As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SANDBOX ON] Second Life

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Radd wrote: »
    If you're good at scripting, you're even more in demand. People love guns, vehicles, attachments that light up or swirl around or shoot out flames. People need doors that open when clicked, windmills that turn to face the direction of the wind, flowers that face the direction of the sun, lights that turn on automatically at night, barrels that blow up when shot, trap doors that swing open when someone walks over them, etcetera. Most of the basics are covered with freebie scripts, but everyone has their own unique ideas that require very specific scripting.

I used to do some scripting for SL, but now my graphics card driver isn't supported and that's just a big hassle :x

In any case, I couldn't do any of the other 3 so I'm not sure how that would've worked out for me. :P

Still, I enjoy lurking in the thread. You've got some awesome stuff, Radd.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Digito wrote: »
    Oh damnit.

I told myself I wouldn't try anything SL related... repeatedly. Tried it once before and didn't like it at all, was totally lost too.

Now... now I'm not quite so sure, the stuff I've seen in the last few pages of this thread has me thinking that SL might have some pretty awesome stuff afterall, and it IS free right? How does a newbie ever hope to get going/get exploring without any cash?

Radd is uh, talking about more of the creation side of things. I'd like to consider myself more of a consumer within SL, and honestly, other games and buying the game $50 and monthly subscriptions, $15, SL is actually very cheap and has plenty enough in it to do. If you want, contact me in game. Just do a search, pop into the People tab and search "Kyder Ling". It's fairly easy to pick up and how to use. I'd say within a good few days, you can get the entire interface down. And from there, it's just meeting people and doing stuff.

And trust me, there are plenty of places and things to do without any money. You won't always look the best, but hey, there are lots of freebies out there, freebie clothes, freebie textures, and plenty of other great stuff. If you do want to buy lindens though, I mean, if you put in like $5USD a month, I think you should be set. I myself only use about 500-1000L a month.

As for me, I am not too deep on the whole building thing, but I do find their 3d modeling interface rather intuitive, though it does use Prims instead of polys. I have made my own furniture for this club I am co designing so if I can do it, so can you. If I were you, I would just get into SL, try it out and look around a bit. Then go onto youtube and check out some video tutorials or whatever you may want.

Btw, ~$4.07 USD roughly equals $1,000 Lindens.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm kind of annoyed. I paid my ten bucks back when they used to give you 1k linden a week just for logging in and wandering around for a while every day. I know my password but can't login anymore, probably because I've been off it for over a year. I don't feel like calling them and reseting my password brings me back to the main page instead of the password reset page. I don't want to make a new account either, my last name isn't available as an option anymore.

stigweard on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They change the surnames once a certain number of people've grabbed them. I'd persist in trying to get your original account back up, legacy accounts still get a (tiny) stipend weekly. Nothing compared to when you had to pay $10US for the game though.

Glal on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It turns out there is a problem with their password reset utility so they reset it over the phone for me. A shame I haven't much $L left, but at least I can checkout the new engine and see what's new in game.

stigweard on
  • Options
    RaddRadd Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    More screenshots before I head to bed for the day!

babbage_winter_3.jpg
    and
    babbage_winter_4.jpg

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, that is some very nice manipulatin' of the Windlight display settings. Is that Babbage, perchance?

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does the sim need to have those enabled to work? Alternatively, what do I need to do with my default install to make it look like that? Mine still just looks like SL 2003.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Snow is part of Windlight too? Niiice.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    God damn WindLight is sooo pretty. In case you guys don't know, Second Life went out, and purchased some uber software for skys, waters, and other special effects. This shit is fantastic and you can edit it right there on the fly. It's incredibly sweet, and really makes things look very pretty. Especially the real bloom effects they have added now. ^^

A basic beach, running at about 30 fps on my 7600GT, 2gigDDR2ram, E6400 system.
    a8iwkedwindlight.jpg

(images spoilered for sanity)

Wait what? SL is different now? Eh. they screwed over my account so I don't feel like dealing with the hassle and idiocy of getting it back. Makes it that much easier to never want to play it again.

Although, I'd love to see if they finally got around to making things better there.

Oh yeah man, they made it really pretty.
    Windlight271_001.jpg

And just how was your account screwed? I have never heard of any shit like that, except that they didn't take a certain CC. And yes, the game has gotten better since the FL were playing it. It's not perfect, but definately more stable.

Well my three month subscription ran out and I tried re-upping it but their website wasn't having any of it. I had misplaced my password and I couldn't reset it properly. I spend too much time in that game doing things I just shouldn't be doing nor should I have done in the first place :/

I don't even want to mess with SL to spend more time on something I lost my taste in.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zetx wrote: »

It isn't. Weather isn't part of it, that's just a particle effect most likely.

