As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stand-up Comedy

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah, the untestable "It's a hypothetical double standard!" argument.

Can you name any examples to bolster this claim, other than citing the mythical PC boogeyman? Married With Children got a lot of flack for it's unsympathetic female characters, but that show stayed on the air for over a decade. And you know why? Becuase it was funny. I swear, comedians look at political correctness like George Bush looks at terrorists. Yeah, it's annoying sometime, but the response is vastly disproportional to the actual threat. Someone cited "Hope and Faith" as an example. Do you think that that show torn apart by the PC police?

Wasn't Fran Drescher supposed to be the "wacky" character in The Nanny? There wasn't a husband, but her male boss played the straight man role. I think Ally McBeal was supposed to be a wacky lead too.

Eva Gabor's character in Green Acres, the husband is also a loon
    Jeannie in I Dream of Jeannie, husband plays the straight man
    Dharma in Dharma & Greg, husband plays the straight man
    Gracie in The George Burns & Gracie Allen Show, husband plays the straight man

Some of those are old, some are fairly recent - certainly within the political correctness era. All of them except Burns & Allen post-date Lucy.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Wasn't Fran Drescher supposed to be the "wacky" character in The Nanny? There wasn't a husband, but her male boss played the straight man role. I think Ally McBeal was supposed to be a wacky lead too.

Some of those are old, some are fairly recent - certainly within the political correctness era. All of them except Burns & Allen post-date Lucy.

You'll notice how basically all the examples you have involve whenever a woman is the title character. I could add "Caroline in the City" and "Suddenly Susan" to the list as well. In fact, the examples that Werrick mentioned also involved title characters, with the exception of Home Improvement, although Tim Allen is still undoubtedbly the figurehead on that show (Moreover, the "sensible" characters are more about Wilson/Al than the wife, from what I remember.).

Title characters tend to be wacky in general. It makes sense, because the wacky/flawed characters are more interesting, and the sensible/down to Earth characters are boring. If you were the lead star and had the choice between playing someone interesting and someone boring, who would you choose? One of the few exceptions of this was "A Minute With Stan Hooper," where Norm played the straight man in an otherwise strange town (To the shock of many, who had a hard time imagining Norm as the straight man.).

BTW, Norm does a great bit about the Arabs in his standup routine, where he says:

You go, “All right, we got it eradicated, only this one bottle left. Let’s flush it down the toilet, and then there'll be one less fucking way for us to die… Hey, or I can keep it! Put it on the end table and impress girls with it. Scare people, hey look at that!” And then one day it's like, "Where the fuck's that bottle of smallpox? I misplaced it, goddamn I know I had it. And then I had that party for all them Arabs… and now I can't find it!" [laughs]

I went to a fucking airport and they wanted to search me. I said, "I'm not a fucking Arab! What the fuck are you talking about?"

So I showed the guy my- my- my pa- my passport. A non-Arab passport. I go, “That’s me. I’m not the Arab. I'm the guy the Arab could kill.” He wanted to search me.

All my friends and I were hugely anti-war, but we still found it hilarious. More because of Norm's delivery and timing than anything else, where he played an everyman who was just saying all these things to be frank, and didn't even think for a moment that it might be offensive. If Norm stopped at some point and whined about how it was politically incorrect to say these things and started insulting anyone who didn't think that we should be at way, it pretty much would have completely killed the joke. The thing is, Norm knew that you don't have to make those types of disclaimers, you simply allow the joke to speak for itself.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Can you name any examples to bolster this claim, other than citing the mythical PC boogeyman? Married With Children got a lot of flack for it's unsympathetic female characters, but that show stayed on the air for over a decade. And you know why? Becuase it was funny. I swear, comedians look at political correctness like George Bush looks at terrorists. Yeah, it's annoying sometime, but the response is vastly disproportional to the actual threat. Someone cited "Hope and Faith" as an example. Do you think that that show torn apart by the PC police?

There's a difference between the kind of straight-man/doofus roles played by those people and the sheer, unadulterated idiotic incompetence characterized by a great many male characters on television these days.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Completely ignoring the fact that the male characters still exemplorized the qualities I attributed to them that are so unflattering. It's not like Peg was the bimbo who played the stereotypical woman who cared nothing for anything other than shopping, bon-bons and Oprah while Al was the perfect husband/father who bailed her out all the time, they were both dickheads. It's not the same thing and your insistance on drawing comparisons that don't apply simply demonstrates your lack of ability to get the point.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Werrick, you haven't really made any points. You keep insisting that women have never been treated as poorly as men have in sitcom, without actually explaining how men are treated so bad. If you want to make an accusation of a double stand, you might want to actually bring up what those standardss actually are.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Werrick, you haven't really made any points. You keep insisting that women have never been treated as poorly as men have in sitcom,

No, I haven't. You've either missed the point or are making shit up. I was actually very clear about the fact that Lucy was treated badly in I Love Lucy. At that time in history it was acceptable.
    If you want to make an accusation of a double stand, you might want to actually bring up what those standardss actually are.

