As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft Admits ALL Xbox360's Are Defective

victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
*Debunked*

Microsoft Admits *ALL* Xbox360's Are Defective
If you thought that Sony was the only console manufacturer having a really bad day, guess again. After many months of public complaints and outcries, Microsoft has publically admitted that *ALL* (as in every single one ever sold) Xbox360's have a design defect that can lead to their failure. Though Robbie Bach, head of Microsoft's Xbox360 Division refused to elaborate on the issue, the general consensus is that it's one of botched thermal design management and inadequate dissipation of heat leading to component failure. All of the nearly 12 million units currently in the hands of consumers are effected. Though Microsoft has not issued a global recall, they have tripled the warranty coverage period, and are expected to have to dole out over $1 Billion to correct the situation. CRN Australia Reports...

Microsoft facing US$1.15bn Xbox 360 repair bill
Software giant admits there are 11.6 million faulty consoles, which it will have to fix.

Microsoft has admitted that every one of the 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles sold in the past 19 months suffers from a design flaw that could cause the device to fail.

The firm will extend the warranty coverage from one to three years to compensate consumers, but does not plan to instate a recall or exchange programme.

Microsoft gaming chief Robbie Bach claimed in a conference call with financial analysts that the design issues surfaced recently.

"In the past couple of months we started to see significant increases in repair requests and call requests and significant attention from people," he said.

Microsoft did not disclose the exact nature of the problems, but said that it had made the necessary design changes and that units currently in stock will be upgraded.

The extended warranty period is limited to hardware failures indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. Users of consoles suffering from such problems are entitled to free repairs and shipping.

Microsoft estimated that the repairs will cost the company US$1.05bn to US$1.15bn, spilt evenly between the higher than expected return rates for existing consoles under the one-year warranty, and future returns under the extended warranty period.

And after seeing 360 E3 coverage, I was actually about to get a 360. Fucking damnit doesn't describe what I think.

Anybody think it'll get to the point where a recall will be required?

Hopefully this wasn't posted already somewhere, I searched and didn't find anything where Microsoft admits all 360's are defective.

*Debunked*

It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
victor_c26 on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Sorry. I know this sucks for everybody with a 360.

I guess there are too many 360s out there to do a recall like Nintendo did with the Famicom.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I knew they'd extended the warrenty coverage technically admiting there is a problem in some units, although I didn't think they'd come right out and said that "all" 360's are defective ...

Bamelin on
  • Options
    NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it's quite refreshing to see a console company behave in this manner. I don't own any consoles (just handhelds) so try not to take this as fanboyism, but I doubt you'd see sony come right out and say something like this.

But I really just wished they'd gotten it right the first time. I mean come on, they didn't cool the damn thing properly? It's not like the biggest software company in the world designed the thing or anything

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, I'll be damned. I knew the failure rate was high, but I thought it was blown out of proportion. Oh well, Microsoft is paying for it big time.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wonder if this means I'll get a refund on the extended warrenty I purchased from Microsoft?

Time to give customer service a ring.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Well at least they can afford to man up to it.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, if my XBOX 360 fails I want it to fail before my warranty expires and after they develop new, non-defective units.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I wonder why they never found out about the problem while testing the thing for problems.

Couscous on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, I dont want to derail the thread so if somebody could just PM me or something a link to why Sony is having a bad day as well I would appreciate it. I just bought a PS3 today. And that first link is not loading for me.

rts on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    lol Sony.

I mean Microsoft.

In all honesty, Microsoft may be the losers here, but gamers win big. 3-year warranty for all 360 owners (even retroactively), and it sets a big precedent as far as hardware companies taking responsibility for bad products.

Even as a 360 owner I never thought I'd say this, but: <3 Microsoft.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    breakzbreakz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Agreed. Besides, Gizmodo had a report on how 360s are getting new heatsinks now.

To be honest though, this is a letdown. The Ring of Death has kept me from any 360-related gaming for the last 2.5 months now.

breakz on
    thechompman.gif
    Now Playing - GRAW, FFIII DS, Ninja Gaiden Black, Phoenix Wright
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I wonder why they never found out about the problem while testing the thing for problems.

Did they ever say that? It's possible they knew it could be an issue, but they needed to get the system out on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to overlook it in order to get an edge on the next gen consoles.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Did they ever say that? It's possible they knew it could be an issue, but they needed to get the system out on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to overlook it in order to get an edge on the next gen consoles.