And Glal, everything is client side. If I wanted to, I could go to that exact location and make it look like sunny and spring time with a few clicks.

Also, yes, that is Babbage. I knew from the Light house. Technically Port Babbage. They have added another sim.

t Vis. I'm sorry? Can't really speak too much on your personal experiences.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

And Glal, everything is client side. If I wanted to, I could go to that exact location and make it look like sunny and spring time with a few clicks.

Also, yes, that is Babbage. I knew from the Light house. Technically Port Babbage. They have added another sim.

Its fine. I have a very specific rule about not disclosing anything incriminating online/saved blog ect.. ect.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn this thread for making me long for something I can't possibly have. I have wanted to be apart of this ever since it first came out ages and ages ago, mainly due to my love for Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" since then I longed for a place (i.e. SL) to create things from Neal Stephenson's other AWESOME book "The Diamond Age/Young Lady's Illustrated Primer". Some how that book managed to blend Cyberpunk and Steampunk with the awesome Victorian enclaves. Self cleaning and repairing nanotech top-hats? Yes please! Is there any sites out there that have loads of pics of the best things out there in SL?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Ah. I only assumed it was Windlight because a particle effect seems to be pretty resource intensive if it continues like that.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Particle effects do tend to be pretty resource intensive, which is why I'm surprised that my framerate seemed pretty much unaffected by the snow I created. I'm not at all certain what it is, I would imagine this snowstorm being much worse than the particle poofers annoying people use to kill everyone's framerates whenever they teleport in to an area. Afterall, I've got like a dozen particle generators spread around the island, and I even turned up the number of particles SL renders for me....and it still ran fine.

I'd installed the snowstorm effects before going to bed late yesterday, I got up ran to work and only just got home, I need to ask people if it's affecting them at all. I'll remove them if too many people complain, but I'm not seeing any performance hit myself.

On a side note, when Linden Lab bought Windlight, the tech demos and videos they showed touted the Windlight software's weather effects, such as rain, snow, fog, and even dust storms. Weather only doesn't exist in SL because they never found a way to keep it from raining inside a prim house. I wonder if they'll try it again with the new software? It's still only in Beta, really, not even a part of the main SL client.

***Update!***

Actually just spent the morning playing with the snow generators, managed to cut them down from 21 emitters to 5, while making the snow effect look about as good. A little worse here, a little better there. All things considered, I'm incredibly pleased with how it turned out.

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think particles aren't the problem, but the fact that people often try to use 512x512 pixel textures as snowflakes.

If it isn't that, then never mind,

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    curse you for informing me that a new windlight client is out. Now I need to pop back in and check out if it still crashes like crazy for me or not. Guess I'm due for another SL visit anyway.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thought I'd share the vendor artwork for the new diving suit avatar!
    dive_suit_poster.jpg

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thought I'd share the vendor artwork for the new diving suit avatar!
    dive_suit_poster.jpg

Hahah that is awesome

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hahaha, Nice man.

The "his majesty's" part is probably the funniest to me.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So, uh, can we get surls or something to cool locations? :D (Radd? Cynic? Someone?)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, you just have to go out and find those locations, man. I know Gaslights Emporium is cool for steam punk shopping and the Shelter is also cool for a newbie hang out.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only played this game once, and right after registration my friend gave me a location link. I loaded it up and found my character in a BDSM bar, and it was the most bizaare thing I've ever seen.

That said, the whole concept really interests me - I'm just not sure I have the patience to do all the editing stuff that many do.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I only played this game once, and right after registration my friend gave me a location link. I loaded it up and found my character in a BDSM bar, and it was the most bizaare thing I've ever seen.

That said, the whole concept really interests me - I'm just not sure I have the patience to do all the editing stuff that many do.

I wouldn't really call it a game. And who says you have to do modelling or editing or anything. It's quite easy to get bye with very little or no money and by get by, I mean still have fun and meet cool people, etc.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll try and post some SLURLS sometime. It's kind of a hassle since I need to log in, and then go through all my Landmarks and type in all the information for each into an SLURL generator before I can post them. I think I'll just create a page of SLURLS to pass out to people and post in forums.

For now I'll toss out a few names to search (your mileage may vary between the old and new search engines, so I recommend trying both).

New Babbage - Steampunk industrial city, and where I hang my virtual hat.

The Wastelands - Post apocalyptic themed residential sims. Kinda been going downhill as far as the quality of people's builds and consistency of the theme, but it's still a fun place to look around.

