As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Standardized testing for entry into college.

JastJast Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Basically, I made this thread to discuss standardized testing for entry into college. Personally, I dislike the SATs and ACTs. I feel they put too much pressure on students and are held in too high regard, when studies have shown the doing good on the SATs doesn't neccesarily mean a person will do good in college or not doing good will mean the person will be a failure. The SATs were first started so that people could get into college based on their aptitude, not just their personal connections. A good thing. But in this day and age we shouldn't need it anymore. I wish I had more to say, I'm wondering what other people think.

Jast39.png
Jast on

• Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jast wrote: »
    Basically, I made this thread to discuss standardized testing for entry into college. Personally, I dislike the SATs and ACTs. I feel they put too much pressure on students and are held in too high regard, when studies have shown the doing good on the SATs doesn't neccesarily mean a person will do good in college or not doing good will mean the person will be a failure. The SATs were first started so that people could get into college based on their aptitude, not just their personal connections. A good thing. But in this day and age we shouldn't need it anymore. I wish I had more to say, I'm wondering what other people think.

Absolutely, there are tons of race and class issues involved in standardized testing. Until a widespread substitute is found, however, expect colleges to continue to use the tests as at least a partial means of sorting their applicants pool.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What do you propose instead? Grades don't tell much either because of the different systems that different schools use and also don't tell how well your going to do in college because nothing tells you how well your going to do in college until you actually go there and find out for yourself.

khain on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I would propose the goverment institute a uniform grading system for all schools instead of each district deciding how many points towards your gpa each class is worth.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would propose the goverment institute a uniform grading system for all schools instead of each district deciding how many points towards your gpa each class is worth.

Even then, teachers and administrators can change grades for their favorite students. And teachers also hold the power to give grades, different teachers will give different grades. Two essays by two students, both equally good, but one had a teacher who didn't like him so he gets a B, the other had a teacher who loves him and he gets A+. How are you going to prevent that?

notagame on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

In my experience, most of the students complaining about how the ACT or SAT tests aren't a good measure of performance are the same people who didn't do as well as they wanted.

There might be some problems with the ACT and SAT tests, but they're a good way of measuring performance because so many people take them. They can tell a lot more than a GPA alone.

That'd be way too much work to try and implement a standardized grading system. Even with a uniform grading system, certain classes and teachers are going to be harder than others.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    There might be some problems with the ACT and SAT tests, but they're a good way of measuring performance because so many people take them. They can tell a lot more than a GPA alone.

When SAT/ACT prep courses and guides can advertise average 100 points of test improvement, then it shows that the test isn't about future college performance but rather standardized test-taking performance, which isn't a major component of most college curricula.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Teachers messing with grades is some serious stuff. I'm not saying my plan is perfect, but to me it sounds better then our current system, which forces students to try to cram in information, take as many prep classes as they can, or buy test prep booklets. Too much pressure is put on the students to "pass" because every college except community colleges of course look at those scores. What's worse, the SATs penalize you for guessing for some strange reason. I was taught in high school and am being taught to try to answer all the questions no matter what in hopes of getting them right, but this random joe, and that's what the college board is, a bunch of random joes, not PHD holding professors who devote their lives to the academics, is telling me that's if I don't know the answer I shouldn't even take a shot? Come on now. I'm working my butt off in high school, but whether I get accepted into college or not comes down to some BS reasoning test that doesn't really test me on what I know and what I learned. The University of California really should of dropped SAT scores out of the admissions process like they were planning to do. More schools would of followed suit.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know how it worked for my admission was my SAT score gereated a number and my GPA in high school generated another number and the two added together determined my rank as far as getting into a University. Folks who mabye got off to a slow start in HS but picked things up thier last year and rocked the SATs got a decent rating, as well as those who had excellent grades but just suck at standardized tests.

As far as predictability goes they aren't perfect but given that they know exactly what their testing for (performance in an academic enviroment) and the long history they've had for review they do a pretty good job.

If you look at the records of thousands and thousands of people who got "X" SAT score and then performed at "Y" level after getting into school you can get a pretty good idea which horse to bet on.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That'd be way too much work to try and implement a standardized grading system. Even with a uniform grading system, certain classes and teachers are going to be harder than others.

The biggest problem with this is that the federal government really doesn't control schools all that much. I mean they do give some money, but constitutionally education is a state right, not the business of the federal government.

Neaden on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    In my experience the only people who think SATs / ACTs / GREs mean anything are the people who do well on them, and everyone else sees them as needless.

I had a friend who bombed his SATs and his GREs, and he's about to get his Masters. I have friends who did well on their SATs / GREs who are dipshits.

