As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the BEER thread

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm a big fan of newcastle brown ale and hop head. I also had a 710ml bottle of granville island IPA which was fucking spectacular.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I've fallen in love with Sam Adams Light.
    It's very good. They do a good job.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PorkChop, i am preparing to start my own brewing...any tips for a beginner (aside from the obvious "don't move the fermenting tank"...I had a friend...big mistake. Ruined a whole batch)?

Be VERY thorough when sanitizing everything. Make sure you have a big plate that you also sanitized to place anything like spoons or measuring tools. This is one of the most important things hands down.

My first batch was a Cherry Wheat, it wasn't that great. Way too light and not enough cherry taste. I'll have to toy around with the next recipe - a Christmas Ale I'm gonna start once the weather gets colder.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    george you should mail it to the posters in this thread.

for free.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    George, you should let me come to your place and take it.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    george you should mail it to the posters in this thread.

for free.

Damn man, if I had extra space in my apt for more kegs, that wouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling brewing my first batch during the summertime wasn't the smartest idea. It was usually pretty hot in my place when I went to work, and you're supposed to keep the fermenting process between 68-72 degrees...

I'm hoping the Christmas Ale (which I'd like to start around October to give it around 2 months) will be easier to manage with the difference in temperature.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In all serious, I'm near you, I'd take some even at a price. I'd love to be involved in homegrown market.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah. Me too.

I can walk to you.
    I'll pay for good home made beer.

Don't worry, I have a crappy fake, you can check it so you can feel safe.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    so we all getting trashed in george garage now?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    so we all getting trashed in george garage now?

shotgun

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    haha you guys are awesome.

I should order a few extra swing top bottles - those things are badass.

I hope the next batch is good - this one that I'm drinking now is really very light - I'm going to have to skip out on the "Mr Beer Booster" you add in the beginning and use refined sugar instead. I hear this gives the beer a much fuller body...

Does anybody ever watch Beer Nuts on Mojo HD? Some of the episodes are really informative..

The process (with a bit of alcohol on the side, of course)
    image-1.jpg
    image.jpg

What I'm doing this very second:
    img059.jpg

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In regards to what I was saying about temperature issues from brewing in the summertime (which also may be a reason the beer isn't AS good as it could be..) - I just ran across this:

http://www.mrbeer.com/brewmaster.php?menu=sub5&mactive=4&subactive=1

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    vagabondmonkvagabondmonk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks so much for the info. As I live in CA, the temp control tips are actually really useful. I am hoping to get started in the next couple months. Maybe I will chronicle the process here!

vagabondmonk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That would be awesome - photograph everything! Read a bit before you start - sanitation is clutch

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    George - pick yourself up a corny keg and start using a draft system. Beats the hell out of using bottles any day. ;-)

For all the guys on the fence about brewing beer, it's really simple and fun. It just takes some preparation. Most homebrew stores sell beginner's kits and are more than willing to give advice on how to get started.

Basic steps to brew beer:
    1)Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. This is really, really, really important.
    2)Cook wort (pronounced "wert"). This is the guts of the beer.
    3)Ferment wort. Here, you add more water to your wort, and "pitch" the yeast. Yeast makes beer, beer! Yay yeast!
    4)Bottle beer. Don't drink it yet!
    5)Condition beer. Leave it for a few weeks so that it gets really good.
    6)Drink beer. I think most of us can handle this part.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DRxAndyDRxAndy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Djeet wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    is it just me or does Hoegarrden taste liek 50 times better on tap than bottled?

does beer ever taste better bottled than on tap? seriously, i'm not sure. i mean, you'd THINK tap would always be better, but i'm no expert

seems like it always tastes better on tap to me.

belgian whites (like hoegaarden) as well as hefeweizens seem to sour much quicker in the bottle than a lot of other beers. hoegaarden in the bottle can be quite good, just not if it's been sitting on the shelf for awhile.

is Celis white good again? it was awesome when it was independently run back when, but with the ownership changes it turned to shiite. i see it's got a new label and was wondering if it was maybe good again.

The celis line got bought up by michigan brewing company of webberville, mi (ps. they rock)
    they have many tasty beverages, not the finest in the state imo, but very very good

and MBC celis line tastes wonderful to me

DRxAndy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is there any reason why my Cherry Wheat brew has a kind of salty-ish aftertaste?

I'm trying to target all the kinks before I start a Christmas Ale..

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    george-x wrote: »
    Is there any reason why my Cherry Wheat brew has a kind of salty-ish aftertaste?
    D:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dogfish Head Espresso Porter was awesome.

