As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alvin and the Chipmunks: CGI, hip-hop, and coming this Xmas.

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
420px-1183516320598.jpg

Does this need words, or will just the image suffice to blow your minds?

At the behest of the mods!

Director:Tim Hill

Writers:Ross Bagdasarian (creator)
Don Rhymer
more
Release Date:14 December 2007 (USA) more
Genre:Animation
Tagline:Here comes trouble. more
Plot Outline:Based on the 1950s cartoon series about a music group of chipmunks comprised of mischievous group leader Alvin; tall and quiet Simon; and chubby, impressionable Theodore.
Plot Synopsis:This plot synopsis is empty. Add a synopsis
Production Notes/Status:
Comments:
Status Updated:28 June 2007
Note:Because this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change; some data could be removed completely.

jungleroomx on

• Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nooooo! Stop raping my childhood Hollywood!

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This wasn't even good then, how will it ever be good now?

Crayon on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is...is that Jason Lee?

God dammit.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry i cant see what i am typoing, i stabbed my eyes out of my sjull

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn... how long before a Gummie Bears movie?

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is...is that Jason Lee?

God dammit.

It is.

It fucking is.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Is...is that Jason Lee?

God dammit.

It is.

It fucking is.

LIES! FILTHY FRACKING LIES!

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This has to be a fake.

It's too stupid to possibly be real.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    This has to be a fake.

It's on IMDB.

It's real.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Do you want to expand the OP, or should I lock it because I have no idea what any of you are talking about?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Do you want to expand the OP, or should I lock it because I have no idea what any of you are talking about?

alvin & the chipmunks was a horrible, horrible cartoon show from the 80s based on horrible horrible characters created by a guy from the 50's who realized you could make voices sound higher by spinning your LP's really fast. even when i watched the damn thing when i was like 5 i remember thinking, "i HATE this, why is tv doing this to me?"

i know that LOL 70'S AND 80'S NOSTALGIA is super big right now but WHHHHYYYY??!? 99.9% of the cartoons and shows came out of the 70's and 80's were utter horseshit, and i don't know why gen xers want to shove this crap down our throats like they've been doing.

underdog?
    garfield?
    scooby doo?
    dudley doright?
    rocky and bullwinkle?
    josie and the pussycats?
    brady bunch?

CHRIST THIS STUFF WAS MOSTLY TERRIBLE WHY MAKE IT AGAIN? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: i'll give you transformers, but the only reason why it works is because it's a concept that you can go ridiculously over the top with the kind of technology that we've got today. try and make that movie ten or 15 years ago and it crashes and burns

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm just wondering why Simon looks like he stepped out of a low-rent House Party rip-off.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd also like to add that the 80's Chipmunks was a pop-culture cash-in Saturday morning cartoon record labels used to whore out their latest songs with a small video clip at the end of the show.

I mean, this is the kind of crap you see in movies about cash-ins. I hope this bombs so hard that anyone involved with the creation of this never works again. Yes, even you Mr. Lee. I understand artists need to eat too, but this crap?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    This has to be a fake.

The posters are in theaters. Unless this is an expensive "Psych!" campaign, it is all too real.

When I saw this a few days back, I wasn't sure what to think. Oh sure, this will suck and just another forgettable blight on the face of the movie industry. If this even has the quality that the two Garfield movies has, I will be surprised.

And like most others, my thoughts immediately raced to, "My precious, precious childhood! Why do you rape it so?!" But then I took a moment to realize that I don't really have a special place in my heart for Alvin and/or the Chipmunks. The only reason I watched it so much as a child was because it was on Nickelodeon often enough, I had no sense of quality at the time, and it was mediocre enough that I didn't see anything wrong with it. And to think about it even further, I'm curious as to how this even became a part of my life. Alvin and the Chipmunks started off as a novelty musical act in the fifties which was popular enough that it was given a short-lived TV show in the early 60s. It should have ended there. Every so often some new Chipmunks special would come out on TV, but by the early 70s the brand was essentially dead (from what I can tell). However! For some unknown reason to me, this IP was resurrected in the 80s. And boy, did it ever smack of the 80s. Alvin was given an updated attitude, and if I recall correctly, at the end of every episode he would jam away on a guitar. And there were now female chipmunk counterparts, too. Alvin's female double was such an 80s girl that I wouldn't be surprised if she died on January 1, 1990.