The tests only indicate how well a person can take that test and nothing more and I'm pretty sure that is demonstrably the case.

_J_ on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I went through high school bored out of my skull in class. I never did homework (busy PKing miners on UO) but I got A's on all my tests. I was a solid C student as a result of this. If it weren't for the ACTs showing that I was actually intelligent I might not have gotten into college. I graduated in June with an engineering degree, got a job and I'm going to go for my masters (and PE license) as soon as I can. I think this combined system works well, grades for students that study hard but are nervous test takers and standardized tests for the smart and lazy students. Do well on both? Apply to ivy leagues or MIT.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

They aren't as important as you might think, at least at the top level. I had top scores and almost a 4.0 from highschool and I still didn't get into 2 of the 4 schools I applied at (and one of those I got into was a state school). I'm not so good at those BSey "who are you and what do you want to do" or potpourri essays though.

Savant on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    notagame wrote: »

Even then, teachers and administrators can change grades for their favorite students. And teachers also hold the power to give grades, different teachers will give different grades. Two essays by two students, both equally good, but one had a teacher who didn't like him so he gets a B, the other had a teacher who loves him and he gets A+. How are you going to prevent that?
    Anonymous grading.

Numbers instead of names.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What about private schools? I went to a private school. Hmm???

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you go to private school you're probably rich so you can get in most colleges anyhow.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Anonymous grading.

That still doesn't fix grade inflation, though, which I think is a far worse problem than teachers potentially favouring some students over others.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I did make a point of mentioning in my college application that essentially I would be showing up with cash in hand and not asking for finacial aid. I also mentioned that my parents were both alumni, basically I pitched anything and everything I could think of (as tactfuly as possible of course) to get them to look favorably on me.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    saggio wrote: »

Anonymous grading.

That still doesn't fix grade inflation, though, which I think is a far worse problem than teachers potentially favouring some students over others.

The main problem in fixing grade inflation is distinguishing schools that do so from schools that have a high proportion of unusually intelligent students. Both kinds of schools would turn out similar distributions of grades, yet should be treated differently.

With a national grading system, it might be possible to keep track of how students from high school A perform in college B, and use that information to normalize the grades of applicants from A to B. Difficulties would arise when there haven't been enough A->B students to be statistically significant, but a workaround would be to compute some sort of generic difficulty ranking for high schools by seeing how their students perform at all the colleges their alumni matriculate to. That ranking could then be taken into account when considering the applicant's grades.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think everyone who's complaining about this doesn't quite grasp how their unimportance. That is to say, they're considered alongside GPA, extracurriculars, recommendations, essays, and sometimes some other shit. It's a perfectly valid form of educational gauging; SATs judge reasoning ability, ACTs judge knowledge, and GPA is, in my opinion, more of a measure of ability to study and put your nose to the grindstone than straight-up intelligence. There is absolutely no measure for that.

Yeah, I did well on the SATs. Yeah, I supported them before I even took them. They all give colleges more things to base their decision on. As to the "SATs reflect how much time a student has put in, given tests and books and study guides", no. Some students require that, but I do not know a single person who I feel has gotten a score significantly higher than they would have because of the tests. I didn't have a booklet, and I didn't have a course, I just went in and took them, and I stand by my statement that the test judges reasoning ability, because there were things from so long ago that I had forgotten and had to work out myself (mostly geometrical stuff, where I forgot the formula but could use logic to deduce an answer that made sense).

Complaining about counting off for wrong answers is pretty silly too, I think. They don't want people getting incredible lucky streaks and getting scores much higher than they deserve by filling out the answer and just randomly guessing on the rest. I wouldn't feel that way if it weren't for that fact that if you can eliminate two choices (out of five) you're better off guessing than you are leaving it blank. On most questions, eliminating two choices is child's play. They don't exactly discourage guessing; they discourage extremely baseless bubble-filling.

ACTs I'm a little more on the fence about, because that really is a study of knowledge. I don't care how intelligent you are; if you haven't had formal science education, you're going to have a hard time using logic to understand the purpose of mitochondria. To be honest, I haven't taken it, but I took the PLAN (PLAN is to ACT as PSAT is to SAT) and those sorts of questions were on it.

