As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mother 3: It's never coming out in America, cry more.

Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Mother 3, and to a lesser extent, the Mother 1+2 compilation have been sore spots on the western gamer for a number of years now. Back in the halycon days when Mother 3 was a glint in the N64 Disk Drive's eye, Nintendo Power covered the shit out of it. As it slowly slipped platform, it's western coverage slipped to. Then the very vocal Earthbound/Mother fanbase started complaining. Letter writing, internet petitions, you name it. Now, it has become a bit more serious.

From ye olde Silconera

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/06/28/earthbound-fans-don’t-quit-they-demand-mother-3/
Silconera wrote:
The collective community of Mother/Earthbound fans at Starmen.net banded together to launch a campaign to bring Mother 3 outside of Japan. For the past few weeks members have been mailing envelopes to Nintendo with Earthbound fan art, circulating Earthbound propaganda posters on the internet and organized a flood of phone calls to Nintendo requesting a new Mother game. I admire the amount of passion the fans over at Starmen have for the Earthbound series and their clever timing. They started the campaign on May 13, 2007… Mothers Day!

This isn’t slacktivism with an online petition that no one will care about, it’s activism. Will Nintendo hear their cries and see an open market for a Nintendo DS port of Mother 3? For all the fervent Earthbound fans out there, I sure hope so!

I have always believed that Mother 3 was in our future. I think that if this really takes off Nintendo will finally relent. Still, good for the fanbase to try something a bit more conventional.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
Xenogears of Bore on

• NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah. This will never happen. Nintendo (for some retarded fucking reason) just doesn't want to do this.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    The least they could do is put Earthbound out on the VC soon... :|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    NOR wrote: »
    Yeah. This will never happen. Nintendo (for some retarded fucking reason) just doesn't want to do this.

I'm a pretty big optimist, and I think its more of a when they get around to it sort of thing. Then again, I've been saying the same thing for two years and the GBA isn't exactly want one would call a dominant platform any more.

Still, a DS port of all three games would be GLORIOUS. I'd gladly pay $35 each for untouched ports.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

IN EUROPE!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll clutch my cart of Earthbound to my chest and try to ignore this..... I don't wanna get burned again.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited June 2007
    I find this badgering from the Earthbound community really embarrassing.

I don't give a rats ass about Mother, so all I'm content to point and laugh at all the dorks who keep doing these insane Mother campaigns that never succeed..

Dareth Ram on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Good for you.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I find this badgering from the Earthbound community really embarrassing.

I don't give a rats ass about Mother, so all I'm content to point and laugh at all the dorks who keep doing these insane Mother campaigns that never succeed..

Yeah, well, fuck you and get out

ronzo on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This almost certainly won't change Nintendo's mind, but it's admirable they're trying.

They either will or won't, for whatever business reasons of theirs, but the fact is, a cult following doesn't equal a financial success for a company like NoA. It usually means the exact opposite.

If they ever localize it, it won't be because of their efforts, but it's still respectable. I think everyone can relate to not having a game they love localized, though not everyone's willing to go to these lengths to get their views known.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They're tying up Nintendo's phone lines, costing them money as they lose service level.
    This will destroy Nintendo in five years of constant calling.
    In other words, DOOM.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2007
    I apologize, that was inflammatory. Still, I am kind of disgusted. The lengths the Starman community goes to push their agenda seems almost like harassment to me.

I mean one bazillion signature campaign, a massive call in campaign, and now a combination of the two...

Dareth Ram on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I apologize, that was inflammatory. Still, I am kind of disgusted. The lengths the Starman community goes to push their agenda seems almost like harassment to me.

I mean one bazillion signature campaign, a massive call in campaign, and now a combination of the two...

It's not like they've done PK Ransom... yet.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

IN EUROPE!

I don't mean to be a jerk but... well, we're asking for a miracle here as it is.

Hevach on
    edited June 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

It's not like they've done PK Ransom... yet.
    Based on some Earthbound fans I know, I wouldn't be surprised if Starman.net did just that.

Dareth Ram on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    if mother 3 comes out in america, i will get my entire back tattooed with earthbound things.
    i do want mother 3 to come out here, i just know it will never happen because nintendo likes to punch me in the balls

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited June 2007
    Hevach wrote: »

IN EUROPE!

I don't mean to be a jerk but... well, we're asking for a miracle here as it is.

What, just for Earthbound? It'll come to US VC eventually, that's for sure. All I'm asking is that they give it a wider release.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Sinister CheshireSinister Cheshire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah lets bring Mother 3 over to the states. I cant say how many times I played Earthbound and when I was younger cried over the loss of further games from the series.

but for fecks sake people....and Im saying this as a unverisal.

WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERY DAMN RE-RELEASED RPG COME OUT FOR A FREAKING HANDHELD.

Seriously. I dont own a DS, I dont have time to play in the car. I dont like to play on a mini screen. I want to play a 50 hour rpg ON A DAMN TELEVISION with freaking surround sound so good my house shakes just from me pressing "Load Saved Game"

I dont understand why they keep putting Final Fantasy on the DS. Just release the damn game for PS2 or Xbox 360 or the Wii for christs sake. I'll buy the lousy old style controller just to play them.

::fume::

Sinister Cheshire on
  • WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Seriously. I dont own a DS, I dont have time to play in the car. I dont like to play on a mini screen. I want to play a 50 hour rpg ON A DAMN TELEVISION with freaking surround sound so good my house shakes just from me pressing "Load Saved Game"

Wembley on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This just in: Video games cult following doesn't know when to say die.

