As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fables: Legends in Exile

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Graphic Violence
So yeah, been awhile since we had a Fables thread. I just finished reading Homelands and Mean Seasons. SPECTACULAR!!!!!!! How is Jack of Fables or whatever that spin off is? Lets discuss.

THIS OP IS TERRIBLE SO I USED SOMEONE ELSE'S
Anjin-San wrote: »
MY GOOD COUSIN YOU MIGHT ALL KNOW AS THE NOW AS HERALD H. WIKIPEDIA SAYS:

Fables is a Vertigo comic book series created and written by Bill Willingham. It takes place in a continuity of its own, and is unrelated to the larger DC Comics continuity. (It is not, as Booklist reported, a spinoff of The Sandman.) The series deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklore who have been forced out of their Homelands by a mysterious enemy known as the Adversary. They travel to our world and form a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown. Characters from fables with non-human appearance must live at the "Farm" in upstate New York.

Collected:

Fables: Animal Farm
Fables: Storybook Love
Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers
Fables: The Mean Seasons
Fables: Homelands
Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days)
Fables: Wolves
Fables: Sons of Empire

There's also 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

Umm....Fable is about the crazy adventures of public domain fairytale folk.

Bucketman on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jack of Fables is awesome.

Your OP sucks ass.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Your OP sucks ass.

no kidding

someone fix that shit

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Im gonna make some lunch, if no one has done it yet when I get back I'll make a better one. and put it into post #2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MY GOOD COUSIN YOU MIGHT ALL KNOW AS THE NOW FAMOUS HERALD H. WIKIPEDIA SAYS:

Fables is a Vertigo comic book series created and written by Bill Willingham. It takes place in a continuity of its own, and is unrelated to the larger DC Comics continuity. (It is not, as Booklist reported, a spinoff of The Sandman.) The series deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklore who have been forced out of their Homelands by a mysterious enemy known as the Adversary. They travel to our world and form a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown. Characters from fables with non-human appearance must live at the "Farm" in upstate New York.

Collected:

Fables: Animal Farm
    Fables: Storybook Love
    Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers
    Fables: The Mean Seasons
    Fables: Homelands
    Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days)
    Fables: Wolves
    Fables: Sons of Empire

There's also 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

Umm....Fable is about the crazy adventures of public domain fairytale folk.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How can I find out if anything is on the cusp of entering the public domain, for the purposes of seeing what new characters we could one day see in Fables or similar books/productions?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If comics were men...

Fables is the well-spoken and respectable man your mother wants you to marry.

Jack of Fables is his bastard brother you end up sleeping with before or possibly during the wedding.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does Fables get better later on? Because I read the first few issues and it didn't really grab me. Not bad, by any means, just nothing terribly exciting.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Does Fables get better later on? Because I read the first few issues and it didn't really grab me. Not bad, by any means, just nothing terribly exciting.
    Very much so. The first story arc is just a whodunit with characters from Fables.

After that is done it expands into the main story.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    I think I'm the only person who really liked volume one.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I liked it, I mean for a Whodunit it's good.

But I vastly prefer the main story that begins with Volume 2.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I'm the only person who really liked volume one.

I liked it too.

Then again I'm a sucker for detective stories.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Years of cinema unfortunately taught me to
    never consider someone dead when there's no body

and that spoiled the experience for me.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh geez, I love Fables with a fiery passion. i've turned on so many of my friends to the glory that is Fables. Sadly I have not read Jack of Fables or 1001 nights of snowfall yet.

I gotta get on that.

Oh and I also enjoyed Volume 1, however:
    Boy Blue's crusade into the homelands has been the highlight for me. Ye gods, that last battle at the castle. Awesome!

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Why is the first couple of books they make it a point of pointing out how bad all the Fables tip?

graizur on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    Why is the first couple of books they make it a point of pointing out how bad all the Fables tip?

To dispel the notion of "Happily Ever After..."

Shows that it doesn't happen. My favourite character is Prince Charming. The way they portray him is classic.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I admire his cocksmanship.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    saint2e wrote: »

Shows that it doesn't happen. My favourite character is Prince Charming. The way they portray him is classic.