I don't really study, too, so the SAT is a chance for me to prove that I have the know-how to deal with college-level courses. My GPA is entirely a product of my ability to retain and apply knowledge, and to be frank, it does, to some degree, reflect my lack of very hard work. I think that the kids who have a harder time with material but spend two to three hours every night studying absolutely deserve their GPA, probably more than I do, but I'm glad that the SATs, SAT subjects, ACTs and APs give me a way to say to colleges "hey, I'm worth more than my GPA shows". Yes, I understand that an enormous part of college (possibly the biggest) is the ability to buckle-down for an all-night study session, and I don't think that's beyond me, even if I haven't done it yet, but I'd rather the colleges say "Well, maybe he hasn't been stimulated enough yet" rather than "look at that GPA, he must not be very bright". For the record (not to be a pretentious prick) I have a 4.0, but that's with two Bs in AP classes, and those could easily be As, if I had the will to study.

TL;DR: The SATs aren't perfect, but to just base college acceptance off GPA wouldn't be fair to kids that are like me, whether it's because they don't feel the need to study for hours every night to raise a grade by 3 points, because their teachers don't like them, whether they missed three weeks because of an injury, whatever.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The problem is there are millions of students who sound the same on paper and only the tests can help decide that final push. Plus, everyone knows that there is a great deal of luck in the whole application process. Just a roll of the die...or if your parents are rich.

Katholic on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    So long as you refuse to standardise a curriculum across your states, you're stuck with at least some form of standardised assessment as a necessary tool. Shankill's got it right, its hardly the only thing your entry depends on. In QLD, its determined by your final grades plus a more complicated 2-day standard test than the one you use (ie multiple choice is only one part of it). Its a little pressuresome, but we get several practice runs and you can always opt out and take the mature-age entrance pathway a few years later or start at a TAFE and matriculate to uni. Other states have huge final exams for each subject, and these add up to determine your tertiary entrance score. I think those are a lot worse for students, frankly, because one bad day can stuff you up completely.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly, I've always felt like all college should run just like community college. You have the money to go? Welcome to the school.

Now, sure, you can still use various methods to determine scholarships and whatnot, and you can certainly set a given GPA that must be maintained once enrolled...but as far as getting in? Why make it into a big thing?

If I can attend class and keep a good GPA once I'm there, who gives a shit whether I ever even showed up to high school?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Because colleges want intelligent people at their school, necessarily, and those that are motivated? If Harvard or Yale let anyone in who could pay and stay above a 3.0, do you think they would be nearly the prestigious universities they are? Also, the application process helps colleges make the decision for financial aid, as they can definitively say "this dude's so awesome, we'll pay to have him at our school".

And think above all the strapped idiots they'd have to deal with. The administration process would be so bogged down if they had to keep track of every yokel with $40,000 who thought the school would be good, continuously weighing extracurriculars and GPA and ability to go A and B the C of D.

No. No, no, no, no.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meh. SATS are fine. They're an indicator, and there's certainly a positive correlation between score and intelligence (whatever that is). The problem is not with the test, it's with how it's used in admissions. Also, the cases we like to whine about are an extreme minority of cases.

VishNub on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly, I've always felt like all college should run just like community college. You have the money to go? Welcome to the school.

Now, sure, you can still use various methods to determine scholarships and whatnot, and you can certainly set a given GPA that must be maintained once enrolled...but as far as getting in? Why make it into a big thing?

If I can attend class and keep a good GPA once I'm there, who gives a shit whether I ever even showed up to high school?

Looking at statistics for a couple ivy league schools, they get about 20k applications per year. Imagine how many they'd get if people knew they could just get right in. What happens when fifty thousand or more students enroll at all the ivy-league schools every year? I'd guesstimate it'd take at least a decade to build the housing and infrastructure and so forth to support that many students close to campus. All that building is going to take a ton of money, too. Do you really think alumni are going to contribute that money knowing it'll serve to make the school less prestigious? And if not them, where would it come from?

There are also problems on the other end. All those students suddenly going to the top schools have to come from somewhere. Current community colleges would likely see enrollment plummet, to the point where many of them might have to shut down or consolidate.

Smasher on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is this the thread wherein we get to brag about our SAT scores?

But really, the SAT is good at determining what it's supposed to determine: a student's awareness of a sizeable panoply of vocab. words and math up to Algebra 2--maybe a hint of writing skill. Sure, there are courses out there to help you "beat the test", but there are only so many flash cards you can go through each night. It's a roll of the dice for most people out there. And I'm positive most colleges worth a damn aren't going to make it their sole criterion of entrance; they'll take it in context of your academic career. Hell, cross-checking your entrance essay with your SAT essay is a pretty fine idea, in my opinion.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The biggest key to the verbal is to read TONS of books. Though, I suppose they got rid of the analogies, so that's less true now. But you don't have to know what the word means, really, just kind of what it implies a little.

VishNub on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »

When SAT/ACT prep courses and guides can advertise average 100 points of test improvement, then it shows that the test isn't about future college performance but rather standardized test-taking performance, which isn't a major component of most college curricula.

