As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[split] Media Bias

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    It's back on topic now! The point is, the number of journalists who are liberal is completely irrelevant. It's the content that's reported that's important. And there really is nothing to support a liberal bias in that regard.

I can see how this topic could easily break down into a tit for tat. I hope it doesn't. I've reached a point where I think I can see the liberal bias in the reporting itself. I also see conservative bias where it exists, but that's limited mainly to talk radio, which is more opinion based. Some conservative commentators are pretty blatant in their blending of reporting and commenting, I'm not saying they are perfect.

This is an example of what you can see pretty much consistently:

http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColumns/newscolumn/2007/col20070110.asp

Yes, because the head of the fucking Parents Television Council is really credible.

Summarily discounting something because it's by someone you disagree with reduces your credibility. If it was all opinion, maybe, but there are ample quotes and examples to show the differences.

And I'm sure they aren't witholding any exculpatory evidence and examples in their unbiased report on biased reporting.

moniker on
  • Options
    SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, I watched. I watched a lot. If you want to trade barbs, I can throw out the coverage of Bush's supposed cocaine abuse. How about the fabrication of letters to disprove Bush's national guard record? How Katrina became an anti-Bush cause celebre in the media. And your holding up a paid advertisement to prove media bias? That's a stretch.

Feral put up stats to dispute the leanings of journalists. I put up stats that show the story from a different angle (self-selection vs voting and donating records). You just threw out anecdotes of things you didn't like.
    I think he was referring to how the ad only aired briefly in a few markets, but was then echoed on national news for weeks afterwards. With reporters "investigating" the background and funding of the ad showing it to be a partisan sham, and running ridiculous "balance" pieces where they get people to talk about how they agree with the ad's sentiment. It was a muddy mess that roughly translated to: some people hate Kerry, and they might have a reason!

I don't see the major news networks as having a meaningful bias either way politically. The stories that get covered are typically those that produce a quick, gut reaction or can be distilled to a reasonably short headline or soundbite. Though the political leanings of those covering the news can come out (as you have shown) in some cases, those are that have real impact are few and far between. Typically the most you might get is the choice of an adjective that might have secondary meaning to a segment of viewers. Perhaps you are hyper-sensitive to phrasing that implies your world view may not be universally accepted?
    Blech. The media is biased towards ratings, not the left or the right.
    What he said.

Spackler on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    A majority of newspapers supported John Kerry for president.
    Too bad you idiots didn't listen to them, otherwise the last three years might not have been such an unmitigated disaster. You should take this perceived "liberal bias" as simply an indication that you are, objectively, fucking wrong on just about every issue from Iraq to global warming.

Thank you. I now see the errors of my ways. I'll go be a happy liberal now and support massive social projects, drop my religious beliefs and exchange them for shaky science, oppose the killing of people who want to kill my family, support the killing of people who are not yet born, the taxation of people who are successful in life (and then say I am "only talking about the Paris Hilton's who don't earn their money"), and, in general, hold my beliefs to be so superior to others that I can accuse them of a phobia when they disagree with them (see: homophobia, xenophobia, etc).

Of course, that's my objective opinion. Asshat.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    It's back on topic now! The point is, the number of journalists who are liberal is completely irrelevant. It's the content that's reported that's important. And there really is nothing to support a liberal bias in that regard.

I can see how this topic could easily break down into a tit for tat. I hope it doesn't. I've reached a point where I think I can see the liberal bias in the reporting itself. I also see conservative bias where it exists, but that's limited mainly to talk radio, which is more opinion based. Some conservative commentators are pretty blatant in their blending of reporting and commenting, I'm not saying they are perfect.

Yes, because the head of the fucking Parents Television Council is really credible.

Summarily discounting something because it's by someone you disagree with reduces your credibility. If it was all opinion, maybe, but there are ample quotes and examples to show the differences.

And I'm sure they aren't witholding any exculpatory evidence and examples in their unbiased report on biased reporting.

Very possible. Which is why, for the most part, it doesn't bother me so much that there is bias. There's a liberal bias in one area of reporting, and there's a conservative bias in another areas (like talk radio). What annoys me is when people say "there is no bias, except when there's bias against my beliefs, like talk radio or Fox News".

Although I see a lot of people say "the bias is for what sells and against everything else". I think I can get on board with that.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Like, say, the fact that Pelosi becoming Speaker was a fucking historical milestone.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    drop my religious beliefs and exchange them for shaky science,

Umm, what? Which religious beliefs do you hold that require dropping in the face of scientific explanation, and why is that science "shaky"?

