As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Microsoft revises Xbox 360 Warranty

• JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    You know, BigRed, I'd love to trust you.

But seriously - how the fuck can someone get and keep a job at Microsoft when they CONSTANTLY misspell the word "the".

In this thread alone you've a) maintained that Xbox failure rates aren't that bad, b) maintained that all of the recorded evidence that folks have regarding what they believe to be the problem with the 360 is wrong and c) used the word "teh" in nearly ever post.

Pony up and quit being coy. If you really work for "Teh MSeses": spit some figures on the defective rate. Give us a concise explanation as to what's wrong with it - and back it up. And for Christ's sake, buy a Macintosh and use the built-in spellchecker.

I work at MS and I will tell you that I've certainly met my fair share of bad spellers. In fact, one of the primary devs that I work with is notorious for his typos. :)

Anyway, I have no idea if BigRed actually works at MS, so I can't really back him up either way. However, I will say that it's pretty much a no-no to go into any specific detail into what you're looking for. So, if he actually says anything, then 1) He doesn't actually work at MS (and is probably thus lying), or 2) He doesn't care about getting into trouble. MS is great about letting its employees blog, chat in forums, message boards, etc. but it's pretty clear (and common sense, IMHO) that some things aren't supposed to be shared in public.

Oh, and I guess if anyone is in doubt whether I actually work for "Teh MSeses", I'm happy to provide proof. Or heck, I can point to myself in the picture where we played ping-pong with Gabe and Tycho or something.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JCRooks, just out of curiosity what's your job over at Microsoft? And is it a good place to work?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been wondering about this for a while, but is the story that apparently EU (or just Benelux? I don't know) xbox 360's miss some filt rings, which puts their lasers to close to the disc and have a chance to scratch both the disc and the laser, a story anywhere in the rest of the world? It's mainstream media news (8 o'clock news) in the Netherlands, with consumer programs doing monthly stories and basicly pressured MS into admitting the problem and paying for repairs, but on international sites I have never once seen it mentioned.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Three year warranty? Holy crap. That's pretty much unheard in the electronics world.

So is the horrifically bad failure rate of this electronic device and the terrible customer service and ridiculousness of having to send a single console in to be repaired (and having to pay each time) over ten times.
    Touche`

PS2?

Undead Scottsman on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    JCRooks, just out of curiosity what's your job over at Microsoft? And is it a good place to work?

I'm a lead SDET (Software Dev. Engineer in Test) for one of the games groups, specifically on the casual side of things. I think it's an awesome place to work, although I'm fortunate that I'm on a great team. That's certainly not the case throughout all of MS, though (just like with any large company). (Personally, I'd never want to work in the Windows or Office side of the business, just not my thing)

Anyway, I guess I should say something on topic. Today's news really surprised a lot of us (yes, it was kept secret to our group at least), and actually made many of us very, very happy. While 99% of the folks here don't know anything about the hardware side of things, of course we read about the red rings stuff all the time, both on the Internetz and also from our friends/family. While we don't know anything factual about the situation (although I will say that the failure rate for those of us who got launch consoles, is "surprisingly" low), we were still very bummed that our consumers seemed to be getting the raw end of the stick. Here we are busting our ass, trying to provide great game and platform experiences, but its hardware and the perception of it, which was causing a lot of people from just not trying our stuff.

So, having Peter Moore step up, make an apology, and institute a plan to really try to take care of the user base, just makes us happy again. Obviously we wish it didn't have to come to this at all, but que sera sera.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Three year warranty? Holy crap. That's pretty much unheard in the electronics world.

So is the horrifically bad failure rate of this electronic device and the terrible customer service and ridiculousness of having to send a single console in to be repaired (and having to pay each time) over ten times.
    Touche`

PS2?

Yea, the PS2 had some issues with DREs.

I still think they were a minor issue at best, I knew a *TON* of people with PS2's dating back from launch and not a single person I know had an issue. Ever.

Every single person I know with a 360 has had it red ring, including myself multiple times. Not to mention that the red ring is a huge serious hardware problem while the DRE issues with PS2 were pretty easy to fix with a cotton swab and some alcohol. I'm pretty sure the issues were no where near 360 calibur and PS2's I'm pretty sure were also fixed for free like MS is doing with the 360 now.

Karrmer on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Every person I know with a launch PS2 can't play "blue disc" (CD) games. Ico, for example, was on a CD.

Just saying.

Daedalus on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Every person I know with a launch PS2 can't play "blue disc" (CD) games. Ico, for example, was on a CD.

Just saying.

well my copy of The Sims plays fine on my ps2 and it's a blue disc, and if you're gonna bring up disc problems i could link the whole disc scratching incident with the xbox 360 if you want.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    I'm a lead SDET (Software Dev. Engineer in Test) for one of the games groups, specifically on the casual side of things.

So, you're a game tester for Microsoft Casual Games?

Developing unit tests, automating testing, that sort of thing?