No shit the ACT/SAT measure how well you do on them instead of your "future college performance", that's what they're supposed to do. The ACT and SAT test you on things you're supposed to be learning at school (reading ability, math skills, grammar) and how quickly you're able to do them. Test centers can help people improve their scores, not by teaching them magical test taking techniques, but by helping the students improve on their math, reading, and writing skills.

Without reforming our educational system, how exactly do you propose colleges get a close measure of one student to students all across the country without standardized tests?
    ACTs I'm a little more on the fence about, because that really is a study of knowledge. I don't care how intelligent you are; if you haven't had formal science education, you're going to have a hard time using logic to understand the purpose of mitochondria. To be honest, I haven't taken it, but I took the PLAN (PLAN is to ACT as PSAT is to SAT) and those sorts of questions were on it.

When I took the ACT, the science section was pretty much just like the reading section, only with reading and graphs related to science. There weren't any questions requiring outside knowledge about cells or mitochondria.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    t Vish:

For verbal: Have a good grasp on grammar.
    For math: Be able to do whatever math you learn in 11th grade.
    For the writing: Bullshit it. Seriously. My friend wrote about Lincoln freeing the slaves, I bullshitted something about my "friend," "Bill." Got 620.

EDIT: It doesn't really test how quickly you can do shit, Treeloot. In order to do that, they'd have to time how long it took each person to end each portion of the math/verbals and add them together.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It amazes me that standardized testing still holds so much sway when maybe 90 percent of the educators I've ever met consider them a blight on civilization.

I understand the appeal of standardization, and people can argue that grades alone only reflect an individual experience under very subjective circumstances, which perhaps give a very skewed perspective of a student's abilities.

But honestly, what will your SAT scores reflect if not the sum of many, many highly subjective experiences? I'd say for the most part, your grades in high school and your SAT scores are probably going to have some kind of correlation. That underachieving genius archetype who pulls Cs and scores a straight 1600 (or whatever the hell it is now) is probably a severe minority, as is the persecuted student whose teachers simply wish to punish him or her for their personal differences.

I guess what I'm saying is, why bother with the high pressure standardization if it's ultimately going to reflect the kind of subjectivity its designed to circumvent.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I dunno about the bullshitting on writing... I took the SATs twice, first time I spouted bull and wrote a classic "pretentious literary paper", got a nine, and on the second time I basically just levelled with the test (huh?) and stated my opinion with no larger words than find their way into my daily vocabulary, and got an 11. Bullshit it, sure; but don't bullshit it in the manner that you would an English teacher who searches for overmuch depth in Hemingway books, bullshit it in the way that you would defending an opinion you never had. Both the AP English essay and the SAT were basically "here's something you've never thought about before, but pretend you mull it over every night before bed and convince us you're an expert."

So, uh, yeah, bullshit it. :P

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shank, I'm talking, I really bullshitted, and got a 620, which was my lowest score out of the three parts.
    Like, I made up every single thing. I was amazed that I got more than 200.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Main thing I noticed for the sat writing is to reference some work of high literary merit. The first time I took the writing portion got a 620 and the second time a 710. The second time around I didn't even mange to finish the essay but I referenced some stuff from War and Peace.

To get back on topic, personally I have no problem with the SATs. In my experience most kids don't get too stressed out about it and the ones that do are the kids who are already freaking out about their gpa and class rank.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    But if you bullshitted and get x score and I didn't really bullshit beyond formulating an opinion I didn't really have and got a higher score, shouldn't that prove that bullshitting isn't good?

What did you get on the essay?

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    620 on that essay, without trying at all.
    I'm not saying "Don't try," I'm saying, you can do decent, not great but okay, without trying.
    These scores are really the only thing I have going for me. I have generally meh grades because I don't try in a lot of my classes.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you go to private school you're probably rich so you can get in most colleges anyhow.

No good school is going to have anything other than need-blind admissions policies. Unless you mean that because he is rich, he received a good education and is better-prepared for the SAT and the rigors of college, in which case I agree 100%.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not really sure what the issue is here. Maybe the SATs are culturally / economically biased in and of themselves, but if there's going to be a problem with them, the problem has to be with how they determine your college eligibility. Most colleges consider your SATs along with your high school GPA, the list of classes you took in high school, your recommendations, essays, etc. Plus you can take the SAT every month (is that still true?) if you want, and most colleges will just take your highest score - that helps people who have high test anxiety. Just take it again if you didn't do so well the first time. If you still have high test anxiety and can't get a decent score after several tries, then it's probably still not that much of an issue because colleges take all that other stuff into account.

