As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Executive Compensation

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
A thread to talk about CEOs, and their evil ways.

The politics of pay

The rewards of America's company bosses face yet more scrutiny and attack
NOW there is nowhere for the bosses of corporate America to hide their bulging pay packets. In spite of years of defensive lobbying, they are having to reveal all under new Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules that have just begun to take effect. This burst of sunlight could not have come at a worse time for them. It coincides with a shift in the control of Congress to the Democrats and the start of the presidential election campaign, in which “overpaid” chief executives will make an easy target.

Although barely one-tenth of the 2,000 biggest American companies have yet reported under the new rules, the tally of negative headlines is already mounting. “There are already plenty of examples of firms reporting chief-executive pay packages of millions of dollars more than expected,” says Paul Hodgson of the Corporate Library, a research firm. He reckons that the firms that have already reported are a representative sample likely to provide a good indication of the overall trend. Top of the heap so far is Ken Lewis, boss of Bank of America, with total pay in 2006 valued at $114.4m.

One area of generosity is the chief executive's future pension. Another is “deferred pay”, whereby a top executive leaves some part of his salary in the hands of the firm, as a loan of sorts. GE recently reported that Robert Wright, until recently the boss of NBC Universal, its entertainment subsidiary, has accumulated deferred pay worth $40m, the highest so far. Quite why a boss or firm should want to resort to this tactic has never been clear, although the suspicion has always been that the firms are offering managers unusually good returns at the shareholders' expense. Now the details of these arrangements are being published for the first time, so it will become clear whether that was so.

In a study of 100 firms that have reported, Mr Hodgson found that the perks given to chief executives, though relatively small, were much higher than those reported last year under the old, less exacting, disclosure rules. On average, the amounts reported in 2006 under the heading “other annual compensation” in 2006 were $192,000—131% higher than in the corresponding category in 2005. One reason for this jump was that the new rules require the disclosure of all perks worth $10,000 or more, whereas the old rules allowed firms to keep quiet about anything worth less than $50,000.

Of particular interest will be the data on personal use of the corporate jet. This is expected to decline sharply as firms start to charge the boss for personal flights in order to avoid embarrassing headlines. No company wants a repeat of the battering suffered by Tyson Foods after revelations that “friends and family” of Donald Tyson, a former boss, made undisclosed use of the corporate jet—valued at over $1m—without his even being on board.

Another likely target is the golden parachute for a departing boss, especially if he has left because of poor performance. This is increasingly a focus of activist shareholders, including hedge funds. On March 20th John Antioco, the boss of Blockbuster, a video-rental firm, announced that he would resign by the end of the year. Following a long battle over his bonus with Carl Icahn, a legendary corporate raider, he agreed to accept much less in severance than he had said he was entitled to under his contract.

The directors' cut

Boards have already started to pay greater attention to how they set the chief executive's pay and to being seen to do so in a way that serves the interests of shareholders. One reason is the requirement that compensation committees consist entirely of independent directors, introduced as a listing requirement by the New York Stock Exchange in the wake of the corporate scandals at the start of the decade. These committees must now hire compensation consultants, and many are insisting that they do no other work for the company. Previously, compensation consultants typically had other lucrative contracts, which may have swayed their judgment.

The new climate surrounding pay has already had an effect. Base salary has stabilised, though it was never the fastest-growing part of pay. Options, which even before the recent backdating scandal were losing their appeal, have been partly replaced by performance-related pay.

“Boards are being tougher with new hires, in particular, as it is hard to get a sitting chief executive to give up pay promised in his contract, at least without compensation,” says Russell Miller of Korn Ferry, a recruitment firm. Even being tough on new chief executives is not proving easy, however. Boards know that the choice of a boss can have a huge impact on a firm's performance. Executive talent is valuable. Private equity is on the prowl, offering packages with incentives that a public company can find hard to match amid all the denunciation of fat cats. Those are good reasons to expect pay to continue to grow, in spite of the outrage.