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    I'm a lead SDET (Software Dev. Engineer in Test) for one of the games groups, specifically on the casual side of things.

So, you're a game tester for Microsoft Casual Games?

They can only test 4 hours a week.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damnit. My old one freezes without the red lights--which is also fairly common.

Samphis on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am tempted to sell my ps3 (which I bought because my 360 died) and buy another 360.

skippydumptruck on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Samphis wrote: »

That leads up to the red lights, duder.

It's really not a big deal, just say you did get the three lights even if you haven't yet. I sent out my second 360 under disc drive malfunction and added the three red light error just for good measure a month back.

It's not morally right, but they need to fix up current 360's anyway.

Ranced on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    You know, BigRed, I'd love to trust you.

But seriously - how the fuck can someone get and keep a job at Microsoft when they CONSTANTLY misspell the word "the".

In this thread alone you've a) maintained that Xbox failure rates aren't that bad, b) maintained that all of the recorded evidence that folks have regarding what they believe to be the problem with the 360 is wrong and c) used the word "teh" in nearly ever post.

Pony up and quit being coy. If you really work for "Teh MSeses": spit some figures on the defective rate. Give us a concise explanation as to what's wrong with it - and back it up. And for Christ's sake, buy a Macintosh and use the built-in spellchecker.

Sorry but I am not going to risk losing my job. If I do what you asked I would be thrown out of there within a few days.

I am happy to offer tech support for the 360 and give a little insight to why certain things happen to people but I guess you have never had a job where you had to guard secrets and had to sign your life away (NDA).

I also dont care about spelling (been a PC gamer for 10+ years now) and could care less what some peoples on the internet think.

I work at MS and I will tell you that I've certainly met my fair share of bad spellers. In fact, one of the primary devs that I work with is notorious for his typos. :)

Anyway, I have no idea if BigRed actually works at MS, so I can't really back him up either way. However, I will say that it's pretty much a no-no to go into any specific detail into what you're looking for. So, if he actually says anything, then 1) He doesn't actually work at MS (and is probably thus lying), or 2) He doesn't care about getting into trouble. MS is great about letting its employees blog, chat in forums, message boards, etc. but it's pretty clear (and common sense, IMHO) that some things aren't supposed to be shared in public.

Thanks for smacking some sense into them :P
    It is also true about peoples typos. My boss is terrible to the point where I have to decipher each of his emails to figure out wtf he wants.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ranced wrote: »

It's really not a big deal, just say you did get the three lights even if you haven't yet. I sent out my second 360 under disc drive malfunction and added the three red light error just for good measure a month back.

We can tell if it got the 3 red lights before or not.

Please dont try and take advantage of the system.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can you tell if someone has flashed their drive, is banned from xbox live, has blatantly broken their warranty (complete with sticker crappily pritt sticked back on)... if they send it back with 3 red lights?

Just, y'know, curious.

(And as I've pointed out before, I'm not a dirty pirate, I just love to tinker!)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited July 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

We can tell if it got the 3 red lights before or not.

In all seriousness, no, they really don't.

Ranced on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So MS will potentially be paying people a thousand dollars for past repairs? Wow. I wonder how many people will use that cash to buy a PS3? I would.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So MS will potentially be paying people a thousand dollars for past repairs? Wow. I wonder how many people will use that cash to buy a PS3? I would.

Your math skills are amazing. $140 is/was the repair fee and due to the length of time the 360 has been on the market the most anyone would have had to pay for one console is $140.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    With all due respect to JCRooks - BigRed: No. You're still coming across as an ubervague internet shillmachine. Honestly, at this point I'm picturing you in a plaid sports jacket with a white belt and a big cowboy hat frantically pumping your arms saying "Trust me, she's a great ship, take her for a spin around the harbor!"

Not trying to rain on your parade, mate, but verifying your authenticity would go a bit of the distance to getting us to buy "no, no, really, these widespread reports aren't widespread at all. I PROMISE." It's especially hard for me to buy this line from you when we've got a near ten percent DOA rate within 30 days across nearly 170 stores in Canada. If just under ten percent of these things are kicking off in the first month I think it stands to reason that these reports are much more accurate than you've been giving them credit for.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Your math skills are amazing. $140 is/was the repair fee and due to the length of time the 360 has been on the market the most anyone would have had to pay for one console is $140.

And what about the folks that have sent theirs in 3 times at $140 a pop? That's $420 in refund that they should be getting.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    jclast wrote: »

And what about the folks that have sent theirs in 3 times at $140 a pop? That's $420 in refund that they should be getting.

That would be quite impossible, what with you getting a "free" year of warranty after paying the repair fee.

Ranced on
  • Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Am I to understand that Microsoft admitted there consoles are faulty, and extended the Warranty for all 360 owners by 3 years? But they are still not fixing the console itself, they are just allowing you to live out the three years that they are giving you until the warranty dies out and you need to buy another 360?

Vicious_GSR on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    That's the weirdest warranty ever, but cool.

Mostlybecause warranties are generally arbitrary, and designed so that it is difficult to invoke them.

But MSoft,seeing a flaw in their product design, and not wanting to deal with the expense of a recall (let alone the non-fiscall issues that entails) decided to go a different route, and institute a more practical warranty.

Not to mention that this gives them a GREAT chance to turn some bad press into good PR.

Kudos, MSoft, for finding a way to help the customers while also helping yourself, and proving, once again, that capitalism doesn't have to mean screwing over the little guy.

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    Am I to understand that Microsoft admitted there consoles are faulty, and extended the Warranty for all 360 owners by 3 years? But they are still not fixing the console itself, they are just allowing you to live out the three years that they are giving you until the warranty dies out and you need to buy another 360?

you didn't read the articles did you

hell, you didn't read the op

Ranced on
    edited July 2007

I just woke up to this, I don't know what the hell is going on!

(fill me in please, because if this means I can buy a 360 all the better)

(Edit: Took a look see, does this mean that all consoles in store are going to be fixed?)

Vicious_GSR on
    edited July 2007

I just woke up to this, I don't know what the hell is going on!

(fill me in please, because if this means I can buy a 360 all the better)
    The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles have had a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out. But when anyone questions the reliability of our product, or our commitment to our customers, it’s something I take very seriously.

We have been following this issue closely, and with on-going testing have identified several factors that can cause a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

edit: t vicious, no not yet. these new parts, whatever they are, won't somehow get into current 360's. i'd wait a couple of months for the improvements. though i'm seeing they will be incorporated in future refurbs much sooner

Ranced on
  • shadeedgeshadeedge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This may have already been asked and answered, but; if you send/sent yours off for repairs and got a replacement back, does the warranty cover the new machine?

shadeedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007

They recognized that there are issues with a (notable) minority of consoles. They have offered an extension of the warranties SPECIFICALLY to cover these issues.

The system itself was only release about a year and a half ago, so there is NO ONE who this doesn't cover, in fact, it probably would even be applicable on used systems too.

AND they are going to reimburse anyone who actually had to pay for repairs in the past. That is money right out of their pockets, which is not common to see a company doing.

A three year warranty is pretty damn good on a consumer electronic these days, with most things coming in at only one year, or even 90 days. You can try to spin this into an "admission" of guilt, but really, what would you want them to do? Give everyone who currently has a system a brand new one? That is impossible.

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    Okay cool :)

It's good to know that the time is almost come that I can buy one :D

Vicious_GSR on
    edited July 2007

That would be quite impossible, what with you getting a "free" year of warranty after paying the repair fee.

Touché.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007

What kind of idiot would pay a thousand dollars for repairs, when the system itself is only 400 bucks tops?

Evander on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    So Instead of fixing the problem, they issued longer warrenties. Well, I don't think thats the source of the problem but whatever. Still not going to get one unless they fix the probleming causing thing in the first place.

Katchem_ash on
    edited July 2007
    shadeedge wrote: »
    This may have already been asked and answered, but; if you send/sent yours off for repairs and got a replacement back, does the warranty cover the new machine?

yes

edit: and katchem ash didn't read the op either. just scroll up to my previous post to see what's what

Ranced on
    edited July 2007
    So Instead of fixing the problem, they issued longer warrenties. Well, I don't think thats the source of the problem but whatever. Still not going to get one unless they fix the probleming causing thing in the first place.

Read the OP and the article linked to it.

EDIT: Fuck. Top of page, and I don't have anything else to contribute.
    Here, have a TMNT emoticon! It's relevant because both turles and the 360 logo are green!

emot-ooze.gif

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If this is true, then Microsoft just sold me on the 360 again. After reading about all the hardware issues, I had decided not to buy one. It's back on the list (although, I might a couple more months for the new, improved consoles to hit the shelves).

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

Here, have a TMNT emoticon! It's relevant because both turles and the 360 logo are green!

emot-ooze.gif

I read the op. The acknowledged that there was a problem and would be increasing the warrenty and make it free. It still doesn't solve the problem, this is like putting a nice little bandage on a sliced off arm.

Katchem_ash on
    edited July 2007

And once they fix problems, you'll bitch about the lack of JRPGs for you to wank to.

Etcetera

Evander on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

emot-ooze.gif

I read the op. The acknowledged that there was a problem and would be increasing the warrenty and make it free. It still doesn't solve the problem, this is like putting a nice little bandage on a sliced off arm.
    OP wrote:
    To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

Right there. Learn2fuckingreadingcomprehension.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007

emot-ooze.gif

They didn't just acknowledge to problem, they said that they identified the cause of it.

Do you think they'd state that if they had no intention of then going ahead and fixing it in new production?

Peter Moore didn't say that he's probably going to be taking a dump sometime in the next coupleof days, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Use whatever excuse you have for a brain.

Evander on