Mini Zebes - My Metroid themed build, I posted screenshots a few pages back in this thread. Bunch of freebies, including a space pirate avatar. You need to look for them though, there's no obvious vendors.

Greenies Home - Absolutely amazing sim. Really all I can say. The whole sim is like a giant house, by that I mean the mice are about twice as big as you. There's also hidden entrances to a flying saucer, and a bunch of fun little things hidden around (try moving your camera so you can read the visible pages of the diary).

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Heh, I stumbled on Mini Zebes a couple hours ago and picked up 3 or so freebies. Very nice. Not very sure how much of the Wastelands I went around, but I do also remember seeing a metroid floating around a giant red lava lamp.

I used to hang around Suffugium alot, it's a nice, smallish dystopia-themed sim.

[edit] A shame that Windlight floods the Mother Brain room and stuff :\

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Wastelands - Post apocalyptic themed residential sims. Kinda been going downhill as far as the quality of people's builds and consistency of the theme, but it's still a fun place to look around.

I am totally in agreement with you on that one, the Wastelands has more or less become a post apocalyptic mall, and it's become cluttered with post-apoc prefabs. There is some wheat amongst the chaff, though, namely Mini-zebes and some of the nifty archaeological digs scattered here and there. I'll have to find some screens I took of an unearthed 'living statue' Eric Boccara made. Sadly it wasn't there for very long. [Edit: Found them!]

Snapshot_007.jpg

Heh, I stumbled on Mini Zebes a couple hours ago and picked up 3 or so freebies. Very nice. Not very sure how much of the Wastelands I went around, but I do also remember seeing a metroid floating around a giant red lava lamp.

I used to hang around Suffugium alot, it's a nice, smallish dystopia-themed sim.

[edit] A shame that Windlight floods the Mother Brain room and stuff :\

Radd taught me how to manipulate the water settings in Windlight to get it to not look so murky underwater; really all you have to do is turn water fog down in the basic editor, or fog density exponent in the advanced one. Also changing the water color helps a bit too.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I miss Hwang...

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I miss Hwang...

Which former PA'er are you, good sir?

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Radd taught me how to manipulate the water settings in Windlight to get it to not look so murky underwater; really all you have to do is turn water fog down in the basic editor, or fog density exponent in the advanced one. Also changing the water color helps a bit too.

Excellent. Moved the slider all the way left now. Much clearer.

Oh right, I forgot my story on how I stumbled into Mini Zebes. I was jumping around in one of the neighboring areas where the guy turned on nofly (I had forgotten how to turn Fly on in nofly zones, but I remember now :P) when I jump out of his area, into Mini Zebes and fall through so I'm outside the underground Zebe areas. Took me a couple minutes to figure out how best to get into the thing proper (the cave exit/entrance is clever and confused me).

Also, Radd, I thought the staircase-esque thing from the first floor down to the lower levels was hard to navigate. It might've just been me, though.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I decided to try this thing out if only for shits and giggles but I keep getting disconnected with a rather bizarre error

Error:
    You have been logged out of SecondLife:
    The viewer has detected mangled network data indicative of a bad upstream network or an incomplete local installation of SecondLife.
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if this resolves the issue.
    If the problem continues, see the Tech Support FAQ at: www.secondlife.com/support
    Click continue to look at existing IM and chat. You will not be able to perform any other operations. Click Quit to exit SecondLife immediately.

I can's find any solution to this problem online. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nm, disabling voice chat fixed it. Probably a blessing in disguise anyway.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KingMole wrote: »
    You know, when I say its the internet in 3D, I'm not kidding.

Anything you can find on the internet, you can find in Second Life. And what better way to go about it than with the Fancy Lads, all pip-pipping and cheerio-ing.

So... I never thought I'd install this thing, but this made me laugh out loud and I HAD to try it. So I installed it yesterday... I made it through that... tutorial islands stuff, and I've been plunked into the real world thingy, although I can't warp to different places because my account is brand new. Now... I have a few questions.

At first I thought I would fly around and see the sights, but the load times for textures is so goddamn long that I was turned off of that almost instantly. So I wanted to start building stuff right away. Starting with...

My horrible looking character. I've seen screens of actual good looking people, but my guy looks like he walked straight out of The Sims or something. I went around to some stores in the first area and got a bunch of free clothes and such, some of which are decent, but didn't find anything that tickled my fancy. I want to make my own clothes and skin? Any helpful links would be GREATLY appreciated. I've done a fair bit of modelling/skinning before, so I just need to know if there's any second life specific things that I need to know.