Yes I have... and ignoring them doesn't make them go away. Drawing again on the I Love Lucy example, there would never be, nor has there ever been a show on TV in the last 15 years or so that depicts men and women the way they're depicted on shows like Everybody Loves Raymond or Home Improvement with the roles reversed.

Folks have tried to draw examples and I've clearly shown them to be dissimilar to the examples I've provided in matter of degree. The only show I can't say anything about at this poitn is Hope and Faith because I've never actually seen it.

Despite your assertions I am making a poitn, you're just basically sayign "nuh-uh!".

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Werrick wrote: »
    No, I haven't. You've either missed the point or are making shit up. I was actually very clear about the fact that Lucy was treated badly in I Love Lucy. At that time in history it was acceptable.

The point was that Lucy was a doofus and constantly needed Ricky to fix her problems.
    Yes I have... and ignoring them doesn't make them go away. Drawing again on the I Love Lucy example, there would never be, nor has there ever been a show on TV in the last 15 years or so that depicts men and women the way they're depicted on shows like Everybody Loves Raymond or Home Improvement with the roles reversed.

So what, you're saying that your won't be satisfied until we get a show about a goofy female sportswriter whose husband takes care of the kids? Or a goofy female tool time house whose husband takes care of the kids? If your point is that we don't have something exactly analogous, then you're in for a long wait. It's like the 30 Rock skit, "Black Fraiser." Yeah, you could try making a show exactly like Fraiser with the racial roles reversed, but what would be the point? You already have a show like Fraiser. It's called Fraiser. The fact is, you're never going to get a TV shows where the gender roles entirely reversed, because sitcoms tend to carry a bit of social commentary, and the gender roles have yet to reverse in society.

From a writers perspective, it makes sense that the character who takes care of the kids is going to be the more sensible one, because that's going to be a huge amount of responsibility in general, and with the exception of shows like Married With Children and Malcolm in the Middle, most shows aren't going to have a mom who does a horrible, horrible job at it. If the mom can take care of the kids, then she can take care of the latest screw up. if dad can take care of the kids, then dad can take care of the latest screwup. Oh no, women are still strapped to the cultural stereotype that they should be barefoot and pregnant. You know this is really unfair to? Men.

And who would you cast on this show with the goofy female title character? Lisa Lampenelli? Sarah Silverman? Kathy Griffin? Margaret Cho? Back on topic, most modern non-ensemble sitcoms are actually vehicles for professional comedians, who are known for being off beat and goofy (And not sensible and dependable.). Most professional comedians are, let's see... men. Look at this thread, and the vast majority of comedians listed are men. You know who this is really unfair to? Men.
    Despite your assertions I am making a poitn, you're just basically sayign "nuh-uh!".

Dude, I've gone over numerous paragraphs on basic comedic and literary theory on why the problem isn't a matter of "political correctness." My major focused around the study of media theory, specifically how different types of media affected the content of the story being told. If you want to complain, then why don't you give us an outline on the type of show you want to see? Then we could see whether or not this bar you hope to reach is actually attainable.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chris Rock spends a lot of time ripping on black people, too.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Werrick wrote: »

There's a difference between the kind of straight-man/doofus roles played by those people and the sheer, unadulterated idiotic incompetence characterized by a great many male characters on television these days.

no, there isn't.

this was a good debate until the point, where you lost but failed to realize it.

Variable on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    see

white people HOPE

I hope noone's in our chairs

black people, we WISH

I wish a motherfucker would be in our chairs

LRG on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Chris Rock spends a lot of time ripping on black people, too.

He kind of broke a few barriers in that act. It was steller, the drop-the-mic one, but he just couldn't follow it. Regardless, his commentary was absolutely stunning, but the comedy didn't suffer one bit. Truly a great act.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure if anyone's brought this up (I didn't see it) but I think a large part of humor is playing off the expectations that we've established due to touchy subjects in humor. Good examples are Daniel Tosh's bit on cannibalism where he's talked about what black people taste like and such, and then says "White people? You just don't eat white people. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules", and then spends a little while pretending to be the embarassed audience, or David Cross's bit at the end of one of his CDs where he says "You know what I hate?....(N-WORD)S."

I do agree that some bounds should be respected, but the greatest comedians, in my opinion, are either so crazy (Mitch Hedberg, Daniel Tosh, Brian Regan) or so witty and topical (Robin Williams, David Cross) that it shouldn't even be a problem, because they don't have to resort to that kinda shit. Honestly, at this point, when I hear a "black dudes" joke, I shut off no matter who is telling it to me because that shit is just so played out that I've either heard it or I've heard its close relative before. The only joke poking fun at any minority that I've ever laughed at in my life is David Cross's (again) bit about the gay dude ordering at the sandwich store or whatever, and that's more amusing parody. Black people, southerners, gay folkens, asians, indians, whatever, I've heard it all before. I've heard you poke fun at the stereotypes, at the stereotypes of stereotypes, at the accents, customs, beliefs, preferences, and it's so played out that if any comedian is resorting to it, black, white, whatever, he's grasping at straws and going for the shock factor rather than actually coming up with something humorous.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You need to edit your post. We're not allowed to use that word. Yes, that one. Bit surprised that the filter isn't on for it, though.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Huh. Wacky.