Yeah, but you would think they would have put a new heatsink in as quickly as possible and quietly replace the older 360s that eventually broke down.

Couscous on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are these sources reliable? Because they look shady.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow. So, I wonder how much the 360 has cost MS all together now?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    3 Year warranty is good thing, but man, that's pretty shitty. Gaming on a time bomb isn't fun.

A part of wonders how much that changes their profitability plan...and what's gonna happen to the team/guy that made that particular call.

Doesn't their new Falcon console launch soon?

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I've heard that this alone will end up costing something in the order of millions.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm wondering how Sony would react to this...

"We're announcing a new, retroactive feature on your powerful PS3. It's a bold step forward in modern computing and the integration of the games console in to the family home. To be frank, your PS3 is now part of your house's heating system! The heat produced by the console is actually super-nice and lovely, analysts say, and frankly who wouldn't want to curl up to a burning hot black box on a chilly winter night. I know I wouldn't!"

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Iriah wrote: »

"We're announcing a new, retroactive feature on your powerful PS3. It's a bold step forward in modern computing and the integration of the games console in to the family home. To be frank, your PS3 is now part of your house's heating system! The heat produced by the console is actually super-nice and lovely, analysts say, and frankly who wouldn't want to curl up to a burning hot black box on a chilly winter night. I know I wouldn't!"

When will it explode? Nobody knows! It's the best game ever!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where exactly has Microsoft admitted that all 360's are defective? Because until I see a press release this sounds like conjecture based on the new warranty plan.

Notice that they have quotes that were said around the time the warranty was introduced, but no quotes from when Microsoft "admitted" this.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Iriah wrote: »

:lol:

This reminds me of the story about the PS3 killed that 1up guy's 360 (left both in a glass cabinet D:). I found it funny, only because I don't have kids to press the PS button--that can be a pain sometimes with the remote.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I've heard that this alone will end up costing something in the order of millions.

You... what?

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i assume the 3 year warranty is effective from date of purchase if you registered your console?

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited July 2007

They set aside 1 billion dollars to use to repair defective units.

http://news.filefront.com/25-million-xbox-360s-reported-defective/
    It’s been a bad week for Microsoft. After various reports of “red rings of death” that prompted a move to extend their system’s warranty to three years, the total number of defective Xboxes are starting to come to light. According to Fox News, the latest numbers show an estimated 2.5 million Xbox 360s have been reported as defective. Yeah…that’s a lot. This would definitely explain why the company intends to put about $1.1 billion towards solving the issue.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    i assume the 3 year warranty is effective from date of purchase if you registered your console?

You are correct sir.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nozz wrote: »

You... what?

Why have 1.15 billion when you can have.... millions?

drevil_million_dollars.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If I got my 360 back in June, does that mean the defect is gone?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    do you happen to know if i can check that on my xbox.com profile or anything?

i really want to make sure this sucker is covered.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Cantido wrote: »

I don't believe they have fixed it yet, just admitted to it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where have they pubically admitted this?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Maybe. I heard they started putting heatsinks into them. Guess the only way you will find out without voiding the warranty is to wait and see.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Nobody knows this but Microsoft. If it breaks again though, the replacement shouldn't have the same problem.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sitting here very glad that I have not purchased a 360 yet. I want one, but good lord am I waiting for the long haul now.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Um... they haven't admitted anything from the looks of it. This type of thing would be handled with a press release that all major sites would post, not just some unknown Australian site.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They are also getting sued for a separate problem.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/10352.cfm
    Yesterday, an unhappy Xbox 360 user filed a class action lawsuit against Microsoft over damage done to his discs by the console. What does the gamer want out of the lawsuit? All his games replaced or "equal monetary compensation" for them.

The gamer claims that the laser in the Xbox 360 caused permanent damage to his retail bought games and that the attached documentation that comes with the system does not mention anything or advise against moving the console while it is turned on.

The lawsuit also states that damage can occur while the console is stationery.
    This is a bad week for Microsoft.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There is no such news at Kotaku, Joystiq, or even neogaf. Highly Suspect.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

And if it's not on those sites, it's definitely not true!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well a lawsuit that results in a few hundred dollars loss isn't going to kill them.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That makes me think it is true.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

And if it's not on those sites, it's definitely not true!

Better check Spong

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.