Really? Even the fables with money don't tip well like Bigby etc.

Why do they all live in one area and why is that are in Manhattan?

graizur on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Sorry, I read your post wrong. I dunno about the tip thing. Could be a jab at New Yorkers.

They actually live in two areas: New York for the normal lookin' Fables (probably because it's New York, and their.. weirdness.. woudln't stand out), and a farm in upstate New York for the weirdos (ie- talking pigs, Trolls, Giants, etc.)

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Dude

they explain the one area bit quite a few times in the first volume, plus there's the whole Farm area. It's in Manhattan because that's where they decided to put it.

They don't tip because they are all saving their fortunes for when they can return to their lands, whoever has the most money when that happens has the most power.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Conversely, beastiality.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Conversely, beastiality.

Yes, but it works so well.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jack of Fables #11:
    So Jack ends up having a child with Lumi, the eventually evil Snow Queen. Anyone want to guess if the child is still alive, and if it is, is it a character that we have seen before in Fables?

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry my OP sucked. I'll make up for it later. I was on my way out the door. But I actully really enjoyed the first volume. Is it still going on right now, or did the series end with Volume 9?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It is still ongoing, as is Jack of Fables

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    A big question I have about Lumi is wheather or not she was originally concieved out of wood. Is she the original or a wooden replacement. If she is a replacement how much of her is wood. If she isn't a replacement how did she become alligned with The Adversary?

Also is she a representative of the White Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia or some other fairy tale, if so which fairy tale?

graizur on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A big question I have about Lumi is wheather or not she was originally concieved out of wood. Is she the original or a wooden replacement. If she is a replacement how much of her is wood. If she isn't a replacement how did she become alligned with The Adversary?

Also is she a representative of the White Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia or some other fairy tale, if so which fairy tale?

As with many of the Fables, she's featured in many different fairy tales, including Narnia. Any time there's a "Snow queen" time character, it's her.

And there's no reason to believe she's a wooden replacement. She's probably aligned with the adversary because
    Jack was a dumb fuck and turned her evil by being a tremendous douche.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't wait until they find the Victorian England Fable-Land, with Peter Pan and Holmes as the primary protectors.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The last battle is all kinds of awesome.

And umm.... was it ever explained why there is no ancient greek or roman fables? Or the myriad other legends from people like the celts?
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I can't wait until they find the Victorian England Fable-Land, with Peter Pan and Holmes as the primary protectors.
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The last battle is all kinds of awesome.

And umm.... was it ever explained why there is no ancient greek or roman fables? Or the myriad other legends from people like the celts?
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!

Most of the European fables, including the ancient greek and roman fables have either been conquered or been "forgotten" by Revise. And if you don't know who Revise is, you should read Jack of Fables.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those characters are way too major to be forgotten by Revise in less than a century or 3 though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i could understand if like the mythical heroes of the pheonicians were forgotten, but how the hell would someone like hercules or thor be forgotten?

I'm also waiting for Siegfried to pop up.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, we've seen the Arabian Fables, so other fables are presumably around just not yet seen?

Though, thus far there have been no gods from any pantheon, making me think that fables are distinct from myths in this setting?

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That... that's beautiful

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I absolutely love the cover art on all Fables issues, TPB's, and one-shots. Glorious.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

If I'm not mistaken all of the Peter Pan universe is still copy write protected so you won't see any of them at anytime.
    I think Pan was originally planned to be the Adversary.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pan... too pure for these stories, hard to jade a character who acknowledges his own fault as his main defining charactaristic.

Plus there is a little bit of pan in every male character (besides bigby) it seems.

graizur on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    Peter Pan?

The dude who basically kidnaps kids while their parents are sleeping?
    The guy who was going to be the Adversary until they realized he wasn't public domain?

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    graizur have you ever seen a non-disney version of Peter Pan.

I'm thinking no.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    graizur have you ever seen a non-disney version of Peter Pan.

I'm thinking no.

Elitist much?

graizur on