As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I buy this Les Paul: Now with Pics

MishraMishra Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an oppertunity to buy a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Classic AAA flametop for $1700 What do you guys think good deal not? Sadly the guys has no pictures but I'm going to go take a look.

edit: After noticing a few looks with no replies I should clarify. I'm at work which blocks e-bay and the like so i can't check if this is a good price or not. Mainly this is what i'm looking for, I'll check the guitar's condition myself, though the seller claims it's near mint

"Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Mishra on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here are the two eBay listings I saw:
    Ebay wrote:
    Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition AAA FlameTop !

LE #204/275 ExCn w/OHSC +FREE USA Ship Or $99 Worldwide
    $1,899.99 Buy It Now $2,399.99
    Remaining 2h 13m (no bids)

$1,629.00 Buy It Now $1,649.00
    Remaining 11h 06m (no bids)

Edit: Both seller's descriptions say these were from 2004.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    embrik wrote: »
    Ebay wrote:

well that's close, this would be a classic premium plus Les Paul which were discontinued in 1997 with a short reissue from 1999-2001. Thanks though, seems like a fairly standard price. Anyone ever played with one fo these?

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gibson has a warning page up somewhere about the increased fraud on counterfeit Gibsons being sold in the US over Craigslist and Ebay. Be sure he has all the documentation and ask him to fax / email you copies of it so you can get it verified through Gibson.

edit: This isn't the link I was looking for, but it gives you the jist of what you should be looking for. There is a spot on Gibson's site that has pictures and information on how to spot one.

stigweard on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mishra wrote: »
    embrik wrote: »
    Ebay wrote:

well that's close, this would be a classic premium plus Les Paul which were discontinued in 1997 with a short reissue from 1999-2001. Thanks though, seems like a fairly standard price. Anyone ever played with one fo these?

Not a 1993 flame top gibson les paul, but I do HAVE a gibson les paul and I enjoy it immensely. Such a fat tone, so nice.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's really not that great a price, considering that new today they go for $1800, and considering this is used, from 1993, $1700 is pushing it. Check its condition, whether it has the original hard shell case, the original papers, and what condition the guitar is in. If the guitar is mint, I would say that $1300-$1500 is the proper price, you can usually walk into any Guitar Center and talk down a new Classic to his asking price.

limester816 on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    It's really not that great a price, considering that new today they go for $1800, and considering this is used, from 1993, $1700 is pushing it. Check its condition, whether it has the original hard shell case, the original papers, and what condition the guitar is in. If the guitar is mint, I would say that $1300-$1500 is the proper price, you can usually walk into any Guitar Center and talk down a new Classic to his asking price.

Instruments increase in value. Just an FYI, chief. Especially since Gibson's quality control in the early 90's was considerably more discerning than it is today.

Depending on the condition, $1700 is a good deal.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Knob wrote: »

Instruments increase in value. Just an FYI, chief. Especially since Gibson's quality control in the early 90's was considerably more discerning than it is today.

Depending on the condition, $1700 is a good deal.

Condition was basically unplayed, though he had no documentation and the case has been beat to shit. I had him write up a receipt though if I need to go to small claims. She plays nice. Comments?
    dsc00679kr8.jpg
    dsc00687br6.jpg
    dsc00688kq2.jpg
    dsc00689zv7.jpg

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks to be in great condition. I'd try to talk her down to about 1500, but other than that, go for it.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks to me like a epiphone that had its neck and headstock replaced with the gibson version. Which would be a sweet way to make some money!

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    holycrapawalrusholycrapawalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Murago wrote: »
    Looks to me like a epiphone that had its neck and headstock replaced with the gibson version. Which would be a sweet way to make some money!

I agree with this, I wouldn't have bought it without documentation.

holycrapawalrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

What exactly make you say this?

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't personally. Would you have wanted one if the opportunity hadn't come up? It's not a once in a lifetime deal, I'd wait and think about it and then buy from a seller with no pressure for a quick sale.

Tube on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Send the serial number to Gibson and find out. They should be able to tell you if it's genuine or not.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What exactly make you say this?

Take some shots of the headstock with your macro setting on. Maybe if we can get a better look. It looks real enough to me and I'd imagine you'd have to use some pretty heavy adhesion to remove a headstock from one instrument and put it on another one and have it show no seams, glue dribblings, or, hell, even staying straight with the tension of the in tune strings. But, I think I'd need to see it to be sure, though a better photograph or set might help.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yea its hard to do if you don't know what you're doing. Do you know if the seller was a luthier?

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yea its hard to do if you don't know what you're doing. Do you know if the seller was a luthier?

Nah guy was a song writer. I doubt he'd have the expertise, this is why I'm wondering what specifically makes you thing it's an Epiphone body, I can attest that in person the finish is beautiful and I see no blemishes on the headstock

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you aren't positive it is the real thing, there are some things you can check out what will help. I finally found the link on the Gibson site for detecting a counterfeit here. They may or may not allow you to checkout the wiring, since it is a pretty big thing to ask, but I would rather be safe than sorry when they don't have the paperwork for it.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    If you aren't positive it is the real thing, there are some things you can check out what will help. I finally found the link on the Gibson site for detecting a counterfeit here. They may or may not allow you to checkout the wiring, since it is a pretty big thing to ask, but I would rather be safe than sorry when they don't have the paperwork for it.

Looks authentic according to the pictures. I've put in a request to Gibson for info on the Serial number. I'm going to take it in to a guitar shop. Like I said I had the guy sign a receipt stating he was selling me a 1993 Gibson Les Paul. If he didn't I should be able to get my money back, even if it takes a while. For the moment it sounds great though my strat accustomed fingers need to get used to it. I appreciate the help folks I'll post an update when I get confirmation.

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Called Gibson, The serial number belongs to a 1993 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus according to this
    article one in excellent condition will retail for $2200-$2600. Thanks a bunch for the advice guys.

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bear in mind the Classic is not in any way a classic Les Paul. They're set up for a far more modern tone, with thinner necks, jumbo frets and higher output pickups.

I'm sure you might like it, but it's not your typical Les Paul.

(I might be wrong, I should add)

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bear in mind the Classic is not in any way a classic Les Paul. They're set up for a far more modern tone, with thinner necks, jumbo frets and higher output pickups.

Well, this one's set up with the 57 pickups and sports the thinner 60's neck. So far I'm liking it, very different from my Strat. Sounds great through my Rockman gear.

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well, this one's set up with the 57 pickups and sports the thinner 60's neck. So far I'm liking it, very different from my Strat. Sounds great through my Rockman gear.

If it's what you were looking for, then congratulations! I'm a Les Paul player myself and I couldn't be happier. Beautiful guitars, play like a dream, tone to die for. They're not as flexible as a Strat but, with one of each, you can't go wrong.

Bob The Monkey on
This discussion has been closed.