...I mean, How does media bias cause this?

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »

Umm, what? Which religious beliefs do you hold that require dropping in the face of scientific explanation, and why is that science "shaky"?

He was being hyperbollic on 'what liberals believe' in order to dismiss Azio out of hand. You know, the whole 'they eat babies while sodomizing each other' thing.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I didn't mean it as a statement on media bias. Sorry if it was implied.

I was referring to the religion of environmentalism as it applies to global warming. It was severely lost when I went off though.

One of the topics often looked at within conservative circles is the move toward secularism and the accompanying support of unproven sciences (mainly extreme environmentalism) that accompany it. Reports come out left and right saying global warming is real! global warming is not real! it's man-made! it's cyclical! Often, those who say "i'm not seeing enough proof here" are dismissed as trying to speak against "settled science", as Gore put it.

That sounds like a new topic though, and I don't want to dive into that. I want to get back to the coffee thread.

EDIT: moniker summed it up well.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Even if there was a provable slight-left bias in non-Murdoch newsmedia, all but like three people here are so far removed from the center that they'd still see it as right-leaning.

I just think that the American conception of liberal and conservative is completely off base. I'm pretty moderate, generally (I agree with Yar on immigration, for example, yet completely disagree on most other issues) yet I find that I'm often lumped in as "liberal" for no apparent reason. Compared to the liberals in other places, like, say, France, I'm moderate/conservative.

itt: sanstodo discovers that "liberal" and "conservative" are subjective labels dependent upon local cultural norms.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

<citation requests and data to refute my OP>

<concept of sensationalism as how it drives headlines>

I think I can get behind the concept of sensationalism as driving a majority of the headlines. I think you've made a reasonable point in that regard.

Let me also revise my prior assertion on the % of journalists who identify as liberal. That's what I get for posting at work in between meetings -- my verbiage gets unclear. Self-selection has some problems, which I would attribute to the fact that journalists believe themselves to be moderate and fair - it's a good thing to be in that profession. The 90% number I asserted came not from identification but from campaign contributions and voting patterns. Mea culpa, I should be clearer. Journalists voted for Clinton at a 9:1 ratio, but he never received even a 1:1 in the general population. I would also cite:

http://www.mediaresearch.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp - voting patterns for journalists
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113455/ - donation information

Overall summary: http://www.mediaresearch.org/SpecialReports/2004/report063004_p1.asp

Showing a 125:16 ratio of contributions: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485/

And I'm sure there's a massive list somewhere, but day to day there's a huge issue with major news wires and the editorializing added to the news. Here's an example.

Doctored photos also happen.
    Did you watch the 2000 election? Howsabout the 2004 election? Every news story was "Democrat stiff, boring, elitist; George W. Bush engaged, charismatic, everyman." The "Al Gore invented the internet" story was basically a total fabrication of the Republican party, and every news organization ran with it. And what about all the free advertising given to "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth?" Oh, I guess running an ad slated to appear briefly in 11 markets 24/7 across the country doesn't count as "bias." That's just "news." Not to mention that very few networks actually commented about how it was basically a total fabrication. I mean, seriously, does anyone believe that George Bush's daddy didn't get him out of serving in the war? And yet, somehow, John Kerry's service record became the issue to the "liberal" media, a guy who volunteered for some of the most dangerous duty there was.
    Yes, I watched. I watched a lot. If you want to trade barbs, I can throw out the coverage of Bush's supposed cocaine abuse. How about the fabrication of letters to disprove Bush's national guard record? How Katrina became an anti-Bush cause celebre in the media. And your holding up a paid advertisement to prove media bias? That's a stretch.
    They paid to put the advertisement up in a few, limited markets. It was then aired, repeatedly, everywhere in the country, over and over again, because of the media coverage. Bush's "supposed cocaine abuse" has pretty solid standing; when a big anti-drug guy won't deny using cocaine, that's a good sign he used cocaine. And yeah, I followed the whole fabricated letter thing, from which Bush came out looking like fucking gold; I'm not seeing the liberal bias, there.

And gee, Bush's administration totally fucks up their handling of Katrina. It's amazing how "government doesn't work and is incompetent" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy during Republican administrations, isn't it? And it's really amazing that when you appoint a horse show director on the basis of nepotism to run your emergency management agency, he doesn't do a good job. I know I was shocked. And let us recall what a shitty job FEMA did during Clinton's presidency... oh, wait, no, they were amazing during Clinton's presidency, and this was before we dumped all sorts of money into Homeland Security to deal with something like this. Again, apparently the truth is liberally biased.