Variable on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Alright, Im at work so not enough time for reading of the entire thread, but I most declare my love for Dead Guy ale! It is truly delicious and full of greatness.

Dead_Guy_Ale.gif

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I bought a bunch of random beers the other day, and found a few that didn't suck (although two of them I already knew that, hence why I purchased them).

Xingu Black Beer
    It's from Brazil, is a black color, but doesn't taste like a dark beer. It doesn't have that "woody" aftertaste.
    Xingu-bottle.jpg

Chili Beer
    This shit has a jalapeño floating in it, and I thought hey cool I can drink spicy beer. Nope. Wrong. I can't. I wouldn't buy it again, but hey, you only live once. Might as well drink a flaming hot beer at least once.
    Chili%20Beer%20Poster%20CROPPED%201000.jpg

Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale
    What can I say about this beer? It's perfect. The foil can be obnoxious to peel off the bottle, but once you got that tasty beer out of there and into a pint glass, it's heaven.
    ss_nutbrown_bott.gif

Liberty Ale
    I bought this thinking 1) I'd be a good American and 2) it would taste good. Well, it's from San Francisco so I was wrong on both accounts. My friend loves this one, so I won't burn it entirely, but take pause before letting patriotism decide your beer choices. Tastes kinda like Bass.
    libertyale_bottle.jpg

Brooklyn Brown Ale
    Another good beer. Similar to Samuel Smith's Nut Brown, but not as good (you can punch me later). Still, it comes in a six pack whereas Samuel Smith comes in a four pack. So that's definitely a victory!
    00451s.gif

Hog Heaven Barleywine-Style Beer
    This was okay, but I will boost it to exceptional because I'm an Arkansas Razorback fan. Go Hogs!
    71.jpg

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed Samuel Smith's Nut Brown as well. as for the Brooklyn, I've only had their Lager (at Shea stadium) but I've been thinking about trying their other stuff. probably next time I go beer shopping :D.

Variable on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh I forgot one more thing. Be on the lookout for this new pizza-flavored beer, Mamma Mia. I shit you not....

http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/main.html

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I brew my own beer too! :)

Admitedly, I've just started, waiting for my beer to condition, the torture! I'm just using a beer kit for now, how different is using malt extract and hops? My friends keep complaining about my beer having a pussy 3.6% alcohol percent, is there anyway to increase it?

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    you guys are right
    there are like millions of beers at all the grocery stores and whatnot here in nyc

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    you guys are right
    there are like millions of beers at all the grocery stores and whatnot here in nyc

Oh yeah, you started school. How do you like being back?

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    you guys are right

You mean I'm right :P

also Brooklyn is eh not too great. Anchor Liberty is ok but if oyu want their good stuff try to find Anchor Steam beer. Much fuller bodies and unique tasting.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    you guys are right

Oh yeah, you started school. How do you like being back?
    It's been good, but now that work is picking up... it is hard as well. I live right on Broadway... above a restaurant whose onion rings I can smell right now and goddamn.

On topic, I tried Negra Modelo, that was decent, and my dad bought some Sam Adam's Black Lager and that was good too.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So when we all goin ot get hammered?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

What kind of water are you using? Tap?

What was the recipe you used?

It doesn't sound like infection, that usually yeilds a vinegar-y taste. You bottled it, right? Were the bottles overcarbonated? Did the salty taste differ from bottle to bottle?
    I brew my own beer too! :)

Admitedly, I've just started, waiting for my beer to condition, the torture! I'm just using a beer kit for now, how different is using malt extract and hops? My friends keep complaining about my beer having a pussy 3.6% alcohol percent, is there anyway to increase it?

There are 3 main types of brewing - Extract, Partial Grain, and All-Grain. Hops are used in all 3 types of brewing for bittering and aromatics.

Now, you can buy canned Liquid Malt Extract (LME) that has been "hopped". Essentially, this allows you to skip the hopping step in brewing beer. If you buy regular unhopped LME or DME (Dry Malt Extract) you will have to hop it during the boil. This takes time (usually 60 minutes for your bittering hops) and specific weights, types (there are 3), and breeds (there are tons). There are usually 2 sets of hops used in beer, sometimes 3. The first set (Bittering) bitters the beer. The second set (Finishing) releases aromatics into the beer. All these factors can make using hops impractical for the beginning brewer, which is why using hopped LME is reccomended for brewbies.

You can increase alcohol percent in a beer by adding more yeast/yeast food ("stronger" wort), but it's not something you should really tinker around with until you really know what you're doing. When your friends make fun of you for having "weak" beer kindly remind them that while they're chugging adjuncts, fillers, and dogwater in a can and you're enjoying a nice frosty brew that you made with your own two hands.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

It doesn't sound like infection, that usually yeilds a vinegar-y taste. You bottled it, right? Were the bottles overcarbonated? Did the salty taste differ from bottle to bottle?

