As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Discussion With a Youth Pastor

WindbitWindbit Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I talked to my Church's youth pastor today (My parents make me go to Church). He doesn't know that I am a skeptic; he just thinks I'm a Christian who's trying to understand God's Word. I talked to him for about 2 hours, and here are some of his personal beliefs that I find interesting.

1)He doesn't believe it is possible to know why God created the world the way he did, but that God created the world the best way it could be without being perfect. Humans can only experience a perfect world after death through belief in Jesus Christ.

2)When asked if people who have never heard the Gospel are judged by it, he replied that Jesus is the only way to salvation. I gave the example of Asians who lived too far from Israel in Jesus' day to have ever been able to hear about Jesus, and thus could not make the choice to choose or refuse him. He said that even though his answer may not be well received, he told me that he thought it was the Biblical answer: they would die and go to Hell. I commented on how unfair it is that they were condemned for living where God put them. This lead him to what I believe was his most important statement.

3)God is a loving God. However, He loves Himself more than His creation. We sinned, so therefore we deserve to suffer. It is only through the grace of God that we get to enjoy life at all, and that he would give us the chance to be redeemed through Jesus Christ. As for how unfair it is that people can live life without ever learning of Christianity and be condemned to Hell because of it, he replied that everyone is condemned because of the sin of Adam and Eve. It was unfair to God for them to disobey him. He said he isn't 100% sure about this final part, but that he believes that God is not obligated to be fair to His creation. God doesn't care if something is fair or not, not even things that could determine a person's eternal destination.

I personally don't understand how people could find hope in a God who doesn't care about the unfair circumstances he makes for his creation. "What if you were born in a region where you never got to here the Gospel, never chose to refuse salvation, but died and went to Hell anyway?" I asked him. He didn't give me a straight answer on that, but I assume that he accepted that God doesn't have an obligation to be fair to him either.

Windbit on

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    So . . . good luck with your meeting I guess.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    God is a jerk.

And everyone was created in his image.

A whole universe full of jerks.

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think that's what they call a plot hole. Suspend your disbelief, I guess!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You don't need to seek validation from the internet. It's paramount that you figure this out for yourself.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    My family's church got around problem #2 by pointing out that those who hadn't heard would be given the opportunity to learn right at armageddon, by ye olde avenging angels or whatever. I can't help but think that their belief would be kind of a no-brainer, though :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know how you could ever get an answer to something like this online. It's not entirely debatable, as it's literally a matter of faith.

That said, I don't know your pastor, but if those were really his answers, then I'm going to have to say he's not, well, helping you. There's a lot of other scholarship if you are interested in learning about it that might explain it in better terms, or at least make your decision not to believe more firm, if that's how you choose to go.

A lot of what you wrote in here is pretty false by biblical standards.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you are actually skeptical and you were not using that as euphemism for some sort of non-thiest belief, I'd recommend talk to folks at diffrent churches/meetings/synagogues.

There are a panoply of other answers out there, and just about the only one that would be consistent across Christianity, as far as I can see, would be the first sentence of #1.

edit: The first clause of #1.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »

The problem with 'biblical standards' is that the Bible (KJV is the only one I've read so I can't speak to Hebrew/Aramaic) is vague and seemingly contradictory. Hence you get peace and love hippie Christians and hellfire and brimstone Christians basing their 'faith' on the same texts.

Edit: also Redx: that is a funny sig.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    God is a jerk.

And everyone was created in his image.

A whole universe full of jerks.

Everything makes sense if you add this into the equation.

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Windbit wrote: »
    I talked to my Church's youth pastor today (My parents make me go to Church). He doesn't know that I am a skeptic; he just thinks I'm a Christian who's trying to understand God's Word. I talked to him for about 2 hours, and here are some of his personal beliefs that I find interesting.

1)He doesn't believe it is possible to know why God created the world the way he did, but that God created the world the best way it could be without being perfect. Humans can only experience a perfect world after death through belief in Jesus Christ.

I know I don't post here often, but I read quite a bit and wanted to respond to this.

I can't believe that he said that. The Bible clearly says that God is perfect, so I don't know where he would get that from.
    2)When asked if people who have never heard the Gospel are judged by it, he replied that Jesus is the only way to salvation. I gave the example of Asians who lived too far from Israel in Jesus' day to have ever been able to hear about Jesus, and thus could not make the choice to choose or refuse him. He said that even though his answer may not be well received, he told me that he thought it was the Biblical answer: they would die and go to Hell. I commented on how unfair it is that they were condemned for living where God put them. This lead him to what I believe was his most important statement.