Again, this is a horrible brand. It was never good. Chipmunks which were four feet tall (on average), could talk and wear clothes (at least they're wearing normal clothes in the poster, but yet no pants), and sang. But for the most part they just dealt with wacky adventures in their day-to-day lives. As much as I want to deride this setup, parts of it are apparent in just about all children's programming. But all I have to do is think back to shows like Rescue Rangers and TMNT to know that there was much better out there at the time. So when I complain about this movie, it is done not because they are updating something from my childhood in a poor way, but because they've chosen a brand name which was second-rate at best and now I have to be reminded of it for the next 6 months.

Gim on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw this poster when I walked out of the bathroom before seeing Transformers the other day. I had to stop for a minute, make sure it was Jason Lee, and take it all in. Then I called my friends over. They did the same.

It was a very sad time for us.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    WHY JASON? WHYYY!

You were suppose to bring quality to the movies, not destroy them completely!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I just threw up a little.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I dont know... This film may be so bad that its good. lol.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Guys, I think it's time for Jason Lee to get a good deep dickin. That might straighten all of this out.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Plot Synopsis:This plot is empty. Add a synopsis

I read it as this at first and thought this was the OPs attempt at being a clever fucker. I'm sure it's not far from the truth.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How much do you want to bet they will try and make the chipmunks cool and add rapping?

This is an awful idea.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Plot Synopsis:This plot is empty. Add a synopsis

I read it as this at first and thought this was the OPs attempt at being a clever fucker. I'm sure it's not far from the truth.

Thats straight from IMDB. Wish I could take credit.

I would imagine the plot will revolve around the heavy dependency musical artists have with drugs and sex, and leap directly into a portrait of everything that is wrong with pop culture.

Or it could be derivative crap. Could go either way at this point.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    ut all I have to do is think back to shows like Rescue Rangers and TMNT to know that there was much better out there at the time.

Uh... think back harder. The 80's Turtle cartoon was fucking atrocious. If you think it wasn't, that's because you haven't watched it since you were 9.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am so deliriously happy about this.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That looks like The Rock to me, but I can't smell what he's cooking.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jason's not even anything like the guy from the cartoon.

He could be this film's only saving grace, but I don't see how, unless they call him a tracer and he kicks their teeth down their throats.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's a Nubian?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He looked like Stephen Colbert at first, and then I got excited imagining Colbert yelling, "Aaaalllvvviiiinnn!"

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Boo!

Shinto on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yggrchipmunklf1.jpg

Azio on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lawl.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just figured Alvin was the Unibomber.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm trying to remain an optimist, but seeing things like this just causes me to lose more and more faith in humanity.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    ut all I have to do is think back to shows like Rescue Rangers and TMNT to know that there was much better out there at the time.

Uh... think back harder. The 80's Turtle cartoon was fucking atrocious. If you think it wasn't, that's because you haven't watched it since you were 9.

But at least it was entertaining. I can understand little kids liking Turtles who are mutated into teenage ninjas. It's ridiculous, but at least there's something there. Alvin and the Chipmunks never had anything going for it ever outside of a kitschy record or two in the 50s. The fact that it was brought back in the 80s was because of people who remembered it fondly in the 50s and 60s. Now that it's being brought back in the 00s is because of people who remember it from the 80s. It's fucking second generation nostalgia by now. This is Simulacrum run amok with none of the charm or anything interesting whatsoever. Each time they just pile on what is vaguely popular at the time, and have yet to do it well.

tl;dr Ninja turtles beat the snot out of singing chipmunks on all levels

Gim on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He looked like Stephen Colbert at first, and then I got excited imagining Colbert yelling, "Aaaalllvvviiiinnn!"

I would see this movie if Stephen Colbert were in it. I probably wouldn't survive it, though.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys, I think it's time for Jason Lee to get a good deep dickin. That might straighten all of this out.

"Straighten" out?

I would think that would have the opposite effect...

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I think you're confusing the effects of being fucked in the ass and getting hit in the back of the head with a shovel.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn... how long before a Gummie Bears movie?

NO

brand new, CGI Care Bears

LRG on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

"Straighten" out?

I would think that would have the opposite effect...

I'm not sure if you guys missed the reference or not.

But getting fucked in the ass might make him rethink his current career path, seeing how he's slowly become a whore on the scale of Brendan Fraser, another awesome actor that went the path of crappy children movies.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Say what you want but I consider this to be one of the finest album covers of all time:

600pxchipmunkpunkcoversg2.jpg

Treeloot on