Not everybody is happy with the quality of the disclosures made so far. One issue is the length and complexity of the statements, which often run to 30 pages or more of opaque legalese. There are also complaints that the single number for total pay required by the SEC is misleading. “There is more than one honest answer to the question, ‘How much did you pay the chief executive?'” says Joe Grundfest, a former SEC commissioner who is now at Stanford University. The SEC requires firms to combine both the actual pay bosses receive each year and an estimate of the value of future performance-related pay, such as share options, which is calculated using a formula known as Black-Scholes. But the value of such options changes along with the firm's share price—they could even prove to be worthless. “The one certainty is that the option grant will not turn out to be worth the Black-Scholes valuation,” says Mr Grundfest. Which is why the SEC should require two totals to be published, argues Ira Kay of Watson Wyatt, a compensation consultancy. As well as saying what managers might earn, they should estimate what they have earned. Unlike the SEC's number, such “total realised pay” correlates well with firms' performance, says Mr Kay.

Such subtleties may not matter much to the headline writers. Outraged politicians in Washington, DC, smell blood. Barney Frank, chairman of the House financial services committee, is proposing legislation to require companies to seek the (non-binding) approval of shareholders for executive pay packages each year.

There may also be moves to toughen the tax treatment of executive pay, perhaps by removing tax benefits for performance-related compensation, at least above a certain level, says David Yermack, an economist at New York University. Share options and pensions may also come under fire. Given the growing number of middle-class Americans who have to pay the higher alternative minimum tax, Congress may feel that heavier taxes for corporate bosses have populist appeal. “Anything is possible in this climate,” says Mr Yermack, “so bosses may need to get used to the idea that more of their compensation will be subject to taxation.” At least they can afford it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    I would love to see an extensive study that tracks CEO pay along with such variables as company performance, changes in government regulation, the frequency of legal issues in the companies, and so on. There are a whole lot of different explanations for why CEOs get paid so much, but the only thing ever used to back them up are a disparate splatter of anecdotes.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I believe the term is "crying all the way to the bank."

I still don't understand why it's a CEO's fault for being paid a lot of money.
    Because of the incestuous system in place. Our CEO brings his buddies into the board of his company, and he sits on their boards. The result is that the boards now look out for the CEOs, not the company.

Acutally, boards look out for the shareholders. Or they lose thier jobs. That's the nature of the game. And that had nothing to do with my question.
    I don't even understand why it's a bad thing to make a lot of money in the first place.
    It's not the money, it's the inequality. When the CEO makes 400+x what the guy on the front lines does, it makes that guy wonder why the hell he kills himself for The Man.

When there's 400 of your position, and 1 of him?

Your average Joe on the "front lines" (ha! right.) of a company would have absolutely no hope if he traded jobs with an executive.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    It isn't inherently a bad thing. When a CEO does a good job and improves the company they deserve the pay raises, but when the CEO is essentially being rewarded for fucking up on a grand scale...well, do I really have to explain it?

Believe me, I agree. If you fuck up, you don't deserve your job. It's as simple as that.

I'm just afraid we're wandering down the path that "all CEOs did nothing do deserve thier job, all rich people are greedy assholes, wealth=bad" which is an assumption as ridiculous as the GPA joke.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    It isn't inherently a bad thing. When a CEO does a good job and improves the company they deserve the pay raises, but when the CEO is essentially being rewarded for fucking up on a grand scale...well, do I really have to explain it?

Believe me, I agree. If you fuck up, you don't deserve your job. It's as simple as that.

I'm just afraid we're wandering down the path that "all CEOs did nothing do deserve thier job, all rich people are greedy assholes, wealth=bad" which is an assumption as ridiculous as the GPA joke.

Didn't you know? We love making generalizations and jumping to conclusions in this forum, especially if we have no fucking clue regarding the subject matter.

ege02 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    If you fuck up monumentally as a CEO, chances are you're probably not going to get another job.
    Man, are you even kidding? Some of these guys have made a career out of fucking companies into the ground. As long as you don't get caught breaking any laws there's always an 8th chance out there waiting.