So, can someone enlighten me as to what the problem is, exactly?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The science section is made up shit that you don't have to know-- I found that the key is being able to flip through several graphs really fast and semi-understand them, then answer questions about it.

And concerning the PLAN test: I took the PLAN in 10th grade and it said I'd probably get a 23-26; I took the ACT the summer after 10th grade and got a 32. PLAN is bullshit.
    My GPA is entirely a product of my ability to retain and apply knowledge, and to be frank, it does, to some degree, reflect my lack of very hard work.

P.S.- I feel that I would probably try harder in school if America's grading system was more discriminate between high grades like France's or the UK's with the A*-- If I know that I can get an 89 one quarter and a 90 the second and have the semester grade be an A (happened with my English grade first semester), why would I bother getting high A's like 97+ when the GPA will remain the same for any old A?

For the record (not to be a pretentious prick) I have a 4.0, but that's with two Bs in AP classes, and those could easily be As, if I had the will to study.

What school do you go to where a 4.0 is a LACK of hard work? At my school, less than 10% of the people get a 4.0.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really don't understand the American school/uni system, it seems so different from the UK.

The only thing that I have noticed is that when American students come to British unis, they are quite often not reallly prepared for uni, their essay writing skills are quite often poor and it can take them a year or so to get up to the level that is expected within Russel Group unis over here.

Saying that, the pattern in Britain is starting to get that way too, with people being taught just the exact ansers to their A-Level papers rather than a lot of the skills we used to be taught and they end up coming to Uni able to recite the ansers to specific questions but the general skills that one should have before coming to Uni are sometimes missing.

I don't completely understand SAT's, but from what I know they seem quite poor even compared to the A-Level system over here, and I am a bit confused as to whether the marking is anonymous over there - it's standard practice for any kind of exam over here. Also, while there will be a reference from a teacher for the University application, there's no kind of GPA system which goes on your application, the only thing the teacher has control over is predicted grades, and it's kinda difficult to play favourites with that as it only takes one year of obviously raising and lowering depending on favouritism and they'll be in deep trouble with their boss as the college/school will get a bad reputation with the Univerities, and no one wants to piss them off!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I really don't understand the American school/uni system, it seems so different from the UK.

We have letter grades, F is 0-59% correct on something, D 60-69, C 70-79, B 80-89, and A 90-100.

GPA is a point system based on semester grades, with an A getting you 4 points, B 3, C 2, D 1, and F 0. As such, a 4.0 GPA SHOULD be the highest possible, but then there's AP (Advanced Placement)/ IB (Internat'l Bac), which ups each letter by 1 point, so you get a 5 with an A, 4 B, 3 C, 2 D, and 0 F again. Because of this, it's entirely possible to get something like a 4.3 at my school, although most of my school's AP classes are in various specific sciences like Biology and Chemistry, so I don't care to take most of them.

Also, grades are rounded to where an 89.5 = A, so you can get an 89 one quarter (B), a 90 the next (A), and end up with an A for the semester, and since different grades that make up an A don't matter for GPA, you can get an 89.5 or a 100 for all that it matters.
    BobCesca wrote: »
    The only thing that I have noticed is that when American students come to British unis, they are quite often not reallly prepared for uni, their essay writing skills are quite often poor and it can take them a year or so to get up to the level that is expected within Russel Group unis over here.

Saying that, the pattern in Britain is starting to get that way too, with people being taught just the exact ansers to their A-Level papers rather than a lot of the skills we used to be taught and they end up coming to Uni able to recite the ansers to specific questions but the general skills that one should have before coming to Uni are sometimes missing.

Talk about teaching to the test: my English class Junior year consisted of reading four books, several poems, and preparing for two tests: the English end of course (Taken at the end of Junior year, if you don't pass you have to take an extra English course as a Senior for no credit), and the ACT, which is the main admissions test in my area of the United States. There were several occasions in my class where the teacher would pull out ACT PRACTICE BOOKS from a bookshelf and have us all take a practice test for the English section...

One of these times I had a fun conversation:
    Me: "Do we really need to take an ACT practice test?"
    Teacher: "Have you taken the ACT yet?"
    Me: "Yes, I got a 32 composite (99th percentile)."
    Teacher: "What was your English score?"
    Me: "My English section was a 31 (99th)."
    Teacher: "Oh, well, why don't you just go ahead and take it anyway?"

Henceforth, I repeatedly complained that I literally had no reason to take the tests as I already had a more-than-acceptable ACT score, but my teacher made the practice tests worth points for your grade and refused to let me sit them out without giving me a 0 for the grade.

I am happy to be out of that class.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg