Options

Vista file/folder permissions problems

taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My computer has 5 harddrives in it, recently I wiped my xp partition and installed vista. The problem is all of my file storage partitions won't recognize the administrator accounts on the new vista install as the owner, or let it modify permissions. I've tried changing the permissions of the drives themselves and giving the administrators group full control, and doing the same for every folder underneath the main drive but while i can change the drive and folder permissions, the individual files in the folders wont change/ wont let me change their permissions. So all my files have the Everyone group with read and execute, and read access and thats it. Anyone know how i can regain full control for all my files? (I cant change the permissions in safe mode either)

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
taliosfalcon on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's likely that you'll need to take ownership of the files first. Here are instructions from Microsoft. (Expand the instructions under "
    I installed a new version of Windows and now I can't open a folder.")

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    nope, my account is already the owner of the folders all the files are in, i can open the folder no problem, even open and view the files, i just can't change or modify them in any way.

edit: ahh got it, i missed the "replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendants with inheritable permissions form this object" checkbox

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    mmurch01mmurch01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I fucking HATE vista thus far. I bought it (seriously) and I want to go back to my nice shiny copy of XP. I recommend, if you can return it, do it. Wait until they have worked the shittiness out of it. XP had the same initial 'God, this bothers me' period as well but smoothed out quite nicely over time. Good luck either way.

mmurch01 on