There aren't a plethora of positions out there, but most big companies will take a big name over an unknown. It's kind of a semi-closed world.
    CEOs demand huge packages because it is risky as hell to be a CEO. Most top-notch executives are much happier in a senior-but-not-the-boss role, like COO or CIO or EVP or whatever. They are happy with the money and stability and relative anonymity and it allows them plenty of challenge. A board trying to recruit a very talented, well-paid and happy COO to become their new CEO is basically asking him to take a sweet life and dangle it by a thread. The fiduciary responsibilities are huge. And every time we prosecute another CEO for something a line manager did, exercising the "captain of the ship" rhetoric that has sent hard-working CEOs right to prison in highly politicized cases, then it only makes the whole deal that much riskier and requires boards to offer that much more.
    The reason that the "captain of the ship" rhetoric came up is because too many CEOs decided to try to play dumb, even when it was apparent to outside observers that something was rotten in the state of Denmark. Due diligence is a basic principle here.
    No matter how honest or thorough a CEO might be, there is a significant risk that a manager or group of managers somewhere in the organization are pulling some shit that he isn't aware of. And when it all comes out in the media, the justice system and the people only have so much patience to wade through it all before saying "fuck it, the CEO is the captain of the ship, he must have known about it, put him in jail for it." Executives know this, and generally refuse any offer whatsoever to be a CEO. The deal has to be sweet as fuck.
    And if the CEO is doing his job right, it should be very hard for them to hide their chicanery. Look at Enron - it was pretty clear that things were not kosher. Yet the upper levels continuously turned a blind eye to it, and in fact took steps to nurture the mentality that produced these errors. When the head of the company is willfully or recklessly turning a blind eye, then he or she should be held culpable.
    And even ignoring the legal risks, these are publicly traded companies with voting stockholders. It's like being a football coach. You don't start winning some games immediately and you will get run out of town as a failure, no excuses accepted, no matter how practical those excuses may be. Another reason why the COO or CFO wants a huge golden parachute before he'll even talk to you about being the CEO. He's taking on a significant risk that his 20-year career of success will end in failure in 20 months.
    It's very rare for a CEO of a major company to get the boot from stockholders - the only two companies I recall it happening to recently are Take Two and Disney. One major reason is that while many people may own stock, they own it through mutual funds, where the votes of the shares are controlled by a manager. So while many people may own the company, the votes are under the control of a small handful. This makes it easy to control the votes, since you need only get the managers under control, and many of them are inclined to support you, being Wall Street types.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »

Because of the incestuous system in place. Our CEO brings his buddies into the board of his company, and he sits on their boards. The result is that the boards now look out for the CEOs, not the company.
    I don't even understand why it's a bad thing to make a lot of money in the first place.
    It's not the money, it's the inequality. When the CEO makes 400+x what the guy on the front lines does, it makes that guy wonder why the hell he kills himself for The Man.

I'm failing to see the problem here. For the most part, you are paid what your labor is worth. Should we inflate the value of the front line worker? Should we deflate the value of "The Man" (what a stupid fucking name for that)? And are you the final arbiter of worth?

I want CEOs to be paid a lot, because by and large, the head of a company is worth a lot. I want people to be paid what they are worth, not inflated or deflated based on someone elses pay scale.
    No, you want CEOs to be paid a lot because you fancy being one eventually.

If you have a CEO who really revitalizes a company and takes them from worst to first, then yes, they deserve worthy compensation for that. But many, MANY times, CEOs don't do that. Talke a look at Jack Welsh, who was hailed for 'saving' GE. Honest postmortems have pointed out that:
    • GE wasn't in as bad shape as everyone thought when he took over,
    • He refused to enter into competitive fields, instead only staying where GE was a dominant player,
    • Used mass layoffs as a means to increase stock price, earning the nickname "Neutron Jack",
    • And did everything in his power to weasel GE out of their obligations to repair the environmental damage it had done.
    Somehow, I don't think that merits being given moneyhats of cash.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Warren Buffet made $100,000 in salary last year.

I'm going to venture out on a very short limb here and say that most CEOs who made far more than that did not contribute more to their companies than he did to his.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Warren Buffet made $100,000 in salary last year.

I'm going to venture out on a very short limb here and say that most CEOs who made far more than that did not contribute more to their companies than he did to his.

Right but how much of his own personal money is tied up with BH? He doesn't have to make that much from salary because part of his business is growing his own personal fortune along with anyone else lucky enough to strap themselves to his boots.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think it's possible to deserve, in a moral sense, 114 million dollars.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

I can't see anything over, say, five million being reasonable.

There's a certain threshold point where wealth just becomes a gigantic phallus to wave in people's faces, with no other practical use.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm failing to see the problem here. For the most part, you are paid what your labor is worth. Should we inflate the value of the front line worker? Should we deflate the value of "The Man" (what a stupid fucking name for that)? And are you the final arbiter of worth?

I want CEOs to be paid a lot, because by and large, the head of a company is worth a lot. I want people to be paid what they are worth, not inflated or deflated based on someone elses pay scale.
    No, you want CEOs to be paid a lot because you fancy being one eventually.

If you have a CEO who really revitalizes a company and takes them from worst to first, then yes, they deserve worthy compensation for that. But many, MANY times, CEOs don't do that. Talke a look at Jack Welsh, who was hailed for 'saving' GE. Honest postmortems have pointed out that:
    • GE wasn't in as bad shape as everyone thought when he took over,
    • He refused to enter into competitive fields, instead only staying where GE was a dominant player,
    • Used mass layoffs as a means to increase stock price, earning the nickname "Neutron Jack",
    • And did everything in his power to weasel GE out of their obligations to repair the environmental damage it had done.
    Somehow, I don't think that merits being given moneyhats of cash.

Actually, I don't. I've worked with a few, and I'm not interested in what they have to go through. There's a lot of risk involved in running a company. With that risk come stress, decreased time with the family, heart attacks....I don't want that. There are more important things in my life.

But I do want people to be paid what they are worth. Because I want to be paid what I'm worth. When you start advocating the control of worth based on your standards, my pay is at risk, because maybe you think I'm overpayed, and the guy who works for me is underpaid. And like it or not, chances are you are wrong.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

There's a certain threshold point where wealth just becomes a gigantic phallus to wave in people's faces, with no other practical use.

Then don't ever make more than five million. But don't put a five million dollar limit on my salary.

Seriously people, it's amazing how many people want to dictate what is and is not fair for someone else to make or spend. That's creepy.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Then don't ever make more than five million. But don't put a five million dollar limit on my salary.

Seriously people, it's amazing how many people want to dictate what is and is not fair for someone else to make or spend. That's creepy.

Why? What possible use could you have for more than five million dollars a year?

Is your hobby collecting Van Goghs?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Thats not what he said, he said that he couldn't think of a situation where you require 5 million dollars in compensation to justify that action. Of course that isn't the way wages work (or are supposed to work), if your CEO can get you an additional > 5+ million dollars over the alternative then it becomes worth 5+ million dollars to make sure you have him.

Which just makes the whole thing more complicated, since he doesn't necessarily have to morally deserve his salary (he isn't necessarily putting in 300+ times more work, nor is 300 times more skilled or rarer than the average guy - more skilled, rarer and possibly more devoted but not in proportion to his higher wage) he just needs to be 300 times more valuble.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Why? What possible use could you have for more than five million dollars a year?

The more important question is what exactly gives you the opinion you have the right to say any one person willingly giving any other person more than X dollars in exchange for something is somehow inherently wrong.

I'm the first to point any number of asshat moves businesses have made in the past (or are still making), but some sort of magic assumption of moral superiority just because what you have less money is idiotic.

You want to crunch some numbers and show they aren't actually worth hiring at that price, go for it. Any analystical look at past performance versus CEO salary, I'd love to see it. Hand waving and self-righteousness is as useless and asinine here as any other area of discussion.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    But I do want people to be paid what they are worth. Because I want to be paid what I'm worth. When you start advocating the control of worth based on your standards, my pay is at risk, because maybe you think I'm overpayed, and the guy who works for me is underpaid. And like it or not, chances are you are wrong.

