As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NO YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HIJACK AGAIN (BEGINNER GUITAR ADVICE PLZ)

FloFlo Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, I'm going to hijack this thread once more. I'm going to a few of the guitar stores in my city tomorrow and I need some advice on the following:

I want to learn to play an electric guitar, what kind of lessons should I start with? (books, online, dvd, etc.)

What brands should I stay away from?

Are there certain features I should be looking for being a beginner?

Is there a way to practice listening through headphones? (I would like to practice late at night as well without disturbing others in my house.)

Finally, I'm looking for any other advice you guys may have. Thanks again.

Flo on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    For fuck's sakes, you're almost completely off topic from the other thread now, there's no shortage of new threads, and you're not going to hop in and get in the way of someone else getting the advice they were looking for.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fender Squier stratocaster electric.

They're about $150. They're a good, solid beginners electric.

GET LESSONS. Not dvd's, not books, get lessons with a real teacher. This is the quickest, easiest way to learn depending on who teaches you.

As for headphones, I think they make them, but with an electric, you can play it unplugged, and you will hear it still. It will be muted, and quiet, but you'll be able to clearly make out the chords and the notes that you won't need to have the sound amplified.

Get a Korg tuner, plenty of packs of strings, you will break the high e several times. A good amount of picks, I have a small apartment, but damned if I know where mine go.

And marshall makes some good small amps. Not clip on your belt small, but 2x2 box amps.

So there you have it;

Fender Squier Strat

Marshall Amp

LESSONS

LESSONS

LESSONS WITH A TEACHER

TEACHER

TEACHER

Krog tuner

Picks

A few packs of extra strings.

I really, really stress the teacher thing.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    even if you only get a teacher for three or four lessons it almost definitely will stop you developing bad habits at the start of your playing time which can be VERY difficult to rectify when you're more experienced

Quirk on