And this says nothing about the accusations that Gore claimed to have personally cleaned up Love Canal, or that he lied about being the basis for the book Love Story. Maybe you could cite some stories that were reported by the media about George W. Bush that weren't true, that made him look bad in the end...?
    Feral put up stats to dispute the leanings of journalists. I put up stats that show the story from a different angle (self-selection vs voting and donating records). You just threw out anecdotes of things you didn't like.
    Good enough?

There have been many studies done about what is actually reported in the news. There's no liberal bias. It's a myth, perpetuated by Bernard Goldberg, Talk Radio, and Fox News.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Even if there was a provable slight-left bias in non-Murdoch newsmedia, all but like three people here are so far removed from the center that they'd still see it as right-leaning.

I just think that the American conception of liberal and conservative is completely off base. I'm pretty moderate, generally (I agree with Yar on immigration, for example, yet completely disagree on most other issues) yet I find that I'm often lumped in as "liberal" for no apparent reason. Compared to the liberals in other places, like, say, France, I'm moderate/conservative.

itt: sanstodo discovers that "liberal" and "conservative" are subjective labels dependent upon local cultural norms.

:lol:

Just saying that Salvation is really off-base here and that his definition of center is really far off to the right.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, it really doesn't.

If it's not from a credible source, it's not real evidence. Saying "well, because that guy said it it's not true" is very different from saying "that is not a credible source."

If you were using quotes from Adolf Hitler to support your case, would we be reducing our own credibility by saying "hey, that's not real support, there?"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Just saying that Salvation is really off-base here and that his definition of center is really far off to the right.
    Salvation thinks Rush Limbaugh is a moderate.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's no liberal bias. It's a myth, perpetuated by Bernard Goldberg, Talk Radio, and Fox News.

And as for why they would, that can be summed up in a single phrase: working the ref.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The trouble is people think "balanced" is some forced equality in airtime rather than presenting the facts. For example everytime a news channel discusses evolution they feel obligated to bring in at least one creationist nutjob in order ot remian "balanced" when it reality it's not balanced at all. it's pandering to not piss people off. In reality a balanced discussion of evoltuion does not include discussion completely outside the realm of science.

And with Katrina when the govt fucks up horribly they don't deserve a "balanced" treatment. They televised all of the adminstrations press conferences as they should have. There simply was no postive side ofthe federal government's response ot report on. They did spread out the blame rpetty evenly by showing the failures of the state and local govt too. Should they have made shit up to make Bush look better because the truth looked mean? Last time I checked journalism isn't about being nice.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Very possible. Which is why, for the most part, it doesn't bother me so much that there is bias. There's a liberal bias in one area of reporting, and there's a conservative bias in another areas (like talk radio). What annoys me is when people say "there is no bias, except when there's bias against my beliefs, like talk radio or Fox News".

Although I see a lot of people say "the bias is for what sells and against everything else". I think I can get on board with that.
    Most news stations are biased towards whatever gets them ratings.

Fox News also has a ridiculously conservative bias.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's not that far off to the right, and it's starting to head back leftwards again. The center is never actually in the middle between the two extremes, it's where the heart of the nation lies. In the 50's and 60's that was fairly leftward then started to drift to the right under Ford and Carter. The Reagan Revolution epitomized it being on the right side of the spectrum and now its drifting again.

moniker on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The trouble is people think "balanced" is some forced equality in airtime rather than presenting the facts. For example everytime a news channel discusses evolution they feel obligated to bring in at least one creationist nutjob in order ot remian "balanced" when it reality it's not balanced at all. it's pandering to not piss people off. In reality a balanced discussion of evoltuion does not include discussion completely outside the realm of science.

And with Katrina when the govt fucks up horribly they don't deserve a "balanced" treatment. They televised all of the adminstrations press conferences as they should have. There simply was no postive side ofthe federal government's response ot report on. They did spread out the blame rpetty evenly by showing the failures of the state and local govt too. Should they have made shit up to make Bush look better because the truth looked mean? Last time I checked journalism isn't about being nice.

Fucking seriously. I think Journalists are finally doing their damn jobs again to some degree, which is not pander to the Administration and keep Bush happy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, it really doesn't.

If it's not from a credible source, it's not real evidence. Saying "well, because that guy said it it's not true" is very different from saying "that is not a credible source."

If you were using quotes from Adolf Hitler to support your case, would we be reducing our own credibility by saying "hey, that's not real support, there?"

I think you missed the point, but...

I can't even go into that. Three pages to Godwin the thread? Nice one.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

No, it really doesn't.

