As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Writing for comics

EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
I've always wanted to write for a webcomic; but just write. Where would I go to find someone to colloborate with? Or do most not want to do so? Are many even open to the idea?

Etelmik on

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What page on the thread? There are 48 of them. Or are you saying I should post it there? I guess I didn't think this was an "art" question, related as it is.

Etelmik on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is more of a question to throw in the chat forum rather than make a new thread.

Anyhow, this isn't a bad place to talk to some people if you have ideas in mind. Try searching other art forums. Creating a Graphic Novel has some great comic writing advice.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SE++ didn't seem like a place to get a good response. (Note: references to anal sex are not a good response.) This place is where the artists hang out, and I just wanted to test the waters. Besides, how many people who are talking about something like this going to troll SE++? SE++ makes my head hurt.

That said, I do thank you for the good link, and for telling me about the community.

Etelmik on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think anyone mentioned posting in SE++. There's a Q&A and Chat thread in the AC that you should try rather than making a new thread. New threads are supposed to contain art (as per the rules).

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hell. PM me some of your writing and i'll see if i like it enough to draw it. I'm pretty much stumped for stuff to draw these days beyond boring studies. Of course I aint the best drawerer but hell i need something to do!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh damn, it was in French so I missed it. My mistake. Thanks for your patience.

Etelmik on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    There's also the writers block; though I guess that's more for non-illustrated writing, I don't lurk there much myself.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Writer's block does screenplays, and that's basically what you need to write for a graphic novel/comic.

I would recommend posting your initial chapter(s) there and seeing what advice they have. Don't worry: no one is going to steal your idea. Besides, your idea will probably have changed quite a bit by the time you make it to your final draft.

One question for you artists, though. I've seen several writers looking for artists, but I've never seen an artist asking for a writer. I mean, seriously, has anyone ever said, "I love drawing giant robots and people with cybernetic implants shooting futuristic weapons, but I've never put together a compelling back story or sufficiently engaging universe to set them in. In fact, I could really care less. I just like to draw chromed over technology with neon-colored light reflecting off it. Anyone here good with words?"

Is it because 1 picture = 1,000 words?

EDIT: I'm poven wrong by Lly, right here in this very thread!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.