As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Confessions of a Gamer

unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Essentially this thread goes like this:

What games and related things have you absolutely refused to play even though it's seen as God's gift to the world?

What popular games can't you stand at all?

What annoys you about modern gaming (e.g. level design, repetivity, etc.)

I'll probably be burned for this but I've never played a single Zelda game in my life. I just don't see what the big fuss is about, but I'm starting to thinking whether I should or not (and if so, which one?)

Also, I've never played Doom.

Discuss.

unpurposed on

• Options
    Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Get Twilight Princess. Now.

Doom didn't age well

Cornell002 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the longest time, I never got around to playing a GTA game. I eventually bought San Andreas on the cheap and enjoyed it. I was kinda avoiding the series until a definitive game came along, free of bugs and advanced past the genre's infancy. You know, I wanted the best experience possible so I waited for years before dipping my toe into the water.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gran Turismo series, most fucking boring shit in the world.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    Red LegRed Leg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, ok. I'll give it a shot.

I can't stand Fallout 1, Metal Gear, and Splinter Cell.

I'm not at all interested in Spore.

I'm sick of serialization, reviewers that are too soft, and extreme gore.

Red Leg on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cornell002 wrote: »

Doom didn't age well

Take that back, right now. Not only because DOOM is still awesome, but because a majority of the FPS games in existence take a lot of inspiration from DOOM. So if you diss that game, you diss them all.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i've never played zelda at all but i want to.

i don't like metal gear series much.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and another confession. I REALLY hated Eternal Darkness. I can't stand the game and I can't stand the respect it gets - I'm convinced that had it come out on a non-Nintendo console, it would have been lost in the shuffle of other scary games, fading away like Haunting Grounds or Siren.

"Oh, I have a powdered wig and I prance an empty mansion around with single-shot pistols. Goodness, did a book float by just now? What, you question my sanity? - MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES!"

What a bunch of nonsense. I'm fighting jellyfish monsters and blue zombies; it should be awesome but it's just brightly colored silliness.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Doom didn't age well

Take that back, right now. Not only because DOOM is still awesome, but because a majority of the FPS games in existence take a lot of inspiration from DOOM. So if you diss that game, you diss them all.

ahem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D

release date: 1992

doom release date: 1993.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Doom didn't age well

I would imagine that the problem lies in the fact that DOOM hasn't aged very well graphically. In terms of gameplay, it most definitely was one of the most important catalysts in the development and the growth of the FPS as a genre. However, noting the major influence that DOOM has had on the genre, the fact that it has lost some of its appeal with time doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't good at one time. With the advances in photorealistic CGI and the like, of course, it would lose some of its effects.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    unpurposed wrote: »

Doom didn't age well

I would imagine that the problem lies in the fact that DOOM hasn't aged very well graphically. In terms of gameplay, it most definitely was one of the most important catalysts in the development and the growth of the FPS as a genre. However, noting the major influence that DOOM has had on the genre, the fact that it has lost some of its appeal with time doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't good at one time. With the advances in photorealistic CGI and the like, of course, it would lose some of its effects.

Wasn't there a Doom 3 mod that remade some of the original Doom's levels?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I did not like Kingdom Hearts 2. My roomate had to finish the game because I quit playing around the Pirates of the Caribbean level. It just didn't feel as good as the original. Too much Japanese flash with no substance.

The intro music was pretty good though.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alright, on to my confessions:

Fallout: Sorry, I love the setting and the story, but I just can't get into the gameplay. It is in dire need of streamlining, and combat is poo-poo.

Metal Gear series: I'm not a big fan of Japanese cheesiness, and the MG series is full of it. At first it has this realistic military vibe and all of the sudden I'm asking myself, "Why the hell does this guy control bees?"

Pretty much every JRPG: See of above. Too much cheese.

@Xenocide Geek: Yeah, I'm not dumb, I know which came first. But they didn't call early FPS games 'Doom Clones' (that was literally the name of the genre for awhile) because they were modeled after Wolfenstein 3d.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to be a big fan of JRPGs. Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Profile.

Somewhere during the Playstation years, they started getting longer without actually getting longer. By the time I found myself sinking 40, 50, even 60 hours into a game with the same (sometimes less) story than I was getting from 15 and 20 hour games and no engaging advance in gameplay, I really lost my love. I still find a nice one now and then, but not often. I can't remember which game I said it about, but I once said, "It's the best 20 hour game I've played in a long time. Too bad it's 70 hours long."