More as it develops (it won't)

Javen on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wembley wrote: »

Has nobody told you? Handhelds are the new consoles.
    I hear they print money.

Tig on
  • Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wish that they'd release the translation patch already.

I mean, protesting is cool and all, but in order to really get a corporation's attention you gotta hit 'em in the wallet.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Sacred CowSacred Cow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i think one big reason its not coming to the states is because nintendo has pretty much stopped support for the GBA. mother 3 is gba right? i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure nintendo wouldn't squander any DS opportunities in the states.

Sacred Cow on
    SacredCowJebus.png

SSB code- 0216-0856-6886 PM me so I can add you
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Starmen.net has a donation drive thing going right now. They've at about $6000, at this point, and are going to use it in the next phase of their plan. They've apparently got something awesome in the works, but the only way to find out what it is ... is to donate.

I know one of the Starmen.net dudes, and I know someone that donated, and they both say it is really rad what they've got in store.

Seta 3000 on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah lets bring Mother 3 over to the states. I cant say how many times I played Earthbound and when I was younger cried over the loss of further games from the series.

but for fecks sake people....and Im saying this as a unverisal.

WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERY DAMN RE-RELEASED RPG COME OUT FOR A FREAKING HANDHELD.

I dont understand why they keep putting Final Fantasy on the DS. Just release the damn game for PS2 or Xbox 360 or the Wii for christs sake. I'll buy the lousy old style controller just to play them.

::fume::

I think it's mostly because the low resolution and simple sprites, combined with the simple control scheme make them work well on a handheld. Don't get me wrong I'd love to play them all on my big screen tv again but I think that bringing them to handhelds first was a logical choice.

Back on topic, I don't think we'll ever see any official Mother 3 but if these guys are going to keep trying, more power to them. Shine on you crazy diamonds, shine on.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I love having RPG rereleases on handhelds - DS releases especially. Being able to just close the DS when the subway gets to my stop without needing to worry about what I'm in the middle of is awesome for an RPG, where I may be mid-dungeon with nary a save point in sight. I just wish that GBA games suspended when you closed the DS...

dopplex on
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I dunno. They missed the boat with a GBA release, they'd never release the GBA Mother carts as-is now, it'd have to be a DS port which means lots of extra work. I'd eat a turd if nintendo released a DS game using only one screen.

I am pisssssed it didn't come out in the US, but eh, I'll check back in a year and see how the fan translations turned out.

I would be sooo happy if it hit as Wii-ware, though I know how assy it'd look blown up, case in point GC GBA player.

Mashalot on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Having imported both Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 months ago, I'd love to see these come out here. It's just not fair. :(

It's not like Nintendo has a hell of a lot of RPGs.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a feeling the translation patch will be done before Nintendo actually decides to localize it.

Ah well, we'll all be able to play Mother 3 so long as Cease&Desist orders don't start flying around.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pretty sure you can't send out Cease and Desist's for translations. They have been done for years now, I've never heard of one being shut down. Giving away patch .ips is perfectly legal.

Burtletoy on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The thing is, most translations have been done years upon years after the game has been released, and the console is dead. See: Seiken Densetsu 3.

The GBA isn't completely dead yet, and the game has only been out for a year or so.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What about the non-official translations for pokemon gold and silver that came out before the official ones? they were hosted quite frequently.

Burtletoy on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    This just in: Video games cult following doesn't know when to say die.

More as it develops (it won't)

A cult doesn't know when to say die? That's a first.

Anyway, wish Nintendo would just cut these guys a break, already. They've released worse, I'm sure. Wario: Master of Disguise didn't even rank well in Nintendo Power, for example...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wonder if it were to come over on the DS or something, would it really sell all that well? Sure, some of the hardcore folks will snatch it up, but it really doesn't have the name recognition the FF GBAs had or anything.

Darlan on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe if they boasted the connection to Smash Bros...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    Starmen.net has a donation drive thing going right now. They've at about $6000, at this point, and are going to use it in the next phase of their plan. They've apparently got something awesome in the works, but the only way to find out what it is ... is to donate.

I know one of the Starmen.net dudes, and I know someone that donated, and they both say it is really rad what they've got in store.

It is rad. :D And you haven't seen nothing yet. That $6000 is going to good use.

Do us all a favor and buy Earthbound for the Virtual Console when it comes out. A little birdy told me that this is our very last chance. (There were other chances, but you wouldn't believe them if I told you.)

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ROFISH wrote: »
    Seta 3000 wrote: »

It is rad. :D And you haven't seen nothing yet. That $6000 is going to good use.

Do us all a favor and buy Earthbound for the Virtual Console when it comes out. A little birdy told me that this is our very last chance. (There were other chances, but you wouldn't believe them if I told you.)
    Tell us anyway.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For real.

Mashalot on
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's a few problems with going public with some of our ideas. Don't worry though, because we'll always tell you in the end. (BTW, that's from the time when we could've bought the beta N64 Mother 3.)

But do buy EB on VC. I can't blindly parrot it enough. ;)

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's no reason to not listen to this man.

I mean, even IF buying does nothing to help the chances of Mother 3 getting localized, you've still got Earthbound on the VC.

Seriously. It's a win/not-quite-AS-win-but-still-win situation.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
    edited June 2007
    There's a few problems with going public with some of our ideas. Don't worry though, because we'll always tell you in the end. (BTW, that's from the time when we could've bought the beta N64 Mother 3.)

I will if Nintendo will let me...

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif