As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ID this toy for me!

2»

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I heard about these. Would anyone actually bother transforming them into rock mode? "Hey, check out my plastic rock!"

When you and your friend get in an argument, your Rocklord can instantly transform into a bludgeoning device

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hell yes. I had the green one with two faces and the nugget one. So badass.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There has to be at least a witty comment on Rocklords against the Transformer movie.

Ahem.

So, who's directing this movie?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did anyone else have the black one that could shoot his arm off and use it for a grappling hook? He was like the Mr. T of the rock lords.

RocklordStoneHookLoose1a.jpg

I've got a whole set of them kicking around somewhere, including one that transforms into a totally sweet looking pterodactyl.

RocklordsBird.gif

Here's the car thing in plane mode. I'd forgotten how much the car resembled a giant turd.
    RockStonewing1a.jpg
    RockStonewing1b.jpg

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man I had that Tailwind A-10 guy, that had to be one of the worst transforming toys ever. Arms don't move, legs are fused together and it just bends at the knees, oh the possibilities.

I also had Nugget, but I had no idea it was part of Rocklords. I've never seen those other ones before.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those who are saying you wouldn't transform them into their rock forms are totally missing the point of the toys.

They are rocks. You can throw them at peoples heads. You can carry them round with you for this express purpose and YOUR PARENTS WOULD NEVER KNOW.

Rocklords - Rocks in disguise.

malerik on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    malerik wrote: »
    Those who are saying you wouldn't transform them into their rock forms are totally missing the point of the toys.

They are rocks. You can throw them at peoples heads. You can carry them round with you for this express purpose and YOUR PARENTS WOULD NEVER KNOW.

Rocklords - Rocks in disguise.

You could do much more damage with an actual Transformer. They were mostly die-cast and solid as hell, after all. You could probably kill someone with Trypticon.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I heard about these. Would anyone actually bother transforming them into rock mode? "Hey, check out my plastic rock!"

It was for throwing at your sister.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love these threads! I haven't even thought about these guys for many years. I had nuggit and slimestone.

RocklordsSlimestone1a.jpg

These were around the same time as Battle Beasts, with the heat-sensitive holograms on their chests. Didn't realize they were made by the same company as transformers.

FiguresListPic1a.jpg

cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god, I have tons of Battle Beasts in my parents' attic. I'd almost forgotten about those.

FIRE! WOOD! WATER!

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shit those things were awesome, I used to have a bunch of those.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    This is neither Games not Technology. We have other forums folks. Filled with nice people.

(It could have gone in H/A but this seems to have changed into a conversation rather than a request for help)

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007

I can assure the act of transforming was infinitely more entertaining than playing with the toy in either form individually. Actually one of them was almost cool, he was black and his transformation literally did look like a turd but his arm turned into a recoiling grappling hook that provided minutes of play value.

Edit* it's the guy Dangerous just posted.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had nuget.

Transforming rocks is still the dumbest possible idea ever.

Oh, and toss me a PM with a link to your TFs once you put them up on Ebay. I may wish to purchase some.

Accualt on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Battle Beasts were indeed awesome.

Does anyone remember a toy from the 80's that had a soft plastic-esque skin over a hard plastic bone for their face, and you could somehow press something on their back and it would switch the face to something else? I vaguely recall one with it's face going from man to lion. I remember that this switching would only work a few days before it broke, too.

Sorry for this terrible description but this was like 20 years ago now, and I don't have the toys anymore but it always bugs me that I have no idea what it is.

JeffH on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    I had a toy when I was younger. It was a red.. mech, I guess you could say. Not humanoid. Had 2 legs, a 'pod' and 2 arms with 3 (I think) claws on each.

It was pretty cool.

I have no idea what it was from.

That sounds a lot like Exo Squad. I loved that show...

http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~pdanner/exo/toylist.html

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Holy shit, I had that Nuggit thing! I never had any idea it was part of some sort of series. And two of those original series exo-squads!

Damn, this takes me back

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, is this turning into a more general "name that toy" thread?

I didn't have any rock lords, but I did have this one thing that was a puppet, except it was slimy and looked like the bastard child of Slimer and a Gremlin. Oh, and you could move its eyes with a switch inside.

I remember there were little crappy ones and big awesome ones, and their packaging was made to look like a cage...

What the heck were those things called?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Battle Beasts were so awesome. I had a bunch of them, and the little heat sensitive stickers were coming off because I played with them so much.

Maybe you guys can help identify another toy - they were tiny little rubber monsters, about the same size as the battle beasts. I remember there being a lot of mythological creatures, like a hydra and a minotaur. They were all solid colours, usually bright pink or yellow or green. Each one had a number on the bottom of its foot, and the idea was that you'd pull two of them out of a bag/your pocket/whatever, and whichever one had the higher number won the battle. Or something like that.

EDIT:

I didn't have any rock lords, but I did have this one thing that was a puppet, except it was slimy and looked like the bastard child of Slimer and a Gremlin. Oh, and you could move its eyes with a switch inside.

I remember there were little crappy ones and big awesome ones, and their packaging was made to look like a cage...

Boglins! I loved those things.

elevature on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    elevature wrote: »
    Battle Beasts were so awesome. I had a bunch of them, and the little heat sensitive stickers were coming off because I played with them so much.

Maybe you guys can help identify another toy - they were tiny little rubber monsters, about the same size as the battle beasts. I remember there being a lot of mythological creatures, like a hydra and a minotaur. They were all solid colours, usually bright pink or yellow or green. Each one had a number on the bottom of its foot, and the idea was that you'd pull two of them out of a bag/your pocket/whatever, and whichever one had the higher number won the battle. Or something like that.

EDIT:

Boglins!. I loved those things.

Those little figures with the numbers are most likely the M.U.S.C.L.E. figurines, based on the longrunning Kinnikuman (sp?) manga/anime series.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    elevature wrote: »

EDIT:

Boglins!. I loved those things.

Those little figures with the numbers are most likely the M.U.S.C.L.E. figurines, based on the longrunning Kinnikuman (sp?) manga/anime series.

I think he means monster in my pocket actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_In_My_Pocket

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I googled those, and while I did have them (and loved them!), those aren't the same ones. They're very similar, but the monster ones came in various colours and I'm pretty sure there were no human-type characters.

elevature on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Other than Transformers, I really digged the M.A.S.K. toys. They were kickass.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like Monster in my Pocket, yeah. I still have a big volcano-shaped display of a collector's set of them, and probably more elsewhere.

They're the reason why Pokemon isn't Pocket Monsters over here.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    saint2e wrote: »

:^:

I had the giant big rig that a huge fucking cannon in the back of it. It launched a pretty hefty projectile the size of a child's fist a good 7-8 feet - far beyond the range of modern sissy toys. I would build random structures of Legos and then fire that thing at it until I'd obliterated it. Good times.

My favorite MASK vehicle was the black Firebird (?) that turned into a hydroplane. This one.

And here's the truck:

outlaw.jpg

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

:^:

I had the giant big rig that a huge fucking cannon in the back of it. It launched a pretty hefty projectile the size of a child's fist a good 7-8 feet - far beyond the range of modern sissy toys. I would build random structures of Legos and then fire that thing at it until I'd obliterated it. Good times.

My favorite MASK vehicle was the black Firebird (?) that turned into a hydroplane. This one.

And here's the truck:

*picture*

Awesome! I always wanted that one! I had a car/boat and a chopper/jet:

maskgator2c.jpg
    Switchblade.jpgmaskswitchblade1c.jpg

The Chopper/Jet was my favourite toy for AGES. So cool.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Awesome! I always wanted that one! I had a car/boat and a chopper/jet:

maskgator2c.jpg
    Switchblade.jpgmaskswitchblade1c.jpg

The Chopper/Jet was my favourite toy for AGES. So cool.

I was going through that page, and came to the conclusion that I owned almost all of them.

I guess I was pretty goddamned spoiled.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Right around the time the Rock Lords and the Transformers movies came out, I traded my friend my Rodimus Prime Transformer and my Rock Lords Nugget for this awesome, transforming robot. I lost it, probably close to a decade ago, and I would love to get my hands on another one, but I have no idea how to identify it.

It was basically an animal version of one of the Macross Valkyrie places. It stood close to a foot tall. Its robot form looked somewhat like a knight, and it transformed into a robotic gryphon. The entire thing was gaudily colored (very dark pink, neon green, orange), but it was a beloved toy, and I've been simply unable to find it anywhere.

Knockoff2a.jpg

The figure on the left is the closest I've ever seen to it, but that thing is blocky and ugly. This thing looked like an actual Anime robot, but about a decade before anime really became all that popular. Similiar color scheme though.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nope, the first guess was right, I was talking about Boglins, thanks!

I had one of those, and brought it to grade school once. During lunch, I snuck under one of the tables where the girls were sitting, and, with my Boglin on my hand, popped him up between the tables to terrorize the girls. They jumped up screaming, it was great! Then they threw their lunches at me.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know my friends growing up had a few rocklords, including the shiny ones and at least one of the fuzzy ones.

I also have one or two of those transforming rock egg things somewhere. A Rhino and a purple.. dinosaur I think.

Also, a He-Man figure that turns in to a rock.

Man.

How did our generation not all become geologists.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    I had a toy when I was younger. It was a red.. mech, I guess you could say. Not humanoid. Had 2 legs, a 'pod' and 2 arms with 3 (I think) claws on each.

It was pretty cool.

I have no idea what it was from.

That sounds a lot like Exo Squad. I loved that show...

http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~pdanner/exo/toylist.html

Might have been! Sadly half the images don't work and the other half act like they're on dial-up.

A bit more of a description:

The legs were held on the same rod at the base of the 'pod' and as such could not be moved independently. IE, if left leg was pushed up, so was the right leg.

The pod is very similar to the aquatic Metal Gear from MGS2. That is, shape wise, not design/colour, etc wise. Basically a long oval thing with (I think) sharp endings on each side.

The arms could be moved independently, but the only movement was the movement where the arms connected to the pod. The 'hands' pointed inwards and had 3-4 claws on them.

Also, the whole thing was rouge coloured.

That's all I can remember.

Magus` on