Hevach on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2007
    GTA. Too clumsy, too shallow for me.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I bought La Pucelle tactics and Disgaea on the same day. I got through maybe 5 or six hours of La Pucelle, then never picked it up again. Disgaea is sill sitting in it's original packaging. I just can't bring myself to pick it up.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only JRPG I really have liked so far is Final Fantasy 10....which a lot of people seem to hate...so I don't know what that says about me, but oh well :).

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I dislike playing MGS.

Watching metal gear solid on the other hand I enjoy.

I just really dislike the controls.

Blake T on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate Halo... I think master chief is the lamest character ever.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I refuse to play a Sonic the Hedgehog game. I admit to being a total Nintendo fanboy when I was younger, and therefore I developed no love for Sonic outside the occasionally entertaining cartoon series.

I also can't stand the Metal Gear Solid series. MGS1 was a decent game, but MGS2 drove me nuts. By the time I finished it, I was so pissed off. I never tried MGS3 and will never play MGS4. I hate you Kojima!

Finally... The thing that probably annoys me most about modern gaming is bad physics engines. An example is Doom 3: Nothing has weight. You can shoot a Hell Knight 5 times with a rocket. It shrugs off the first 4, and then the killshot sends it flying through the room like a popped balloon. Awful.

Also, load times. Sometimes they're spaced properly. Most often they're not. A good example is Half-life 2 on a lower end computer: Most of the load times were in excess of 2 minutes. One went as long as 5. Beyond annoying.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    Also, load times. Sometimes they're spaced properly. Most often they're not. A good example is Half-life 2 on a lower end computer: Most of the load times were in excess of 2 minutes. One went as long as 5. Beyond annoying.

This is the sole reason I've never played through Half Life 2. The load times were ridiculous and I couldn't stand waiting that long to play something that was more irritating than fun.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I haaaaaaate Final Fantasy Tactics.

Also, if a game has a time limit to it, I cannot play it. I feel rushed and start forcing myself to rush and it's just no fun at all. This means I have never played:

Majora's Mask (I played it once. Ran out of time in the first town because I kept running around worried about running out of time. Seriously. CANNOT DO IT)
    Fallout 1 (Yes, yes. "More than enough time lolol" I don't care. Rushed and not fun.)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    Finally... The thing that probably annoys me most about modern gaming is bad physics engines. An example is Doom 3: Nothing has weight. You can shoot a Hell Knight 5 times with a rocket. It shrugs off the first 4, and then the killshot sends it flying through the room like a popped balloon. Awful.

Hopefully that will continue to get better. If you've played Gears of War, the bodies really have weight to them and it feels extremely satisfying compared to the early physics days of stuff like Max Payne 2 -- with the true ragdoll ridiculousness that felt like you were fighting on the moon :).

Crysis looks like it will also be great in that regard.

Edit:
    Blackjack wrote: »

Majora's Mask (I played it once. Ran out of time in the first town because I kept running around worried about running out of time. Seriously. CANNOT DO IT)

Hah that made me smile -- sounds exactly like my experience with MM :(. La dee da, YOU HAVE THREE DAYS TO SAVE US FROM THE MOON!, Oh my god omigodomigdomid /run around.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Also, if a game has a time limit to it, I cannot play it. I feel rushed and start forcing myself to rush and it's just no fun at all. This means I have never played:

Fallout 1 (Yes, yes. "More than enough time lolol" I don't care. Rushed and not fun.)

I didn't realize FO1 had me on a time limit until the third or fourth time I played through it. It's a pretty stupid reason not to play it.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The games everyone loves, Halo series. Can't stand them at all.