I don't think that counts as a Godwin; he wasn't really comparing anyone to Hitler but was merely using Hitler as an illustrative, hypothetical example.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, he got it on the nose. Or are you suggesting that you'd be completely content with an environmental report sponsored by the Sierra Club given as a sole source in an argument and not dismiss it out of hand as biased and useless?

moniker on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since this topic comes up pretty frequently, I'll respond like I always do:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/997meijg.asp

Enjoy.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, he got it on the nose. Or are you suggesting that you'd be completely content with an environmental report sponsored by the Sierra Club given as a sole source in an argument and not dismiss it out of hand as biased and useless?

No, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. The same way I don't dismiss Michael Moore out of hand or even The Nation. I may disagree with their assertions, but you can't win an argument by just stating your opposition to the writer, you have to argue the points.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. The same way I don't dismiss Michael Moore out of hand or even The Nation. I may disagree with their assertions, but you can't win an argument by just stating your opposition to the writer, you have to argue the points.

Even when the 'points' are nothing but half truths, distortions, and obfuscation?

moniker on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since this topic comes up pretty frequently, I'll respond like I always do:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/997meijg.asp

Enjoy.
    The news media tends not to cite conservative think tanks, therefore the news media must be liberal. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that many of those think tanks aren't intended to be sources of impartial, credible information. (Really, any methodology that determines that the Drudge Report is left-of-center is too fundamentally flawed to be anything but a fucking joke.)

gtrmp on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

If a given source has repeatedly trotted out the same points, been repeatedly refuted and shown to be unreliable, but persisted in being a voice in the debate through volume and tenacity alone, then it eventually stops being worth one's while to bother addressing that source point-by-point. Credibility can be lost, and discounting certain perennially unreliable or disingenuous sources is valid. This is especially true when the source in question is not an individual, like Michael Moore or George W. Bush, but rather a think tank like the Parent Television Council that has a stated conservative agenda.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Sometimes pointing out that the writer is a known lying idiot IS the point. Even if they ARE honest, there's a very good chance they've deliberately left out important points. Citing two articles for a position and ignoring the 9 against, for example.

Once someone gets to a certain level of dishonesty, they aren't worth paying attention to any more because you spend more time sifting out the truth from the crap than anything else.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    to me, unbiased reporting is an impossibility, personally, I don't really give a shit which way the journalists lean as long as they acknowledge it

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    to me, unbiased reporting is an impossibility, personally, I don't really give a shit which way the journalists lean as long as they acknowledge it

Eh. If I knew that every news source in the country was lying to me all the time, it wouldn't be much of a comfort to me if they admitted they were lying. It's important to hold journalists up to a (reasonable) standard of objectivity.

Hachface on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Depending on what TV I get stuck in front of when working out, I end up watching a fair amount of CNN or Fox News in the morning. CNN has a slight liberal bias on their political reporting, but mostly they're biased towards being incompetent and sensationalist. FOX has a slight bias to the conservative side, but they're most biased on being even more sensationalist, over-the-top patriotic, and tabloid-style "human interest" stories. They're also biased to hiring a spate of skinny blond women that all look the same. Talk radio is pretty conservative, except for NPR which is crazy liberal.

I'll agree with the poster who said that the BBC is way better. They're not perfect, but they're much more matter-of-fact in their reporting, which tends to dilute the bias over the talking heads-style news we get stuck with here in the States. Plus, it has a British accent so it just sounds smarter.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    absolute objectivity is impossible, but it's reasonable to expect factual accuracy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hachface wrote: »

Eh. If I knew that every news source in the country was lying to me all the time, it wouldn't be much of a comfort to me if they admitted they were lying. It's important to hold journalists up to a (reasonable) standard of objectivity.

"Objectivity" is impossible. I agree with dlinfiniti; better to know a reporter's angle than have to guess.

All journalism is "lying," in that it's all narratives crafted by individuals or small groups based on their interpretations of facts. The more that people know this, then (hopefully) the better prepared they will be to think critically about what they see and hear.

For the love of god(s/FSM), there are still Americans who think Saddam Hussein ordered 9/11.

Dagrabbit wrote: »
    Talk radio is pretty conservative, except for NPR which is crazy liberal.

I'll agree with the poster who said that the BBC is way better. They're not perfect, but they're much more matter-of-fact in their reporting, which tends to dilute the bias over the talking heads-style news we get stuck with here in the States. Plus, it has a British accent so it just sounds smarter.