That's sort of begging the question, though. People are saying that CEOs are, by and large, not worth the compensation they're commanding. If it can be shown that giving someone twenty million bucks in salary and perks results in a better company, an overall better economy, and increased prosperity, then hey, cool.

But a lot of the objections here are that ridiculous lumps of money are being handed around by an old-boy's club to existing members in order to maintain the illusion that these sums are actually reasonable. If paying a CEO twenty million dollars is going to provide greater than twenty million dollars in benefit to the company that couldn't be gained by hiring a guy for half a million, then that's money well spent. Otherwise, CEOs are just giant money sinks, and the money being paid to them is a collective drain on the economy, and a detriment to the companies in question.

I think salary caps are a stupid idea, but some means of trying to prevent money from being flushed down the toilet isn't exactly a stake in the heart of capitalism.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, there are definitely cases of executives running companies into the ground for personal gain, even if they aren't prevalent. Having confederates in the board of directors is one means to do this. I remember hearing about the case of a company A that wrote a few million dollar contract with another company B that was set up with a loophole such that the company A technically didn't have to deliver to get paid. The contract was a result of higher ups in the two companies colluding to rob them.

Tying long term performance to the executive's pay would be in general the best goal for the company's pay structure, but that can be a somewhat difficult process and likely requires the use of derivatives such as options or warrants. It can be a big problem if the CEO gets there and runs the engine too hot or kills off potential for future growth in order to get short term gains in profitability or stock value. Stock value is supposed to take into account those factors, but that value depends upon imperfect knowledge by marketers.

I was a bit amused about the discussion of Black-Scholes though and the beating around the bush of what it is.

Savant on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Thats not what he said, he said that he couldn't think of a situation where you require 5 million dollars in compensation to justify that action. Of course that isn't the way wages work (or are supposed to work), if your CEO can get you an additional > 5+ million dollars over the alternative then it becomes worth 5+ million dollars to make sure you have him.

Which just makes the whole thing more complicated, since he doesn't necessarily have to morally deserve his salary (he isn't necessarily putting in 300+ times more work, nor is 300 times more skilled or rarer than the average guy - more skilled, rarer and possibly more devoted but not in proportion to his higher wage) he just needs to be 300 times more valuble.

I think if your individual presence translates into >$5M of profit you morally deserve >$5M of compensation. I'm not thinking of the faceless CEO that no one hears about until he gets a giant retirement payoff, but more the Oprah Winfrey, without-her-there-is-no-business type.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

That's sort of begging the question, though. People are saying that CEOs are, by and large, not worth the compensation they're commanding. If it can be shown that giving someone twenty million bucks in salary and perks results in a better company, an overall better economy, and increased prosperity, then hey, cool.

But a lot of the objections here are that ridiculous lumps of money are being handed around by an old-boy's club to existing members in order to maintain the illusion that these sums are actually reasonable. If paying a CEO twenty million dollars is going to provide greater than twenty million dollars in benefit to the company that couldn't be gained by hiring a guy for half a million, then that's money well spent. Otherwise, CEOs are just giant money sinks, and the money being paid to them is a collective drain on the economy, and a detriment to the companies in question.

I think salary caps are a stupid idea, but some means of trying to prevent money from being flushed down the toilet isn't exactly a stake in the heart of capitalism.

My father has quite a few friends who either used to work for Microsoft, or still do, at the management level.

Back when I was trying to decide on a major, I talked to them about their jobs. Pretty much every single one of them said, "I feel like I'm being overpaid." So some of them quit Microsoft to do other things because they felt guilty about doing so little work (and "bullshit" work, at that, their own words) and being paid so much that they were members of the upper-middle class, and in some cases, the elite class. Others started their own businesses on the sidelines so they could actually do some meaningful work and feel more fulfilled.

I'm sure there are many other white-collar managers out there that are paid way too much for what they do.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter. Unless I came about the money by illegal means, it shouldn't matter to anyone that I make 10 million a year.