Also wrong. In Romans (right off the top of my head I can't remember what chapter it's in, but I'll look it up in a little bit) it says some important things about God's law. One thing it says is that those who have not heard the law (God's law) will not be judged, but will instead be judged by 1) what is in their heart and 2) the laws by which they live. This applies to those places to those places where people have never heard Gods word, like those jungle tribes, asian culture during Bible times, etc. Those people still have a chance to go to Heaven by God's own word.
    3)God is a loving God. However, He loves Himself more than His creation. We sinned, so therefore we deserve to suffer. It is only through the grace of God that we get to enjoy life at all, and that he would give us the chance to be redeemed through Jesus Christ. As for how unfair it is that people can live life without ever learning of Christianity and be condemned to Hell because of it, he replied that everyone is condemned because of the sin of Adam and Eve. It was unfair to God for them to disobey him. He said he isn't 100% sure about this final part, but that he believes that God is not obligated to be fair to His creation. God doesn't care if something is fair or not, not even things that could determine a person's eternal destination.

I'm curious as to what church denomination you attend. Believe me when I say I'm not trying to be an ass, but this guy is full of crap. He obviously has no idea whatsoever what the Bible actually says, and it hurts me that he's teaching this sort of stuff to today's youth. The Bible warns of people like this, "wolves in sheep's clothing".

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    My family's church got around problem #2 by pointing out that those who hadn't heard would be given the opportunity to learn right at armageddon, by ye olde avenging angels or whatever. I can't help but think that their belief would be kind of a no-brainer, though :P

This is strange to me. Assuming those people have never had the choice and so they are now dead when Armaggedon comes, they have therefore experienced Hell and know that the religion that was "correct" was one they weren't aware of, right?

So, Armaggedon comes and they're pulled out of hell and told "K, so you were in hell 'cause you weren't Christians, but you can be Christians now if you want or you can go back to hell, either way you've been punished for something over which you had no control."

First of all, I think the average person would be like "fuck, yah, I'm Christian." but at the same time they'd be like; "And also, I hate you motherfuckers!"

Not to mention that at that point it's kinda moot, I mean it's about Faith, so if you remove all doubt then it's not faith, it's knowledge which isn't the same thing. If I tell you that I have an apple and if you believe in the apple then you get to go to heaven, if I then show you the apple you no longer "believe" in it, you know it's there. So, does that mean you still get to go to heaven being that you no longer "believe"?

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »

The problem with 'biblical standards' is that the Bible (KJV is the only one I've read so I can't speak to Hebrew/Aramaic) is vague and seemingly contradictory. Hence you get peace and love hippie Christians and hellfire and brimstone Christians basing their 'faith' on the same texts.

Edit: also Redx: that is a funny sig.

Crashtard pretty much nailed what I was referring to, but I didn't want to start quoting scripture. But here's what I was thinking:

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.

A Christian "loophole" if you will, that there will be a judgment based on your deeds should you not be a believer.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Crashtard wrote: »

I'm curious as to what church denomination you attend. Believe me when I say I'm not trying to be an ass, but this guy is full of crap. He obviously has no idea whatsoever what the Bible actually says, and it hurts me that he's teaching this sort of stuff to today's youth. The Bible warns of people like this, "wolves in sheep's clothing".
    I too would like to know what church denomination you attend. I mean, "God loves Himself more than His creation" goes against everything I've ever been taught about God and Christianity.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    I too would like to know what church denomination you attend. I mean, "God loves Himself more than His creation" goes against everything I've ever been taught about God and Christianity.

Book of Job?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    but Satan double dog dared him to do it.

You wouldn't worship a deity that would back down from a dare would you?

redx on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Book of Job?
    (Keeping in mind I've never actually read Job, so what I know about it is pretty much what I've been told about it by various sources.)

"God tests His creation" is a rather different statement from "God loves Himself over His creation", wouldn't you say?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    "God tests His creation" is a rather different statement from "God loves Himself over His creation", wouldn't you say?

You really should read it.

Because whoever suggested it was like that is a lying shit, or was lied to by a lying shit.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    "God proves a point to Satan, and in the process makes Job suffer horibly, and kill(and sends to hell if your a christian, right?) his wife and children(and slaves?)." would be more accurate.

aside from they whole Omniscience thing, he was using Job to prove how much his followers loved him. That the most faithful ones would bear almost any amount of suffering and would not loose their faith and subservience to him.

redx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's actually not Lucifer.

It's an accuser angel.

I don't think they even HAD Lucifer back when that was written. I know they didn't have an afterlife yet.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Note how I did not say Lucifer, and said Satan instead.

Satan translating to roughly accuser or opposer or some shit like that.

edit:I'm not sure if you were correcting or clarifying there.

Well, wasn't Lucifer kinda ret-con'ed into the bible anyway? I mean, timeline-wise, he was back during genesis, but it was not mentioned until the new testament, right?

redx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, Satan is "adversary."

Trust me on this.

It's been studied.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    book of job is pretty hardcore. i think they need to take that one out. that and leviticus too probably. leviticus is the one with all the pyscho laws right?

the bible needs a better editor.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    In the Old Testament the word Satan originally meant ‘adversary’, the supernatural being that Yahweh allowed to test Job, ‘a perfect and an upright man’.
    It has indeed been studied.

Not by me mind you. I only read some random version of the bible when I was little. Re-read later by itself for one religion and one religious lit class. and of course just typed shit in google.