Say I wanted to start making some buildings or something to just tool around in. I tried to create some stuff, but it said I don't own the land. Do I need to go to a special place or something? What's the deal?

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    veritas1 wrote: »
    KingMole wrote: »
    You know, when I say its the internet in 3D, I'm not kidding.

Anything you can find on the internet, you can find in Second Life. And what better way to go about it than with the Fancy Lads, all pip-pipping and cheerio-ing.

So... I never thought I'd install this thing, but this made me laugh out loud and I HAD to try it. So I installed it yesterday... I made it through that... tutorial islands stuff, and I've been plunked into the real world thingy, although I can't warp to different places because my account is brand new. Now... I have a few questions.

At first I thought I would fly around and see the sights, but the load times for textures is so goddamn long that I was turned off of that almost instantly. So I wanted to start building stuff right away. Starting with...

My horrible looking character. I've seen screens of actual good looking people, but my guy looks like he walked straight out of The Sims or something. I went around to some stores in the first area and got a bunch of free clothes and such, some of which are decent, but didn't find anything that tickled my fancy. I want to make my own clothes and skin? Any helpful links would be GREATLY appreciated. I've done a fair bit of modelling/skinning before, so I just need to know if there's any second life specific things that I need to know.

Say I wanted to start making some buildings or something to just tool around in. I tried to create some stuff, but it said I don't own the land. Do I need to go to a special place or something? What's the deal?

Try and talk to Omega about clothing, he can get you started. And you have to go to a sandbox as they are called, or basically plots of land that people have made public to build stuff in. I would just keep playing with it, and keep looking around for neat stuff. The fanciest place for fancy goods that tickle my fancies are at Gaslights Emporium, which can be found with a simple search no problem.

As far as building, I would just look up several tutorials on Youtube. You'll get the hang of things.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    As for tutorials to building, you can't go wrong with the Ivory Tower of Primitives (I think that was the name, at least). Search for "ivory tower" and you should find it. It starts with the very basics and goes on from there.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cool thanks, so if I do a search for sandbox, I can just find some free-to-play plots? So, if I wanted to have some land somewhere for myself, that others can't mess with, so I have to pay real cash for it? I notice everything costs Ls or whatever the ingame currency is. How the hell do I get that stuff?

Also, who is this Omega guy?

I'll check out the places already mentioned sometime this weekend.

Sorry to keep bombarding you guys with questions... but they really just kind of throw you to the wolves in this thing. Is there a ... I dunno, 'clan' that I should join to meet up with you guys in-game? Or should I just post my in-game name (which I can't even remember right now)?

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Omega71 is a forumer here. That's also his in-game name, but I forgot his last name. Just mention your name and we will befriend you. And while there are groups of shared interest, IE (tastes in music, shops, etc.) they don't really work much anything like a clan or guild. But yeah, just post your name, and search your friends list to find someone when you have accepted our friend requests.

Also, to get lindens, you can transfer real world monies to lindens or L$ bye going to their website, putting in a CC#, waiting about 30min, and then going into the game, clicking the L$ icon in the top right corner, and just buying some directly right there from within the game. For about $1,000L, it costs roughly $4.07USD, but I think 1,000 lindens is an excellent place to begin and you can pretty much ride that money out for a long time while you get your avatar dressed up all nice and pretty/fancy.

Buying or renting land is a whole 'nother deal and you really do not need to do it, especially because buying, (not renting) makes you sign up for premium account membership which is $10 a month and also that you will have to pay a pretty steep price for some pieces of land. I would say stick around in game for a month or so, if you really like it and get the hang of it and decide you actually want some real land for a store or house or something, go ahead and try and rent.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thank you very much. Basically what I needed to know. I guess I will play with it for a while before I drop any real money into it. I have a bad habit of getting really excited about making content for online games, but then quickly dropping it for something else. I guess I just love an audience to show off my work? I dunno. Is there no way to get $L in-game? Or is it just through paying real cash.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    You can sell copies stuff you've made for Lindens, but you typically need some place to drop a vendor machine. Should be some places that can let you sell there for a cut of the profits.

Echo on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there any way to get buy, and actually make some ammount of money, without ever spending any real world money on the game (other than begging)?

I'd be willing to give SL an honest shot, if it weren't for the fact that I refuse to put money into it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Is there any way to get buy, and actually make some ammount of money, without ever spending any real world money on the game (other than begging)?

I'd be willing to give SL an honest shot, if it weren't for the fact that I refuse to put money into it.

You're forgetting the #1 rule of business.

It takes money to make money.

Lucky Cynic on
This discussion has been closed.