I think the salty aftertaste is constant from bottle to bottle...
    I used the Mr Beer cherry wheat recipe, which included canned cherries on top of the standard beer ingredients...I believe I used tap, but I had to boil it first so I would assume it was clean.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I used the Mr Beer cherry wheat recipe, which included canned cherries on top of the standard beer ingredients...I believe I used tap, but I had to boil it first so I would assume it was clean.

I have never done much home brewing, but I work at a large microbrew. You say you used tap water. Is it well water or city water? What kind of yeast did you use? Does the beer taste at all phenolic?

EDIT: You say you used canned cherries. What were they suspended in? How was your fermentation (short/quick, hot/cooler, etc.). Also what kind of fining process (if any) did you use?

Misanthropic on
  • Options
    EsotericEsoteric Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.hopback.co.uk/beer-shop-news/hop_back_has_big_plans_for_summer_lightning_2006_12_29.php

Summer Lightning is possibly the greatest ale in the world; it’s won countless awards & tastes unbelievable (no idle claim).

Tastes fantastic out of the bottle but it’s at its zenith from the pump (as with most beers).

The English take their beer very seriously & have the greatest selection & finest in the world.

Other contenders to the throne are.

LANDLORD
    A Classic Strong Pale Ale, Landlord has won more awards nationally than any other beer: This includes four times as Champion at the Brewers' International Exhibition and four times as CAMRA’s beer of the year.

OLD HOOKY
    A beautifully balanced beer, fruity by nature, with a well-rounded body and the suggestive echo of Crystal Malt.

Brains SA The Legendary Welsh Ale
    The renowned ‘special ale’ is copper coloured with a full premium quality flavour. A nutty richness derived from a blend of fine pale and crystal malts is balanced with a satisfying dryness from the unique use of three hops : Challenger, Goldings and Fuggles. The aroma has a hint of spirit which adds to the legendary mystique of this premium cask beer.

How do you post images, other than inserting from the image icon?

Esoteric on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

My friends keep talking about me spiking my beer and to giving to them as 'gifts'. That salty aftertaste is ominous.....D:

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I had a beer last night that tasted like Trix. It was a wheat beer, but I can't remember the name right now. I'll get it later.

I don't see drinking it extremely often, but it's a great summer beer. Easily the most I've ever experience the fruit flavor come through a beer.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    but trix are for kids

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Turned 21 in June.

So far, I've tried...

• Miller: Few years back. My dad let me take a quick swig off of it. It was okay, I guess.

• Guinness: I hated the stuff. Too fucking bitter. Is there any sort of beer that.. you know, doesn't taste awfully bitter?

• Arrogant Bastard Ale: I liked it better than Guinness, but that wasn't saying much.

• Asahi: Getting there. I liked this one the most so far, but it still could do with less... bitter.

Smirnoff Twist/Ice: My favorite. It's labeled as "Beer", but I really don't fucking think this counts. Still fucking good.

Those chocolate aftertaste ones seem interesting. Which direction do my tastes seem to be pointing? So far, I really prefer stuff with more flavor than punch.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That Sam Adams Black Lager stuff has chocolatey coffee aftertaste and is not too bitter

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was up at Penn State Main last weekend and had Lions Head for the first time.
    Now, we don't have it in my part of the state and I'm pretty sure it's "cheap college beer" but I thought it was pretty good for what it was. And the bottle caps have those cool picture dealies that you turn into sentences.

Edit : the RateBeer.com that somebody linked had some decent stuff to say about it.
    Looks like my new cheap party case of choice.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Turned 21 in June.

So far, I've tried...

• Miller: Few years back. My dad let me take a quick swig off of it. It was okay, I guess.

• Guinness: I hated the stuff. Too fucking bitter. Is there any sort of beer that.. you know, doesn't taste awfully bitter?

• Arrogant Bastard Ale: I liked it better than Guinness, but that wasn't saying much.

• Asahi: Getting there. I liked this one the most so far, but it still could do with less... bitter.

Smirnoff Twist/Ice: My favorite. It's labeled as "Beer", but I really don't fucking think this counts. Still fucking good.

Those chocolate aftertaste ones seem interesting. Which direction do my tastes seem to be pointing? So far, I really prefer stuff with more flavor than punch.

Wheat beers. You would like wheat beers. Good ones are crisp, refreshing, flavorful beers.

Also, that last bit, yeah, not beer. Bitch beer, not beer.

Wonder_Hippie on