-one's quite sure exactly what race she is.. I remember a good article about people interpreting her as Hispanic, Arabic, Indian, whathaveyou.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm disappointed that there isn't a scene in either of the God of War games where Kratos bangs three teenage boys for mucho experience.

Hoz on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    RPGs are probably the best place to introduce this.

That way, when homophobic parents get all uppity, you can point out that junior CHOSE the butt sex option.
    So basically Fable then?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    evilbob wrote: »

That way, when homophobic parents get all uppity, you can point out that junior CHOSE the butt sex option.
    So basically Fable then?

That game was great. I loved following up on a hard day of monster fighting by fucking my husband.

MrMister on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Also, there was that DS9 episode with Jadzia and that other Trill chick, although they qualify that with the premise that they were husband and wife in previous hosts.

You've just hit one of my pet peeves about Star Trek. The creators/writers pat themselves on the back endlessly for their fearless examination of hot-button issues and their progressive vision of a galaxy united in diversity and blah blah blah - but when it comes time to discuss any sort of alternative sexuality, they torturously hammer out the most strained, wilfully opaque sci-fi metaphor possible - a story wherein it is learned that one of our characters has actually hosted a benevolent parasite in his anus for twenty years but now has come the time of the hatching...

I hate that flavor of weaksauce, dishwater liberalism. One offhand mention of a male character's ex-boyfriends - or god forbid, some actual gay kissing - would be worth about fifteen Very Special Episodes.

You know what else I hate? Threads like this one, where the mention of Teh Gay inspires everyone to don their fucking conscientious critic berets: "well, I could deal with gayness in games - but only if it weren't crammed down my throat, or even better, implied but never mentioned. Ever." "I'd hate to see gay sexuality wilfully exploited for money by crass videogame designers. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to marry some girl in Fallout to use as an autocannon shield."

I'm sorry, but after thirty years of gaming and eight million busty tavern wenches and bubble-assed archaeologist supermodels, if a company somewhere decided just for the fuck of it to let a cutscene linger on a dude's oiled ass, I'd better not hear a single goddamn human being complaining.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    You've just hit one of my pet peeves about Star Trek. The creators/writers pat themselves on the back endlessly for their fearless examination of hot-button issues and their progressive vision of a galaxy united in diversity and blah blah blah - but when it comes time to discuss any sort of alternative sexuality, they torturously hammer out the most strained, wilfully opaque sci-fi metaphor possible - a story wherein it is learned that one of our characters has actually hosted a benevolent parasite in his anus for twenty years but now has come the time of the hatching...

I hate that flavor of weaksauce, dishwater liberalism. One offhand mention of a male character's ex-boyfriends - or god forbid, some actual gay kissing - would be worth about fifteen Very Special Episodes.

You know what else I hate? Threads like this one, where the mention of Teh Gay inspires everyone to don their fucking conscientious critic berets: "well, I could deal with gayness in games - but only if it weren't crammed down my throat, or even better, implied but never mentioned. Ever." "I'd hate to see gay sexuality wilfully exploited for money by crass videogame designers. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to marry some girl in Fallout to use as an autocannon shield."

I'm sorry, but after thirty years of gaming and eight million busty tavern wenches and bubble-assed archaeologist supermodels, if a company somewhere decided just for the fuck of it to let a cutscene linger on a dude's oiled ass, I'd better not hear a single goddamn human being complaining.

MrMister on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm replaying Fallout 1 at the moment, and just started noticing the character models. Ok, you're too far zoomed out to notice much more than skin colour, but you've got either white or black (or green, teehee!), and there's no black women. None. And only one black male character model (there may be a second one in the Brotherhood, but I haven't gotten that far). The rest are all honkies (with a wide variety of appearances), and the males outnumber the women even in NPCs. I'm like okay, does having no melanin or tits render you more resistant to radiation? Shouldn't there be some kind of handmaid's tale thing going on if women are so rare? Oh, and the only fat dude was a baddie. Super progressive! I recall it improving a little in the sequels, but not by much.

With the above in mind, I don't think gay/bi/other 'non-norm' characters should be featured, I just think they should be there. Without the OH WE'RE SO GODDAMN PROGRESSIVE LOOKIT fanfare that accompanies the appearance of minorities in many media - TV. movies, comics, games. I want developers to step back and just make sure that not all the characters in the game look like cliches. Make a totally random character some non-standard ethnicity/sexuality and then say nothing about it. No explanation for why they're there, in terms of their bodily appearance or sexuality, because there really doesn't need to be unless its central to the plot.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Duke Nukem: Forever Young

Come get some hun!

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

So basically Fable then?

That game was great. I loved following up on a hard day of monster fighting by fucking my husband.

