As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft revises Xbox 360 Warranty

• Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Really? So dvd drive failure isn't covered under 3 red rings?

Not unless it causes 3 red rings.

I said this earlier in the thread, but this is actually a fairly shitty thing for microsoft to do. Why not just make the warranty good for ALL flaws for the three year period? I can't think of any other console that has had a longer warranty for certain problems than for others.

Of course, I'm just pissed that my DVD drive is failing.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meister wrote: »
    So do you have to purchase this 3 year warranty or does it automatically come with every Xbox 360? Also, the core unit is $300, right? Does the $400 version just include a 20gig hard drive on top of that? What is the use of the hard drive?

Core:
    Xbox360 Console with white Drive plastics
    Wired controller
    Power brick
    Composite video cables

Pro:
    Xbox360 Console with silver Drive plastics
    Wireless controller
    Network Cable
    Live headset
    Component HD cables
    Power brick

The hard drive is needed to save games, download games/movies/demos from Live, and some games require the hard drive.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    and online gaming.

You did Not need a Harddrive to play online, when I got my Core 360 at launch with PD0, I played online just fine with just a memory card. (I couldn't find a harddrive anywhere intill the middle of the following January.)

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    gleep-glop wrote: »

I said this earlier in the thread, but this is actually a fairly shitty thing for microsoft to do. Why not just make the warranty good for ALL flaws for the three year period? I can't think of any other console that has had a longer warranty for certain problems than for others.

Because the 3 red rings is the serious flaw that Microsoft is responding to. Shit breaks sometimes, but you can't expect them to put up an unconditional 3 year warranty for everything.

Zek on
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    So do you have to purchase this 3 year warranty or does it automatically come with every Xbox 360? Also, the core unit is $300, right? Does the $400 version just include a 20gig hard drive on top of that? What is the use of the hard drive?

The hard drive is needed to save games, download games/movies/demos from Live, and some games require the hard drive.

...so if you buy the core version you can't save games? Why would anyone buy the core, then?

edit: the guy 2 posts above mentions a memory card. I'm assuming you can use that to save games and download things?

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

...so if you buy the core version you can't save games? Why would anyone buy the core, then?
    :lol:

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Because the 3 red rings is the serious flaw that Microsoft is responding to. Shit breaks sometimes, but you can't expect them to put up an unconditional 3 year warranty for everything.

I've had a dodgy drive failure and two three red rings.

Drive failure is just as serious IMO.

I wouldn't mind paying Mircosoft to fix the DVD drive. But the problem remains then you'll get bent over and fucked in the arse for shipping the thing to the other side of the country.

Blake T on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So EVERYBODY is covered from Red Ring regardless of purchase date? My boss'll be happy. He's had his sitting around for a little under a year. He hasn't bothered to pay for getting it fixed because he's only interested in Halo.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    edit: the guy 2 posts above mentions a memory card. I'm assuming you can use that to save games and download things?

Correct, but I would highly suggest you get a harddrive. Much more space to store data for your money then a memory card.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well as far as I'm concerned, the lousy DVD drives are a serious flaw as well. This is my second box, a refurb that got sent to me to replace the first one which also had a bad DVD drive. I've had this one for less than six months.

They're going to have a hard time telling an average consumer that they're shit out of luck and that only one specific problem is covered under the three year warranty. Then they'll want you to pay $140 or whatever for a DVD drive.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

yes but why spend $300 on a core and then $69 on a memory card when you can just get the pro and get better stuff :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    With the announcement of the PS3 price drop, do yourself a sanity favor and don't buy a 360 (if you were going to) until the price is dropped or one month goes by. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

I could also see no price drop but a Halo 3 bundle instead. But you'd think with that game being so close they would have let that one slip.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I could also see no price drop but a Halo 3 bundle instead. But you'd think with that game being so close they would have let that one slip.
    Why the hell would they do that? The game is guaranteed to make a really good profit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Why the hell would they do that? The game is guaranteed to make a really good profit.

Losing a $60 sale is less than dropping the price $100, and it will sell like hotcakes.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why would anyone buy the core, then?

The core is basically there just so people go: "Wow, that price isn't too bad".

Then, if they are sensible, they will look at the Premium, and step up to that. If they aren't sensible, they will buy the Core, and end up spending more money buying add-ons later.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

Then, if they are sensible, they will look at the Premium, and step up to that. If they aren't sensible, they will buy the Core, and end up spending more money buying add-ons later.

I always though the Core was released to fuck with those who bought at launch. Sorry, no more premiums, the one you really wanted. Go out and buy a harddrive, which we are sold out of, a wireless controller, and a component cable. Oh and a remote I guess. What, you spent an extra 120 bucks? Man, that sucks.

Last year I during my part time stock boy job I built two forts in the backroom. One nice but small one out of Premiums, and a huge fucking castle out of Cores. We all hear about how dumb the average consumer is but most of them who wanted a 'box knew that they didn't want the el cheapo model.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Now knowing that a DVD drive isn't covered. I imagine there will be a plethora of tricks to force your box to red ring so you can still get the repair.

Blake T on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Now knowing that a DVD drive isn't covered. I imagine there will be a plethora of tricks to force your box to red ring so you can still get the repair.
    Yeah, I would love to have them send me back my own sabotaged machine. I could have a death pool on when it will break again.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    im calling microsoft to get my 360 replaced.

i'm very happy

Sanius on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I understand the naysayers on this one; it ain't a solution to the problems. However, this has the potential to save me AU$200 numerous times over in the next two years. That's money that stays in my pocket and no doubt eventually winds up being spent on games, additional content, XBLA games, peripherals, Live. If they hadn't made this change I might have thrown my hands up the next time my console broke and MS would have never seen another cent.