Maybe my job includes high risk, and I am only expected to work for 10 years (see: professional sports). Maybe I make music that the whole world likes, and my band is only good for two albums. Maybe I'm stretched thin, working 18 hour days for 6 days a week, neglecting my family and friends so I can retire early and provide my family with a comfortable life. Maybe it's because I've been married a dozen times and I owe alimony.

Trust me, I could put 5mil a year to good use.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    I'm not in favor of caps on pay, but I find it hard to think of big time CEOs as people. I view them more as demi-corporations.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Why would you say they are not worth it? The worth of something changes depending on who needs it. It's a product of the scarcity of the resource, that's all. If everyone had the ability to be a CEO, they'd be worth shit. As it stands, very few people (relative to the population) have the skill, education and ability to fill that role. Being a scarce resource, their value increases accordingly.

The market will determine their worth, though I'm not surprised that people forget this. A parallel happened in the entertainment industry a few years back, with movie stars charging ridiculous fees for movies, and people cried that it wasn't "worth it". Well, that trend ended, because the market corrected itself. Big name stars bombed, small budget films make bank, and salaries were cut at the top. The same will happen with CEOs if there is truly a problem with their worth.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But ryuprecht what many people are saying, and where many signs are pointing, is that we're (re)running into the problem of too much capital in too few hands, so that the necessary corrections aren't taking place. What you say is great in theory, but I'm not going to feel too good about it until I see something resembling an actual correction taking place. As it is I see CEO salaries getting larger while the average American loses ground in terms of actual wealth. There is an Old Boy's club at the high levels of many of these companies, and it's not just as simple as "they're the only people who can perform CEO duties." I think nore accurately they're the only ones being given a shot.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What gets me is situations where the CEO is making $50million a year, but they have to lay off 500 workers because they can't afford to pay them.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CEO's are grossly overpaid and it is an insult to the poor and a mockery of social structure.

But, to be far, if I was made CEO of a fortune 500 company, I might commit suicide out of the stress.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

In The Armchair Economist, Steven Landsburg (I know, not a completely neutral or authoritative source. But a qualified expert nonetheless) proposes that one reason CEOs may be paid a lot of money after being fired is to make CEOs less risk-averse. If it's true that it's a good long-term business strategy for CEOs to take more strategic risks than they would if they didn't have the security of a fat pension even if they're fired, then such payments are reasonable. Of course, it's still possible that the current payment levels for CEOs is too high, but I don't think it's unreasonable that they're paid a pretty good amount of money even if they fuck a company up and get fired.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    But ryuprecht what many people are saying, and where many signs are pointing, is that we're (re)running into the problem of too much capital in too few hands, so that the necessary corrections aren't taking place. What you say is great in theory, but I'm not going to feel too good about it until I see something resembling an actual correction taking place. As it is I see CEO salaries getting larger while the average American loses ground in terms of actual wealth. There is an Old Boy's club at the high levels of many of these companies, and it's not just as simple as "they're the only people who can perform CEO duties." I think nore accurately they're the only ones being given a shot.

I could follow that logic if I saw proof that it was an industry-wide phenomenon. There's a lot of high-profile stuff on CEOs these days, and I've seen it happen too often where select individuals are held up as representative of the population of CEOs. I just don't buy it. There are tens of thousands of CEO positions in this country, and I've seen nothing to show that even a significant minority of these positions are filled by people who were failures in their previous roles. It strikes me as hype, easy to push because of the money involved. These people are often made into supervillians.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

In The Armchair Economist, Steven Landsburg (I know, not a completely neutral or authoritative source. But a qualified expert nonetheless) proposes that one reason CEOs may be paid a lot of money after being fired is to make CEOs less risk-averse. If it's true that it's a good long-term business strategy for CEOs to take more strategic risks than they would if they didn't have the security of a fat pension even if they're fired, then such payments are reasonable. Of course, it's still possible that the current payment levels for CEOs is too high, but I don't think it's unreasonable that they're paid a pretty good amount of money even if they fuck a company up and get fired.