We have had gays in RPGs since Japan entered the market. Bunch of fems with emotional imbalances.

What was the joke? I don't get it... O_o

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »

So basically Fable then?

We have had gays in RPGs since Japan entered the market. Bunch of fems with emotional imbalances.

Having emotions means you're gay.

Thanks for that, chief.

Furu on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited June 2007
    I think this is something that will inevitably happen as the gamer market matures. Fact is, the demographic is largely male and young. These are not people who are comfortable with homosexuality, because they've barely even started to figure out their sexuality period. I don't see this changing any time soon.

But thanks to things like the Wii, and just the inevitable aging of the gamer population, we will of course see more diversity and realism in games and game characters. I don't see how it couldn't happen. The game industry is an adolescent industry, and so it produces a great deal of adolescent material. This will change.

I guess what I'm saying is that "should or shouldn't" is really irrelevant. It will happen, but it's unlikely that it will happen in the next few years, and it's unlikely that efforts to force it would be very successful (at least in America).

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    The average age of gamers is 27. You'd think they'd have figured a few things out by now, given that a fair chunk of them have managed to reproduce.

I really don't think its about the customer demographics. Its just a lack of imagination on the part of developers. Its easy to assume everyone looks a bit like you.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    The average age of gamers is 27.

Woah. Really?
    You'd think they'd have figured a few things out by now, given that a fair chunk of them have managed to reproduce.

Since when has that meant anything?
    I really don't think its about the customer demographics. Its just a lack of imagination on the part of developers. Its easy to assume everyone looks a bit like you.

Still, 27 is fairly young, at least in comparison with the people who make stuff in other entertainment media.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I seem to recall reading that one of the characters in Clive Barkers new game being actively billed as a lesbian.

Not as controversial as a male homosexual character in your game but I found it kind of odd that in a game about time travelling psychic whatsis they're doing the whole 'hey guyz! lesbos!' angle.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    With the above in mind, I don't think gay/bi/other 'non-norm' characters should be featured, I just think they should be there. Without the OH WE'RE SO GODDAMN PROGRESSIVE LOOKIT fanfare that accompanies the appearance of minorities in many media - TV. movies, comics, games.

I know this happens cause they mean well, but yeah, it's getting ridiculous. Being black or gay is not an affliction to be discussed in hushed, reverent tones. When idiots say things like "I want it to be done tastefully" it's like they're saying there's something inherently tasteless about it.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I mostly play rpgs and I'm always seeing if you can actually get into a homosexual relationship. Fable was fun in that manner and you could cross-dress to boot, but the relationships are one dimensional and seem to just be stat building. The only one I've played in recent years that allowed you to seduce someone of the same gender was Jade Empire, but I think it only applied if your main character was female. SaGa frontier, especially Asellus' story, had a lot of blatant innuendo and I had a lot of fun in that game.
    Of course the story and gameplay should come first, but I don't mind if a character is prominently gay and crossdresses or the heroine is on a quest to save her girlfriend. Lots of games have homosexuals as side characters: Baldur's Gate II, for example, has a gay Romeo and Juliet though it's hard to tell from the pixels. I'd like a game where the main character could be unabashedly gay and a noble hero, if only just for mere recognition.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nah, you could romance the guy with Leonardo's voice as a dude.

It's just, y'know...Leonardo.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You shouldn't make a gay character just because there hasn't been one before, you should make one because somehow his sexual preference impacts on the game in a somewhat entertaining or critical way.

Would you say the same about race or sex?

Leitner on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Question regarding this matter:

What makes you think, lets say The Masterchief is heterosexual?
    As it is not relevant for the game, he could be anything.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »

He's effectively asexual, genetic enhancements he undergoes have the side affect of removing his sex drive.

What's your point though?

Leitner on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Leitner wrote: »

He's effectively asexual, genetic enhancements he undergoes have the side affect of removing his sex drive.

What's your point though?

My point is, that there are many games where the main character doesn't show any interest in any gender. My gut tells me most people will jump to the conclusion he/she's hetero, though.

I think it's wrong.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My point is, that there are many games where the main character doesn't show any interest in any gender. My gut tells me most people will jump to the conclusion he/she's hetero, though.

I think it's wrong.

I agree with you. I don't think that can really be changed though. When something goes unmentioned then people tend to either see it as the norm or whatever stereotype defines them as. For example people are always going to see the standard action hero as straight but highly effeminate male characters as gay.

Leitner on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We've had homosexual characters in games for years.

Have you looked at Mario, the guy's blatantly the missing Village Person. Ken, Ryu - both gay as a window. In fact, I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet that the entire cast of Streetfighter ride the other bus.

The real scandal here is the underrepresentation of bisexual nympho cheerleaders.

Gorak on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    snip.