I'd be dryly amused if someone got mad at me for using that word in a quote =P. Duly noted, nonetheless.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This guy broke so many "rules" on this one bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ngroXOp-V4

Sliver on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    that might be the least funny thing i've seen all week, no offense.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, Daniel Tosh tends to suck something hard.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    that's my first exposure to him, and I'm glad I didn't search him out before when my cousin told me too.

Variable on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Do you guys hate Kevin Smith too? because he's in my top three behind Bill Cosby (My favorite) and Bill Hicks (Second favorite). Tosh I couldn't care less about but those three I will defend to the death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJXvmZkEhU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PUIWI3p70

In Evening Harder Kevin Smith talks about all his favorite comedians and at the end of his list is Bill Cosby and specifically mentions "To Russel My Brother, Whom I Slept With" and describes it as brilliant. (Which I thought was kind of cool.)

Sliver on
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Been watching the Eddie Izzard collection over the last time (£15 from HMV for anyone in the UK) and the audio commentary more than justifies the purchase (had some of it on CD or VHS) though I think the quality of his work dipped sharply for Sexie.

Anyway, best british comic for my money now is Ross Noble:

On glueing meat to one's face.
    On "24" and ice cream vendors
    Video intro to Sonic Waffle routine- "Radioactive Kung-fu Fridge Boy and Monkey Slayer"

Azrael on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azrael wrote: »
    Been watching the Eddie Izzard collection over the last time (£15 from HMV for anyone in the UK) and the audio commentary more than justifies the purchase (had some of it on CD or VHS) though I think the quality of his work dipped sharply for Sexie.

Anyway, best british comic for my money now is Ross Noble:

On glueing meat to one's face.
    On "24" and ice cream vendors
    Video intro to Sonic Waffle routine- "Radioactive Kung-fu Fridge Boy and Monkey Slayer"

That guy isn't funny at all, he's just manic.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Man, My Super Ex-Girlfriend was on HBO today...flip to it, who do I see but Eddie Izzard himself. I had a mindfuck moment.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Louis CK fans? How about Doug Stanhope? (didn't read thread)

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Man, My Super Ex-Girlfriend was on HBO today...flip to it, who do I see but Eddie Izzard himself. I had a mindfuck moment.

That's pretty fucking hardcore. I didn't know The Critic was capable of some shit like that, but god damn if I'm not behind him 100% on it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just want to point out that Patton Oswalt has a new CD out.

It's quite good, and comes with a DVD of one of his performances. If you order it from his website it comes with a button and a sticker too.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

It's quite good, and comes with a DVD of one of his performances. If you order it from his website it comes with a button and a sticker too.

I didn't know about the button, DVD, and sticker. I already bought it on iTunes, though D:

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I didn't know about the button, DVD, and sticker. I already bought it on iTunes, though D:

Me neither, I just figured that was the best way to support him.

The sticker is a strip that says "Failure Pile in a Sadness Bowl" and a smaller sticker of his head. The pin is "Erect in defiance of God's Will"

Here's a bit from the CD. (as performed on Conan O'brian. Watch Conan's terrible lead-ins to let Patton tell his jokes)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eoBQzAODeao

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glorious.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here's a bit from the CD. (as performed on Conan O'brian. Watch Conan's terrible lead-ins to let Patton tell his jokes)
    Dear god. Okay, is Conan a giant, Patton a midget, or is the right side of the place raised for no good reason?

Glal on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, Conan is freakishly tall and Patton on the short side. Do not adjust your television.

Gim on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He must be sitting with his knees around his chin behind that desk.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't have a link to it, but oswalt was on leno talking about the rat movie and harry potter dude was on. very funny brief bit of oswalt talkinga bout potter.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Dear god. Okay, is Conan a giant, Patton a midget, or is the right side of the place raised for no good reason?

That's nothing. I recall some Andy Kaufman special where his desk was at least 10 feet up.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That's pretty fucking hardcore. I didn't know The Critic was capable of some shit like that, but god damn if I'm not behind him 100% on it.

I just noticed that I totally hit quote on the wrong post. Go me.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Me neither, I just figured that was the best way to support him.

The sticker is a strip that says "Failure Pile in a Sadness Bowl" and a smaller sticker of his head. The pin is "Erect in defiance of God's Will"

I remember that bit

Literally the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life

I laughed so hard that I drooled on myself

The only thing that can compete would be the hair-helmet in Flight of the Conchords.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    suttbecks on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zach is indeed awesome.

Those who like Maria Bamford, she's on Jimmy Pardo's podcast this week.

Speaking of Jimmy is quite funny, in a more subtle way. He hosts a live version of the Match Game down in Hollywood once a month, which is hilarious.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As much as I despise Last Comic Standing I always seem to watch it. Adam Vincent impressed me so far this season. So of course, he didn't make it. Fuck you popular vote.

Safety House!

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jim Gaffigan - never has the topic of hot pockets been so mesmerizing.

Muse Among Men on