Definitely an interesting hypothesis. I might postulate it's the opposite though. They aren't given the pay to become risk-averse, but they are risk-averse because the pay is good.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am confused. Who are these people who make $50-100million a year and and WORRIED about getting fired. If I made a million in a year, I would retire for good.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If I made a million in a year, I would retire for good.
    That would be pretty dumb, unless you were like 75.
    Definitely an interesting hypothesis. I might postulate it's the opposite though. They aren't given the pay to become risk-averse, but they are risk-averse because the pay is good.
    Uh... those are both the same. In either case, the cause is high pay and the result is risk-aversion.

Although, to be clear, I'm referring specifically to the huge sums of money given to CEOs after they're forced out, not to their salaries.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Why would you say they are not worth it? The worth of something changes depending on who needs it. It's a product of the scarcity of the resource, that's all. If everyone had the ability to be a CEO, they'd be worth shit. As it stands, very few people (relative to the population) have the skill, education and ability to fill that role. Being a scarce resource, their value increases accordingly.

The market will determine their worth, though I'm not surprised that people forget this. A parallel happened in the entertainment industry a few years back, with movie stars charging ridiculous fees for movies, and people cried that it wasn't "worth it". Well, that trend ended, because the market corrected itself. Big name stars bombed, small budget films make bank, and salaries were cut at the top. The same will happen with CEOs if there is truly a problem with their worth.

The idea that someone is "worth" a given amount of money is dependent on two things. First, their skill set has to be genuinely rare, such that others can't do it. And second, all people have to be given a fair shot at getting that position.

Say Bob is hired by his uncle Walt to serve as a floor manager for Walt's shoe store. Only Bob is given a chance for the job, and he is paid $300k a year, because he happens to be Walt's son-in-law, and damned if his daughter is going to be married to someone middle-class. I really hope you wouldn't assert that Bob is "worth" $300k per year in any meaningful capacity.

What others are saying, and what you've failed to refute, is that the situation with CEOs may well closely parallel this instance of blatant nepotism. CEOs are paid large sums of money because they're selected by a pool of individuals who want to ensure that, if and when they become CEOs, they also get lucrative salaries. They could just as easily hire some other guy who could do just as well for a quarter of the cost, but they don't. Not because it helps the companies, but because it helps them, personally, as high-powered executives.

This may not be the case, but shouting "Free Market!" louder and louder doesn't exactly prove your point.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The idea that someone is "worth" a given amount of money is dependent on two things. First, their skill set has to be genuinely rare, such that others can't do it. And second, all people have to be given a fair shot at getting that position.

Say Bob is hired by his uncle Walt to serve as a floor manager for Walt's shoe store. Only Bob is given a chance for the job, and he is paid $300k a year, because he happens to be Walt's son-in-law, and damned if his daughter is going to be married to someone middle-class. I really hope you wouldn't assert that Bob is "worth" $300k per year in any meaningful capacity.

What others are saying, and what you've failed to refute, is that the situation with CEOs may well closely parallel this instance of blatant nepotism. CEOs are paid large sums of money because they're selected by a pool of individuals who want to ensure that, if and when they become CEOs, they also get lucrative salaries. They could just as easily hire some other guy who could do just as well for a quarter of the cost, but they don't. Not because it helps the companies, but because it helps them, personally, as high-powered executives.

This may not be the case, but shouting "Free Market!" louder and louder doesn't exactly prove your point.

The example you used doesn't hold since it's not a publicly traded company but a family run business. Apples and Oranges, my friend.

As for the assertion that I haven't refuted it, I don't need to. I've stated above that I've seen no evidence that the insider trading being alleged here is rampant, or even common-place amongst CEOs of public companies. You hear about the high profile ones, but they are not the norm, but rather sensationalism set up as representative. I have seen no statistics showing the recycling of failed executives into other positions, just people pointing out what I believe are exceptions to the rule.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

...so therefore they put fat pensions into contracts to make them less risk averse.
    I guess it might be a point, but thats exactly what Landsburg is hypothesizing.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    What gets me is situations where the CEO is making $50million a year, but they have to lay off 500 workers because they can't afford to pay them.

