As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Warcraft 3 or something else

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Less riling up the french people, more playing.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just got back from Transformers which was too exciting.. and I just got a job. I missing sitting around at home doing nothing like the first 50 days of summer. I'll play with you all sometime this week.

You're still a baby.

Thanks defender. Used my base to rip a stupid ass archmage into little bits of mana.

Fucker.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That was such a fun dota game.

We played one and destroyed, then the next game we decided to dick around

Pooled our starter cash together to make a crow, then started farming, while buying nothing for our own heroes.

After we got enough, we bought a soul booster, and a dagon.

We gave it to the crow.

End of the game, I was 3-1 (with no items) my friend brandon was 2-0, and my other friend brendan was 2-2

The crow was 17-0.

Javen on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just got back from Transformers which was too exciting.. and I just got a job. I missing sitting around at home doing nothing like the first 50 days of summer. I'll play with you all sometime this week.

You're still a baby.

Thanks defender. Used my base to rip a stupid ass archmage into little bits of mana.

Fucker.

Oh good, IM me the replay if you have it.

Defender on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Javen wrote: »

Pooled our starter cash together to make a crow, then started farming, while buying nothing for our own heroes.

We gave it to the crow.

End of the game, I was 3-1 (with no items) my friend brandon was 2-0, and my other friend brendan was 2-2

The crow was 17-0.

What's a crow?

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played a game this morning. I harassed with Blademaster and destroyed wisps and shit. And then there were some towers waiting for him a bit outside his base the second time I harassed. That was fun.

And yeah, I'm a baby. I don't care.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Uuuuuugh, tower rush. =_=

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's only a once every now and then thing. When I'm really bored.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey, if you don't like getting tower rushed, don't let the guy build towers there.

EDIT: Night elf is a great race to use tower rush against.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »

We gave it to the crow.

The crow was 17-0.

What's a crow?

Buy a chicken, buy the crow recipe, bam, flying courier. Grab items from the secret shop without those pesky enemies killing it and taking your goods. Though, if you're buying from there, why not just do it yourself? Seriously, there's two shops on the map, unless you're sitting in the bas, you're hardly far from either of them.

Or you could do crazy tactics like the one Javen is talking about.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I've been playing through the single player campaign for the first time. When it first came out, I played it some, but never really gave it that much effort, and now I'm really, really enjoying it. It is fun to see the backstory of WoW unfold, and the gameplay itself is far, far better than I had remembered.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    sarukun wrote: »
    Uuuuuugh, tower rush. =_=

It's totally okay to tower an elf.

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Never trust an elf.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are people playing now?

Defender, I still want a game with you sometime.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How would the lag be for an european playing on the american servers?

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Docshifty wrote: »

We gave it to the crow.

The crow was 17-0.

What's a crow?

Buy a chicken, buy the crow recipe, bam, flying courier. Grab items from the secret shop without those pesky enemies killing it and taking your goods. Though, if you're buying from there, why not just do it yourself? Seriously, there's two shops on the map, unless you're sitting in the bas, you're hardly far from either of them.

I haven't tried using couriers yet. I'll have to play some more friendly games with people from here so I can get more experience. I'm starting to see how some of the mechanics work, but damn there are a lot of heroes to learn.

Basically, if you're an agi or str hero, you pretty frequently want YnS early? Yes?

I'm not really sure what to do with int heroes. I built a couple of mana regen items but I couldn't figure out what else to do.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

We gave it to the crow.

The crow was 17-0.

What's a crow?

I haven't tried using couriers yet. I'll have to play some more friendly games with people from here so I can get more experience. I'm starting to see how some of the mechanics work, but damn there are a lot of heroes to learn.

Basically, if you're an agi or str hero, you pretty frequently want YnS early? Yes?

I'm not really sure what to do with int heroes. I built a couple of mana regen items but I couldn't figure out what else to do.

SnY was something I always, always built in pub games but I see less and less of in TDA games. It's still not a bad item, but it's not an always sort of thing.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You need to upgrade until you have FIFTY WIENERS

Defender on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I might play in a bit.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only heroes I go S&Y on are Bounty Hunter and Silent Assassin.
    Everyone else you’re spending somewhere around 6000 gold for +32 damage.
    Yes, a chance to maim and a little bit of run speed are nice, but Dota is a team game, and when you’re in a big team battle, slows and disables will be provided for you. Someone who built two bracers and a desolator will be infinitely more valuable to his team then someone with S&Y.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

We gave it to the crow.

The crow was 17-0.

What's a crow?

Euch, I never get SnY. The only reason I would ever get it is for maim, but even then I would probably just opt for a basher. SnY is just too expensive and its stats are all over the place.