<3

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    I have nothing against homo/bisexuals in games. But it shouldn't really matter unless their sexuality is important to the story, but game writing needs to take a step up before we can really start worrying about that.

I mean we don't know the sexuality of the vast majority of video game characters anyway.
    Enchanted Arms had a central flamboyant yaoi-type character as part of the story.

And he was obnoxious as fuck. I heard the English VO for him was even worse than the Japanese one.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Personally, I wish there was no romance at all in games. I'm sick of almost every TV show, movie, and book having a romance subplot. I don't want it happening in games too.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »
    I think this is something that will inevitably happen as the gamer market matures. Fact is, the demographic is largely male and young. These are not people who are comfortable with homosexuality, because they've barely even started to figure out their sexuality period. I don't see this changing any time soon.

But thanks to things like the Wii, and just the inevitable aging of the gamer population, we will of course see more diversity and realism in games and game characters. I don't see how it couldn't happen. The game industry is an adolescent industry, and so it produces a great deal of adolescent material. This will change.

I guess what I'm saying is that "should or shouldn't" is really irrelevant. It will happen, but it's unlikely that it will happen in the next few years, and it's unlikely that efforts to force it would be very successful (at least in America).

I think the Wii should have an unlicensed adult sex game. That'd be awesome.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Wasn't there some PS1 game called 'Fear' something that had a lesbian lead? Anyways, gaming needs more hot bisexual girls, you know that would sell! w00t

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm replaying Fallout 1 at the moment, and just started noticing the character models. Ok, you're too far zoomed out to notice much more than skin colour, but you've got either white or black (or green, teehee!), and there's no black women. None. And only one black male character model (there may be a second one in the Brotherhood, but I haven't gotten that far). The rest are all honkies (with a wide variety of appearances), and the males outnumber the women even in NPCs. I'm like okay, does having no melanin or tits render you more resistant to radiation? Shouldn't there be some kind of handmaid's tale thing going on if women are so rare? Oh, and the only fat dude was a baddie. Super progressive! I recall it improving a little in the sequels, but not by much.

Fallout 2 is hells of progressive. I got my lady married to another lady then pimped her out to a black guy! What more do you want?

Low Key on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You shouldn't make a gay character just because there hasn't been one before, you should make one because somehow his sexual preference impacts on the game in a somewhat entertaining or critical way.

Oh and umm, everyone is gay for bridget.

You actually defeat the end Boss by coming on to him Xerxes style, only he doesn't handle it all cool and shit like Leonidas, he slits his throat and jumps off his mighty 500 story throne, expoding into hundreds of little chunks just after he gurgles "Noooo, I've been infected by teh gays!"

What? Thats probably better than it would be handled if it were actually tried. A character cross between Vin Diesel and Carson from Queer Eye, trying to save the world from anti-gay law makers, where during a cut scene Cheney is killed by his own daughter, and naturally Bush is the main villain.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gay as a window?

I would like to see games with romances built into the story that weren't necessarily heterosexual. Of course, the main objective would be to have realistic relationships, but how different would FF8 have been if Squall and Seifer not only were rivals and always trying to show off, but there was also a level of romantic tension?

Hold on a second...

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "well, I could deal with gayness in games - but only if it weren't crammed down my throat, or even better, implied but never mentioned. Ever."
    You know a game that dealt with homosexuality well? The Longest Journey. The main character's landlord and super were a lesbian couple, and April (the protagonist) - who was born and raised in the rural Midwest, as far as I can recall - is completely comfortable with them, and even refers to them as a "cute couple". At no point does anybody in the game act any way or say anything that would imply that there was anything the least bit strange about their relationship.

Edit: I should note for those not aware that TLJ takes place a century or so in the future.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    RPGs are definitely the genre for this.

I love the addition of romances in RPGs. But they're optional, and people are never forced to play them. At least, this has been the case in all the RPGs I've played.

I'm surprised Jade Empire's only been mentioned once. In Jade Empire, you have three NPCs you can romance: 2 female, 1 male. One of the females and one of the males are available to a player character of either genre. It's not forced upon you but it's there if you want it.

You can play a male character and romance any of the three separately, or the two women together. You can play a female character and romance one of the women or the man. It's all quite tastefully done, too.

Janson on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is Jade Empire any good J? It is lying around at the place I'm looking after. I didn't even realise it was an rpg.

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You know a game that dealt with homosexuality well? The Longest Journey.

Good call, I'd completely forgotten that one.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    Is Jade Empire any good J? It is lying around at the place I'm looking after. I didn't even realise it was an rpg.

Hell yes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The only problem* with Jade Empire is that there's not enough of it. Would that more games could say that.

*besides the voice of Leonardo

Jacobkosh on