I, and those sourses and my memories, may all be wrong, cause I have never actually read a non-translated bible. But using Satan to describe God's foil in the book of Job, does not seem to be incorrect based on any of that.

redx on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As a youth pastor myself, it's important to understand that in many denominations, there is no requirement to have gone through Theology training or something along the same lines. So just because it is a personal belief of the youth pastor does not mean it is the official position of the denomination itself, or is sound according to biblical teachings.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I stopped giving Christianity a chance when I finished reading Nahum and suddenly came to the understanding that the vast majority of Christians fail to recognize the innate, unavoidable, fatal problems in Mosaic theocracy because they hadn't read their own texts.

Everything Christianity is based on is contradictory shit, and that's why you're getting these fucked up answers. Truly devout Christians are incapable of intellectually consistent explanations of their religion because none exist.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Werrick wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »

This is strange to me. Assuming those people have never had the choice and so they are now dead when Armaggedon comes, they have therefore experienced Hell and know that the religion that was "correct" was one they weren't aware of, right?

No, noone has experienced hell yet since the end of the world obviously hasn't come and so Jesus hasn't been able to sit in judgement of the living and the dead. Didn't you have to recite the basics of faith before getting communion, or is that just a Catholic thing? You heathen.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    redx wrote: »
    I, and those sourses and my memories, may all be wrong, cause I have never actually read a non-translated bible. But using Satan to describe God's foil in the book of Job, does not seem to be incorrect based on any of that.

I got my information from a university course, by a guy who studies comparative theological texts among other things, for a living.

Here's something that points out a lot of similar things.

Most of the things associated with Lucifer and satans were tacked on AFTERWARDS by the Christians when they got into their whole hellfire thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1087616

--

Seriously, I think people get most of their theology from Biblically-inspired fiction rather than actual religious texts.

Like the whole idea of people turning in to angels. HAHAHAHAH.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »
    book of job is pretty hardcore. i think they need to take that one out. that and leviticus too probably. leviticus is the one with all the pyscho laws right?

What do you expect from a Pagan Emperor? He just wanted it on his desk before the orgy.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Do Jews even have an evil figure? Is there a Lucifer, Satan, what-have-you in Jewish mythology? It's always struck me as incredibly contradictory to the concept of an omnipotent deity, which the Torah and the Pentateuch certainly assert over and over and over and over and over and over...

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »

What do you expect from a Pagan Emperor? He just wanted it on his desk before the orgy.

Oh Constantine, you silly twat.

Thanks for the crazies, you fuck.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Do Jews even have an evil figure?

Guilt

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hah, toosh.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aren't the nice Christians all about the New Testament while the hellfire and brimstone are all about the Old Testament?

I haven't read either Bible, but isn't god a lot nicer in the New Testament?

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Aren't the nice Christians all about the New Testament while the hellfire and brimstone are all about the Old Testament?

The last few of Paul's letters get pretty rough. The NT is alright, but the fact that it's inextricably tied to the hateful baggage that is the OT really diminishes any sort of moral value you could draw from it. There are better philosophies of life, morality, ethics, etc. in other religions that don't have as much of the violence, hatred, and shit throwing.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Jesus was sort of into lakes of fire and gnashing teeth.

Kinky bastard*.

* And technically, he IS a bastard.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I talked to my Church's youth pastor today

That was your first mistake. Youth Pastors are sort of the G4 version of Pastors. They're wild and crazy and hip to how the kids talk these days, with their jeans and their hair. And they love Christ in that totally wacky and hip non-sexual way.

_J_ on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »

sounds reasonable, cause, you know, orgies.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The last few of Paul's letters get pretty rough. The NT is alright, but the fact that it's inextricably tied to the hateful baggage that is the OT really diminishes any sort of moral value you could draw from it. There are better philosophies of life, morality, ethics, etc. in other religions that don't have as much of the violence, hatred, and shit throwing.

I'm curious; is it fun, bashing things that you really don't know anything about?

Edit: See what I did there? I can say random things and make other people sound wrong too. I really think that before you start telling someone they are wrong you ought to find out what's really being said. The Bible is like a transformer: there's more than meets the eye.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Crashtard wrote: »

I'm curious; is it fun, bashing things that you really don't know anything about?

Edit: See what I did there? I can say random things and make other people sound wrong too. I really think that before you start telling someone they are wrong you ought to find out what's really being said. The Bible is like a transformer: there's more than meets the eye.

All of which you've arbitrarily placed there. Or, was that not the type of response you were expecting? A college education is good for a great deal, especially when it comes from an incredibly conservative private college in the bible belt.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    I talked to my Church's youth pastor today

That was your first mistake. Youth Pastors are sort of the G4 version of Pastors. They're wild and crazy and hip to how the kids talk these days, with their jeans and their hair. And they love Christ in that totally wacky and hip non-sexual way.

Youth Paster is just a fancy title for "Intern Salesman."

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.