Personally speaking, first recipe item I always almost tech to is boots of travel. They increase your chasing potential, your escape potential, and your farming potential. There is absolutely no hero that does not benefit greatly from boots of travel. Since this holds true, never get power treads. There will be a lot of temptation to get them because you can get them early and the attack speed increase is decent, but boots of travel combined with a hyperstone gives better bonuses and will lead you far better into the late game than treads.

Another all purpose item is perseverance. Ring of health (875) + void stone (900) and it makes it automatically. Health regen is incredibly valuable for early game, as going back to heal early game creates a gap in money/experience that is hard to make up.

For int heroes, Guinsoos Scythe of Vyse is good for the +damage and polymorph ability, and Aghanim's scepter increases the potency of most int heroes ultimate abilities.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ah, see, I got bounty hunter and silent assassin in a couple of my random games

I'll keep checking out the recipes, I suppose. There are a lot of friggin things to sort through. Hard to tell what items go good with which hero.

Here's one: What would you get for the pandaren dude with the lightning abilities? Raijin or whatever they named him.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'll keep checking out the recipes, I suppose. There are a lot of friggin things to sort through. Hard to tell what items go good with which hero.

Here's one: What would you get for the pandaren dude with the lightning abilities? Raijin or whatever they named him.

Well I would get Overload/Attribute points but since you're a new player it would be worth it to invest in his shield skill.

EDIT: And since his ulti doesn't do damage and I don't think it stacks with Aghanims, I would pick up Guinsoos Scythe.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Well I would get Overload/Attribute points but since you're a new player it would be worth it to invest in his shield skill.

EDIT: And since his ulti doesn't do damage and I don't think it stacks with Aghanims, I would pick up Guinsoos Scythe.

Dude, his ults awesome. So what if it doesn't do damage, hero zip line! And it actually has uses. Good for finishing runners, initiating a gank, getting your team into position, getting out of a bad encounter.
    Oh, and Rave is fucking awesome. The mana cost is negligible considering he's an int hero, and it makes creeping/killing towers a fucking breeze. Barrier isn't anything to scoff at either. It makes nukers like Zeus and Lina a joke early game and they aren't exactly deadly when you're hittin the throne.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I did like how the ult pulled good guys with me. Seems like a neat way to finish off someone.

I noticed one problem, though. At one point when I grappled a few of my dudes inside of the enemy's base, the treants stopped pathing towards the throne. They just sat there. Hmph.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I did like how the ult pulled good guys with me. Seems like a neat way to finish off someone.

It can be greatness. Pull their team into a Black hole or an epi. Hell, get one last kick in a game that you're losing and pull all of the bastards into your fountain. Its like a dota 'fuck you'.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    man I just got geomancer for the first time

holy shit do I love that little guy

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    man I just got geomancer for the first time

holy shit do I love that little guy

Curse that little fucker. CURSE HIM!

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Dude, his ults awesome. So what if it doesn't do damage, hero zip line! And it actually has uses. Good for finishing runners, initiating a gank, getting your team into position, getting out of a bad encounter.
    Oh, and Rave is fucking awesome. The mana cost is negligible considering he's an int hero, and it makes creeping/killing towers a fucking breeze. Barrier isn't anything to scoff at either. It makes nukers like Zeus and Lina a joke early game and they aren't exactly deadly when you're hittin the throne.

You completely misunderstood what I said. He asked for item builds, and since his ulti is completely unaffected by Aghanims, it makes the item totally useless to get. Rave is decent, I suppose, but I'd still buy pluses before it.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

You completely misunderstood what I said. He asked for item builds, and since his ulti is completely unaffected by Aghanims, it makes the item totally useless to get. Rave is decent, I suppose, but I'd still buy pluses before it.

Man you dudes are playing Storm Spirit all wrong. Build that fucker to spit out damage like it's his job. Overload, always max ASAP. Get Rave to 1 or 2, then a couple stats, then up it to 3 and 4. Get reflection if you're against heavy magic nukers, but aside from that I mostly ignore it. Overload is great damage, and rave lets you farm really well - pretty damn low mana cost, especially if you're not casting other spells. His grapple ultimate makes him perfect to chase down heros melee, or to escape. And let's not forget he has 600 range attack and a pretty fast base run speed.

Item wise, it depends on how the farm is going, but usually I'll build a bracer, a ring of regen, and boots, then immediately start building MKB. When that's finished, try a deso or crystalys / buriza. After that grab a Heart of Tarr. or Boots of travel.

Seriously, built as a battle mage, storm spirit can bring the god damn pain.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Man you dudes are playing Storm Spirit all wrong. Build that fucker to spit out damage like it's his job. Overload, always max ASAP. Get Rave to 1 or 2, then a couple stats, then up it to 3 and 4. Get reflection if you're against heavy magic nukers, but aside from that I mostly ignore it. Overload is great damage, and rave lets you farm really well - pretty damn low mana cost, especially if you're not casting other spells. His grapple ultimate makes him perfect to chase down heros melee, or to escape. And let's not forget he has 600 range attack and a pretty fast base run speed.