The game industry on a whole lacks much Direction in gameplay and stories. You got a bunch of companies that make games without any real skill when it comes to some of the core elements. Stories in games, music, sounds, and even cinematics matter and you hardly see anyone making games based off of a Directors vision of it. Got a bunch of kids making game play and no one is focusing on making the story element worth it.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Little known factoid: Shenmue 2 had a time limit. If you screwed around in Hong Kong long enough, the game ended with Lan Di winning. I haven't seen it myself.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I gave up and returned Pikmin after ending the fourth day with three items found, I think.

jothki on
  • Options
    mistergokumistergoku Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Starcraft. I have absolutely no interest in playing that or Starcraft 2. I found Animal Crossing to be way too boring and I couldn't finish La Pucelle Tactics, Disgaea 2 and Phantom Brave despite loving Disgaea. I also refuse to play the two Kingdom Hearts games.

mistergoku on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i've never played any metroid, prince of persia, ninja gaiden, or devil may cry games

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I... I don't really like Battalion Wars. Does that count? I... a bunch of people like Battalion Wars. Yeah.

I pretty much like every "good game"... oh! Oh, JRPGs! I don't like virtually any JRPGs. Yes, that's a good one. I've been hating them progressively more over the years.

EDIT: They're like Choose Your Own Adventure books with a timer. Except you don't actually get to choose your own adventure.

Um... they're like really shitty comic books, only you have to hit some buttons every couple pages or you have to start reading the shitty comic over again.

Agem on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck Halo, and fuck every sports game that doesn't start with the words 'Mutant League'.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Fuck Halo, and fuck every sports game that doesn't start with the words 'Mutant League'.

Megaman soccer?

unpurposed on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    unpurposed wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Megaman soccer?

Ok, you got me there. I'm also partial to Mario Golf, now that I think about it.

And Wii Sports, but that's just too cool to count.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Oh, and another confession. I REALLY hated Eternal Darkness. I can't stand the game and I can't stand the respect it gets - I'm convinced that had it come out on a non-Nintendo console, it would have been lost in the shuffle of other scary games, fading away like Haunting Grounds or Siren.

"Oh, I have a powdered wig and I prance an empty mansion around with single-shot pistols. Goodness, did a book float by just now? What, you question my sanity? - MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES!"

What a bunch of nonsense. I'm fighting jellyfish monsters and blue zombies; it should be awesome but it's just brightly colored silliness.

I agree. Naming the protagonist "Roivas" doesn't make the game artistic.

The thirty-third minute of the third hour is 2:32, not 3:33.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    I used to be a big fan of JRPGs. Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Profile.

Somewhere during the Playstation years, they started getting longer without actually getting longer. By the time I found myself sinking 40, 50, even 60 hours into a game with the same (sometimes less) story than I was getting from 15 and 20 hour games and no engaging advance in gameplay, I really lost my love. I still find a nice one now and then, but not often. I can't remember which game I said it about, but I once said, "It's the best 20 hour game I've played in a long time. Too bad it's 70 hours long."

This is basically my confession, except I still like JRPGS.

I have disliked every Final Fantasy game since the series switched to the PS/PS2 (I love FF:Tactics). The best final fantasy game is still #1, in my opinion. I especially hated the combat system of FFXII but I liked the plot, although I didn't finish the game.

In my opinion the best JRPG of all time is Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest 1 on the NES. Probably because it's the first JRPG I played.

I used to hate FPS games on consoles until I got a 360. Now I dig them but Halo doesn't excite me.

I dislike MGS because of the long sections of dialog. I LOVE the original Metal Gear games for the NES.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GTA Games - I just find them really boring.

Halo 2 - Felt dumbed down and overall inferior to its predecessor.

Gears of War - The single player didn't have much replay value, and the multiplayer wasn't much fun.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The only thing that scared me in Eternal Darkness was when the sanity meter thing went low for the first time and I heard that pounding on the wall/door whatever. I had my volume too high, it was 3 A.M., and well....there was screaming.

Other then that it felt pretty clunky and was kind of boring.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm beginning to think my purchase of a Wii and Xbox 360 wasn't worth it

i feel the wii is gimmicky and the xbox 360 has nothing but shooters

I think I'm getting tired of gaming entirely

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wait...the thirty-third minute of the third hour IS 3:33. How did you get 2:32?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One more...

I just don't get GTA games. The first two on the PC were fun and GTA3 was innovative but I've never been able to finish one. The most I'll do is drive around, shoot some people, and thats it.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Wait...the thirty-third minute of the third hour IS 3:33. How did you get 2:32?

Wouldn't it be because 12 is the first hour, and so on (1 is second, 2 is third). Same goes for the minutes. This sounds like the 2001 not 2000 millennium debate.

EDIT: Where is this from anyways? ED? I don't remember this being in there.

unpurposed on