That's the main dichotomy that gets me. If the company is in the red and executives are asking everyone else to sacrifice to ensure that the stock goes up, even if this means 'downsizing' at rather large scales...well, why shouldn't they need to sacrifice as well?

Iacoca wrote a book regarding this lately IIRC. I should take a look at it after I finish up my urban planning read. Moses can wait a little longer.

moniker on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

That's the main dichotomy that gets me. If the company is in the red and executives are asking everyone else to sacrifice to ensure that the stock goes up, even if this means 'downsizing' at rather large scales...well, why shouldn't they need to sacrifice as well?

Iacoca wrote a book regarding this lately IIRC. I should take a look at it after I finish up my urban planning read. Moses can wait a little longer.

I hear Japanese CEOs have taken pay cuts and such when the company is in a rough patch, but that's just hearsay and conjecture.

Savant on
  • Options
    allen1234allen1234 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't forget to mention that if a company pays any employee what is deemed excessive, the IRS will double tax the hell out of it as an illegally distributed dividend, which avoids corporate and capital gains taxes, possibly personal income taxes to.

A guy out west who built up a chain or hardware stores that competes profitably with Lowe's and Home Depot was given a very generous package by the board of the company. IRS said his pay was double Home Depot's CEO and more than double Lowe's CEO, thus it was invalid and a tax dodge. Hammered him hard for it to.

If they're doing something unique or challenging they can make a ton of money. But CEO's of most companies are pretty small time, do little more than join a local country club and lease a nice car. It's the Fortune 100 guys that get all the press and make people think they make too much money, even though a Fortune 100 CEO is running a company with annual revenues comparable to a small country.

allen1234 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've heard of American CEOs taking one dollar salaries or the same salary as their lowest paid employer. That's classy, as they are making most of their money off of their share of the company. These men and women (who am I kidding, men) are in the vast minority though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've heard of American CEOs taking one dollar salaries or the same salary as their lowest paid employer. That's classy, as they are making most of their money off of their share of the company. These men and women (who am I kidding, men) are in the vast minority though.

Meh, it's dime store classiness. If you're handed five million bucks in shares of the company, you can afford to waive the $150k salary without even noticing it. Your salary is a rounding error on your bank statement.

It's good PR, but it doesn't impress me.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The example you used doesn't hold since it's not a publicly traded company but a family run business. Apples and Oranges, my friend.

My point is that the fact that someone is making X dollars doesn't mean that X dollars is reasonable. It's not like all the stockholders vote on the CEO in a meaningful way - the CEO is selected by a board of rich guys. If the rich guys are all making sure to scratch each others' backs, then we wind up in a situation where AppleCorp LTD is pretty darned comparable to Walt's Orange Shack.
    As for the assertion that I haven't refuted it, I don't need to. I've stated above that I've seen no evidence that the insider trading being alleged here is rampant, or even common-place amongst CEOs of public companies. You hear about the high profile ones, but they are not the norm, but rather sensationalism set up as representative. I have seen no statistics showing the recycling of failed executives into other positions, just people pointing out what I believe are exceptions to the rule.

This sort of brings us back to my original post in this thread - it would be really nice if we had some solid data to go on. You admit that there are instances of impropriety, but you maintain those are isolated cases. Fine, but we still just have a battle of anecdotes. We know that CEO salaries are on the rise, and it's uncertain why exactly. I'm skeptical that the performance of companies is increasing proportionally to the skyrocketing CEO salaries, and the risks of CEO-dom don't seem to have really increased lately. It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in corporate malfeasance.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    [W]hatever a man has in superabundance is owed, of natural right, to the poor for their sustenance. So Ambrosius says, and it is also to be found in the Decretum Gratiani: "The bread which you withhold belongs to the hungry; the clothing you shut away, to the naked; and the money you bury in the earth is the redemption and freedom of the penniless."

MrMister on