Item wise, it depends on how the farm is going, but usually I'll build a bracer, a ring of regen, and boots, then immediately start building MKB. When that's finished, try a deso or crystalys / buriza. After that grab a Heart of Tarr. or Boots of travel.

Seriously, built as a battle mage, storm spirit can bring the god damn pain.

Eh, too little life for too long. And with an okay natural move speed and grapple, why bots? Treads would serve better overall. Oh, and thanks to Rave, he's a fuckawesome hero for bashers. Really, throw two of thos babies in after the mkb and it'll be glorious.

And, yeah, Javen, I misinterpreted. When he asked what to get I assumed skills. Def a duinsoo. Dmg and a hex? yes please. The hex is better now that they removed the purge.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm not saying don't get rave, I'm saying don't get it that early. You're not going to get that much use out of it early on, since the only time it might help your farming skills is once you max it out, and you definitely won't be using it for early game hero killing. Save the money you would spend on buying shitty bracers, and substitute it for pluses. Swap overload/attributes while grabbing your ulti at level 6, THEN once you have overload capped and your ulti, max out rave asap.

EDIT: Unless you absolutely HAVE TO get a Null/Bracer/Wraith always go for the null. Always.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm not saying don't get rave, I'm saying don't get it that early. You're not going to get that much use out of it early on, since the only time it might help your farming skills is once you max it out, and you definitely won't be using it for early game hero killing. Save the money you would spend on buying shitty bracers, and substitute it for pluses. Swap overload/attributes while grabbing your ulti at level 6, THEN once you have overload capped and your ulti, max out rave asap.

If people aren't expecting it you can frontload some nice damage. And depending on who you're laned with it can be the difference in early hero killing. I mean, if I'm paired with VS who's gotten command aura, hell yes I'm getting rave. With her stun and swap, the number of attacks you can put out will be vicious(Note: This assumes you go for treads over BoTs). It'll net you some nice early game income, set their heroes back and put the other players on edge. No down side there.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

EDIT: Unless you absolutely HAVE TO get a Null/Bracer/Wraith always go for the null. Always.

Disregarding opinion... now.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Eh, too little life for too long. And with an okay natural move speed and grapple, why bots? Treads would serve better overall. Oh, and thanks to Rave, he's a fuckawesome hero for bashers. Really, throw two of thos babies in after the mkb and it'll be glorious.

And, yeah, Javen, I misinterpreted. When he asked what to get I assumed skills. Def a duinsoo. Dmg and a hex? yes please. The hex is better now that they removed the purge.

The only hero that should ever buy treads is Furion.

Ever.

BoT helps so much with farming, escape, and lane assistance late game that it is a must-have items on essentially every hero by late game.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    But even being paired with a best case scenario like Vengeful Spirit, you won't be getting much use out of it until she learns her ulti, which is more or less around the same time where you should be getting rave anyway. Basically until your item build starts coming together, you're an intelligence hero with no straight up nukes. Which means you're going to be the one they go for in a group fight. You want to buy the skills that will be benefiting you the most at the time you learn them. And the fact is in those early levels you're not going to be getting much from rave, so why get it? Learn it when you can use it to its full potential.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So wait, you want to get bracers instead of null talismans for an intelligence hero that gets all his damage from regular attacks?

That might work with Necolic since he has the potential to be a tank, but not so much with Panda. The extra hps are all but wasted, and it just seems a silly choice since you could swap it out for extra damage for the same amount of cash.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    To be fair, I've only played one game of .44 or .45. I'm basing everything off of theorycraft and observations, so you may be right, I just can't see the reasoning in buying a bracer for a hero that is designed to be a ranged damage/chaser.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So wait, you want to get bracers instead of null talismans for an intelligence hero that gets all his damage from regular attacks?

That might work with Necolic since he has the potential to be a tank, but not so much with Panda. The extra hps are all but wasted, and it just seems a silly choice since you could swap it out for extra damage for the same amount of cash.

The "extra damage" gained from a null talisman vs. a bracer is exactly 3. However, the extra HP brought in by a bracer is much, much more significant, especially early game. You should never really be relying on nulls, bracers, or wraiths to supply you with damage for your hero; that's what stuff like MKB, Deso, Buriza, etc. are for. The only reason for the bracer is the extra HP it provides in the beginning, and since he is an int hero you are trying to play as a battlemage, the HP comes in handy. They are most certainly not wasted.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    so what I'm hearing is that there's no right way

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.