As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some advice on Angel's wings

MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
I've been struggling with this for a year now, and I can never get satisfied. Does anyone have a tip or method they could share so i can appropriately draw them? Here are some examples of what I have so far. I would greatly appreciate critiques as well.

Rise_of_a_Fallen_Champion_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Efthymia___Angel_of_Destiny_by_AdventDawn.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
Mykonos on

• Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A year? Jesus. My advice is to go to an art gallery with a sketchbook and copy the masters. There are usually plenty of angels wings in decent galleries that have classic art.

Also study birds wings as they essentially are the same thing. Study the bone structure, the feather structure etc. It's incredible how many different types of feathers make up a real wing.

Lly on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    lol you should have seen the hot mess I drew when i first started out. Good advice though. I've always had an inclination to use dove wings for angels and crow wings for their fallen counterparts

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    flightskeleton.GIF

angel-wings-1-tn.jpg

As you can see here angel wings, and wings in general tend to have longer feathers along the outside. The feathers are also rounded on the tips, whereas yours are rather pointy.

300px-A_single_white_feather_closeup.jpg

I'd concentrate on making less feathers, and have them longer and more flowy.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it seems you're trying to draw what you THINK wing look like and not what they look like.
    google some images of wings and draw as many as you can find. in doing this you will develop a style of your own.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dissect a pigeon. That’s what the great masters did when they wanted to figure out how to draw an angel wing.

supabeast on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like these. The wings seem natural, like they are a part of his body instead of "Holy crap! That guy has wings!...and a guitar for some reason!"

UncannyX438.jpg

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look up doves, birds, etc. "angel wings" are just some artist's general idea of white wings on a person. This idea of wings has to stem from somewhere... probably dove wings, since doves were spiritual representations of the Holy Spirit and messengers from God.

So yeah... I'd research dove wings, then figure out how they attach to a human... you'll also need to determine what proportion they should be to the human body.

padmeamanda on