That may have been me, although I have to strongly disagree with you: NPR is way moderate compared to BBC. Well, that's really the wrong way to put it; more like NPR isn't liberal per se, but they freely accept things like human-caused global warming and things like that (much like BBC!) because they don't fall prey to conservative BS.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Sometimes pointing out that the writer is a known lying idiot IS the point. Even if they ARE honest, there's a very good chance they've deliberately left out important points. Citing two articles for a position and ignoring the 9 against, for example.

Once someone gets to a certain level of dishonesty, they aren't worth paying attention to any more because you spend more time sifting out the truth from the crap than anything else.

I'll admit that I don't know much about being known as a "lying idiot". I cited that article as representative of the bias you can see all over the place. It is, by nature, going to come mostly (if not solely) from conservatives.

You can also try:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NGFkMGU5Zjk4ODk0ZmU5NjIxMGJlYzZjZmIzMjQ2NDY=

and

http://newsbusters.org/node/9062

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

"Objectivity" is impossible. I agree with dlinfiniti; better to know a reporter's angle than have to guess.

All journalism is "lying," in that it's all narratives crafted by individuals or small groups based on their interpretations of facts. The more that people know this, then (hopefully) the better prepared they will be to think critically about what they see and hear.

For the love of god(s/FSM), there are still Americans who think Saddam Hussein ordered 9/11.

What you're saying is true, of course, but I think there's an objective truth that exists independent of our ability to accurately perceive, and journalists should be trying to get as close to that as possible. Obviously they won't succeed, but some will come closer than others.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What you're saying is true, of course, but I think there's an objective truth that exists independent of our ability to accurately perceive, and journalists should be trying to get as close to that as possible. Obviously they won't succeed, but some will come closer than others.

Even if there is some sort of universally "true" perspective on any given event, there's absolutely no way for anyone to perceive it in a "true" way.

Each human is subject to their own biases and perspectives even in the perception of events, not just the translation of events to others.

I prefer to simply have different reporters with different backgrounds cover the same story, and let the public synthesize their interpretations from all the story's versions.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know what I think, deep down? People who work in the fields of journalism and education tend to be more socially liberal than the general public because they're better informed than the general public. The bias that persists in those fields is the natural result of being involved in them, because those fields favor knowledge over ignorance. Frequently that divide runs parallel to the political divide, but it's incidental.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    darthmix wrote: »
    You know what I think, deep down? People who work in the fields of journalism and education tend to be more socially liberal than the general public because they're better informed than the general public. The bias that persists in those fields is the natural result of being involved in them, because those fields favor knowledge over ignorance. Frequently that divide runs parallel to the political divide, but it's incidental.

Thank you. I've been wanting to say that all day, but couldn't think of a way to say it except "liberals are smarter."

I agree, I think that it's precisely the process of going out into diverse communities on a day-to-day basis that broadens journalists' perspectives, and they're more likely to be accepting of different ideas and lifestyles simply because they have to be in order to do their jobs.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That may have been me, although I have to strongly disagree with you: NPR is way moderate compared to BBC. Well, that's really the wrong way to put it; more like NPR isn't liberal per se, but they freely accept things like human-caused global warming and things like that (much like BBC!) because they don't fall prey to conservative BS.

I, in general, think NPR is a pretty bad news source, so that could well be coloring my assessment of their bias on the political spectrum. To me, they sound very liberal and less factual than the BBC, but I also don't hear a lot of NPR.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I, in general, think NPR is a pretty bad news source, so that could well be coloring my assessment of their bias on the political spectrum. To me, they sound very liberal and less factual than the BBC, but I also don't hear a lot of NPR.

I believe that NPR informed the public best about terrorism, 9/11, and WMDs during the 2004 election than any other news source. Fox News was the worst. If someone could dig up the link, would be nice :D

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Not so. See:

current.org story
    Pubcasting helps audience sort fact, fiction
    NPR, PBS audience holds most accurate views of Iraq war, says new study

Originally published in Current, Oct. 20, 2003
    By Mike Janssen

Pubcasters welcomed a study released Oct. 2 [2003] that showed people who turn to public broadcasting for news have the most accurate views of the Iraq war among media consumers.

The study, conducted by the polling firm Knowledge Networks and the University of Maryland’s Program on International Policy Attitudes, also highlighted differences between public broadcasting and its competitors. Fox News Channel and public broadcasting, for example, consistently landed at opposite ends of the spectrum of opinion. Fox viewers were almost four times more likely than public broadcasting’s consumers to hold misperceptions about the war (chart at right).

Or here: for a nice chart.

Zalbinion on
This discussion has been closed.