I ran around the office telling everyone who owned a 360 and they had the same OMGAWEZOME reaction. Although one guy said 'WHY THE HELL DID I BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM EB THEN?!'

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm lucky that my 360 hasn't had a single problem since I've had it.

I hope I'm not jinxing it.

What is this 3 ring death thing about anyways? I heard something about foam rubber things inside the console that were the main source of the problem. Anyone care to elaborate?

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I understand the naysayers on this one; it ain't a solution to the problems. However, this has the potential to save me AU$200 numerous times over in the next two years. That's money that stays in my pocket and no doubt eventually winds up being spent on games, additional content, XBLA games, peripherals, Live. If they hadn't made this change I might have thrown my hands up the next time my console broke and MS would have never seen another cent.

I ran around the office telling everyone who owned a 360 and they had the same OMGAWEZOME reaction. Although one guy said 'WHY THE HELL DID I BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM EB THEN?!'

This reminds me of the simpsons episode where Homer becomes a genius. Lisa then starts wondering whether or not he has reverted back to his normal, stupid self.

"Look what I just bought! Extended warrenties!"

The EB warrenty does have the bonus to be a live swap, ie just bring it in and swap it over.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    okay it's done

my 360 repair is out

I payed exactly $0

i'm so happy

Sanius on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sanius wrote: »
    okay it's done

my 360 repair is out

I payed exactly $0

i'm so happy
    Awesome.

So the CS reps are already starting to do it, then? Neato.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm glad mine shit the bed over the weekend and I got my repair order in before the floodgates opened. Still waiting on that box, though.

Anyway, I was in warranty to begin with, but was planning on buying the extended. This makes me happy and $50 richer, which in turn makes me $50 less hungry and/or sober.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As said earlier in the thread if they are doing something this major for the 3 ring problem then there is a huge chance that they have fixed it in newer xboxs like said in the letter.

This combined with the possible price drop in the future makes me seriously want an xbox 360 :O!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As said earlier in the thread if they are doing something this major for the 3 ring problem then there is a huge chance that they have fixed it in newer xboxs like said in the letter.

This combined with the possible price drop in the future makes me seriously want an xbox 360 :O!

Exactly. If Microsoft (an incredibly successful company) is willing to throw 1 billion dollars and a 3 year guarantee at the problem, they aren't going to sit around without making some changes to the architecture of the new units/replacement units. The cost of adding better cooling or a slight redesign will be quite a lot smaller than sending everyone a new 360 every year.

I'm just so happy they owned up and apologized. That was really the only thing souring me on the 360 this generation, especially after seeing my own RROD. I couldn't be happier really. Now bring on the horribly fake E3 arm tattoo!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Retroactively reimbursing repair costs is an extremely classy move. Very impressed.

I wish it had Tekken. (If you don't like tekken just like, mentally blank out that sentence, because I don't need to hear your hatred of it. Trust me you wont be the first to inform me or others.)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2007

sorry but the 3 red lights has nothing to do with an optical drive. If it gets to the repair center the board will be replaced and when they see the optical drive is fubar (and out of warranty) you will get a call asking for money for the repair.

Dont try and take advantage of a good thing. For an optical drive repair its only around $50.

BigRed on
  • Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow. Now I can roam free on my 360 without fear!

On that note.. very very awesome, Microsoft. You might lose some money NOW, but you have our trust! Kinda.

PingPong on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

you can buy 360 HDDs online for $35 and VGA cables for $10.

Buy a core, then buy an HDD and VGA cable online, and you save $55 vs the premium.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What about wireless controller and headset if you want to play on live?

I cant use the 360 wired controller anymore, it just feels... wrong.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Buy a core, then buy an HDD and VGA cable online, and you save $55 vs the premium.

Wired Controller blows. so make that $15.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What about wireless controller and headset if you want to play on live?

I cant use the 360 wired controller anymore, it just feels... wrong.

No. Wrong is picking up the Controller S to play Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and feeling your hands literally rebelling against the very notion of using it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My console died yesterday. This is quite the coincidence.

Thello on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

But it works on the PC out the box and it never needs batteries.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

I replace batteries in my wireless controllers once every 2 months. I dont even use good batteries either, i use the cheapass ones you can get at bestbuy (dynex or whatever).
    Thats not really an issue, if it is get a play and charge kit :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

You solved your own problem then. Make it your default PC controller. Heck, I don't even have a 360 but I have a controller and one of those doohickies for my controller. Only thing I'd replace that with would be a wavebird, but I doubt anyone went through the trouble to make a PC wavebird reciever. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I use wired controllers. A single wire, to me, is not worth $30.

EDIT: Not to mention that the original point was that people who bought the core console were stupid because they'd lose money. Even if you went with a wireless controller, you still save $15.

Not to mention you have the option of buying it as you go. Maybe you don't WANT a VGA cable at the moment. Personally, I've had my 360 for almost a year now, and I still don't have an HDD. I bought a used memory card for $5 off craigslist and and I really don't feel compelled to buy a HDD yet.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wires are for philistines and people that enjoy torture.

Who wants to be shackled by strands of wire copper!

We stand by our right to wander off with the controllor in our hand and leave it in a different room and spend a day looking for it!

Blake T on